Forums

Changing rear coilover

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

1Original4Me
Riding on 13's

Changing rear coilover

Postby 1Original4Me » May 31st, 2021, 11:55 am

Morning - I want to replace the rear coilovers, but only on one side of the car (back left have 4 finger space of wheel gap, while back right have 2).

- Can I replace just the right side coilover?

- If doable, will it be cheaper to replace the shock absorber alone and use back the coil spring or to buy the entire assembly? (It's the shock in coil type suspension, not a separate shock from the coil spring)
Attachments
16224762210008075440649836711903.jpg

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Re: Changing rear coilover

Postby Sundar » June 1st, 2021, 1:04 pm

1Original4Me wrote:Morning - I want to replace the rear coilovers, but only on one side of the car (back left have 4 finger space of wheel gap, while back right have 2).

- Can I replace just the right side coilover?

- If doable, will it be cheaper to replace the shock absorber alone and use back the coil spring or to buy the entire assembly? (It's the shock in coil type suspension, not a separate shock from the coil spring)

okay
(1) That is not a coilover but a normal MacPherson Strut.
(2) Use a measuring tape or a ruler to give measurement.
(3) How did you troubleshoot this problem?
(4) What vehicle is it?
(5) Replacement has two options, foreign used where you buy and replace the entire thing or new Shock and your Mechanic/Technician will disassemble and replace. But first you need to know what is the cause of your issue. Shock Mount Rubber? Spring sagging? Shock Absorber leaking? Get your car checked.

1Original4Me
Riding on 13's

Postby 1Original4Me » June 4th, 2021, 9:30 pm

[/quote] okay
(4) What vehicle is it?
(5) Replacement has two options, foreign used where you buy and replace the entire thing or new Shock and your Mechanic/Technician will disassemble and replace. But first you need to know what is the cause of your issue. Shock Mount Rubber? Spring sagging? Shock Absorber leaking? Get your car checked.[/quote]

(Still very new to this site, so formatting might be odd)

1. Noted
2. 7cm on the back left and 3 3/5ths cm on the rear right
3. Did no troubleshooting as yet
4. 1999 Corolla
5. Base/ seat for the spring is welded to the shock, so replacing the entire assembly might be the way. Rubber is good, spring is firmly in place and there is a 1.5cm circle spot of oil, so it is leaking

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » June 11th, 2021, 10:17 am

1Original4Me wrote:
okay
(4) What vehicle is it?
(5) Replacement has two options, foreign used where you buy and replace the entire thing or new Shock and your Mechanic/Technician will disassemble and replace. But first you need to know what is the cause of your issue. Shock Mount Rubber? Spring sagging? Shock Absorber leaking? Get your car checked.[/quote]

(Still very new to this site, so formatting might be odd)

1. Noted
2. 7cm on the back left and 3 3/5ths cm on the rear right
3. Did no troubleshooting as yet
4. 1999 Corolla
5. Base/ seat for the spring is welded to the shock, so replacing the entire assembly might be the way. Rubber is good, spring is firmly in place and there is a 1.5cm circle spot of oil, so it is leaking[/quote]

Nice, Okay so the spring will have to be clamped with spring clamps and the top of the shock can be removed and the spring would come off. Oil leaking means the seal is compromised therefore replace with a new pair of shocks (recommended to be changed in pairs) or one if you can't afford the pair at the moment. Let a Mechanic / Technician change that for you as the spring is under a lot of tension and can seriously injure you or anyone close by if not done properly .

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”