TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Nissan Sylphy 2006 G11 HR15 Ignition Coil #4 Repeated Failure

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

seriousbusiness
Ricer

Nissan Sylphy 2006 G11 HR15 Ignition Coil #4 Repeated Failure

Postby seriousbusiness » December 30th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Tuners;

As the topic says i'm experiencing a constant failure of coil pack #4, to rectify the problem i've done the following.

Changed the Spark Plugs
Replaced all coil packs with new originals from firm (after 2nd failure of #4)
thereafter #4 has failed twice making it a total of 4 times in the space of 6 weeks, after the first 2 failures of #4 i replaced with foreign used since i want to be certain the issue causing the problem has been rectified.

for further information the car has never overheated, a mechanic advised me to change the ecu, from reading i'm also thinking that the ignition control module may be bad that would be causing the failure (i'm uncertain tho if this would cause failures in the other ignition coils as well, which i've not experienced)

i do experience also a rough idle sometimes which is intermittent and have noticed that the failure occurs mostly under heavy strain, ie. a drive up to maracas or any hill climbing etc.

i'm at a loss to figure out what next steps to try, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Re: Nissan Sylphy 2006 G11 HR15 Ignition Coil #4 Repeated Failure

Postby Sundar » December 30th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Are you running the correct spark plug? (Heat range, Gapping etc). Any oil on the spark plug? What is the color of the tip when you remove it.

seriousbusiness
Ricer

Postby seriousbusiness » December 30th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Yes got denso plugs from massy, there's no oil on the plugs however i've noticed the top of the plug on the #4 looking "scorched" also the body of the plug the metalic part above the tip also had a much darker almost burnt color, the tip of the plug was also looking much older than the others in so much so that it looked like i hadn't changed the plugs in about a year, although it was 3 months ago that they were changed when i was trying to diagnose the problem which was one of the first thing that i did since i thought a bad plug was causing the issue.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » December 30th, 2018, 10:33 pm

OP... the condition of plug #4 you describing seems as though plug #4 getting up in extreme temps....

in a 4 cylinder car the firing order is cylinders 1-3-4-2...
( you just have to know which spark plug is numbered as #1 - usually its the plug thats closest to the timing belt)

check the spark plug that fires directly after plug #4... ( check #2 plug)

check the condition of the plug itself....as well as the spark plug that fires before plug #4 ( plug #3)

check the wire harness and ensure it not shorting out anywhere causing the coil to blow.

also i'd have a look at that ignition module and the wire harness coming out of it leading to the engine bay...

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » December 31st, 2018, 9:45 am

yeah that injector could be leaning out,check the ignition module and harness as he ^^ said. also check for any fault codes.

seriousbusiness
Ricer

Postby seriousbusiness » January 7th, 2019, 3:55 pm

got the problem sorted out, really was a burnt icm module, replaced it and the blown coil pack and she's working like new.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » January 7th, 2019, 8:59 pm

seriousbusiness wrote:got the problem sorted out, really was a burnt icm module, replaced it and the blown coil pack and she's working like new.

glad you got thru... hope you also cheked the condition fo those other plugs in the other cylinders...

the module may have been over volting those plugs and coils - but not to the extent of blowing the coil but causing some damage to the plug.

check those other plugs and make sure they ok.

seriousbusiness
Ricer

Postby seriousbusiness » January 7th, 2019, 11:04 pm

i did, changed all the plugs didn't want to take the chance to run into problems in the coming weeks / months

ahknow
Riding on 13's

Postby ahknow » September 9th, 2021, 10:15 am

Great to hear this was sorted out. Can you or anyone tell me where is the Ignition Control Module? Can you send a picture? Where can I get one?
I am experiencing your exact symptoms, instead of ignition coil #4, my #3 is the issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 18th, 2021, 11:00 pm

u personally removing the manifold?

sometimes theres a clip that holds the harness near to the dipstick, sometimes it does accidently bend and cause problems i saw issues where this burnt two coils till a day i saw it and since then it was fine since. peep and see.

also i do believe the ecu needs to change, the injector driver and coil driver is built into the ecu. replace ecu, recode back key and ya bad.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”