TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby nick639v2 » December 29th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Yup. My black np from Massy was THE worst new vehicle paint I got. Swirled to sheit

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 29th, 2021, 2:31 pm

When the vehicle is driven off the port on its way to the dealership, those drivers perform stage 2 of the quality testing process. Wide open throttle from 1 traffic light to the next on Wrightson Rd. Transmission temps get extremely hot from all that mashing down to the aggressive stopping.

They don’t care for those potholes and puddles of dirty water that our roads are riddled with, so they fly through all of that. What is supposed to be a black and shiny undercarriage, the vehicle sometimes look like it’s been in a sand pit or a quarry.

Then there’s the wash bay guys. Using the same sponge or cloth for the wheels and under the fenders onto the body of the car.

After which, they may spray some lubricant like wd40 or zlube to return some level of shine under the fenders and there you go. Your new vehicle, supposedly virgin.

Not to forget that some sales reps only put the floor mats on the day of delivery. When you lift up the mats, that’s where those workers with their nasty footwear were placing their feet, on your new carpet. A quick half way vacuum (if they do it) is usually not observed caused the floor mats are covering the dirt.

It’s sad now that after spending all that money on a new vehicle, we now have to spend another $5k - 7k at the very minimum if we want the vehicle to be comprehensively detailed.

BUG
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BUG » December 29th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Looking to buy a local used 2019 Toyota Rav 4 non hybrid (latest model). Any suggestions on what they're worth on the second hand market?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 29th, 2021, 10:29 pm

HSM post up videos on Facebook say they bringing New Hilux soon

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 30th, 2021, 7:55 am

They are also bringing the Kia Seltos. Is this model brought in by the firm already?

Also, do any of the other foreign used people sell Korean vehicles?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 30th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Bug, a used 2019 RAV4 will still not be cheap. Depending on the grade, the market value can start in the high 2’s and make its way into the 300k+ category. With roughly 1 year warranty remaining, you need to consider if this represents value to you. If it is then fix up.

Pariaman, as we would have discussed at length before ITT, I think the main concern is if those engines has been specifically tuned/mapped for our grade of diesel as per TTTL logic, hence we get the lower output version of the 2.8 from the firm.

David, Bess motors and roro importers brought in some Koreans before from Singapore.

Coming back to pickups, I really cannot close my eyes like I would have in the past and purchase a Hilux whether from TTTL or a grey market dealer when the Frontier and D-Max exists. I have my reservations on that new Mitsubishi 2.4 but I know pretty much all of us will agree that the Nissan YD25 can take licks.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 30th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Sometimes the only time you hear people is when they complaining about something. Then again how people run or service their vehicle varies.

Those yd25 engines are not reliable in my book. Might have to talk to the persons that have to service them.
I like the look of the new Isuzu over its Mazda brother. Really interested to know how that 1.9 performs and holds up to the usage locally.

agent007 wrote:Bug, a used 2019 RAV4 will still not be cheap. Depending on the grade, the market value can start in the high 2’s and make its way into the 300k+ category. With roughly 1 year warranty remaining, you need to consider if this represents value to you. If it is then fix up.

Pariaman, as we would have discussed at length before ITT, I think the main concern is if those engines has been specifically tuned/mapped for our grade of diesel as per TTTL logic, hence we get the lower output version of the 2.8 from the firm.

David, Bess motors and roro importers brought in some Koreans before from Singapore.

Coming back to pickups, I really cannot close my eyes like I would have in the past and purchase a Hilux whether from TTTL or a grey market dealer when the Frontier and D-Max exists. I have my reservations on that new Mitsubishi 2.4 but I know pretty much all of us will agree that the Nissan YD25 can take licks.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » December 30th, 2021, 8:24 pm

kamakazi wrote:Sometimes the only time you hear people is when they complaining about something. Then again how people run or service their vehicle varies.

Those yd25 engines are not reliable in my book. Might have to talk to the persons that have to service them.
I like the look of the new Isuzu over its Mazda brother. Really interested to know how that 1.9 performs and holds up to the usage locally.

agent007 wrote:Bug, a used 2019 RAV4 will still not be cheap. Depending on the grade, the market value can start in the high 2’s and make its way into the 300k+ category. With roughly 1 year warranty remaining, you need to consider if this represents value to you. If it is then fix up.

I also am curious about that 1.9.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 31st, 2021, 8:08 am

Will never forget Toyota Trinidad saying the 2.8 not good when they only had the old 3.0

Bring on the competition there exist to much monopoly in new car sales

I remember in the old days before FU how difficult it was to to get a new car

Special thanks to the UNC for allowing the start of the importation of Roll on Roll of used vehicles

It is great news for the customer that some of these dealers are branching out into new cars.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 31st, 2021, 10:51 am

When one purchases a brand new vehicle, the owner has a legitimate expectation of a limited new vehicle warranty based on terms and conditions such as following the service schedule at the authorized dealer.

When one purchases a new vehicle from a grey market aka non authorized dealer, how does the legitimate warranty expectation fall into place here? If the manufacturer has recalls, software updates or TSB's etc..how can the grey dealers pass these after sale services back onto the customer?

Some new vehicles do come with defects that require intervention. Let's just say a $400k fully accessorized Hilux from a grey dealer requires a transmission replacement or an engine head replacement, who would be dealing with that?

Foreign used / rollon rolloff should stick to used vehicles and not new. Frankly, we in T&T deserve more than just used vehicles with rolled back odometers (on most of them) just to say we can afford a vehicle sporting a new plate series.

I know the authorized dealership cartel does not make it easy for citizens to own vehicles but my heart goes out to the "poor" people who took loans to buy foreign used vehicles with 15,000kms on the odometer but in truth and in fact, they just took out a 5 year used car loan on a vehicle actually doing more than 200,000kms and sooner or later, these people will have to spend plenty paper on an engine/transmission job whilst their loans remain in effect.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 31st, 2021, 1:23 pm

Great points. Let me put forward some opposing views.

Some authorised dealerships will void the said warranty as soon as any modification is done to the vehicle...Even if said modification came from the same brand. Going from 15" inch to 16,17 or 18 from another Hilux, Drivetrain Warranty is voided.
Essentially any technicality they can find to not have to replace said part at their expense they will use. So you didn't service the vehicle by us, so we can't replace the failed stereo under warranty; cause everyone knows oil and filter changes affect the functioning of the stereo. (Some auth. dealerships)

Wear items aren't covered either, according to the printed warranty, so anyone who got hilux rotors replaced because it was pulsing under braking, are lucky in my book.

Another point to think about is some vehicles have built-in failure set to go off just after the warranty period. It is your choice whether to save the money upfront and deal with it when it arises or hope that the failure occurs within the warranty period; Looking at you Hyundai, Kia and any European Vehicle.

The way I see it, any money saved from buying a grey import should be thought of as the warranty; use it to repair or replace what might go wrong. This is the gamble to get the vehicle with the features you want at a better price.

It is widely known by now that a majority of used vehicles are sold with tampered mileage. If you know this is the case, deal with the situation appropriately. Negotiate a better price cause you know that additional money will have to spend to get it sorted. Look for your telltale signs of excessive wear and tear etc. Test drive it if they still doing that.

On the odd occasion, it is better if the vehicle is used as you can search for the problems other people have encountered. Then you can avoid those money pits. Observe what the police are still driving...if it can survive them it can survive anything; or they might have a large inventory of used parts parked up. :)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 31st, 2021, 4:01 pm

Agreed but one thing though, money saved from going grey market/roro is a slowly dying phrase.

There is a big grey market dealer in Central selling a 2019 Toyota Corolla Fielder WXB non hybrid for $170k. Mileage is pretty low as expected.

LSM on the other hand had a special mere days ago where you can purchase a 2021 Suzuki Baleno GLX for $160k and you get a 5 year, 100,000km warranty vs what 3 months for the Fielder?

Now I’m no huge fan of Suzuki but considering what you get for $160k? That’s not a bad package at all!

From a loan perspective, someone can easier walk away with the Zuki and have a longer period to pay back the loan coupled with a lower interest rate and in many occasions up to 0% down.

The Fielder however, you have a shorter payback period with a higher interest rate with very little support thereafter. I understand these Fielders could be a pain for sourcing of parts and it no longer uses the tried and tested 1NZ-FE engine whereas the Baleno has support from the dealer and little on the aftermarket. Lastly, I expect the resale value of the Fielder to be higher even though it’s not a genuine Corolla imo. It’s basically a Yaris or Aqua wagon.

Anyhow, food for thought.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » December 31st, 2021, 5:05 pm

agent007 wrote:Agreed but one thing though, money saved from going grey market/roro is a slowly dying phrase.

There is a big grey market dealer in Central selling a 2019 Toyota Corolla Fielder WXB non hybrid for $170k. Mileage is pretty low as expected.

LSM on the other hand had a special mere days ago where you can purchase a 2021 Suzuki Baleno GLX for $160k and you get a 5 year, 100,000km warranty vs what 3 months for the Fielder?

Now I’m no huge fan of Suzuki but considering what you get for $160k? That’s not a bad package at all!

From a loan perspective, someone can easier walk away with the Zuki and have a longer period to pay back the loan coupled with a lower interest rate and in many occasions up to 0% down.

The Fielder however, you have a shorter payback period with a higher interest rate with very little support thereafter. I understand these Fielders could be a pain for sourcing of parts and it no longer uses the tried and tested 1NZ-FE engine whereas the Baleno has support from the dealer and little on the aftermarket. Lastly, I expect the resale value of the Fielder to be higher even though it’s not a genuine Corolla imo. It’s basically a Yaris or Aqua wagon.

I have owned five vehicles thus far, all foreign used, including a hybrid and a limited edition sport model. Maybe I have been lucky, but with proper maintenance, I have never had any serious defects or issues. Personally I think the warranty that the dealers offer are basically a red herring to entice you since you are limited in your use of your vehicle. Even if I had the means, I will prefer the foreign vehicle for the features and safety.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 31st, 2021, 8:57 pm

agent007 wrote:Agreed but one thing though, money saved from going grey market/roro is a slowly dying phrase.

So at the same price point you are right and there isn't much to argue.

Your aqua observation could potentially be spot on and if that is the case parts would no longer be a problem as they could potentially share drivetrain components (the usual wear items that need replacing). The only challenge is if Toyota will sell you the parts. Suzuki on the other hand having pulled out of the US market could make sourcing parts more difficult as it gets up in age.

On that point, I did see a fielder wagon in the South showroom of Toyota... Could have been a one off. I also saw a Kona "Ironman" in Massy morvant but in the parking lot next to the showroom

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » December 31st, 2021, 10:33 pm

Good day folks.

What do you all think of personal imports as opposed to grey market dealers.

I bought an Axela hatchback from a friend that was his personal import.

He put 50k km.
I put 100k km.
Sold it to a friend that put another 100k km.

Vehicle is still on the road with my friends son driving.

Literally one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned.

If that was my only experience with grey market I would say hell yes.

I previously bought a vehicle from a dealer. Was not nice.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 31st, 2021, 11:05 pm

Wing, understood but they don't make em' like they used to. Vehicles today have gotten so sophisticated, it almost becomes disposable or obsolete in short time.

As the age for the importation of roro vehicles have reduced, the price gap between roro and new is no longer sizeable as in the days of the B12 Sunny for $55k vs a new Sentra B14 Super Saloon in Massy for $128k back in 1995 or PBA days.

Kamakazi, I do recall a time I also saw a black fielder at TTTL south back in 2013/4. They did not sell many of those.

I also saw a couple of Kona's in Massy Morvant but those are probably testers. On Dock Rd back in February of this year (2021), I observed the parking lot by CSC filled with Kona's too but someone told me right here that those were bound for another country?

Animal pak, Mazda really came a long way. The change started with the Mazda6 and Mazda3 back in 2002 and 2003 respectively.

Mazda still wasn't perfect but they changed things around again somewhere around 2012/3 and from that point on, we know now which engineers are the true descendants of the Samurais.

We have a 16 year old Mazda3 in our family doing more than a quarter of a million kms and apart from a transmission rebuild back in 2017, it has been typical routine maintenance. Mazda is on a high right now and their close relationship with Toyota only further accelerates their growth as a company that makes quality products that are fun to drive. The Mitsubishi Lancer CY is also a well put together car as well as a Toyota Corolla NZE121. Surprisingly, the Sentra B17 appears to be quite good in reliability as well.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » December 31st, 2021, 11:57 pm

Animal Pak wrote:Good day folks.

What do you all think of personal imports as opposed to grey market dealers.

I bought an Axela hatchback from a friend that was his personal import.

He put 50k km.
I put 100k km.
Sold it to a friend that put another 100k km.

Vehicle is still on the road with my friends son driving.

Literally one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned.

If that was my only experience with grey market I would say hell yes.

I previously bought a vehicle from a dealer. Was not nice.
once u have your usd & cash do it

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 5th, 2022, 7:56 am

2022 Honda Civic now with standard turbo. It got a slight power upgrade too from 170 to 176hp and 220Nm to 240Nm peak torque.

Those numbers are almost equivalent to a Toyota 2.5 inline 4 NA engine.

Jetta TSI, Cruze turbo and to some extent Lancer GT owners, your upgrade has finally arrived (if you sticking to a car of course).
FB_IMG_1641353091553.jpg
FB_IMG_1641353089325.jpg
20220105_074504.jpg
20220105_074504.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 5th, 2022, 9:46 am

Really digged the design of the new Civic. Would love to put one to the test!

A172

Postby A172 » January 5th, 2022, 12:38 pm

agent007 wrote:2022 Honda Civic now with standard turbo. It got a slight power upgrade too from 170 to 176hp and 220Nm to 240Nm peak torque.

Those numbers are almost equivalent to a Toyota 2.5 inline 4 NA engine.

Jetta TSI, Cruze turbo and to some extent Lancer GT owners, your upgrade has finally arrived (if you sticking to a car of course).
20220105_074504.jpg
FB_IMG_1641353089325.jpg
FB_IMG_1641353091553.jpg
I would admit the new CTR is growing on me

looking forward to the final production reveal

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 5th, 2022, 1:19 pm

^^I like the rake angle of your windshield more. That 22' model seems too abrupt and steep from the bonnet going upwards.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 5th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Will never buy Accord or Civic from McEnearney

They rape the people of Trinidad

In the US the Mazda 3 sell for around the same price as the Civic yet the price difference here could be as high as 50000tt

The accord is a few thousand more than the the Civic yet the difference here is almost double the price

All because they want to price position their cars as luxury.

Trinidadians need to wake up and smell the coffee and not behave like abuse victims

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 5th, 2022, 3:24 pm

What would you say about TTTL? The hybrid Corolla is $368k. The Camry 2.5 is between 650 and 750k whereas the Accord 1.5T is $430k. The 2wd fully loaded 2.0 RAV4 with manual folding wing mirrors is more expensive than a fully loaded CRV awd. If you want to special order the 2.5 awd Rav4, prepare to part ways with 750k.

Right now you can get a GLC300 4MATIC, Q5 S-Line or X3 xDrive 20i with M Sport kit for less money than a 2.5 rav4 whether hybrid or not lol.

If you don't mind 2wd then the CRV fully loaded will set you back just $415k.

I don't blame anyone focusing on land right now as opposed to vehicles nah. The prices generally aren't encouraging.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 5th, 2022, 3:49 pm

Nissan, Toyota and Honda are generally overpriced because of the name. Honda is more aimed to the luxury side of the market but isn't necessarily a luxury brand.

I recently had to help a family member decide on a new vehicle and we had to go to a brand that we never had in the family before, Subaru. It was either that or a Chevy. In a few years there will be a gradual increase in Korean cars or the not so popular brands on the road. It's already happening.

A Tucson (don't know if butchered that but idc) starts at 250k I think, and it's a pretty safe choice to the average don't know don't care person.

A172

Postby A172 » January 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm

agent007 wrote:^^I like the rake angle of your windshield more. That 22' model seems too abrupt and steep from the bonnet going upwards.
i starting to like the euro look and bigger dimesions

after the FK8 i'll def be buying the new one once the performance specs remain similar

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 6th, 2022, 1:07 am

david12 wrote:Nissan, Toyota and Honda are generally overpriced because of the name. Honda is more aimed to the luxury side of the market but isn't necessarily a luxury brand.

I recently had to help a family member decide on a new vehicle and we had to go to a brand that we never had in the family before, Subaru. It was either that or a Chevy. In a few years there will be a gradual increase in Korean cars or the not so popular brands on the road. It's already happening.

A Tucson (don't know if butchered that but idc) starts at 250k I think, and it's a pretty safe choice to the average don't know don't care person.
329k for that new civic and that's ' introductory, for that money I'd buy a van or a cx-5. That's crazinesssssss
Screenshot_20220106-010320__01.jpg

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » January 6th, 2022, 8:26 am

^^ :lol: They could keep that. I agree with you. Their pricing has gone crazy.

On another note, my sales rep. called since my vehicle now turned 3 yrs. to ask if I want to trade in with Carmax and purchase a new one....I said no, it's not worth it. I told him that based on how their prices are going, I do not think I will be looking at another Honda again since the CRV climbed by an additional $36,000. $12,000 appreciation in price per annum? Competition in the new car arena is really needed.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 6th, 2022, 9:31 am

These are the most fully loaded versions available locally:

Corolla 1.8 Hybrid at $368k
Civic 1.5T at $329k
Impreza 1.6 at $270k
Elantra 1.6 at $265k
Mazda 3 1.5 at $241k
Cerato 1.6 at $218k
Sentra 1.6 at $210k

See why the Sentra and Cerato sells?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 6th, 2022, 10:22 am

What's the difference between the fully loaded civic and mazda in the states . I am pretty certain they are very similar since they are competitors there
agent007 wrote:These are the most fully loaded versions available locally:

Civic 1.5T at $329k
Impreza 1.6 at $270k
Elantra 1.6 at $265k
Mazda 3 1.5 at $241k
Cerato 1.6 at $218k
Sentra 1.6 at $210k

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » January 6th, 2022, 11:10 am

agent007 wrote:These are the most fully loaded versions available locally:

Civic 1.5T at $329k
Impreza 1.6 at $270k
Elantra 1.6 at $265k
Mazda 3 1.5 at $241k
Cerato 1.6 at $218k
Sentra 1.6 at $210k

The Cerato is very nice in terms of features.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”