TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby 16 cycles » January 11th, 2022, 1:41 pm

agent007 wrote:....

We haven't started to talk about rack ends which is affected regardless of design. Basically the government wants us to buy trucks and vans. I don't care if you have a new RAV4 or some garbage Sportage, all can't take the kind of licks I seeing with these bad roads especially passing there repeatedly.......

this sums up what i'm seeing as well...

thanks for the break down on suspension designs for the models available....i feel van is where it at..or

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 11th, 2022, 4:06 pm

agent007 wrote:In theory, pickups with the traditional leaf spring suspension to the back is better for load and bad roads. The Frontier LE (D23) comes with a 5 link setup with coil springs which improves ride quality but lessens the load capacity imo.

Cars and bad roads are unavoidable so the traditional Mc Pherson strut for the front and a rear torsion beam is better. It's a much simpler setup and shouldn't hurt the pocket when time to change suspension parts.

Cars with double wishbones and rear independent multi link is nice for sporty handling but has more parts to go bad in rough roads and therefore can escalate repair/replacement costs.

So examples of cars with simple Mc Pherson struts up front and torsion beams to the back are:

Most Corollas for the past 2 decades, B14, B15, B17, Y10, Y11, Y12, P10, P11, P12, A33, City, Ciaz, Swift, Accent, Rio, Cerato, Elantra, Cruze, 4th gen Mazda 3 etc.

The majority of Mazda 3's (2003 to 2019) as well as Lancers and Civics have an IRS design. Then we have the B12, B13, AE101, AE111 etc which had IRS back then. I would imagine these cars would be more costly to maintain suspension wise.

We haven't started to talk about rack ends which is affected regardless of design. Basically the government wants us to buy trucks and vans. I don't care if you have a new RAV4 or some garbage Sportage, all can't take the kind of licks I seeing with these bad roads especially passing there repeatedly.

In Couva, there's a stretch of road by the helipad known as Camden Rd. My good Lord it bad! I saw a Tiida dropped down its entire front subframe into a hole and dragged everything under it until the driver articulated back onto a better section. His front bumper got damaged and he cracked some clips not to mention the front shields got loose and started to drag onto the front wheels.

The more we subject our cars to this treachery, the car parts owners will win big time. Fortunately for Tiida man, Double R was a mere 3-4 minute drive away.
The new Corolla is IRS from what I know, the new Sentra will also change from beam to IRS also, the Mazda 3 changed from IRS to beam like you said, not sure about the civic the Elantra is beam also unless you get an ' n line ' or ' N ' version which we don't get unfortunately Al though I don't think those N versions would sway me.

It's so funny, I just carried my mother to Ferreira optical, we took some back roads to get there but on the way back we took O'Meara because it's more direct, but that road went down hill faaasstttt, especially when it rains can't see any pothole, thing with that road is that there's so much development going on there now that they will pave the road one day and then wasa or whoever will dig it up again the week after to run lines to another new mall or store etc that popping up and it will stay that way until it's ' patched ' which goes bad faster than a one day old doubles, so you end up with little potholes all over the place, this had me thinking just now everyone will need a pickup or some sort of AWD vehicle.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 11th, 2022, 5:08 pm

zando wrote:
agent007 wrote:In theory, pickups with the traditional leaf spring suspension to the back is better for load and bad roads. The Frontier LE (D23) comes with a 5 link setup with coil springs which improves ride quality but lessens the load capacity imo.

Cars and bad roads are unavoidable so the traditional Mc Pherson strut for the front and a rear torsion beam is better. It's a much simpler setup and shouldn't hurt the pocket when time to change suspension parts.

Cars with double wishbones and rear independent multi link is nice for sporty handling but has more parts to go bad in rough roads and therefore can escalate repair/replacement costs.

So examples of cars with simple Mc Pherson struts up front and torsion beams to the back are:

Most Corollas for the past 2 decades, B14, B15, B17, Y10, Y11, Y12, P10, P11, P12, A33, City, Ciaz, Swift, Accent, Rio, Cerato, Elantra, Cruze, 4th gen Mazda 3 etc.

The majority of Mazda 3's (2003 to 2019) as well as Lancers and Civics have an IRS design. Then we have the B12, B13, AE101, AE111 etc which had IRS back then. I would imagine these cars would be more costly to maintain suspension wise.

We haven't started to talk about rack ends which is affected regardless of design. Basically the government wants us to buy trucks and vans. I don't care if you have a new RAV4 or some garbage Sportage, all can't take the kind of licks I seeing with these bad roads especially passing there repeatedly.

In Couva, there's a stretch of road by the helipad known as Camden Rd. My good Lord it bad! I saw a Tiida dropped down its entire front subframe into a hole and dragged everything under it until the driver articulated back onto a better section. His front bumper got damaged and he cracked some clips not to mention the front shields got loose and started to drag onto the front wheels.

The more we subject our cars to this treachery, the car parts owners will win big time. Fortunately for Tiida man, Double R was a mere 3-4 minute drive away.
The new Corolla is IRS from what I know, the new Sentra will also change from beam to IRS also, the Mazda 3 changed from IRS to beam like you said, not sure about the civic the Elantra is beam also unless you get an ' n line ' or ' N ' version which we don't get unfortunately Al though I don't think those N versions would sway me.

It's so funny, I just carried my mother to Ferreira optical, we took some back roads to get there but on the way back we took O'Meara because it's more direct, but that road went down hill faaasstttt, especially when it rains can't see any pothole, thing with that road is that there's so much development going on there now that they will pave the road one day and then wasa or whoever will dig it up again the week after to run lines to another new mall or store etc that popping up and it will stay that way until it's ' patched ' which goes bad faster than a one day old doubles, so you end up with little potholes all over the place, this had me thinking just now everyone will need a pickup or some sort of AWD vehicle.

Well I learn something today and you all surprised me. After 4 generations the Sentra going back to a true IRS :turn-l:

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » January 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm

agent007 wrote:2022 Honda Civic now with standard turbo. It got a slight power upgrade too from 170 to 176hp and 220Nm to 240Nm peak torque.

Those numbers are almost equivalent to a Toyota 2.5 inline 4 NA engine.

Jetta TSI, Cruze turbo and to some extent Lancer GT owners, your upgrade has finally arrived (if you sticking to a car of course).20220105_074504.jpgFB_IMG_1641353089325.jpgFB_IMG_1641353091553.jpg

I bought this one and this is the first time I'm seeing the last pic lol.

Loving the car so far. Thought I would have been turning off the safety features but they've been performing incredibly well.

At release, I hated that Honda moved away from the unapologetic Japanese design of the 10th gen but this 11th gen really grew on me, now I find myself marveling at the car before I hop in.

I commute an hour to work so I wanted something reliable, easy on gas, comfortable and fun to drive with good performance. There are not many offerings in sedan form considering the castrated models we get in the region.
I don't agree with the price of 329k, that's 40k more than the outgoing model, the upgrades and Honda sensing are not worth that.
If you're interested I'd probably wait for the semi conductor shortages and shipping prices to experience a market correction, that is, if they're still importing the civic by then.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 12th, 2022, 8:58 am

agent007 wrote:These are the most fully loaded versions available locally:

Corolla 1.8 Hybrid at $368k
Civic 1.5T at $329k
Impreza 1.6 at $270k
Elantra 1.6 at $265k
Mazda 3 1.5 at $241k
Cerato 1.6 at $218k
Sentra 1.6 at $210k

See why the Sentra and Cerato sells?

A Massy sales rep who uses social media a lot has posted the top end Elantra as being $275k this week (entry level at $205k). All those prices may not

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 12th, 2022, 5:16 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
agent007 wrote:These are the most fully loaded versions available locally:

Corolla 1.8 Hybrid at $368k
Civic 1.5T at $329k
Impreza 1.6 at $270k
Elantra 1.6 at $265k
Mazda 3 1.5 at $241k
Cerato 1.6 at $218k
Sentra 1.6 at $210k

See why the Sentra and Cerato sells?

A Massy sales rep who uses social media a lot has posted the top end Elantra as being $275k this week (entry level at $205k). All those prices may not
That is madnessss, for a 1.6 na Elantra? This world going madddd

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 12th, 2022, 5:31 pm

Kona EV incoming all, price hott too imagine how much this would have been with tax I do however, think this could and should be cheaper as that price in u.s. dollars is close to 60k and I'm very sure a Kona in the u.s isn't anywhere close to 60k.
Screenshot_20220112-172817.jpg

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 12th, 2022, 5:38 pm

Nice. Looking out for the electric offerings

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 12th, 2022, 6:01 pm

zando wrote:Kona EV incoming all, price hott too imagine how much this would have been with tax I do however, think this could and should be cheaper as that price in u.s. dollars is close to 60k and I'm very sure a Kona in the u.s isn't anywhere close to 60k.
Screenshot_20220112-172817.jpg
Woah close to $400k! and more than likely that's the *introductory* starting price. Wonder what the price can be when it's optioned out.
Last edited by david12 on January 12th, 2022, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 12th, 2022, 6:43 pm

Many countries around the world are pushing the EV and HV now. UK for example has a mandate to stop all sales of petrol and diesel engines by 2030 with a push for full EV by 2035.

How do you think that will line up in T&T?

Maybe 2040.

Point is, aside from being environmentally conscious, at that price of 395k, what's the impetus for a local buyer making the switch to HV?

For 395k, you are better off with a diesel van that will handle our roads, which has been tried and tested and which has good after purchase support. And still, that vehicle will serve the buyer for many years well before any HV or EV thrust locally.

Again, new vehicles have no price formula locally. Basically it's put out at an exorbitant price and as long as persons buy at the inflated price, a demand is created which further justifies the price and future increases. As I have said repeatedly, prospective buyers need to hold their hand and their cash and not part so willingly... That way prices could be adjusted down.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 12th, 2022, 6:59 pm

carluva wrote:Many countries around the world are pushing the EV and HV now. UK for example has a mandate to stop all sales of petrol and diesel engines by 2030 with a push for full EV by 2035.

Maybe 2040.

Point is, aside from being environmentally conscious, at that price of 395k, what's the impetus for a local buyer making the switch to HV?

For 395k, you are better off with a diesel van that will handle our roads, which has been tried and tested and which has good after purchase support. And still, that vehicle will serve the buyer for many years well before any HV or EV thrust locally.

Again, new vehicles have no price formula locally. Basically it's put out at an exorbitant price and as long as persons buy at the inflated price, a demand is created which further justifies the price and future increases. As I have said repeatedly, prospective buyers need to hold their hand and their cash and not part so willingly... That way prices could be adjusted down.
Well I know imbert and them want to switch Trinidad's auto market to ev also, or hybrid? Anyway, I don't think this is the way to do it as the price of entry has to be low for people to adopt it.

We also need to required infrastructure, fast chargers etc, we need private companies, like malls, cinemas, work places, anywhere that is popular and people go for extended periods to invest in those chargers, if they charge to use it that's fine also, we also need proper home chargers which I hope they're selling with this ev, at least a level 2 charger and thry can recommend an electrician to do the work and have that included in the price, but I doubt they're thinking about all that, they just wanna buss price and go their way.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » January 12th, 2022, 7:48 pm

carluva wrote:Many countries around the world are pushing the EV and HV now. UK for example has a mandate to stop all sales of petrol and diesel engines by 2030 with a push for full EV by 2035.

Maybe 2040.

Well said bro, even though you gotta be careful with that last line...people might brand you a sufferer. There's some new money on these kinds of forums that believe in spend yuh money (no matter how ridiculous the price) 'if yuh ain't buying, yuh crying..'.

Then again (and I think it was mentioned higher up in the thread), most of our major dealers' have the State as a customer. Judging by the amount of branded Trailblazers, Rav-4s, Tucsons, D-Maxes, etc. that we see in parking lots of (insert whatever government agency here), I wonder how much of an effect us withholding our dineros would have on bottom line.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 12th, 2022, 8:20 pm

In a small country like ours once you can charge at home ni need for chargers if you range over 250 miles .

A pal has a leaf and he only ever needs to charge at home

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 12th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Exactly. This further justifies the point that the EV market locally makes no sense when compared to the existing gas and diesel markets. Pricing an EV at that point is not justified if there's a push towards that technology.
zando wrote:

Maybe 2040.

Well I know imbert and them want to switch Trinidad's auto market to ev also, or hybrid? Anyway, I don't think this is the way to do it as the price of entry has to be low for people to adopt it.

We also need to required infrastructure, fast chargers etc, we need private companies, like malls, cinemas, work places, anywhere that is popular and people go for extended periods to invest in those chargers, if they charge to use it that's fine also, we also need proper home chargers which I hope they're selling with this ev, at least a level 2 charger and thry can recommend an electrician to do the work and have that included in the price, but I doubt they're thinking about all that, they just wanna buss price and go their way.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 12th, 2022, 9:06 pm

Government agencies will benefit from tax exemption.

So they can buy the vehicle sans VAT and Duties. Basically "cost price" plus markup.

John Public however foots the high bill. A markup on a cost price which is then compounded by Duties and then further compounded by VAT.

And let's not forget the convenient reasons for the high price. Years ago, it was "new model" (despite the model being the same engine, chassis and body shape with a different headlight or grill, a facelift in actuality). Then came the "foreign exchange shortage". Now, it's "chip shortage". The real reason is greed by both sellers and selfish consumerism.

Re: sufferers. Meh. Makes no difference what people think. Meen here to impress any posers.
Joshie23 wrote:

Maybe 2040.

Well said bro, even though you gotta be careful with that last line...people might brand you a sufferer. There's some new money on these kinds of forums that believe in spend yuh money (no matter how ridiculous the price) 'if yuh ain't buying, yuh crying..'.

Then again (and I think it was mentioned higher up in the thread), most of our major dealers' have the State as a customer. Judging by the amount of branded Trailblazers, Rav-4s, Tucsons, D-Maxes, etc. that we see in parking lots of (insert whatever government agency here), I wonder how much of an effect us withholding our dineros would have on bottom line.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 13th, 2022, 2:04 am

16cycles, for a single person who loves the outdoor lifestyle, I see the Jimny as a good fit. Problem is the price has gone up way too much. Despite not being in the same class, I see the Ignis and Baleno as better buys for the money if 4wd is something you can live without.

Cloudboi, congrats on the new car bro. Let me know if you’re up for a test.

Dizzy, thanks for the prices, I’ll update pg1 in a bit.

Zando, $395k for a Kona EV? Where is the value proposition in that? You can save $142k and purchase a Vitara GLX AllGrip. The spare change you can place in a fixed deposit at 2.25% per annum and walk away with an additional $24k in interest after 7 years.

Can you save $166k in fuel after owning a Kona for 7 years?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 9:46 am

What about other maintenance items?

And cost of labor to do such?

All so should we be comparing it to the rav 4 and the crv

agent007
punchin NOS

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » January 13th, 2022, 12:49 pm

Maybe price wise it can be compared with the Rav and the crv but size wise it competes directly with a Vitara. In fact, a Toyota Raize for $200k is better value. Can someone save $195k in fuel over the typical loan period of 7 years by buying a Kona over a Raize?

As long as we have ICE options, I fail to see the value of an EV locally especially at those tax exempted prices. Maybe those owners don’t mind paying a premium to supposedly save the environment cause it cannot be that you want to save money by purchasing less fuel. You can save money by shopping for cheaper alternatives that gives the same if not better amenities and interior space as a Kona.

Edit:
The Kona will obviously be cheaper to maintain but what if you buy a $316k Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross which under the InOne package gives you either 2 - 3 years / 40 - 60k kms free service (depending on what is being marketed atm since I’ve seen both). The EC is cheaper by $79k and a portion of the loan period has free service.

See why I want a 2019 Leaf? I want to try this EV thing so I can test the waters at a $200k budget cause I tried 2 hybrids and both were disappointing and thus I sold them.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 13th, 2022, 1:08 pm

agent007 wrote:Maybe price wise it can be compared with the Rav and the crv but size wise it competes directly with a Vitara. In fact, a Toyota Raize for $200k is better value. Can someone save $195k in fuel over the typical loan period of 7 years by buying a Kona over a Raize?

As long as we have ICE options, I fail to see the value of an EV locally especially at those tax exempted prices. Maybe those owners don’t mind paying a premium to supposedly save the environment cause it cannot be that you want to save money by purchasing less fuel. You can save money by shopping for cheaper alternatives that gives the same if not better amenities and interior space as a Kona.

Edit:
The Kona will obviously be cheaper to maintain but what if you buy a $316k Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross which under the InOne package gives you either 2 - 3 years / 40 - 60k kms free service (depending on what is being marketed atm since I’ve seen both). The EC is cheaper by $79k and a portion of the loan period has free service.

See why I want a 2019 Leaf? I want to try this EV thing so I can test the waters at a $200k budget cause I tried 2 hybrids and both were disappointing and thus I sold them.

Electricity in this country is generated solely through Natural Gas, less carbon emitting but still a fossil fuel.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 13th, 2022, 2:07 pm

Bingo! In the context of T&T, even the argument can’t be that you trying to avoid fossil based fuel since our electricity requires natural gas. So fuel avoided on one hand but used on the other.

Thus far it looks like this does nothing for me except keep my fossil fuel consuming cars until we simply don’t have a choice come 2030.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 3:02 pm

A pal of mine who is a dealer bringing in used Tesla model 3 for 250000

How does that sound?

I personally would love to experience in my lifetime an electric vehicle. It's like living in the future

Once the price not to high and I can get it maintained locally . I will go for it

In the states used teslas real expensive and holding up very well

The model s there for 10 years and those sell for 30000 us

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 3:07 pm

Right now I spend 1200 a month in diesel

I can keep my van use it for country

If I can save about 1000 a month in gasoline costs and 300 a month in lubrication cost. That will cut my monthly installment in about half

My only fear is maintenance of the tesla should something go wrong

I think that smart energy brings a technician from Miami but unsure if that will be good enough

So that's my consideration in terms of buying the Tesla model 3 used

Garth
Riding on 13's

Postby Garth » January 13th, 2022, 4:04 pm

@Pariaman...what is name of your friend's dealership with the Tesla?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Ric Roc motors he on facebook
Garth wrote:@Pariaman...what is name of your friend's dealership with the Tesla?

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » January 13th, 2022, 4:17 pm

PariaMan wrote:Right now I spend 1200 a month in diesel

I can keep my van use it for country

If I can save about 1000 a month in gasoline costs and 300 a month in lubrication cost. That will cut my monthly installment in about half

My only fear is maintenance of the tesla should something go wrong

I think that smart energy brings a technician from Miami but unsure if that will be good enough

So that's my consideration in terms of buying the Tesla model 3 used

You may also want to consider future electricity prices when budgeting and comparing...there is speculation that the electricity subsidy will be reduced over the next few years. So unless you have a large enough PV set-up with storage (at the very least large enough to charge your EV), you'll have to get your electricity from the grid. Will it raise significantly? Who knows.

Of course, with little to no maintenance on the EV, your monthly running cost may still be lower than an ICE vehicle, equivalent or otherwise, and the overall emissions from an LCA POV are lower than it's ICE counterparts, so it's a win for the environment (if you're charging with clean energy).

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Right now to charge at home will cost 12 tt. Even if rates double 24 tt is 2 beers . Not something that will concern me really

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » January 13th, 2022, 4:51 pm

carluva wrote:Government agencies will benefit from tax exemption.

So they can buy the vehicle sans VAT and Duties. Basically "cost price" plus markup.

John Public however foots the high bill. A markup on a cost price which is then compounded by Duties and then further compounded by VAT.

Both fair points. I was more pointing to the fact that regardless of the average consumer holding out, the dealers will still make their targets if not in terms of volume, at least in terms of revenue because the Gov't is always buying vehicles. But, evil prevails when good men do nothing, so..it is a start.

carluva wrote: And let's not forget the convenient reasons for the high price. Years ago, it was "new model" (despite the model being the same engine, chassis and body shape with a different headlight or grill, a facelift in actuality). Then came the "foreign exchange shortage". Now, it's "chip shortage". The real reason is greed by both sellers and selfish consumerism.

A few days ago, I saw an ad from Audi or SSSL, can't recall. They were having a sale on the A4, to the tune of >$40,000 or ~10% off. I don't have a degree in Finance or Marketing yet, but if a dealer can have a sale and drop $40,000 off a vehicle that is still a very current model (so not like they were clearing out old stock to make way for new) and still clear a profit margin, then what does that say? Are any of these dealers listed on the TTSE? :lol: if they were, you could never go wrong investing there.. dividends sure. 8-)

Re: sufferers. Meh. Makes no difference what people think. Meen here to impress any posers.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 13th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Seems the dealers playing smart and sweeping tax break into profit. Hopefully the grey market will sort that out. Kona price not adding up. It’s the same price as the old time Ioniq in the UK. Even with taxes our EV Ioniqs weren’t so expensive.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 13th, 2022, 5:42 pm

They should have done it using a rebate system or a tax credit system which would have reduced advantage from the dealers

But everyone knows this government is strictly pro big businesses

PNM in power always means a squeeze on Grey Market dealers.

Sometimes it sounds like Agent singing from the same playbook

I strongly believe that if it was only up to PNM Rollon Rolloff would have never been introduced

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 13th, 2022, 7:15 pm

Is there any difference in terms of drivetrain or battery storage (power, range or kit) between an Ioniq and the Kona.

142k covers a decent amount of fuel and service items.

You don't save the environment by buying more stuff.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”