TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » June 29th, 2022, 1:52 pm

zando wrote:So went to service today at lifestyle, they had one of the new s-cross in the reception area, black fully loaded, I checked it out while I was waiting and I have to say Suzuki did well, it's very nice, everything seems well integrated and the interior seems really well done, also it imo looks like it has more ground clearance than the old one, I could be wrong though, paint quality seemed average (don't think Suzuki was known for that) but fit and finish is good, I like that semi-clam shell bonnet and the 360 camera system seems to be well integrated, I had to hunt for the cameras( good ), a lot of small cars usually have them tacked on like an after market kit.

One thing I noted that I would probably change if I got it was to put bigger tires on, I see it's using 215/55/17 which from what I saw looked too small for that vehicle, I'd step up to 225 which I don't think is far from what it can realistically take, all in I think Suzuki has a really really nice little cuv here, I still think the price is too high though, but maybe they will have discounts or you negotiate something, I think for 249 it would sell really well, but not sure about 270.
Well said zando....a more appropriate pricing scheme would be $240k for the base and $260k for the fully loaded. The 270 and 290 tags are nothing short of ridiculous.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 30th, 2022, 10:17 am

agent007 wrote:
zando wrote:So went to service today at lifestyle, they had one of the new s-cross in the reception area, black fully loaded, I checked it out while I was waiting and I have to say Suzuki did well, it's very nice, everything seems well integrated and the interior seems really well done, also it imo looks like it has more ground clearance than the old one, I could be wrong though, paint quality seemed average (don't think Suzuki was known for that) but fit and finish is good, I like that semi-clam shell bonnet and the 360 camera system seems to be well integrated, I had to hunt for the cameras( good ), a lot of small cars usually have them tacked on like an after market kit.

One thing I noted that I would probably change if I got it was to put bigger tires on, I see it's using 215/55/17 which from what I saw looked too small for that vehicle, I'd step up to 225 which I don't think is far from what it can realistically take, all in I think Suzuki has a really really nice little cuv here, I still think the price is too high though, but maybe they will have discounts or you negotiate something, I think for 249 it would sell really well, but not sure about 270.
Well said zando....a more appropriate pricing scheme would be $240k for the base and $260k for the fully loaded. The 270 and 290 tags are nothing short of ridiculous.

Aren't most of the competitors in that segment similarly priced at the closer to 300k point? (Vezel from ANSA, Eclipse, Qashqai, top end Creta etc)

They merely going with the market at this point

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » June 30th, 2022, 10:31 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
agent007 wrote:

Aren't most of the competitors in that segment similarly priced at the closer to 300k point? (Vezel from ANSA, Eclipse, Qashqai, top end Creta etc)

They merely going with the market at this point

Pretty much the 2WD version is only $5,000 more than the Creta GLS and the AWD version is still cheaper than the Corolla Cross. Also, if priced too close to the Vitara, it may cannibalize Vitara sales for LSM. Or you could buy a Seltos for $20,000 less and cool urself with 2 airbags.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 30th, 2022, 7:53 pm

Lol @ 2 airbag Seltos. It got a 3 star rating from the Global NCAP front offset crash test.

Talk about garbage. It ugly, it unsafe, it unreliable and it have no resale value. How it manages to sell beats me...but to fail an offset crash boi? Folks...if a small crossover is your thing and your eyes are set on one of the 4 nonsenseteers (Venue, Creta, Seltos, Sonet), do yourself a favour and just wait a lil longer to save up some more and get yourself something better like (Corolla Cross, Eclipse Cross, CX-30, Vitara, SX4 S-Cross and or the segment king XV).

A Hyundai sales man mentioned that the Creta has a very capable 2wd system. In other words it's not your typical fwd nonsense...no sir, this is a very capable 2wd system!

I guess the guy who got stuck up Tyrico with his PEB Creta was inexperienced then? Lol

But back to this garbage Seltos for a moment. SS is getting them with 2 airbags but it has a sunroof and places like HSM and P&V getting them grey market roro with 6 airbags but no sunroof.

You would need all the airbags for this one so anyone who is hellbent on one, might as well give Visham a sale.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » June 30th, 2022, 9:15 pm

agent007 wrote:Lol @ 2 airbag Seltos. It got a 3 star rating from the Global NCAP front offset crash test.

Talk about garbage. It ugly, it unsafe, it unreliable and it have no resale value. How it manages to sell beats me...but to fail an offset crash boi? Folks...if a small crossover is your thing and your eyes are set on one of the 4 nonsenseteers (Venue, Creta, Seltos, Sonet), do yourself a favour and just wait a lil longer to save up some more and get yourself something better like (Corolla Cross, Eclipse Cross, CX-30, Vitara, SX4 S-Cross and or the segment king XV).

A Hyundai sales man mentioned that the Creta has a very capable 2wd system. In other words it's not your typical fwd nonsense...no sir, this is a very capable 2wd system!

I guess the guy who got stuck up Tyrico with his PEB Creta was inexperienced then? Lol

But back to this garbage Seltos for a moment. SS is getting them with 2 airbags but it has a sunroof and places like HSM and P&V getting them grey market roro with 6 airbags but no sunroof.

You would need all the airbags for this one so anyone who is hellbent on one, might as well give Visham a sale.
A capable 2wd system huh? Lol I've seen reviews of the Tucson AWD system and it really isn't that capable, that dct would over heat before you can climb two rocks, Mazda has a better AWD system than Hyundai, Subaru is the king of those small cuv's which we all know Al though their cvt kind of letting them down a little but even that let down is better than anything Hyundai has.

At 239 for the base model XV with standard AWD and 7 airbags it can't be beat.

Imo Id take the zuki s cross over the Corolla Cross any day.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 30th, 2022, 9:45 pm

Imagine LSM overpriced the S-Cross and its still better value than a Corolla Cross. To be fair though, we expected it to be cheaper because of less taxes while a more taxed Vitara is still cheaper. This place messed up yes.

Oh and as for those new Tucson and Sportage turbos with dry DCT...good luck heading up Paramin look out with them thing. Your transmission will unleash protest action that would take Roget back to trade union school.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 30th, 2022, 10:29 pm

Lifestyle has some very underhand price gouging tactics... the other day they brought a shipment of Jimny's... all of a sudden started advertising it at an "MSRP" of $250k but giving $26k discount for a "limited time"... oh and all units of all models sell out except for 2 of which 1 in the showroom.

7 months after... they all still parked up in the lot by the highway, the price never was close to 250K... it was just smart man marketing which makes customers loose confidence in the dealership.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 1st, 2022, 6:17 am

Agent007.....question! Why are roro dealers advertising some of their vehicles are being brand new? Saw quite a few different vehicles being "sold" that way. Or is there something I'm missing?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » July 1st, 2022, 6:37 am

Because they are brand new.

The vehicle would have originated from Thailand, Malaysia or as similar location.

However, they would be purchased from a "dealer" in the country and then loaded on a vessel destined for Trinidad.

That vehicle however was not "designed" for our market and would be done for another country. But the dealer in source country still gets the sale so vehicle can go wherever it can to be resold.

e.g. the raj'd out Rocco and Revo are models for a Thailand market. Not for ours as T&T only gets the Hilux from Toyota. Same vehicle but different styling and features. The RoRo dealer here can purchase the Rocco from a Vendor in Thailand, brand new, and then bring it here.

Similar concept applies to all the other vehicles that are sold.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » July 1st, 2022, 6:42 am

As do many others.

IMO, Suzuki vehicles are good in terms of reliability and longevity of parts. I must say the problem is the availability of parts locally and online and then the high cost of the same. I'd say that Suzuki parts are comparable in cost to Toyota but not widely available and with some long lead times from Lifestyle.
Gladiator wrote:Lifestyle has some very underhand price gouging tactics... the other day they brought a shipment of Jimny's... all of a sudden started advertising it at an "MSRP" of $250k but giving $26k discount for a "limited time"... oh and all units of all models sell out except for 2 of which 1 in the showroom.

7 months after... they all still parked up in the lot by the highway, the price never was close to 250K... it was just smart man marketing which makes customers loose confidence in the dealership.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 1st, 2022, 7:05 am

carluva wrote:Because they are brand new.

The vehicle would have originated from Thailand, Malaysia or as similar location.

However, they would be purchased from a "dealer" in the country and then loaded on a vessel destined for Trinidad.

That vehicle however was not "designed" for our market and would be done for another country. But the dealer in source country still gets the sale so vehicle can go wherever it can to be resold.

e.g. the raj'd out Rocco and Revo are models for a Thailand market. Not for ours as T&T only gets the Hilux from Toyota. Same vehicle but different styling and features. The RoRo dealer here can purchase the Rocco from a Vendor in Thailand, brand new, and then bring it here.

Thanks for clearing up that! Im seeing all kinda Mazda 3,6 and many other being sold as brand new for a significantly lower cost than the stealership.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » July 1st, 2022, 7:39 am

Some may actually dial back the odometer on a slightly used RoRo vehicle and say it's new.

So much tactics with some of these guys that you just can't be sure at times.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 1st, 2022, 8:46 am

Yea saw Mikhail from HSM did a series of vids where he was in Thailand a few months back.. Showing himself going where the vehicles come from.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 1st, 2022, 9:41 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

Thanks for clearing up that! Im seeing all kinda Mazda 3,6 and many other being sold as brand new for a significantly lower cost than the stealership.

Which dealerships I want one but not from the firm

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 1st, 2022, 11:14 am

PariaMan wrote:

RORO Importers had 2 Mazda 3s listed - one white and one black both in the $180k price range.
Both shown as 2021 but can't remember if they were advertised as new or used.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 1st, 2022, 1:48 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
PariaMan wrote:

RORO Importers had 2 Mazda 3s listed - one white and one black both in the $180k price range.
Both shown as 2021 but can't remember if they were advertised as new or used.
Welll dat doh make sense, a brand new one is a lil over 200k and that's a week equiped version too.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 1st, 2022, 4:19 pm

The top end 3s are close to 241k at SS. Locally that's the one with the bigger rim (18" I think)
Based on the photos on the FU page the rims looks like its the top end version so thats a $56k difference. (Assuming a like for like on the models)

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 1st, 2022, 4:50 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:The top end 3s are close to 241k at SS. Locally that's the one with the bigger rim (18" I think)
Based on the photos on the FU page the rims looks like its the top end version so thats a $56k difference. (Assuming a like for like on the models)
Can you screenshot and place the pics here because all I've seen are the older models not the newer ones, those 18 inch rims I wouldn't touch that, roads not good enough in Trinidad, you'll end up spending alot on tires which is why I say the mid version of the 3 (209) in either hatch back or sedan form from SS is the best version because the wheels aren't too big and you get 90 percent of the features of the fully loaded model for 45k less.

I'd only go Foreign used for that IF I'm getting the new model with at least the 2.0 engine.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 1st, 2022, 5:23 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Agent007.....question! Why are roro dealers advertising some of their vehicles are being brand new? Saw quite a few different vehicles being "sold" that way. Or is there something I'm missing?
Bro these roro dealers doing anything to survive. They will import grey market new and used vehicles. We saw this with the Xtrail Hybrid (amongst many other examples such as Vezel and CHR etc).

Here is a listing of some roro grey market vehicles for sale. Since this thread is about new vehicles only from the authorized distributors, I cannot name where I got these prices from:

2022 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado TX-L 2.7 $860k
2022 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado TX 2.7 - $675k
2020 Subaru WRX STi 2.0T - $540k
2022 Lexus UX300E 2.0 - $480k
2022 Toyota Hilux GR Sport 4x4 2.8T - $430k
2022 Toyota Hilux Revo Rocco 4x4 2.8T - $410k
2022 Toyota Hilux Revo 4x4 2.8T - $380k
2022 Jeep Compass Limited 1.4T - $360k
2022 Honda CRV 1.5T - $360k
2020 Honda CRV 7 seat 1.5T - $340k
2021 Honda CRV 1.5T - $325k
2022 Honda Vezel Hybrid 1.5 - $228k - $290k
2020 BMW 218i 1.5T - $289k - $319k
2019 Mercedes Benz CLA180 1.6T - $319k
2022 Toyota Hilux Revo Pre-Runner 2.4T - $310-312k
2022 Jeep Compass Longitude 1.4T - $310k
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV - $299k
2019 BMW X2 sDrive18i 1.5T -$289k - $302k
2019 Honda CRV 1.5T - $290k - $295k
2019 Mercedes Benz C200 AMG 1.6T - $289k
2022 Honda HRV 1.5 - $253k - $257k
2020 Toyota CHR 1.2T - $250k - $275k
2020 Nissan Serena ePower - $225k
2019 Toyota Corolla WXB 1.8 - $210k -$245k
2021 Suzuki Vitara 1.4T - $229k
2019 Toyota Corolla S 1.8 - $220k
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid 1.6 - $220k
2022 Kia Seltos 1.6 - $220k - $235k
2020 Subaru XV 1.6 - $205k
2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 1.5T - $201k
2022 Opel Insignia Grand Sport 1.5T - $199k
2022 Honda Freed Hybrid 1.5 - $195k
2022 Mazda 3 15S Touring 1.5 - $185k
2020 Nissan Leaf EV - $179k - $186k
2021 Toyota Corolla Fielder 1.5 - $169k
2021 Opel Astra 1.4T - $165k
2019 Nissan Sylphy S Touring 1.8 (B17) - $165k
2021 Toyota Corolla Axio G 1.5 - $145k
2022 Suzuki Swift 1.2 - $145k
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport HB 1.6 - $124k - $160k
2019 Toyota Corolla Fielder 1.5 - $117k - $134k
2019 Nissan Note ePower - $108k - $110k
2019 Nissan Note 1.2 - $97k
2019 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2 - $88k - $92k

The Mazda 3 and Corolla prices does not improve the business case not to buy those cars brand new from SS and TTTL respectively.

Before you hand over the certified cheque, make sure:

1. Find out with all these JDM cars, if those sophisticated touch screen display screens can be changed from Japanese to English entirely.

2. Software/firmware updates, TSB's and recalls etc from the manufacturer...who handling that?

3. Warranty repairs...how is this handled from the dealer? Eg. If the AC compressor, coil pack or window regulator goes bad, would they order a genuine new replacement part or install some generic after-market item in its replacement? Cause we know they have 0 contact with the manufacturer.

Out of that list above, I'm liking the CRV, Impreza and the Sylphy a lot. Those should come with the standard double DIN accommodation for a nice Pioneer replacement head unit. No need for band expander nonsense or Google translate. Also parts for those can easily be sourced locally and quite easily from Miami.

The Ioniq price is laughable. When you look at how much a brand new one selling for now, somebody definitely not in their right mind to advertise $220k for a 3 year old disposable car.

4. For those who parting ways with $400k+ to buy a Thai spec Hilux....again before you hand over the certified cheque, talk to a local Toyota tech and find out if the state of tune for that 2.8 is exactly the same as the local units. While you at it, open up the glove box and check for the owner's manual. You will figure it out at that point.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » July 1st, 2022, 6:12 pm

Saw a BMW IX today..do you guys have information on that as well?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 1st, 2022, 6:13 pm

I saw that Opel being sold and I was wondering who in their right mind would buy that one off vehicle.

So many other practical ways to spend that money.

That wxb 1.8 would be the wagon right?

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 1st, 2022, 6:50 pm

Dave wrote:I saw that Opel being sold and I was wondering who in their right mind would buy that one off vehicle.

I see d&d selling the Opel astra brand new for very very cheap .

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 1st, 2022, 7:11 pm

zando wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:The top end 3s are close to 241k at SS. Locally that's the one with the bigger rim (18" I think)
Can you screenshot and place the pics here because all I've seen are the older models not the newer ones, those 18 inch rims I wouldn't touch that, roads not good enough in Trinidad, you'll end up spending alot on tires which is why I say the mid version of the 3 (209) in either hatch back or sedan form from SS is the best version because the wheels aren't too big and you get 90 percent of the features of the fully loaded model for 45k less.

I'd only go Foreign used for that IF I'm getting the new model with at least the 2.0 engine.

This is one....among many others....from RORO importers and HSM
Attachments
1656714412957.jpg
1656714421019.jpg
1656714428083.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 1st, 2022, 10:26 pm

Dave wrote:I saw that Opel being sold and I was wondering who in their right mind would buy that one off vehicle.

The roro dealer in question has 14 Astra's on their website and 3 Insignias.

The Astra is basically a Chevrolet Cruze with a different body and interior but sharing the same platform. The 1.4T engine, transmission, suspension and braking system should be swappable, but doh quote me on that. Perhaps MG Man can confirm.

Similarly, the Insignia is basically a Chevrolet Malibu sharing the same platform..stuff like the engine, transmission, suspension and braking system should be swappable but again MG Man can confirm.

I think the prices are pretty good and once you doh bonx them, I don't see any real issue with these tbh. Opel already has an all new Astra though so whoever makes up their mind to buy one of the 14 units advertised, they will have to note that it's already phased out by the manufacturer.

LSM and ERM could be useful contacts for owners.

As for the Corolla WXB 1.8, nope, it's for the sedan. I had the same train of thought too.

eKeith
Street 2NR

Postby eKeith » July 2nd, 2022, 6:03 am

agent007 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Agent007.....question! Why are roro dealers advertising some of their vehicles are being brand new? Saw quite a few different vehicles being "sold" that way. Or is there something I'm missing?
Bro these roro dealers doing anything to survive. They will import grey market new and used vehicles. We saw this with the Xtrail Hybrid (amongst many other examples such as Vezel and CHR etc).

Here is a listing of some roro grey market vehicles for sale. Since this thread is about new vehicles only from the authorized distributors, I cannot name where I got these prices from:

The Mazda 3 and Corolla prices does not improve the business case not to buy those cars brand new from SS and TTTL respectively.

1. Find out with all these JDM cars, if those sophisticated touch screen display screens can be changed from Japanese to English entirely.

2. Software/firmware updates, TSB's and recalls etc from the manufacturer...who handling that?

3. Warranty repairs...how is this handled from the dealer? Eg. If the AC compressor, coil pack or window regulator goes bad, would they order a genuine new replacement part or install some generic after-market item in its replacement? Cause we know they have 0 contact with the manufacturer.

Out of that list above, I'm liking the CRV, Impreza and the Sylphy a lot. Those should come with the standard double DIN accommodation for a nice Pioneer replacement head unit. No need for band expander nonsense or Google translate. Also parts for those can easily be sourced locally and quite easily from Miami.

The Ioniq price is laughable. When you look at how much a brand new one selling for now, somebody definitely not in their right mind to advertise $220k for a 3 year old disposable car.

4. For those who parting ways with $400k+ to buy a Thai spec Hilux....again before you hand over the certified cheque, talk to a local Toyota tech and find out if the state of tune for that 2.8 is exactly the same as the local units. While you at it, open up the glove box and check for the owner's manual. You will figure it out at that point.
This is great info. Would you consider creating a similar independent RORO/Grey Market Thread?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 2nd, 2022, 7:43 am

zando wrote:

FB_IMG_1656762148699.jpg
IMG_20220702_074222.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 2nd, 2022, 9:55 am

Gotta admit the Mazda 3 looks stunning inside-out but for those who don't know, whilst the new Skyactiv 1.5 has the power of the previous MZR 1.6, it's still a slug in its segment. This is trinituner after all so I must mention something about power and speed right?

Also, Mazda ditched the IRS for a torsion beam setup and this model is not available with conventional fog lights, so for the LED fog drivers out there who like to drive with them on during the day and dazzle drivers in the night, you will be disappointed.

Despite having an impressive wheelbase of 2725mm, it's interior space more so the back seat room is not impressive. The new Corolla, Civic, Elantra and Cerato are more generous inside where space is concerned.

Lastly, those 18" rims are not a novelty of any kind, Mitsubishi's Lancer GT which sold locally between 2007 and 2015 came with standard 18" rims on low profile tyres. They look good but 1 pot hole will change your alignment for sure and send you to a tyre shop.

$188k? If you buying it via loan for 5 years then you might as well buy it new from SS and take out a 7 year loan for it. The interest rate would be lower if you finance it brand new and at least you have after sale support.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 2nd, 2022, 10:04 am

eKeith wrote:
agent007 wrote:

This is great info. Would you consider creating a similar independent RORO/Grey Market Thread?
Thanks, I really cannot encourage people to buy what is dumped in our market and hope to sleep properly at night knowing that there is little to no recourse if the proverbial poop hits the fan. If we had better consumer protection laws here and quality standards then sure but for now, I'll pass. Maybe you or anyone should, I'll drop a line here and there once I could.

eKeith
Street 2NR

Postby eKeith » July 2nd, 2022, 11:33 am

agent007 wrote:
eKeith wrote:
agent007 wrote:

Thanks, I really cannot encourage people to buy what is dumped in our market and hope to sleep properly at night knowing that there is little to no recourse if the proverbial poop hits the fan. If we had better consumer protection laws here and quality standards then sure but for now, I'll pass. Maybe you or anyone should, I'll drop a line here and there once I could.
I understand; makes sense. Thanks for the education...

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » July 2nd, 2022, 8:48 pm

I did the research wrt the grey market xv, I test drive one with full eyesight system, no fault of the system but its kaka in Trinidad. Improperly painted roads etc.

I assuming other sight based system will have the same issues. Plus 200k used vs 239 new it's a no brainer there.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”