TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Letter to TTASA from Sheldon Bissessar & PTRT - UPDATE!

Somewhere where to run?

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 12th, 2008, 11:08 am

majority of cars are street cars

most of whom are already on tight budgets and now you ask them to buy slicks and risk breaking of axels becasue they may not have enough power to break the traction on the prepared surface

if you force men to move up to slicks i am sorry but you will see a decrease of street cars on the track and back on the streets

have a 2 day event
street cars on saturday then prep the surface for the full race cars on slicks for sunday

i dont know the time frame needed for a prep after cars on radials have been on it but this may be an option to consider
that way everybody gets a fair chance at the line

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 12th, 2008, 11:23 am

SR wrote:majority of cars are street cars

most of whom are already on tight budgets and now you ask them to buy slicks and risk breaking of axels becasue they may not have enough power to break the traction on the prepared surface

if you force men to move up to slicks i am sorry but you will see a decrease of street cars on the track and back on the streets

have a 2 day event
street cars on saturday then prep the surface for the full race cars on slicks for sunday

i dont know the time frame needed for a prep after cars on radials have been on it but this may be an option to consider
that way everybody gets a fair chance at the line

Well I suppose it will be too much to ask the stock street cars owners to buy slicks to try and race with guys that invest their money to upgrade and modify their cars. They can try the TB surface with the radials and it may help them depending on the tire compound and how sensible they launch their cars (according to their build and experience), and worth a try.
Also, this may be a good proposal for TTASA to have a seperate drag meeting for stock street cars to compete on an upprepared track. (like 15 - 21 secs.bracket)

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 12th, 2008, 11:36 am

i am all for a 2 day event 14sec and slower on saturday
and faster cars on sunday that way the crowd will go to see who they want
and in turn have a smaller crowd for each day making it more manageable wth the limited space abnd resources

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » February 12th, 2008, 11:44 am

good points but i'm sure sunday will still be a bigger day. more people are free on sunday and people always come out to see the "big guns"....

....one thing is for certain, gate receipts will be higher with a two day event, but i leaving that right there.

...and i follow both points wrt the slicks issue.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 12th, 2008, 11:58 am

then u can have a 2 day pass

take the top 3 in t............................

nah ttasa not interested in my ideas

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » February 12th, 2008, 1:41 pm

They can try the TB surface with the radials and it may help them depending on the tire compound and how sensible they launch their cars (according to their build and experience), and worth a try.

I wholeheartedly agree with above...

everywhere else in the world..race teams set up their cars & plan race stretegies according to the conditions which prevail at the particular track.........
thus, tyre pressures, fuel mix, clutch slippage, etc come into play........
are we different here in T&T ???
c'mon fellas.........do your homework & get yr a$$es (sori...machines) out there & compete.......
or is it only horndars cyar adapt :?: :mrgreen: :lol:

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » February 12th, 2008, 2:03 pm

^^
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ny_j-bAhq68&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

dragaholic
Riding on 18's

Postby dragaholic » February 12th, 2008, 2:27 pm

link wrote:
They can try the TB surface with the radials and it may help them depending on the tire compound and how sensible they launch their cars (according to their build and experience), and worth a try.

I wholeheartedly agree with above...

everywhere else in the world..race teams set up their cars & plan race stretegies according to the conditions which prevail at the particular track............
thus, tyre pressures, fuel mix, clutch slippage, etc come into play........
are we different here in T&T ???
c'mon fellas.........do your homework & get yr a$$es (sori...machines) out there & compete.......
or is it only horndars cyar adapt :?: :mrgreen: :lol:

With regards to a drag track conditions, Cars with radials do run on track bite on foreign tracks but the main diff. is the ammount of rubber laid down over the years, you will get some grip with the radials. If we could have continued with the Autodrome I believe we would have been in a position to run both slicks and radials today.
As it is now it makes no sense runing on a bare track with trackbite alone. No matter how you launch it will be wheelspin city. Thus not knowing the true potential of your car.
Lets hope the compound being lain by Sheldon can make up for the lack of rubber on the track.

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 13th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Well, the test piece was lenghtened yesterday and treated with trackbite today. It may be tested this evening. It is now about 35' long from behind the starting line flowing past it a little. The proper test now is a car will be able to burn on the compound and launch. This should make some difference on Sunday with times.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » February 13th, 2008, 5:50 pm

dragaholic wrote:With regards to a drag track conditions, Cars with radials do run on track bite on foreign tracks but the main diff. is the ammount of rubber laid down over the years, you will get some grip with the radials. If we could have continued with the Autodrome I believe we would have been in a position to run both slicks and radials today..

Agreed 100% !!!

It's preparation and rubber... I used to run at Moroso Motorsports park with great success on street radials (just avoid the wet/burn out box).

But trying the same with radials on half assed track bite will not fare as well.

SR's idea is a great option. Pro's need preparation, but your average enthusiast looking to enter the sport will NOT want to put out thousands for slicks so he could run a 14..... we all start somewhere... and somewhere is usually a hairline away from stock which means... slow... :oops:

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 14th, 2008, 9:52 am

The extended test piece was tested lastnight, the burnout and launch by the bikes were successful. However, there was a very small patch that did not stick properly to the surface because of the amount of trackbite that was still raw on the track from last week. Otherwise it worked good for the bikes and a test car with slicks.

MANIAC
Riding on 16's

Postby MANIAC » February 14th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Thanks for all the updates Zaxxon ..... so hopefully with a well prepped track soon, all we missing now is ASPL to carry on the show :skurred: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » February 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

^...is dry season.....err....yeah TTASA vs Autosport.....bummer... :|

...well sunday should be interesting...

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 15th, 2008, 1:37 pm

MANIAC wrote:Thanks for all the updates Zaxxon ..... so hopefully with a well prepped track soon, all we missing now is ASPL to carry on the show :skurred: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The organization part ? I have no comment. Sheldon and the guys just doing what they could for the track and racers. He has some concern about the stopping distance as the track narrows almost to one lane. This will also be looked at for the TTASA meet (as it is a safety issue). I think it will get very interesting for the TTASA meet.

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » February 15th, 2008, 1:54 pm

to me, the braking area is far more important than the launch area.....because is all well as good if yuh get to hook up and drop your best ET...

...but having a bad brake zone is only asking for trouble......that sort of thing should be addressed immediately...

if it's one thing never to take for granted is your brakes...esp. if you intended to run cars and bikes doing excess of 120mph...

apart from that though, i applaud Sheldon and crew for the work they are doing, all be it this a job the body should be untertaking, but another day for that.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » February 15th, 2008, 2:00 pm

When is the next ttasa meet ?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 15th, 2008, 2:48 pm

1 st and 2nd march
but as usualy we wont know anything till the week before

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 22nd, 2008, 4:22 pm

This is the latest update on track preparation from Sheldon. They decided to grind the track to make it flatter so that more tire surface contact will be made to ground and in turn translate to more traction. This is the info he gave me this evening:
He got permission from TTASA to move the starting line 200 feet backwards. This will greatly improve stopping at the shutdown area. He has started grinding the track using a terrazzo machine. At the end of today, 200 feet on each side should be completed . Tomorrow he will continue with 100 feet on each side. This will give a total of 300 feet of a much smoother surface. This surface appears to be a lot flatter. The preparation has left the track will a lot smaller voids making it easier to fill the track bite and rubber. The track will be sprayed with track bite and tires will be dragged for the next four days. I am almost certain that this will leave the surface will little or no traction issues. The cold tar epoxy test piece that was tried last week seemed to have had some adhesion problem. The launch pad had track bite on it thereby hampering proper adhesion leading to some epoxy disbonding hence the new approach. Any assistance with labor will be greatly appreciated. Three drums of track bite would be used to prepare the surface for the upcoming meeting.

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » February 22nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

thanks for the update. i have to work in south tomorrow but on my way home, i'll pass thru to see the prep work.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » February 22nd, 2008, 6:16 pm

Progress... great !

Are they working on it over this weekend ?

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » February 22nd, 2008, 7:01 pm

Yes...all going to the 'bitter end'.......
:shock:

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 26th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Sheldon called me from the track with this up-date. The 300' on each lane was ground with the Tarazzo machine and over he weekend trackbite was applied and rubber was dragged across the surface. The adhesion is good and the application is good also. Work is continuing as this is being posted (check time and date). Help would not be refused. Labour, pick-up for dragging tires, old slicks etc. all needed. Track looks good and some pics may be posted by Thursday, unless someone with a camera goes today to document the progress.

carnagecassidy
Street 2NR

On

Postby carnagecassidy » February 27th, 2008, 3:32 pm

So they on stream for Saturday & SUnday then???????????

turbohead
18 pounds of Boost

Postby turbohead » February 27th, 2008, 9:21 pm

dont know if it was posted b4 but if they want 2 run bracket racing why the hell they starting at quite 2 in the evenin. is like wat four brackets come on start the qualifications like 10-11 an ting, so they cud actually get through one bracket an have no confusion. jus a thought...

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » February 28th, 2008, 10:10 am

Yesterday, the track surface that everyone heard about in the meeting was tested. MadCow saw his front wheels lifting off the ground and the Mintcar Rail showed vast improvements on traction. The test went well. The day before a bike tested the surface with the same tires that the Canadian bikes used and it hooked. One other car tried the surface with street tires (looked like low profile (stiff walled)), tires spun. Traction is good now and work is still being done to keep it like that for the weekend. There will be some fast times this weekend.

MANIAC
Riding on 16's

Postby MANIAC » February 28th, 2008, 10:33 am

^ Lovely !!!!!

turbohead
18 pounds of Boost

Postby turbohead » February 28th, 2008, 7:00 pm

who say aaron hittin 9's an afzal ali hittin 11's

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » February 28th, 2008, 9:00 pm

only weekend will tell..^^^

Dragsta
punchin NOS

Postby Dragsta » February 28th, 2008, 9:08 pm

was down @ camden tday w Micheal Luke and his Rail....

rail getting better traction now...track is hooking up good..

and Guess what....His 17yr old daughter drove it :shock:

i really couldnt believe my eyes....estimated a low 10's with out Noz+ accel only up to 3/4 of the 1320 :o

so we can expect to see some good times this weekend(god's willing)

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Dragsta on February 29th, 2008, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » February 28th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Girl driving that type of car @ that age locally.. Now that's Impressive..

Advertisement

Return to “The "NEW Race Track" Issue”