TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

QG16 woes

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kevinzz
Riding on 13's

QG16 woes

Postby Kevinzz » September 12th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Good day once again tuners, I'm searching for what seems like one of the rarest ECUs on the planet. Looking for a singapore almera ECU. If anyone out there has one and it looking healthy, please pm me. I've searched high and low through the bamboo and about every back road mechanic/workshop in the east but to no avail. The ones I came across all had issues and wouldn't work without running stuff direct (fuel pump + radiator fan) or would not communicate with transmission's brain. The code of the ECU is V3 and the other numbers that follow are A56-U53 AP7.

Trying to swap the ECU alone instead of doing the whole QG18 japanese brain and harness conversion since my QG16 in tip top shape. But if push comes to shove, I will have to swap it since it's a daily driver in the family. If anyone can assist me with locating an ECU or give me some more information on doing the QG18 japanese brain + harness conversion it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks 3ne2nrs
Attachments
Screenshot_20200912-170516_Gallery.jpg

Shiva3
Riding on 13's

Re: QG16 woes

Postby Shiva3 » April 10th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Hi. Now searching for same. Real worries. Burning coil packs. Would be interested to know how you eventually solved problem? Some people are telling me normal almera ecu will work. Is that true?

Kevinzz
Riding on 13's

Postby Kevinzz » May 8th, 2021, 3:52 am

I'm posting this reply here in tamdem with my other one since it applies to the same topic. Hope it helps someone!

Good day 2ners, sorry I know this post overdue for an update and a few people have sent me DMs concerning my solution. Apologies for the delay and well long story short, I ended up doing a Singapore to Japanese conversion on the engine side.

I did this because my ECU ended up frying itself along with some Chinese coil packs I unfortunately got roped into buying.. The cause of the problem is still unknown but the two strongest possibilities may have been either the Chinese coil packs, or a bad ECU ground connection.

Since the QG 15,16 and 18 family of engines are nearly identical with only minor differences like throttle body (cable type/E-throttle), bore/stroke and displacement, it makes sense that the ECU's would also be pretty much the same. And for the most part that's true (slightly different fuel and compression ratios). However, you also need to look at the wiring harness and it's pins/jacks.

There are certain pins that require inputs from speed sensors and other auxiliaries like the tranny ECU. My auto electrician was well versed in these conversions so it didn't take long for him to finish the conversion. But we did have some trouble sourcing the right ECU and harness. An important thing to pay attention to is the previous engine the ECU and harness comes off of. If you have an E-throttle engine, a Cable-Type ECU WON'T work and vice versa (don't ask me how I know this). All in all, consult with your auto electrician on what to look for if you plan on searching yourself. Or, drag him along with you to help you look hahah. Either way, you don't want to buy the wrong parts and cause yourself a headache.

Currently, I'm running an ECU and harness that came off of a 4wd Japanese Almera (Bluebird Sylphy QNG10). It's been over 6 months now with it and there have been zero issues (The Code on the ECU is YU for those wondering). I also haven't noticed any changes in fuel economy but the engine does idle a bit lower than it used to when up to temp (not by much and it makes the car almost silent from 15ft away). As for HP? I'm not convinced it went up but with that being said, the car certain became much more snappy on acceleration. Maybe it's a placebo effect?

So to recap this mess of a post, I ended up doing a Singapore to Japanese conversion because the price some places call for the V3 ECU alone is a joke and to import it would be just as costly, remember to do your research or ask your auto electrician about the pins and jacks you need to look for on the new harness, and lastly, this conversion was done to avoid any headaches related to Singapore ECUs in the future. The Japanese versions are more widely available and way more budget friendly.

Also, feel free to correct anything I may have gotten wrong. I'm not a professional when it comes to cars, just sharing what I learnt!

Hope this at least helps a person or two!!

sajink7
Riding on 13's

Postby sajink7 » March 6th, 2022, 9:10 am

I'm seeing the same issues on my singapore ally, so I'm grateful for this info. Is 'YU' the complete ecu model no.? thanks again,

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”