TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Capleton » July 13th, 2022, 4:47 pm

tmack wrote:
Shalom Vanamson wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Ansa seems to just pull a price from thin air of what the value a vehicle should be rather that the actual cost of a vehicle

Then Stupid Trinidadians think it is exclusive because it's costly and rush to buy it

Plus they feel empowered when the are snobbish towards the Grey market dealers

What a cuntry

Saw what you did there with that last statement. :lol: But I find Massy is just as bad as Ansa. They raised prices on all Navaras a couple weeks ago so the Pro 4X is now 375k the LE not too far behind. Toyota is just as bad selling a Hybrid Rav 4 for over 700k
bess you buy a brand new Prado from Japan or bring it in yourself slightly used for less
. I really dont know what these Authorized Dealers feel it is.

The issue is getting the Forex from the banks @ this time...

Forex is indeed a big challenge, also some manufacturers are raising prices and this is then passed on to the customer via the dealer. Also, the entire shipping and logistics scenario coupled with the automotive microchip shortage has made stock levels very unpredictable for dealers. Could be some are trying to compensate for lower stock through higher mark-ups.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 13th, 2022, 9:59 pm

Capleton wrote:
tmack wrote:
Shalom Vanamson wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Ansa seems to just pull a price from thin air of what the value a vehicle should be rather that the actual cost of a vehicle

Then Stupid Trinidadians think it is exclusive because it's costly and rush to buy it

Plus they feel empowered when the are snobbish towards the Grey market dealers

What a cuntry

Saw what you did there with that last statement. But I find Massy is just as bad as Ansa. They raised prices on all Navaras a couple weeks ago so the Pro 4X is now 375k the LE not too far behind. Toyota is just as bad selling a Hybrid Rav 4 for over 700k
bess you buy a brand new Prado from Japan or bring it in yourself slightly used for less
. I really dont know what these Authorized Dealers feel it is.

The issue is getting the Forex from the banks @ this time...

Forex is indeed a big challenge, also some manufacturers are raising prices and this is then passed on to the customer via the dealer. Also, the entire shipping and logistics scenario coupled with the automotive microchip shortage has made stock levels very unpredictable for dealers. Could be some are trying to compensate for lower stock through higher mark-ups.
Over charging has been going on long before the pandemic

Those who around long will know this

It is nothing new

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » July 14th, 2022, 7:35 am

Forex shortage lol.

Some of you people have the minds of children in that you listen to people but don't look at what they do as what's really important.

There might be a forex shortage for YOU but not for big businesses locally.

Don't you people know that a certain community owns their own bank? Do you ever hear these people complaining about Forex shortage?
The biggest business in Trinidad is baby powder. Who do you think runs the baby powder business? Do you think you can pay for baby powder with TT dollars?
Who do big businessmen lime with? That's right..other big businessmen and politicians who will make business easier for them and profit along the way. And what do they talk about?..that's right making more money.
So these car dealers have access to all the forex they need. Don't buy the BS that people in this thread trying to feed you.

Don't be stupid and let people with an agenda convince you why it's ok to pay a higher price for vehicles. Allyuh dotish awah?

And you certainly don't need no group to fight for you. Open allyuh blasted mouth. If they giving you sheit complain to the highest person you can call or email internationally. Embarrass their poor service internationally on the social media pages. If you want first world service you have to respect yourselves and demand you be treated right. Most of all know the value of every dollar you work hard for.

I went to get a quote for blinds the other day and there are motorised blinds but you have to pay $150 for the remote to operate the blinds. Imagine these multi millionaire big businessmen who have more money then every single one of you in this thread grinding you down for $150 without which you cannot operate your blinds but allyuh close your eyes and pay tens of thousands dollars over price on vehicles and these jackarses in this thread telling you to feel proud you bought brand new sheit from the dealership?
I could tell allyuh tons of stories about huge multi millionaire/billionaire businessmen negotiating with people to get hundreds of dollars off on projects/items that cost millions of dollars yet allyuh with yuh lil showroom new vehicle close your eyes and overpay by tens of thousands and smile?
Repect every dollar you earn and get value for your money. The people you are buying from fight for every single dollar....literally.... be the same with your hard earned money.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 14th, 2022, 8:34 am

Well preached

We are being given shite to eat and told its ice cream , we then turn to our brethren and tell them here have some ice cream it's good for you

tmack
Street 2NR

Postby tmack » July 14th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Skanky wrote:Forex shortage lol.

Some of you people have the minds of children in that you listen to people but don't look at what they do as what's really important.

There might be a forex shortage for YOU but not for big businesses locally.

Don't you people know that a certain community owns their own bank? Do you ever hear these people complaining about Forex shortage?
The biggest business in Trinidad is baby powder. Who do you think runs the baby powder business? Do you think you can pay for baby powder with TT dollars?
Who do big businessmen lime with? That's right..other big businessmen and politicians who will make business easier for them and profit along the way. And what do they talk about?..that's right making more money.
So these car dealers have access to all the forex they need. Don't buy the BS that people in this thread trying to feed you.

Don't be stupid and let people with an agenda convince you why it's ok to pay a higher price for vehicles. Allyuh dotish awah?

And you certainly don't need no group to fight for you. Open allyuh blasted mouth. If they giving you sheit complain to the highest person you can call or email internationally. Embarrass their poor service internationally on the social media pages. If you want first world service you have to respect yourselves and demand you be treated right. Most of all know the value of every dollar you work hard for.

I went to get a quote for blinds the other day and there are motorised blinds but you have to pay $150 for the remote to operate the blinds. Imagine these multi millionaire big businessmen who have more money then every single one of you in this thread grinding you down for $150 without which you cannot operate your blinds but allyuh close your eyes and pay tens of thousands dollars over price on vehicles and these jackarses in this thread telling you to feel proud you bought brand new sheit from the dealership?
I could tell allyuh tons of stories about huge multi millionaire/billionaire businessmen negotiating with people to get hundreds of dollars off on projects/items that cost millions of dollars yet allyuh with yuh lil showroom new vehicle close your eyes and overpay by tens of thousands and smile?
Repect every dollar you earn and get value for your money. The people you are buying from fight for every single dollar....literally.... be the same with your hard earned money.

Fully agree with your points mentioned above, however, this was my experience when dealing with a bank that begins with S, I could've gotten the forex for my company, however, as an 'individual, I encountered issues.

Now that being said a very salient point in regards to how these multi-millionaires treat and deal with their clients, of which I'm of the view that we need better Consumer protection laws here, but this is Trinidad, the land where we love to put the cart in front of the horse!

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » July 14th, 2022, 9:17 pm

So, skanky, tmack and pariaman, simple question here.

In reading your last posts which for the most part are sensible, what exactly are the issues of concern?

Persons purchasing new cars from new car dealers for "exorbitant" prices and features not necessarily commensurate with the price?

Other tuners beating up on the new cars being sold by the grey market dealer?

Foreign exchange "shortage"?

General high prices of vehicles and perhaps other goods?

It's a bit confusing to ascertain what exactly your position is.

But, if it's known, perhaps we can try to discuss if we can do anything as consumers.

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby greggle71 » July 14th, 2022, 9:37 pm

The notion of car dealers getting preference for Forex ain’t new, Duty MVT and VAT on a car is a big chunk of the sale price, government eating a nice food from the man on the street by giving stealerships access to FOREX to pay and ship cars in for decades.

What you pay for a vehicle is much different different to what the dealer pays, just look at your pro forma invoice. Government loves it every time a car is sold. So keep giving them the very scarce forex

The aggregate of taxes on 1 new vehicle sold at 350,000 can pay the base salary of a public servant (eg. a primary school teacher) for a full year.

tmack
Street 2NR

Postby tmack » July 14th, 2022, 10:43 pm

carluva wrote:So, skanky, tmack and pariaman, simple question here.

In reading your last posts which for the most part are sensible, what exactly are the issues of concern?

Persons purchasing new cars from new car dealers for "exorbitant" prices and features not necessarily commensurate with the price?

Other tuners beating up on the new cars being sold by the grey market dealer?

Foreign exchange "shortage"?

General high prices of vehicles and perhaps other goods?

It's a bit confusing to ascertain what exactly your position is.

But, if it's known, perhaps we can try to discuss if we can do anything as consumers.

Carluva, my only 'issue of concern' is better consumer protection laws for 'We The People'. I'm not so concerned about the 'grey markets' as I truly believe that they are a 'necessary evil', sadly from my observation, the government claims that our market is 'close' to a 'free market' yet they ensure that their financiers are 'protected' by stifling the competition.

Ensuring proper consumer rights is my only position and generally, I'm just discussing like others some interests in regards to the new vehicles that are being promoted, as currently, I'm in the market for a new ride.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 15th, 2022, 5:30 am

Devaluation will bite really hard ....it's either that or continue having the forex shortage among the general population. Anyway my take we the consumers and citizens allow such by continuing to purchase these vehicles at the exorbitant prices. Do the maths for one sec with the cost of vehicles here and in America even with taxes included there is no reason a vehicle should be 300k and that is the norm. A vehicle is the only depreciating asset but to each his own.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 15th, 2022, 8:22 am

Listen up, if promoting and discussing new vehicles is offensive to some of you all, kindly seek alternative threads that would lower your respective blood pressures.

This thread is for constructive discussions only. Name calling, nonsensical rants and trolling etc is generally not tolerated on this forum but unfortunately, a lot of us get away with nonsense because of some toothless, spineless and hypocritical moderators.

That being said, if anyone of you all would like to create a used vehicle discussions thread, kindly do so and keep the banter off of this one.

I have been an advocate for sharing information for ALL of us to disseminate as you the user see fit. For 13 straight years I gave you all updates, pricing and even my feedback on vehicles. I was never paid to do this but it's just my love for it that drives me.

I shared my number here, on pm's and on some whatsapp groups and nearly every single day for over a decade, I get people calling me for some sort of advice from loan/financing procedures, insurance related questions and of course with the vehicles itself.

I am probably a legitimate/certified car nut. All auto channels on YT I'm subscribed to; I've been glued to the magazines since 1996. I still have the very first copy of C&D in a specially made shelf with hundreds of them in perfect condition up to this day.

I have brochures (local and international color prints) as part of my collection and what I don't have, I have a pdf copy of the same.

Reading and retaining specs and press kits are a daily routine. I could recite things about cars the same way a form 1 student could recite SEA past papers.

If you follow my rhetoric since inception, you would see that both grey market and legitimate dealers have their advantages and disadvantages. However, for now, I maintain that for true developed country status and for the sake of unnecessary forex bleeding, we need to curb the imports of things that are not an absolute necessary. It's unheard of hearing about foreign used cars in some countries let alone foreign used tyres and batteries etc.

With the proposed slow removal of the roro segment, we need intervention from the powers that be to ensure that there are more controls and checks on the new vehicle segment which is brand monopolistic atm.

The advantages of the new vehicle sector outweighs the used vehicle sector tremendously. Does this mean I simply hate the grey market? Absolutely not! I personally have benefitted a number of times from roro vehicles but I have since moved on. Similarly, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many my immediate and extended families benefited from such.

Folks, it is what it is. If this is offensive to you, save the rant and go create another thread. Sadly, I've taken note of the trouble makers itt, at this point, it doesn't matter what your responses would be, because you all are being ignored henceforth. I can't prevent you from posting alluh nonsense but I can promise you, you're not getting a response even if you have a legit question.

So, what's next for this thread anyway? For years I've been talking about having my own formal platform and never acted on it and I figured maybe the time is drawing nearer to that. So maybe, another thread may not be necessary after all cause I suspect sometime in the future, my time in this particular format will come to an end.

For those who have been with me since day one, I don't think I ever mentioned this publicly but thanks a lot. I must give credit to all those who prefer to stay anonymous yet feed me with vital inside info etc.

Keep it flowing guys, win lose or draw, we all are ultimately on the same side. Let's make it count!

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 15th, 2022, 8:32 am

It's a forum which means different views should be expected

If all the views were just one sided then it would become just an advertisement for new cars

I do not think they was the intention of the creator of Trinituner and by extension the moderators

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » July 15th, 2022, 12:03 pm

The New Crown Line. First model to be sold from the new lineup is the Car on stilts thingamajig. Hybrid Powertrains.

Rest of the lineup

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 15th, 2022, 12:45 pm

I'm really proud of Toyota with that new Crown crossover. My goodness it looks good it's like a mixture of Mazda and Maserati.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » July 15th, 2022, 3:18 pm

i taking the red sport

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 15th, 2022, 3:19 pm

agent007 wrote:Listen up, if promoting and discussing new vehicles is offensive to some of you all, kindly seek alternative threads that would lower your respective blood pressures.

This thread is for constructive discussions only. Name calling, nonsensical rants and trolling etc is generally not tolerated on this forum but unfortunately, a lot of us get away with nonsense because of some toothless, spineless and hypocritical moderators.

That being said, if anyone of you all would like to create a used vehicle discussions thread, kindly do so and keep the banter off of this one.

I have been an advocate for sharing information for ALL of us to disseminate as you the user see fit. For 13 straight years I gave you all updates, pricing and even my feedback on vehicles. I was never paid to do this but it's just my love for it that drives me.

I shared my number here, on pm's and on some whatsapp groups and nearly every single day for over a decade, I get people calling me for some sort of advice from loan/financing procedures, insurance related questions and of course with the vehicles itself.

I am probably a legitimate/certified car nut. All auto channels on YT I'm subscribed to; I've been glued to the magazines since 1996. I still have the very first copy of C&D in a specially made shelf with hundreds of them in perfect condition up to this day.

I have brochures (local and international color prints) as part of my collection and what I don't have, I have a pdf copy of the same.

Reading and retaining specs and press kits are a daily routine. I could recite things about cars the same way a form 1 student could recite SEA past papers.

If you follow my rhetoric since inception, you would see that both grey market and legitimate dealers have their advantages and disadvantages. However, for now, I maintain that for true developed country status and for the sake of unnecessary forex bleeding, we need to curb the imports of things that are not an absolute necessary. It's unheard of hearing about foreign used cars in some countries let alone foreign used tyres and batteries etc.

With the proposed slow removal of the roro segment, we need intervention from the powers that be to ensure that there are more controls and checks on the new vehicle segment which is brand monopolistic atm.

The advantages of the new vehicle sector outweighs the used vehicle sector tremendously. Does this mean I simply hate the grey market? Absolutely not! I personally have benefitted a number of times from roro vehicles but I have since moved on. Similarly, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many my immediate and extended families benefited from such.

Folks, it is what it is. If this is offensive to you, save the rant and go create another thread. Sadly, I've taken note of the trouble makers itt, at this point, it doesn't matter what your responses would be, because you all are being ignored henceforth. I can't prevent you from posting alluh nonsense but I can promise you, you're not getting a response even if you have a legit question.

So, what's next for this thread anyway? For years I've been talking about having my own formal platform and never acted on it and I figured maybe the time is drawing nearer to that. So maybe, another thread may not be necessary after all cause I suspect sometime in the future, my time in this particular format will come to an end.

For those who have been with me since day one, I don't think I ever mentioned this publicly but thanks a lot. I must give credit to all those who prefer to stay anonymous yet feed me with vital inside info etc.

Keep it flowing guys, win lose or draw, we all are ultimately on the same side. Let's make it count!
I don't see how discussing new car prices etc can be offensive to someone unless it's the sales people or friends of owners of new companies coming in here and trying to defend the prices, I honestly see that as the only reason, I dunno why the average person out there who getting screwed by a big company would want to defend said big company. ,

I genuinely believe there are lurkers on here who would only start typing when it benefits them and try to steer the narrative their way, maybe I'm wrong.

tmack
Street 2NR

Postby tmack » July 15th, 2022, 3:23 pm

The Silver Grey Crown looks similar to the lucid air.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » July 15th, 2022, 3:30 pm

How much them worth ..a pound and a crown?

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » July 15th, 2022, 4:00 pm

That’s a lot of grille in the front, a lot of new models for different makes using that kind of design language, not my taste tbh

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » July 15th, 2022, 4:02 pm

greggle71 wrote:That’s a lot of grille in the front, a lot of new models for different makes using that kind of design language, not my taste tbh

Supposedly it helps with road presence :lol:

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » July 16th, 2022, 6:54 am

Don't know if it will affect our market as the CRV is made in Thailand for TT. Maybe the reason for the price spike in the HRV (not discussing other factors) and intro of the BRV.

Part of the article:
"Honda is simplifying its Japanese lineup by discontinuing the CR-V, Insight, and Shuttle in that region, according to a report from Best Car. In addition, the company is temporarily dropping the Accord from the JDM market until the next-gen model arrives.

Production of the CR-V, Insight, and Shuttle ends in August. There's no decision yet about introducing next-gen versions of these products to the lineup available in the country, this report claims. Assembly of the Accord for the Japanese market stops in September."

Full article can be read below:

Link: https://www.motor1.com/news/598036/hond ... -in-japan/

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 16th, 2022, 9:13 am

That's a bold move I must admit. So soon no more roro JDM imported CRVs into T&T. This would upset all those roro supporters itt who were otherwise lined up to buy them.

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » July 16th, 2022, 12:35 pm

That sucks was looking forward to seeing the CRV that came out this week on our roadways. But I guess it makes way for the ZRV (basically the new American HRV and not our HRV) to enter their market.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » July 16th, 2022, 12:51 pm

The new CRV has grown; 3" longer and .5" wider that the current 5th gen. Time will tell what comes to our shores. The RORO JDM ones that are coming in from looking at them are "watered" down variants vs our loaded version. No front sensors. some with no rear, no leather or moonroof and some the 7 seater. Not worth the price being called. Personally, when the CRV was under 400k it was a good buy compared to the RORO ones imo.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 16th, 2022, 1:04 pm

I don't think Honda lovers have anything to worry about. The best HRV and BRV cannot replace a CRV. The latter is in a bigger more expensive class of crossover so I'm sure eventually the 2023/4 model will make it to our shores especially if it's competition like RAV4, Xtrail, CX5 and Forester continue to sell here.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 21st, 2022, 5:52 am

Good day all, so here we have the new grand vitara, yes, it's back as a pseudo offroader, unlike the old one, it's based off of the Toyota highrider, also it's powered by a na 1.5 so I don't know if to put this above or below the s-cross as the s-cross has the better engine, so yea there you go!
Screenshot_20220721-054643__01.jpg

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » July 21st, 2022, 7:52 am

Agent007

Any idea if the new model Suburu XV will arrive and if it will come with the turbo charged engine.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 21st, 2022, 10:37 am

Zando, so I take it the Grand Vitara replaces the current Vitara? Moving from a 1.6 to a 1.5? Lol ok then. If I had to pick a little zuki crossover, it would be the S-Cross.

Randolph, I am not even aware of a new XV. All I can say to that is: 1. Don't hold your breath. Subaru like many automakers got hit hard with supply issues so we in TT are not a priority market. 2. A 4th gen XV would still be based off of the SGP, albeit with a redesigned interior and exterior. Stuff like suspension, braking system and transmission type are expected to be carry overs and yes more than likely we will eventually get the 1.5T but that's a while from now.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » July 21st, 2022, 12:37 pm

Are there any new cars (not SUVs or pickups) being sold locally with manual transmissions?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 21st, 2022, 12:45 pm

What's a manual transmission?
You want a manual transmission car?

Lol
Rory Phoulorie wrote:Are there any new cars (not SUVs or pickups) being sold locally with manual transmissions?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 21st, 2022, 1:03 pm

carluva wrote:... So hear this question using an example with random information and to just be devil's advocate. If Toyota manufactures 50,000 Hiluxes of a particular trim level at the Thailand plant which are destined for the Australian market, Toyota Motor Corporation can sell each unit at a price of $XXX to the Aussie dealer.

However, if the Thailand plant manufactures 1,000 Hiluxes at a similar trim to the Aussie destined trim (but omitting several other features and with a different engine tune) and sends these to Toyota Trinidad and Tobago Limited, do you think Toyota Motor Corporation will sell each unit at a similar price of $XXX?

Or is it possible that since T&T is a smaller market, the Toyota Motor Corporation markup to TTTL will be much more per unit? In other words larger sales volume can result in lower markup per unit versus smaller sales volumes with a higher markup per unit. This is a typical sales strategy and model that many companies and businesses utilize. So, is it conceivable that the high price of the Hilux is actually "justifiable" at TTTL since the source price is already set at a higher value? And further, while we as consumers believe that the price is high, the price is probably as accurate as it can be to also cater for dealer profit.

IDK how the pricing works as we will never know the true cost of the unit from the factory.

Thoughts.

These scenarios are not uncommon:

.. The product mix is wrong for the target market - parts are ordered and builds scheduled but certain models do not sell well. The cost of not building is $millions per day. So vehicles are built and an unrelated market is chosen to sell those models with at a lower wholesale price.

.. The product is popular in the target market - to keep the target dealerships happy, vehicle production goes into overtime with volume and cost increases. The OEM may decide to lower the wholesale price to gain or retain vehicle sales volumes for marketing advantage.

.. Small market wants a particular vehicle that's popular- the small increase in sales may bump volumes to gain lower Tier 1 per part costs.

.. Small market wants a particular vehicle that's popular - volume is not available so some vehicles are made available by dealership paying a premium.

.. Regulatory changes - some vehicles may no longer be saleable in the target market so obsolete models are dumped at a lower wholesale profit margin.

.. Transport cost considerations - It is always much more expensive to sell a few cars in a small market a long distance away. Manufacturers move into countries to lower these costs and to have a faster response to changes in market wants and needs.

If the OEM wants to market their ties to the Caribbean, you will see better dealership training and pricing, if the OEM is interested in profits, you will only see RORO sellers and zombie dealerships.

People tend to vote with their pocket and voters seldom truly understand the issues.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”