Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:10 am

Need some advice.
My tank says its half. I went to put gas in the station. It take 16$ and clicking. I went to the mechanic to check the guage in the cluster. They say it good and refuel it back to see if any probs. I went and it only take 30$ with clicking to say its full. I forced to put the gas manually. The fuel indicator says it took more than 3/4. I went back by the mechanic and he check it and says its not venting properly when I fill up. He recommends to insert the nozzle not all the way in the car and see if its still clicking again. If it is..come back. When I reach back home in the garage I notice I am smelling gas fumes overtime. Not sure if that related. But I double check to see if the gas cap is closed properly. Next week I will fill it when it reaches half. Any help will be appreciated.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Dizzy28 » April 30th, 2021, 8:12 am

Obeah!!

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » April 30th, 2021, 8:13 am

Go to a different mechanic.

Is your garage closed? I would air it out thoroughly.

Put the car in neutral and push it onto the road.

You really do not want fumes to be building up in a closed area.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:17 am

Ok

Supra GT-FOUR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Supra GT-FOUR » April 30th, 2021, 8:29 am

Sensor in the tank seems to be faulty.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » April 30th, 2021, 8:34 am

The gas nozzle is independent of any sensors on the car.
Supra GT-FOUR wrote:Sensor in the tank seems to be faulty.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 30th, 2021, 8:37 am

Get the filler neck / tubing inspected...

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 30th, 2021, 8:40 am

OP just pull out the nozzle a little from the tank. if its too deep it will trigger the pump to cut off... happened to me as well.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:47 am

Gladiator wrote:OP just pull out the nozzle a little from the tank. if its too deep it will trigger the pump to cut off... happened to me as well.
Ok will do that. But what I read online...ent it does supposed to be all the way in for the click procedure to work properly to ensure its full?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 30th, 2021, 8:48 am

OP please don’t light a match and look inside your gas tank. But the gas station pump should be independent of your car if it’s clicking early

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:50 am

Kenjo wrote:OP please don’t light a match and look inside your gas tank. But the gas station pump should be independent of your car if it’s clicking early
Lol ok cool

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 30th, 2021, 8:52 am

Sometimes even when not fully inside the fill tube the pump clicks off with some pumps. When barely inside it may not but may also overfill and spill outside so always watch when filling.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 9:04 am

Dave wrote:Sometimes even when not fully inside the fill tube the pump clicks off with some pumps. When barely inside it may not but may also overfill and spill outside so always watch when filling.
Ok...cool.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » April 30th, 2021, 9:10 am

Use other gas station

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 9:29 am

Cantmis wrote:Use other gas station
Interesting ..cause i use a different pump this time.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » April 30th, 2021, 9:38 am

Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 10:43 am

eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
Cool

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

I would say to use a different station. Not all the nozzels working. One time i went unipet curepe. Used my credit card (for cash back bonus) and filled my tank. The nozzle never clicked when it filled and it was still guzzling out premium when i took it out from the car. I had to flip down the lever on the pump itself to stop it. So it mightnt be your car. It might be the station having faulty nozzles

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 11:18 am

elec2020 wrote:I would say to use a different station. Not all the nozzels working. One time i went unipet curepe. Used my credit card (for cash back bonus) and filled my tank. The nozzle never clicked when it filled and it was still guzzling out premium when i took it out from the car. I had to flip down the lever on the pump itself to stop it. So it mightnt be your car. It might be the station having faulty nozzles
Oh

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 30th, 2021, 11:26 am

If it still happening with a different station and pump, change your gas cap, if it still happening after that, check your evap canister.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm

redakkmooz58 wrote:dis did happn 2 me ah time buy $80 and d pump was only clikkcin off n i get d asstitant to pump it. d gage read 3quatter full tank.
nexxt day d car buclkin like racehorse on d hiway n den it shut dong. ah friten bad eh taught it was goin 2 blow up. muh kanic say d tank empty. ah did pay for $80 air. use a next gyas station. forkinn teef n dem,
Running a car on no fuel has a risk of damaging the fuel pump and is expensive to replace.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » April 30th, 2021, 12:20 pm

I experience this at some stations what i have noticed it is when I set the fill up lever in place or have it pressed it all the way down ... what I do when going to this gas station is dont pull the fuel filler level all the way down maybe 3/4 it will still click when the fuel tank is full but wont do so erratically in my case.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 30th, 2021, 1:44 pm

CS3 Lancer, if the nozzle is all the way in,, the pump will click immediately and stop.
I tend to hang it back about 2-3 ridges on the pump, and it will then full and click off properly.

been some time, but think it was the same with the jeep.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 5:53 pm

wagonrunner wrote:CS3 Lancer, if the nozzle is all the way in,, the pump will click immediately and stop.
I tend to hang it back about 2-3 ridges on the pump, and it will then full and click off properly.

been some time, but think it was the same with the jeep.
Noted

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 30th, 2021, 9:37 pm

eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
This.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 1st, 2021, 7:28 am

This X2.

It may also help to fill slowly. The pump handle on the nozzle usually has three notches on them. When you pull the handle up to start the fill, you can usually drop the small clip to hold the handle in place without you having to hold it all the while. There are three notches which will lock the handle in three different positions each with a faster flow.

Try locking on the notch which corresponds to the slowest fill rate or simply hold the handle yourself to fill slower. A slower fill rate should match the slower vent rate and the air would vent more efficiently.
adnj wrote:
This.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 2nd, 2021, 2:06 am

Some fuel filler necks have devices/restrictions to prevent siphoning, which can splash fuel back onto the base fuel filler nozzle when filling causing it to "click" like if it is full.
As others have said try filling slower and don't insert the nozzle all the way.
You can sometimes hear when your tank is approaching full.

Can't say if your gauge is faulty or not. Reset the trip counter if you ever get it full, and monitor your fuel consumption. You will get an idea of how much fuel is required to cover the mileage that was driven after a while

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » May 6th, 2021, 10:18 am

carluva wrote:This X2.

It may also help to fill slowly. The pump handle on the nozzle usually has three notches on them. When you pull the handle up to start the fill, you can usually drop the small clip to hold the handle in place without you having to hold it all the while. There are three notches which will lock the handle in three different positions each with a faster flow.

Try locking on the notch which corresponds to the slowest fill rate or simply hold the handle yourself to fill slower. A slower fill rate should match the slower vent rate and the air would vent more efficiently.
adnj wrote:
This.
I never knew the 3 part fill speed. I will pump slow next time.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”