TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

zando
Trinituner Peong

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby zando » January 28th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Capleton wrote:
zando wrote:Really liking the new qashqai in black pong and a crown when it reach, ' trust me bro ' Screenshot_20220126-151331__01.jpg

the rate Massy going, I won't be surprised to see the new Qashqai start at somewhere around $300K and the fully loaded closer to $400K.....
In a few years it coming roll on roll off for a 250, bide uh time that's where u hadda buy all Nissan products.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 31st, 2022, 8:36 pm

So 5 grand a month over 8 years, who in?
Screenshot_20220131-195211__01.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 31st, 2022, 10:30 pm

I was aware that vehicle loans were up to 7 years. Now they've reached 8 year terms!

That's so insanely amazing.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 31st, 2022, 11:13 pm

carluva wrote:I was aware that vehicle loans were up to 7 years. Now they've reached 8 year terms!

That's so insanely amazing.
Tellll me you being sarcastic lol

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 31st, 2022, 11:19 pm

Dude, emphasis on the word "insanely".

Put another way, that is so shocking (i.e. amazing) and utter madness (i.e. insanely).

Maybe it's just me and maybe I am ignorant and perhaps arrogant as well, but why would anyone succumb themselves to an 8 year loan for a vehicle?

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » January 31st, 2022, 11:51 pm

only way they could afford it?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » February 1st, 2022, 10:44 am

Madness ….. Trinis need to embrace their third world income and learn to drive econoboxes.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » February 1st, 2022, 11:40 am

LSM should be getting the all new S-Cross in the coming months. Word is that it is coming with the 1.4L Turbo (Boosterjet) engine and 6AT tranny. Should be available in both 2WD and AWD versions. Would be interesting to see the price point and some more detailed specs....All in due time I guess.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » February 1st, 2022, 12:50 pm

Capleton wrote:LSM should be getting the all new S-Cross in the coming months. Word is that it is coming with the 1.4L Turbo (Boosterjet) engine and 6AT tranny. Should be available in both 2WD and AWD versions. Would be interesting to see the price point and some more detailed specs....All in due time I guess.
I really like that new s-cross.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 1st, 2022, 3:00 pm

Why not bring the 1.0 boosterjet as well

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 1st, 2022, 3:02 pm

Alright, let's do some quick maths:

Kona = $395k cash price

8 year loan @ 4.5% = $4,907.18 (no down payment)

After 8 years you would have paid back $471,089.28 or $76,089.28 above the cash price of the vehicle.

On the other hand, if you take the $395k and place those funds in a fixed deposit at a rate of 2.25% compounded over 8 years, your principal plus interest would be $471,958.30

So the decision to buy a Kona Electric is simple. You buy Kona and set yourself back financially to the tune of $471k after 8 years (plus electricity, service, maintenance costs) which would take you past $500k.

Or

Invest the money into a fixed deposit account and after the same period, you have $472k but you just don't have any wheels.

The opportunity cost here is, having your own wheels could mean the difference between getting a certain job, or matters of convenience, safety, security and saving time as opposed to waiting on taxi etc. That job can give you an income increase which can for exceed the savings of not purchasing the vehicle in the first place.

However, as we saw above, you can simply ignore the car and save money too.

The question is, are we ready to spend $395k on a small electric CUV when we can spend much less on something with a regular ICE and still derive savings out of it. The Kona is no more practical than a Suzuki Baleno, yet it's $235k cheaper than the Kona. Even after 8 years of gas and servicing, I'm sure the Baleno would still be less expensive.

I'm not telling anyone how they should spend their hard earned money, but consider this, the argument of spending $395k on such a vehicle to save money seems 'oxymoron-ish' imo.
Last edited by agent007 on February 1st, 2022, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 1st, 2022, 3:05 pm

That post on the s-cross prompted me to visit Suzuki's website.

You know, the prices of the vehicles are not all that bad. I was especially amazed at the Vitara. Some very competitive prices there for some feature rich vehicles.

A few years ago, I had a Swift. Very capable and competent vehicle. As I recall then, the Swift and SX4 were made in Japan whereas the others like the Dzire and Ciaz were Indian (by Maruti).

From the Suzuki lineup, what's made in India by Maruti and what's made in Japan?

Also, is there a difference in the price of parts for a Suzuki made in Japan vs one made in India? I do recall parts being quite expensive for my meager Swift.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » February 1st, 2022, 3:15 pm

carluva wrote:That post on the s-cross prompted me to visit Suzuki's website.

You know, the prices of the vehicles are not all that bad. I was especially amazed at the Vitara. Some very competitive prices there for some feature rich vehicles.

A few years ago, I had a Swift. Very capable and competent vehicle. As I recall then, the Swift and SX4 were made in Japan whereas the others like the Dzire and Ciaz were Indian (by Maruti).

From the Suzuki lineup, what's made in India by Maruti and what's made in Japan?

Also, is there a difference in the price of parts for a Suzuki made in Japan vs one made in India? I do recall parts being quite expensive for my meager Swift.

I think the S-Cross is manufactured in Suzuki's Magyar plant in Hungary. ....The new design really looks sharp.
Last edited by Capleton on February 1st, 2022, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 1st, 2022, 3:15 pm

The Vitara is from Hungary. They getting vehicles from all over now including Japan and India.

Bessmotors had/has 2 Vitaras with the 1.4T engine priced at around $225k fully loaded with panoramic sunroof. That was/is a good deal.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm

Not bad. Japanese owned, euro manufactured vehicle. Sounds like a good blend.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » February 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 1st, 2022, 3:19 pm

Feel you eyeing that for a new ride when it comes....

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » February 1st, 2022, 4:15 pm

carluva wrote:Feel you eyeing that for a new ride when it comes....

Was more in the market for a Pick-up, but it looking good eh!

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 1st, 2022, 11:32 pm

It does actually.

What pickups are you looking into?

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » February 2nd, 2022, 8:23 am

carluva wrote:It does actually.

What pickups are you looking into?

was leaning more towards an NP300 or Dmax.......but that kinda on the back burner for the moment. Have some home construction going on, so only after that is over is when i'll probably pursue it a bit more seriously.

tris_786
Riding on 13's

Postby tris_786 » February 5th, 2022, 12:18 pm

agent007 wrote:Bro, I'm going to go on a 7 seater rant now.

The Pathfinder is a special order vehicle from Smyrna, Tennesee, USA with a 2.5 months wait time. Massy does not sell much because it comes standard with a 3.5 petrol V6 so the taxes would be insane on those ($750-$795k).

It does enjoy a unique position in the market though, being the only large size non premium crossover suv with a proper 7 seater capacity. The Toyota Kluger/Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Subaru Ascent, VW Atlas, Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride are simply not available.

Besides the Pathfinder, the only other 7 seat options would be the MB GLS, BMW X7, Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, LR RR Sport / Discovery Sport and on the smaller side, stuff like the Sorento and Santa Fe. Fortunately you can order the Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 for $950k approx.

Body on frame wise and as you would know quite well, there's the Fortuner, Prado and Everest. The Fortuner can now be special ordered with a 2.7 gas engine for just under $800k.

Our true 7 seater options are disappointing cause for large middle class families, all they have to choose from are the Rush, Ertiga/XL7 and the Xpander Cross. Its a pathetic situation since it's not that we have proper minivans available either to say that we've got more options. Even though I'm not a fan of Kia, the Carnival is a nice option to bring back as SS brought in an older model several years ago.

So if anyone is interested in buying a ridiculously spacious and powerful true 7 seat Pathfinder, there's two used ones for sale right now. 1 is on trinicars and the other is on pin.tt. The latter is a great deal considering the price.

Hey agent 007 totally agree with you on what you're saying, I'm 16 and all but have a good idea of what you saying. Only thing is though, the palisade is actually available to order for us I spoke to the reps myself as we just ordered a new Santa Fe from them but was also interested in the palisade. The palisade 3.8L is 825k but the 3.5 is slightly less not sure of the price for the smaller engine but both are available to special order, Vehicle was way too massive for us, all we needed was a large enough suv for a golf run lol, we didn't need all that room that's how come we ended up not buying that. What do you think of our buy though? the Santa Fe in particular coming in at around 650k I found we could have gotten something euro but we didn't want the attention of the brand/ badged car, trying to keep a low profile . Let me know your thoughts on the new Santa Fe. Ours should be arriving by June.

agent007
punchin NOS

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » February 5th, 2022, 12:38 pm

Hi tris and welcome to the forum and thread. Congrats on the purchase, I’m assuming you had a part to play in influencing your parent/s wrt the Santa Fe? Just incidentally, I drove behind one on Thursday, it was a PDY and to the back I saw the 2.2CRDi badge.

The last price I had on those were $575k iirc however I forgot whether it was the diesel or the gas version. With our diesel woes in T&T, many are not inclined to go that route only if it’s a pickup, van or truck. Where cars and crossovers and some SUVs are concerned, good ole gas would suffice especially for maintenance and resale value.

People with diesel SUVs and crossovers especially stuff like Everest, Trailblazer, Captiva and the Santa Fe/Sorento diesels take a while to sell especially those German diesels like X5, X6, Q7, Touareg, Cayenne and Grand Cherokee etc..pressure! On the flip side, the Fortuner, Prado, Pathfinder and Pajero diesels are easier sells.

Anyway, that price you all paid is very high but I’m not surprised. The one you all special ordered, is it the 2.2 CRDi or 2.5 MPi / GDi? Or do we still get the older 2.4MPi engines? How come you all did not go with the Sorento instead? Isn’t that more readily available and cheaper?

These days with the global supply problem, I’m not surprised also with that June eta provided. Oh and thanks for letting me/us know that the Palisade is available, can you ask your rep to provide confirmation on which version of the V6 engine it would be and the equipment listing? It means Massy can potentially have 2 large size crossovers for special order, the Pathfinder and the Palisade. Subaru fans would probably want the Ascent here too and that would be way cheaper since it’s a 2.4T so considerably less taxes.

tris_786
Riding on 13's

Postby tris_786 » February 5th, 2022, 2:35 pm

agent007 wrote:Hi tris and welcome to the forum and thread. Congrats on the purchase, I’m assuming you had a part to play in influencing your parent/s wrt the Santa Fe? Just incidentally, I drove behind one on Thursday, it was a PDY and to the back I saw the 2.2CRDi badge.

The last price I had on those were $575k iirc however I forgot whether it was the diesel or the gas version. With our diesel woes in T&T, many are not inclined to go that route only if it’s a pickup, van or truck. Where cars and crossovers and some SUVs are concerned, good ole gas would suffice especially for maintenance and resale value.

People with diesel SUVs and crossovers especially stuff like Everest, Trailblazer, Captiva and the Santa Fe/Sorento diesels take a while to sell especially those German diesels like X5, X6, Q7, Touareg, Cayenne and Grand Cherokee etc..pressure! On the flip side, the Fortuner, Prado, Pathfinder and Pajero diesels are easier sells.

Anyway, that price you all paid is very high but I’m not surprised. The one you all special ordered, is it the 2.2 CRDi or 2.5 MPi / GDi? Or do we still get the older 2.4MPi engines? How come you all did not go with the Sorento instead? Isn’t that more readily available and cheaper?

These days with the global supply problem, I’m not surprised also with that June eta provided. Oh and thanks for letting me/us know that the Palisade is available, can you ask your rep to provide confirmation on which version of the V6 engine it would be and the equipment listing? It means Massy can potentially have 2 large size crossovers for special order, the Pathfinder and the Palisade. Subaru fans would probably want the Ascent here too and that would be way cheaper since it’s a 2.4T so considerably less taxes.

Yes indeed agent, I did have a part to play in the purchase. Yes the 575k was the original cost of the 2.4 gas but the prices have gone up a significant bit. The PDY could have possibly been the new one or pre facelift as I've seen one or two PDY pre face lifts, but I'll send some pictures below of the model we just bought but this one is silver, we ended up going with the black though. I believe we custom specced one with them (eg tan colored interior nappa leather option) so that may be why there is the higher price. I agree the price was very high for a non luxury mid-size Korean crossover. I believe we ordered the 2.2t CRDI I just have to confirm this though, but if not it's the 2.4 GDI. I spoke to the rep and the 2.5 T isn't available for our region, we wished that we could've gotten this lol.

Onto the topic of the Sorento, we currently own two actually at the moment, both 2016's. One is the 2.2 CRDI and the other is the 2.4 AWD GDI, both powertrains are found in the Santa Fe. The diesel actually had to undergo an Engine replacement, we still don't know the true story on whether or not it was the diesel we have in Trinidad or we just had a faulty engine, this I honestly wouldn't know and don't wanna make a false accusation. But the 2.4 gas we've never had a problem with at all and is a great car and very reliable, but power does not compare to the diesel at all, diesel has more of a pull lol. But honestly we've been very upset with Kia's service team and Southern Sales on the whole, the diesel has had many problems included the parking sensors even I could have noticed that they needed to be moved back into place or replaced. When we carried it in they never saw the problem, keep in mind this was over 3 times it has gone in and they have never spotted it. we told them about it and that it needed to be replaced but was never done, even the electronic Parking brake was malfunctioning in the diesel and was a 15k replacement.

In all their customer service isn't so well when it comes to us so, maybe better for others, but I find that for there "flagship vehicle" they could have some better customer service. This and many other reasons, with cancellations of important services eg the traction control malfunctioning, caused us to move over to Massy, the price difference over the Sorento maybe a large gap but we're hoping for a lot better treatment which we have heard from family/ friends they have had great experiences so far. Also dad we didn't too like the rear of the new Sorento has to grow on me tbh.

Honestly the availability of that new Sorento, especially the one we were after which was the 4x4 diesel 7 seater, was extremely hard, all they told me was a meeting next week all the time I called them, and that they don't have stock, I told them that we're ready to purchase but they said no stock even though you see them at Courts' bond lol, they could be pre orders but a friend of ours who came after us got one and we're still awaiting a response but say what we're hoping for better with this Santa Fe.

And thank you for the welcome Agent !

tris_786
Riding on 13's

Postby tris_786 » February 5th, 2022, 2:44 pm

2022 Hyundai Santa Fe

baa55302-a73e-4593-abef-38a0b5929215.JPG
185c43f2-fec3-49c4-8792-8b0d38aa0ebd.JPG
ffe2b306-e43c-4fa9-be0e-96c4c078be14.JPG
Also ill try to get the info from the rep, and the Subaru Ascent would be a great addition to their line-up. These are the pics of the model of Santa Fe we got.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 5th, 2022, 2:47 pm

Thanks for the info bud. Much appreciated. Your experience and feedback is also very valuable to this thread. One would think that the dealer in question would try to bend over backwards to appease any concerns that you all would have had/have since you all would be considered premium clientele but it just goes to show that general customer service and proper after sale support leaves a lot more to be desired.

Re: pics, yup, one just like that i saw with PDY plates.

Oh and I was not referring to the 2.5T GDi but rather the 2.5 GDi NA engine but point noted nevertheless. It's a nice machine regardless and congrats to you all again.

tris_786
Riding on 13's

Postby tris_786 » February 5th, 2022, 3:05 pm

agent007 wrote:Thanks for the info bud. Much appreciated. Your experience and feedback is also very valuable to this thread. One would think that the dealer in question would try to bend over backwards to appease any concerns that you all would have had/have since you all would be considered premium clientele but it just goes to show that general customer service and proper after sale support leaves a lot more to be desired.

Oh and I was not referring to the 2.5T GDi but rather the 2.5 GDi NA engine but point noted nevertheless. It's a nice machine regardless and congrats to you all again.

Of course man anytime, I appreciate what you said about the thread and yes the after sale support and good customer service does indeed go a long way.

re: on the pics, ok cool. and noted on what you said about the engine.

And thanks again on the congrats, I can't wait till we get it !

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » February 6th, 2022, 6:46 pm

tris_786 wrote:
agent007 wrote:Thanks for the info bud. Much appreciated. Your experience and feedback is also very valuable to this thread. One would think that the dealer in question would try to bend over backwards to appease any concerns that you all would have had/have since you all would be considered premium clientele but it just goes to show that general customer service and proper after sale support leaves a lot more to be desired.

Of course man anytime, I appreciate what you said about the thread and yes the after sale support and good customer service does indeed go a long way.

Why not a Fortuner or an Everest instead? My first choice would be an Everest, the new one would basically be bronco underpinnings and I think those are around the same price.

tris_786
Riding on 13's

Postby tris_786 » February 6th, 2022, 8:12 pm

zando wrote:
tris_786 wrote:

Why not a Fortuner or an Everest instead? My first choice would be an Everest, the new one would basically be bronco underpinnings and I think those are around the same price.

Yep agreed on that, both the Fortuner and the Everest were some contenders for us. We went to check out the Fortuner but in my opinion the interior was a bit dated compared to what we were getting in the Santa Fe so that majorly influenced our decision. But I must admit the Fortuner on the exterior looked amazing and you could never go wrong with a Toyota. The Everest on the other hand I've seen the renders of the new one and it looks pretty amazing, unfortunately it isn't released yet so we aren't able to get that, but I expect by next year it may be at our shores. And as we don't like the current Everest that is being sold at the moment made our decision clear on the Santa Fe. But definitely that new Everest could've been a great vehicle but it would have taken too long as we needed to switch out these cars as they were around 5 yrs old.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 7th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Fortuner and Everest would be more expensive than the Santa Fe / Sorento and only has 3 advantages ie. 1. Ground clearance; 2. a proper 4wd system and 3. higher towing capacity

Luxury amenities, safety equipment, ride quality and handling etc would belong to the Santa Fe and Sorento cousins. To me it's a no brainer going for those 2 Korean cousins over some body on frame rivals (with the gas engines).

For the sunroof lovers amongst us, I don't even think the Fortuner has a sunroof option and to get the pano roof option in the Everest, you have to climb to the 3.2 Titanium trim if I'm not mistaken. By the time ANSA specs a 3.2 Everest, you might as well go HSM and order a Prado TX-L with the 2.7 gas engine which is less than 900k.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 7th, 2022, 11:43 pm

For all the Tucson turbo owners out there, observe the photo attached. Vehicle in question is a 2017 Tucson turbo 1.6 T-GDi with 7DCT transmission. The vehicle is doing 41,200kms and has been strictly maintained by Massy Motors. It has been through 8 service cycles.

Observe the color of the dipstick which shows the internal carbon and gum built up as a result of having direct injection with a turbocharger. Also observe the oil color. The oil smells burnt and 66% of the oil is gone. There are no leaks. So what's wrong here guys?

Massy claims they have been putting 5W-30 in the Tucson.

So are these issues attributed to the cheap oil they are putting inside the engine? Is it our heat and dust and stop and go traffic? Is it our fuel?

I would like owners of vehicles equipped with small turbocharged engines to pm me with pics of oil level and indicate make, model and year of the vehicle in question so that we can see what are possible trends etc, thanks.
20220207_230955.jpg

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”