TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby triniboi49 » May 13th, 2021, 10:40 pm

At that price the Creta is a better buy.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 14th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Not necessarily. The Elantra was built to pass first world crash safety standards since the platform is more rigid and advanced. The Creta was not developed with these standards in mind. Previously I mentioned some details of the Creta platform (just a few weeks ago...look it up). You would realize if one is Korean struck and is down to choosing either an Elantra or Creta, go for the former.

In essence, both are fwd and the Elantra is safer and more powerful. All the Creta has is a couple extra mm in ground clearance. Choice is clear.

NB. The Kia Seltos and Creta share the same 3rd world platform but has an airbag disadvantage to tune of 4 airbags. In other words, the Creta has a total of 6 and the Seltos has 2.

Fact checking for corrections are welcomed if necessary.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 14th, 2021, 2:17 pm

triniboi49 wrote:At that price the Creta is a better buy.
I know looks are subjective but they will need to pay me to drive that fugly vehicle.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 14th, 2021, 9:23 pm

wing wrote:
I know looks are subjective but they will need to pay me to drive that fugly vehicle.

Yeah boy that's the worst looking vehicle on the road currently... sad part is that the old one was actually a nice looking little suv.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 14th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Gladiator wrote:
wing wrote:

Yeah boy that's the worst looking vehicle on the road currently... sad part is that the old one was actually a nice looking little suv.
I agree. Hyundai new design language especially their SUVs are really hard on the eyes. I really don't get the ultra slim lights on the bonnet with the big light in the bumper...it's almost making the juke(puke?)look good.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » May 15th, 2021, 12:14 am

Kia/Hyundai vehicles are generally ugly af

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » May 15th, 2021, 1:42 am

The newer Hyundai are very hideous. Even if you could squint and not hate the front, the sides and back are digusting.

They make the Mitsu Eclipse Cross look good in comparison.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Wouldn't the venue be a better choice safety-wise than the Creta as the venue is also available in the u.s.? And maybe also the Kia sonet? Also the Kia sonet is based on the venue architecture not so? Also the Kia seltos isn't based in the Creta architecture? I know the seltos is available in the u.s. so shouldn't they be using the same architecture?
agent007 wrote:Not necessarily. The Elantra was built to pass first world crash safety standards since the platform is more rigid and advanced. The Creta was not developed with these standards in mind. Previously I mentioned some details of the Creta platform (just a few weeks ago...look it up). You would realize if one is Korean struck and is down to choosing either an Elantra or Creta, go for the former.

In essence, both are fwd and the Elantra is safer and more powerful. All the Creta has is a couple extra mm in ground clearance. Choice is clear.

NB. The Kia Seltos and Creta share the same 3rd world platform but has an airbag disadvantage to tune of 4 airbags. In other words, the Creta has a total of 6 and the Seltos has 2.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 16th, 2021, 12:23 am

zando wrote:Wouldn't the venue be a better choice safety-wise than the Creta as the venue is also available in the u.s.? And maybe also the Kia sonet? Also the Kia sonet is based on the venue architecture not so? Also the Kia seltos isn't based in the Creta architecture? I know the seltos is available in the u.s. so shouldn't they be using the same architecture?
agent007 wrote:Not necessarily. The Elantra was built to pass first world crash safety standards since the platform is more rigid and advanced. The Creta was not developed with these standards in mind. Previously I mentioned some details of the Creta platform (just a few weeks ago...look it up). You would realize if one is Korean struck and is down to choosing either an Elantra or Creta, go for the former.

There are two types of Venues. The 3rd world spec and the NA spec. The platform may have a similar naming methodology/nomenclature but there is less use of advanced/ultra high strength steel sheets in the stamping process. More use of advanced ultra high strength steel in the form of bigger stamped pieces coupled with more spot welding will increase chassis/torsional rigidity. This augers well for safety with calculated structural deformation.

The Seltos we get is different to the NA version. Ours is the 3rd world Indian made model. The explanation remains same as mentioned above.

If you compare the chassis engineering of a Creta/Seltos etc to say vehicles like the Mazda CX-30 or Subaru XV, you would realize why those 2 Jap vehicles are priced as much more expensive crossovers within the same class. What captivates people to the Korean vehicles is features (you know the glitz and glam stuff).

Any real tuner on this forum, once they drive that CX-30 or XV and then drive a Seltos or Creta afterwards would not hesitate to pass up on the Korean rides even if they offered more Bose speakers and led lights.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 16th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Welll I always thought the xv was more expensive because awd, and well the cx-30 comes with a 2.0 so more tax, I agree I'd personally choose a cx-30 or xv in that class, I see the seltos is selling pretty well though.

What's your opinion on that new hr-v? I see some foreign used places advertising it, (hybrid) for 330 - 380tt, which is a lot for an hr-v, even If it's the new model, but I'm surprised they got them so quick.
agent007 wrote:
zando wrote:Wouldn't the venue be a better choice safety-wise than the Creta as the venue is also available in the u.s.? And maybe also the Kia sonet? Also the Kia sonet is based on the venue architecture not so? Also the Kia seltos isn't based in the Creta architecture? I know the seltos is available in the u.s. so shouldn't they be using the same architecture?

There are two types of Venues. The 3rd world spec and the NA spec. The platform may have a similar naming methodology/nomenclature but there is less use of advanced/ultra high strength steel sheets in the stamping process. More use of advanced ultra high strength steel in the form of bigger stamped pieces coupled with more spot welding will increase chassis/torsional rigidity. This augers well for safety with calculated structural deformation.

The Seltos we get is different to the NA version. Ours is the 3rd world Indian made model. The explanation remains same as mentioned above.

If you compare the chassis engineering of a Creta/Seltos etc to say vehicles like the Mazda CX-30 or Subaru XV, you would realize why those 2 Jap vehicles are priced as much more expensive crossovers within the same class. What captivates people to the Korean vehicles is features (you know the glitz and glam stuff).

Any real tuner on this forum, once they drive that CX-30 or XV and then drive a Seltos or Creta afterwards would not hesitate to pass up on the Korean rides even if they offered more Bose speakers and led lights.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 17th, 2021, 9:17 am

Zando, the Seltos started off at $209k and was increased by $22k (now $231k) to capitalize on said sales for more profit. I think it’s the LED lights and the sunroof that caught people and not the fact that it’s a third world vehicle with 2 airbags.

Now tell me more about this new HRV, who has them already? I’m surprised and a bit impressed if this is confirmed true, because Honda literally just started production of it and to be physically in the country is really impressive! At those prices for a grey market 1.5 vehicle, they could keep it. Personally I think it looks like a hard hat, especially in white. I would also like to know if it comes with Japanese displays and if we can get 100% of the menus in English.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 17th, 2021, 10:04 am

I love the new HRV, I love the new Odyssey (Japan) too. But if it is at $330K to $380K it is better to get a Rav4.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 17th, 2021, 11:22 am

agent007 wrote:Zando, the Seltos started off at $209k and was increased by $22k (now $231k) to capitalize on said sales for more profit. I think it’s the LED lights and the sunroof that caught people and not the fact that it’s a third world vehicle with 2 airbags.

Now tell me more about this new HRV, who has them already? I’m surprised and a bit impressed if this is confirmed true, because Honda literally just started production of it and to be physically in the country is really impressive! At those prices for a grey market 1.5 vehicle, they could keep it. Personally I think it looks like a hard hat, especially in white. I would also like to know if it comes with Japanese displays and if we can get 100% of the menus in English.
What's the appeal of a sunroof in our market?

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 17th, 2021, 6:59 pm

I was looking for the posts on fb but can't find them, should have taken down the names of the companies, I'm not sure if they were in the country but it looked like they had them and were in the process of import, those companies that take orders before they import them, if I see another post I'll reply here.

You know anything about the bose 8 speaker sound system in the Mazda 3 we get? I see in the u.s. they get the 12 speaker with the sub, not sure if the one we get comes with the sub or the kick panel speakers.
agent007 wrote:Zando, the Seltos started off at $209k and was increased by $22k (now $231k) to capitalize on said sales for more profit. I think it’s the LED lights and the sunroof that caught people and not the fact that it’s a third world vehicle with 2 airbags.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 17th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Wing,

Maybe you should ask them Seltos buyers that. Would love to see a little survey done on what are their priorities in purchasing a new vehicle.

Zando,

Afaik, the mazda 3 uses an unbranded system. I sat in a "fully loaded" one in the showroom fairly recently and I can tell you, it was boseless.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 17th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Damnnn it's really hard to find a car in this country that has a decent sound system.
agent007 wrote:Wing,

Maybe you should ask them Seltos buyers that. Would love to see a little survey done on what are their priorities in purchasing a new vehicle.

Zando,

Afaik, the mazda 3 uses an unbranded system. I sat in a "fully loaded" one in the showroom fairly recently and I can tell you, it was boseless.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 17th, 2021, 9:36 pm

zando wrote:Damnnn it's really hard to find a car in this country that has a decent sound system.

Zando, on the contrary, it really is not that hard. I am not going to derail this thread with the Bose cons, but in summary, the name Bose is so well known through excellent marketing strategies. To many persons, Bose audio, especially in a car, sound great. To many others, Bose sounds pretty bad because Bose is not sound quality. If a Bose system is standard in a vehicle, I would consider it, but as an option at a dealer added cost - absolutely not. Why? Because it is just not worth the extra money and I could get a far better sounding system, even using the stock head unit, for a much more affordable price.

Do not waste time looking for a vehicle which has a quality sound system. You just may not get it and if you do, it probably is not going to be worth it (unless your budget for a new vehicle is high end Euro, in which case, if you have close to a mil to drop on a ride, then why not a few extra tens of thousands). Were Trinidad destined vehicles equipped with JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate or Infinity Audio systems, much like the Toyotas, Fords and Hyundais of foreign market, then by all means, yes, do consider those. But for a Bose - meh!

Trust me and many other tuners who will agree. You can take your brand new showroom vehicle and simply replace the door speakers and tweeters, add an amplifier under the seat and voila! You are one step closer to a sonic clarity and quality that far exceeds what the vehicle came with, most likely exceeds the quality of a Bose setup but most of all, which is cheaper than what the dealer would charge for its "upgraded audio system" and most certainly best value for money. Two years ago I did just that (replaced head unit, added an amplifier and upgraded door speakers) for under $6,000. Notwithstanding that this was in my now 7 year old vehicle, the quality of sound that I get far exceeds many new vehicles from the dealer (and I have heard a few for comparison) but most importantly, I like what I have.

Anyhow, all I am saying is do not get hung up on a dealer upgraded audio system as you can have this upgraded on the outside and still be in a much better place than what our dealers can offer, especially if what you are being offered is a Bose.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 17th, 2021, 10:54 pm

I upgraded the sound system in a vehicle I purchased back in November 2019. I wanted brand consistency because my head unit was a Pioneer. So I set out to install everything Pioneer. All speakers were replaced and I placed one 12" sub in the trunk. Believe me when I say, no BOSE or RF or Infinity system could come close. I shocked plenty people when they learnt that my entire music system was Pioneer, down to the amp!

Anyway, for stock premium sound systems like the BOSE in a CX5 for example, its pretty decent. Back when SS imported the Kia Sportage 2.0 GT Line, those crossovers came with a JBL branded system and I can tell you, whilst not bad, those JBL/Infinity equipped vehicles want nothing with a BOSE. Surprisingly, a client of mine has an ASX with a RF system and the best way I can describe the sound to you is like listening to a Beats headset. Plenty lows and very little highs. So right off the bat, you know this would appeal to the hiphop crowd. BOSE might not appeal to some youngies because the system targets a myriad of frequencies to deliver an all-round immersive experience. To get more 'pong' you will have to change your factory default sound settings to deliver what you're looking for. Meanwhile it have B13's out there with sound systems so beautifully tuned, it would make a Burmester supplied Benz crawl in a corner and weep in shame.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » May 18th, 2021, 12:07 am

Upgraded my sound system in my Ioniq. Not gonna lie, I'm in love with the car again. I wanted to change the sound system from day one though. Since there's none in the world it was a tricky thing but it worked out well in the end.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 18th, 2021, 3:52 pm

agent007 wrote:I upgraded the sound system in a vehicle I purchased back in November 2019. I wanted brand consistency because my head unit was a Pioneer. So I set out to install everything Pioneer. All speakers were replaced and I placed one 12" sub in the trunk. Believe me when I say, no BOSE or RF or Infinity system could come close. I shocked plenty people when they learnt that my entire music system was Pioneer, down to the amp!

Anyway, for stock premium sound systems like the BOSE in a CX5 for example, its pretty decent. Back when SS imported the Kia Sportage 2.0 GT Line, those crossovers came with a JBL branded system and I can tell you, whilst not bad, those JBL/Infinity equipped vehicles want nothing with a BOSE. Surprisingly, a client of mine has an ASX with a RF system and the best way I can describe the sound to you is like listening to a Beats headset. Plenty lows and very little highs. So right off the bat, you know this would appeal to the hiphop crowd. BOSE might not appeal to some youngies because the system targets a myriad of frequencies to deliver an all-round immersive experience. To get more 'pong' you will have to change your factory default sound settings to deliver what you're looking for. Meanwhile it have B13's out there with sound systems so beautifully tuned, it would make a Burmester supplied Benz crawl in a corner and weep in shame.

What type of vehicle is it?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » May 18th, 2021, 3:55 pm

zando wrote:I was looking for the posts on fb but can't find them, should have taken down the names of the companies, I'm not sure if they were in the country but it looked like they had them and were in the process of import, those companies that take orders before they import them, if I see another post I'll reply here.

You know anything about the bose 8 speaker sound system in the Mazda 3 we get? I see in the u.s. they get the 12 speaker with the sub, not sure if the one we get comes with the sub or the kick panel speakers.

187581118_2894535747472211_8399749794969501181_n.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2894536030805516&id=1540279532897846

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 18th, 2021, 6:13 pm

That's the cheapest I saw yet but still too much for an hr-v lol
Strugglerzinc wrote:
zando wrote:I was looking for the posts on fb but can't find them, should have taken down the names of the companies, I'm not sure if they were in the country but it looked like they had them and were in the process of import, those companies that take orders before they import them, if I see another post I'll reply here.

187581118_2894535747472211_8399749794969501181_n.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2894536030805516&id=1540279532897846

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » May 19th, 2021, 8:03 am

Saw this:

If this is grey mkt price...what is the stealership going price at?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 19th, 2021, 8:07 am

Iirc when the grey market was first to set pricing they were initially higher and when the local dealers eventually brought the grey guys price fell like a hot potato.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » May 19th, 2021, 10:43 am

Would anyone be able to share their experiences of the after service with a grey market new car dealers? Things like warranty and availability of parts.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 19th, 2021, 3:52 pm

This can be a sensitive area as we are bounded by forum rules. All I can say is, when one purchases a vehicle, whether new or used from a grey market dealer, you will not get the same level of after sale support, like owners of vehicles purchased from the local authorized dealerships. If you have to buy a vehicle from a grey market dealer, I recommend you buy cars like a March, Latio, Note and Wingroad etc. easy DIY intervention and most mechanics can work on them with access to a plethora of parts.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » May 19th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Trying to find the right vehicle at a ‘reasonable’ cost is difficult in Trinidad. Any mid size SUV from the a new dealer under 350k - (which in my case is still a lot of money) - is lacking features or you have to live with some compromises. You go grey market you there is a big risk in the type of after sales service.
The features that are important to me include decent rear seating space, USB in the rear, fully adaptive cruise control, powered rear door, decent looks (rules out the Eclipse), decent power, plenty cup holders and reliability.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » May 19th, 2021, 11:14 pm

You should wait for the new quashqai it looks great!
triniboi49 wrote:Trying to find the right vehicle at a ‘reasonable’ cost is difficult in Trinidad. Any mid size SUV from the a new dealer under 350k - (which in my case is still a lot of money) - is lacking features or you have to live with some compromises. You go grey market you there is a big risk in the type of after sales service.
The features that are important to me include decent rear seating space, USB in the rear, fully adaptive cruise control, powered rear door, decent looks (rules out the Eclipse), decent power, plenty cup holders and reliability.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 20th, 2021, 8:59 am

triniboi49 wrote:Trying to find the right vehicle at a ‘reasonable’ cost is difficult in Trinidad. Any mid size SUV from the a new dealer under 350k - (which in my case is still a lot of money) - is lacking features or you have to live with some compromises. You go grey market you there is a big risk in the type of after sales service.

Is a powered rear door really a deal breaker ?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 20th, 2021, 10:03 am

We can argue quite easily about features we consider to be non important such as sunroofs, leather seats, fog lights, heated seats, memory seats, powered tailgate, push button start and awd etc but if the manufacturer didn't think these were not relevant for buyers, they would never include them as standard or optional equipment in the first place. It's buying patterns that sometimes force manufacturers to include what we want just to get the sale.

Fortunately for the poster above, there are some options in the market to consider that has the powered tailgate:

Rav4, CRV, Xtrail, CX5, Forester, Tucson, Sportage (not sure about this one since they no longer import the 2.0 GT Line), Equinox (installed at an additional cost as an accessory option) and the Tiguan.
NB. The larger sized Pathfinder 3.5 4WD Exclusive with powered tailgate is $795k.

If you don't mind having a DCT then the Tucson appears to tick many boxes. If you want something Japanese and not just Jap branded but made in Japan, then the CX5 could be an option. The gap from the cheapest ($349k Tucson to the most expensive $490k Forester) is $141k which is sizeable imo.

Honestly, I can't blame anyone for choosing a Tucson even with a questionable DCT because for someone who has the $490k to spend on a Forester but opted for a Tucson instead, already saved $141k to take you from A to B. You also have a 3 years/100k kms warranty as insurance to quell any concerns associated with a new model. So that $141k could stay in the bank and use the next 3 years to save more money just in case said DCT calls it quits when the warranty is over. I also reckon, the resale value loss on the Tucson could be less than the Forester too. I may be wrong.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”