TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

IMPUL SR20VE Hi Power Control Unit.

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

IMPUL SR20VE Hi Power Control Unit.

Postby coltspeed » July 13th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Thinking seriously about sourcing and obtaining on of these. Ive touched on most things around the engine but don't want to go in the direction of a piggy back, stand alone, mss etc. What are the pros & cons about this unit? Any information about this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
p1e.jpg
p1g.jpg
p1g.jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
p2w.jpg
p2e.jpg
p1d.jpg

Anil_Sooknanan
30 pounds of Boost

Re: IMPUL SR20VE Hi Power Control Unit.

Postby Anil_Sooknanan » July 13th, 2015, 11:43 pm

I sell something called nismotronic. Check it out on nismotronic.com . Check under dealers

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 14th, 2015, 9:24 pm

First of all I'm looking to stay with the cvt trans so my drive-train will be limited for low end torque as compared to gears, also the vehicle is daily driven so being fuel efficient is necessary for my application.
Basics - Would like the vehicle to operate stock as possible for normal driving also fuel efficient and be able to get something +++ when driving behavior changes.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 15th, 2015, 8:24 am

the item in the pic is a slightly more aggressive ECU.
its meant for engines that have certain BASIC mods done to them( at factory) to extract a bit more power from the engine.

its a nice upgrade however you will need to ensure your engine has the necessary upgrades - ie cold air intake - full cat back exhaust advanced timing on the ignition..premium fuel...iridium plugs...performance air and fuel filters....possibly larger injectors....upgrade in the cooling system who knows...

however its an easy DIY without the headaches of a retune etc.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 15th, 2015, 8:51 am

Anil_Sooknanan wrote:I sell something called nismotronic. Check it out on nismotronic.com . Check under dealers

Whats your starting cost for a chip installed?
you loading base maps? Or full tunes ect,

i see the men on sr20-dash forum rating up nismotronic

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » July 15th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Picture #3 doesn't belong here, that is not a SR20VE ecu, looks like a regular P11 type ecu for the SR20DE (non-CVT) and utilizes a daughterboard.

It is a reprogrammed unit. It is compatible with the CVT, car stays stock and you plug in the ECU.

MINES also makes similar unit.

They are expensive unless u can get it used and that is still going to run you about $2000.

The performance of this unit can be enhanced by mods like skylinechild said, however they are programmed for premium fuel only unless u want to ping whole day. --> So that kinda throws fuel economy out the window.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 15th, 2015, 9:21 pm

skylinechild wrote:the item in the pic is a slightly more aggressive ECU.
its meant for engines that have certain BASIC mods done to them( at factory) to extract a bit more power from the engine.

its a nice upgrade however you will need to ensure your engine has the necessary upgrades - ie cold air intake - full cat back exhaust advanced timing on the ignition..premium fuel...iridium plugs...performance air and fuel filters....possibly larger injectors....upgrade in the cooling system who knows...

however its an easy DIY without the headaches of a retune etc.

Everything of the above said was done except the injectors.

krack korn wrote:Picture #3 doesn't belong here, that is not a SR20VE ecu, looks like a regular P11 type ecu for the SR20DE (non-CVT) and utilizes a daughterboard.

It is a reprogrammed unit. It is compatible with the CVT, car stays stock and you plug in the ECU.

MINES also makes similar unit.

They are expensive unless u can get it used and that is still going to run you about $2000.

The performance of this unit can be enhanced by mods like skylinechild said, however they are programmed for premium fuel only unless u want to ping whole day. --> So that kinda throws fuel economy out the window.

Sounds well within my budget. Additional mods to accommodate the IMPUL unit can be made. Although i am open to other possibilities but the IMPUL is my main objective.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » July 16th, 2015, 9:40 am

coltspeed wrote:First of all I'm looking to stay with the cvt trans so my drive-train will be limited for low end torque as compared to gears, also the vehicle is daily driven so being fuel efficient is necessary for my application.
Basics - Would like the vehicle to operate stock as possible for normal driving also fuel efficient and be able to get something +++ when driving behavior changes.

if you are paying 2x for fuel, whatever fuel efficiency method you employ would have to use half the amount of fuel just to break even, that is not going to happen. You may save 10~15% at most, so u still end up paying more.

Even with premium fuel (trinidad) you are still going to ping in the noon time heat so from 12 to about 4pm you will ping with these ecus. if u only coming out at night then u ok.

what does your fuel usage look like right now? and what are u using premium or super?

Currenly I get about 450km's to the tank, that is full(click off, not full the neck) to light on @ E using super, A/C on all the time, Mixed city/hwy driving. I have catback, WAI, stock exhaust manifold and downpipe.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 16th, 2015, 10:24 am

Well Korn Krack by fuel efficient i mean not something to be dumping away fuel for power gains. I am aware of what the extra power will cost me in fuel but not something to over-do-it at the same time. I use both types of fuel depending on where i go. Mostly for work early mornings to late evenings runs - super - full tank takes me from south to central from Mon - Sat, Premium would run me the same distance but from Mon by Thurs evening to Fri morning i would have to refill. Full Impul exhaust & headers no cat. With and without AC on.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » July 16th, 2015, 10:58 am

ok so roughly 60km a day 6 days so maybe 360+ km per full tank. on super, but it seems that the car is less fuel efficient on premium or it works so well that you drive radical with the preimum and bun out the gas faster.

do your impul headers have an O2 sensor bung at the front near the radiator or only underneath at stock SR20VE location? What replaced the cat between the header and the catback system? Was it welded or bolted?

No WAI or CAI?

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 17th, 2015, 9:05 am

True said.
The O2 sensor is at the stock location, straight pipe 2.25" welded. CAI.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » July 17th, 2015, 9:41 am

well organise, I know you seem fixed on this unit. It good and will work but the problem to me is flexibility, running costs and value down the road.

first u cannot reprogram it and therefore it cannot grow to meet your needs.
second it will be hard to sell because very few ppl interested in keeping the stock CVT, and even less want to pay for premium.

Probably the best route might be one of the SR20VE units with a daughterboard. This allows you to reprogram it, you can go to the SR16VE tune if u want to go manual, you can adjust VVL activation points without the use of an external controller, you can use super, it will hold its value afterwards because anybody can use it and you can set higher RPM limits for manual use. This is a highly sought after feature because even the SR16 only goes to 7800 or so and if a guy has N1 or aftermarket cams he would need to rev to at least 8500.

That being said, your best bang for buck might be a set of N1 cams, they drop in the engine, and run with the stock ecu/CVT quite well, there is a marked improvement in low down power and torque and of course on the top end is fyah. Also u still would use super. And I don't think you would have issues with resale of N1 cams.

But the heart wants what it wants....

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 17th, 2015, 10:19 am

N1 sounds great but the price. I think that will run me over 3k the prob is i also own a SRDET RWD so if the price is over what i budget for I might as well pump it into that (bang for buck).

Before all this i was thinking about installing a SAFC & RPM switch but afterwards got to understand that the stock ecu activates the intake & exhaust at different intervals compared to both at the same time with the RPM switch. So that plan was scrapped as i did not venture to see what the outcome would be but rather to retain this feature if possible with an aftermarket ecu.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » July 17th, 2015, 10:50 am

are you getting one of those ecus for less than $3600 new? or getting one used for 2K or less?

With todays options SAFC is a waste of time and money. There is an RPM switch that is dual that can control each cam separately if u wish.

Switching the cams at once is not really too big an issue but it may shorten the life of the CVT.

The distinct switching points were done for a few reasons:

smoother power, so not a big jump in torque but a nice small step and then another so a smoother flatter torque curve. This was mainly for the health of the CVT and a smoother driving experience because its auto.

oil pressure/flow considerations, two steps allows the oil pressure to stabilize better between each step hence preventing any possible dips in oil pressure. Also mechanically this ensures a better engagement of the high lobes.

Better response easier for the ECU to respond and control the engine with two smaller changes rather than a single big one. This leads to more optimized and better performance.

What SR20DET u got S13/14/15?

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 17th, 2015, 11:17 am

Best mod for the ve is a box srs

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 17th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Whatever the price but not the cost that i would pay for a stand-alone unit. The info there is very useful hence the reason to retain it because i don't plan to go box for 1- its in a wagon & 2- no 6th gear fun (need to change my instrument panel again speedo off)
It's a s13 red.

Anil_Sooknanan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Anil_Sooknanan » July 20th, 2015, 9:27 am

Have checked out the features of the Nismotronic? I'm the dealer for it locally . I also deal with almost everything parts wise such as N1 cams , headers, gaskets, seals etc. I also have foreign used parts as well as complete engines. Feel free to contact me for a free demo on what Nismotronic can do . It's a easy plug and play system

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » July 20th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Can the basic chip tune be added to the ecu or do you have to install the dual chip board to add the chips. Also are these chips pre tuned and non programmable or do they require tuning. PM me the price for this basic setup pls.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”