TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby hover11 » July 25th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
zando wrote:Used car market, here I come!

I been looking at Trini Cars For Sale and PinTT for a few months now.
It's almost as if depreciation doesn't exist. Men selling 3 year old cars for 88% the showroom price.

OFC they are deals to be had brand dependent.
Wait until you see the men who selling 15 year old almeras for 50k

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » July 26th, 2022, 8:23 am

50K may sound like a lot for a 15 year old Almera or something similar but there are factors to consider. What if the vehicle was meticulously maintained and treated. Also if the trend is upward market, is the seller wrong for riding that wave and starting high? Unless a man's pocket is limitless I think he'd try to get as much as possible for his car and not call his base price at first. It's easy to see an advert for something old, at a high price and misjudge by face value. Then there are guys selling real sheit boxes, driven to the ground cars, flash over and calling market prices. Those are the real bandits, people get stuck spending thousands after in fixing issues. On another note. How are people getting inspections passed ($$$) with cars that don't even have front indicators, I mean physically missing. And some with blown brake lights and running slicks in the wet. I think the shops doing inspections should get fined or blacklisted if they're passing those failed vehicles.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 26th, 2022, 8:45 am

mtec wrote:50K may sound like a lot for a 15 year old Almera or something similar but there are factors to consider. What if the vehicle was meticulously maintained and treated. Also if the trend is upward market, is the seller wrong for riding that wave and starting high? Unless a man's pocket is limitless I think he'd try to get as much as possible for his car and not call his base price at first. It's easy to see an advert for something old, at a high price and misjudge by face value. Then there are guys selling real sheit boxes, driven to the ground cars, flash over and calling market prices. Those are the real bandits, people get stuck spending thousands after in fixing issues. On another note. How are people getting inspections passed ($$$) with cars that don't even have front indicators, I mean physically missing. And some with blown brake lights and running slicks in the wet. I think the shops doing inspections should get fined or blacklisted if they're passing those failed vehicles.
You have to remember something no matter how good you take care of a vehicle, there is something called depreciation, this same depreciation happens when you put a license plate on a brand new or showroom vehicle. A vehicle does not stop depreciating no matter how good you take care of it, nor does it appreciate

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 26th, 2022, 8:54 am

Not all vehicles are chattels.
There are many meticulously maintained vehicles fetching quite a high price in the used market.
Depreciation is real but the few extra thousand being called for some over others will justify the price.
hover11 wrote:
mtec wrote:50K may sound like a lot for a 15 year old Almera or something similar but there are factors to consider. What if the vehicle was meticulously maintained and treated. Also if the trend is upward market, is the seller wrong for riding that wave and starting high? Unless a man's pocket is limitless I think he'd try to get as much as possible for his car and not call his base price at first. It's easy to see an advert for something old, at a high price and misjudge by face value. Then there are guys selling real sheit boxes, driven to the ground cars, flash over and calling market prices. Those are the real bandits, people get stuck spending thousands after in fixing issues. On another note. How are people getting inspections passed ($$$) with cars that don't even have front indicators, I mean physically missing. And some with blown brake lights and running slicks in the wet. I think the shops doing inspections should get fined or blacklisted if they're passing those failed vehicles.
You have to remember something no matter how good you take care of a vehicle, there is something called depreciation, this same depreciation happens when you put a license plate on a brand new or showroom vehicle. A vehicle does not stop depreciating no matter how good you take care of it, nor does it appreciate

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 26th, 2022, 9:21 am

Dave wrote:Not all vehicles are chattels.
There are many meticulously maintained vehicles fetching quite a high price in the used market.
Depreciation is real but the few extra thousand being called for some over others will justify the price.
hover11 wrote:
Dave,

Question how many kias and elantras you see trinis rushing for? Looking at the selling price ppl calling for those kinda cars in my opinion those cars hold zero resale value, they look nice However that's where it stops. I'm not saying cars can't be meticulously maintained however like dizz said it seems depreciation is non existent in this market and most sellers are attaching sentimental cost to their price.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 26th, 2022, 9:26 am

Haha those examples are chattels.
Bad example.

The last of the Japanese made vehicles are fetching quite a high price. I came across a last facelift / gen B14 Sentra that was sold for $50k. This was last year. Less than 50k km, one owner etc etc down to the cassette player. All it had was wheel locks.
There are a few needles in the haystack but never beat a man on his price. He is entitled to ask what he wants and when the price is higher than expected there is a reason.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 26th, 2022, 9:36 am

There is the concept of guaranteed sunk cost: the minimum that a person must spend on transportation annually. Whether a bus, Tiida or Benz, you need to spend to get from A to B.

Vehicles nearly always depreciate, your task as a consumer is to look at the total cost of ownership from purchase to replacement. Some will lease, some will buy used, some will buy a new car every two years. Depending on your acceptable costs and expected benefits, you need to understand what you can afford and are willing to spend - they are not the same thing.

If you are willing to drive a car for fifteen or so years, you will find that depreciation becomes much less of an issue when compared to maintenance costs, and that is where meticulous maintenance provides the most significant payback.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » July 26th, 2022, 10:43 am

I would say mainly because of meticulous maintenance I've been able to get above market value prices for multiple vehicles. I once had someone call, give them a full history and they say yes before seeing the car. Another factor is brand and model. You can't buy known sheit boxes, maintain meticulously and expect high value or desirability when selling. Which educated car guy gonna see a mint Tucson and shell out $$$ knowing the stories of that 1.6T and transmission combo. I've purchased vehicles before, sold at the right time and got back more than I paid. The money was spent to maintain at manufacturer spec or enhance. A lot of people recognize and appreciate stuff like that.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » July 26th, 2022, 11:29 am

How much value as a percent would you guys say a new vehicle loses after the first year?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » July 26th, 2022, 11:31 am

metalgear2095 wrote:How much value as a percent would you guys say a new vehicle loses after the first year?

20%

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 26th, 2022, 11:32 am

metalgear2095 wrote:How much value as a percent would you guys say a new vehicle loses after the first year?
About 20 or 30 percent based on the make and model, it literally loses value once they drive it out the showroom and place a license plate on it

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 26th, 2022, 12:03 pm

The typical book entry for depreciation of a vehicle is 25% on a reducing balance method.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » July 26th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Does this not apply to vehicles like the Hilux? Been looking and feel the prices of these are inflated given the age of the vehicle. Men selling these 3 years and older for the price of a one year old vehicle by the 20% to 30% guide

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » July 26th, 2022, 4:54 pm

metalgear2095 wrote:Does this not apply to vehicles like the Hilux? Been looking and feel the prices of these are inflated given the age of the vehicle. Men selling these 3 years and older for the price of a one year old vehicle by the 20% to 30% guide

Market decides. As long as buyers paying, men will call big money. I also believe most prices are negotiable so maybe the final sale price ends up being lower.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 26th, 2022, 6:28 pm

How much does inflation factor into this assessment. Cause 50k today doesn't buy what it could 10 yrs ago.

Also when you look at an Evo 7 which could be had for 140k on the roll on roll off market back around 2003 - 2004(questionable acquisitions aside)... How much does that sell for now vs the depreciated value...

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 28th, 2022, 10:01 am

2023 Nissan X-Trail Revealed In Japan As Electrified Rogue

At the heart of the X-Trail is a gasoline engine with variable compression, but it doesn't actually power the wheels. Instead, it works as a generator to produce electricity. Going down this road allows Nissan to have the engine always running within its optimal range to maximize efficiency. Doing so cuts fuel consumption and emissions compared to a regular ICE-powered vehicle. The X-Trail is not the first model to get the tech as the smaller Qashqai (Rogue Sport in the US) also has e-4ORCE.

https://www.motor1.com/news/599301/2023 ... ail-reval/

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » July 28th, 2022, 10:39 am

kamakazi wrote:How much does inflation factor into this assessment. Cause 50k today doesn't buy what it could 10 yrs ago.

Also when you look at an Evo 7 which could be had for 140k on the roll on roll off market back around 2003 - 2004(questionable acquisitions aside)... How much does that sell for now vs the depreciated value...

Enthusiast cars break the depreciation model.
First because supply and demand locally means there are only a handful initially and they get even scarcer with accidents etc.
Also they have sentimental value etc.
Essentially they are for enjoyment/hobbies more than for transport from A to B

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 28th, 2022, 8:38 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:2023 Nissan X-Trail Revealed In Japan As Electrified Rogue

At the heart of the X-Trail is a gasoline engine with variable compression, but it doesn't actually power the wheels. Instead, it works as a generator to produce electricity. Going down this road allows Nissan to have the engine always running within its optimal range to maximize efficiency. Doing so cuts fuel consumption and emissions compared to a regular ICE-powered vehicle. The X-Trail is not the first model to get the tech as the smaller Qashqai (Rogue Sport in the US) also has e-4ORCE.

So basically an e-power then, I think that's how the e-power note works, can't get parts for those

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 28th, 2022, 11:01 pm

zando wrote:

So basically an e-power then, I think that's how the e-power note works, can't get parts for those

I believe this is the model Massy is bringing.
They hinted at a new kind of hybrid Xtrail coming at the launch of their San Fernando showroom
https://www.trinituner.com/v4/nissans-n ... -fernando/

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » July 29th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
zando wrote:

I believe this is the model Massy is bringing.
They hinted at a new kind of hybrid Xtrail coming at the launch of their San Fernando showroom
https://www.trinituner.com/v4/nissans-n ... -fernando/

When I was at the POS showroom this week a rep said how they may be getting it (NT33) by next year March I believe but didn’t have any details on specs. Clearly as all have said inside here most of those reps are in the dark

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 29th, 2022, 2:33 pm

This vehicle doesn't make any sense over a regular hybrid.

EV should be called RCV (Remote Combustion Vehicle) once it is powered by a powerplant using fossil fuels
Credit to John Cadogan for this one

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 29th, 2022, 3:08 pm

kamakazi wrote:This vehicle doesn't make any sense over a regular hybrid.

EV should be called RCV (Remote Combustion Vehicle) once it is powered by a powerplant using fossil fuels
It appears to be basically an electric vehicle with a range extender. The engine will only be used to charge the batteries, and not for propulsion.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 29th, 2022, 6:47 pm

That is a hybrid.

It can't be plugged in to charge the battery and REQUIRES gasoline to run

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » July 29th, 2022, 7:21 pm

It’s actually a little more efficient. Since the engine is charging the battery and not moving the car it runs in a more efficient rev and timing range. Or so the experts say

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 29th, 2022, 8:58 pm

j.o.e wrote:

It’s actually a little more efficient. Since the engine is charging the battery and not moving the car it runs in a more efficient rev and timing range. Or so the experts say
Mazda will be trying something similar with the MX30 using a rotary range extender.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 29th, 2022, 9:28 pm

j.o.e wrote:

That makes sense but only partially.
The concept of having the engine run at its most efficient RPM checks out... But you throw away most of those gains, if not all, by adding more energy conversions into the system.

Charging a battery is around 80 percent efficient and then converting it to kinetic energy is also around 80 percent

So in this vehicle we are going from the energy stored in the fuel(gasoline) to kinetic energy to turn the generator to electric energy to either charge a battery or to turn another motor at the wheels.

I don't see how this makes enough of a difference over let's say a Prius which connects the engine to an eCVT which combines the generator and the engine to send drive to the wheels. It shuts the engine off when it isn't needed or starts it when the battery needs charge or the user requires additional drive to the wheels

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 2nd, 2022, 2:28 pm

Had a chance to check out the new Honda BR-V
https://www.trinituner.com/v4/honda-tri ... onda-br-v/
There's a 360º VR interior on that page you can check out also

$289,000.00 1.5 7-seater leather

2022_Honda_BR_V_1.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_4.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_33.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_25.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_18.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_35.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_31.jpg

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » August 2nd, 2022, 2:40 pm

i guess its to compete with the Rush & xpander cross

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » August 2nd, 2022, 3:43 pm

death365 wrote:i guess its to compete with the Rush & xpander cross

Correct. In that class of vehicle I find it to be the most attractive. However I still dont like them.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » August 2nd, 2022, 5:05 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Had a chance to check out the new Honda BR-V
https://www.trinituner.com/v4/honda-tri ... onda-br-v/
There's a 360º VR interior on that page you can check out also

$289,000.00 1.5 7-seater leather

2022_Honda_BR_V_1.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_4.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_33.jpg

2022_Honda_BR_V_25.jpg