Forums

Coolant hose leak

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Coolant hose leak

Postby Chris00007 » April 18th, 2021, 1:44 pm

I have a slight coolant leak in the upper radiator hose where it connects to the engine block. Nothing much, but it leaking. Around the connection very rusty and the hose tell difficult to come off to change.

Pry it off and change it or let it run jusso?

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Re: Coolant hose leak

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 18th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Change it, it will eventually get worse.

Are you using water in the radiator? Is this a Y12?

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » April 18th, 2021, 1:56 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:Change it, it will eventually get worse.

Are you using water in the radiator? Is this a Y12?

Yea it's a Y12. But I using coolant in the radiator.

But I checked a radiator place and the man said that if I go to change it, the gooseneck to connect the hose might break bc it so rusty. But idk if he was just lazy and didn't wanna change it

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 18th, 2021, 1:57 pm

You really want to chance driving around knowing that the hose could give out at any time? You could chance overheating and ruining your engine. It's a hose - go get it fixed.

I had to change my entire radiator because the connection was too rusted. Look at what it could possibly cost you later on rather than the upfront cost right now.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » April 18th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Soul Collector wrote:You really want to chance driving around knowing that the hose could give out at any time? You could chance overheating and ruining your engine. It's a hose - go get it fixed.

I had to change my entire radiator because the connection was too rusted. Look at what it could possibly cost you later on rather than the upfront cost right now.

The connection that's rusty is the one that connects to the engine block. The hose rusted on and very difficult to come off so that's why I wondering about if to take it off. Next thing that gooseneck break

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 18th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Chris00007 wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:You really want to chance driving around knowing that the hose could give out at any time? You could chance overheating and ruining your engine. It's a hose - go get it fixed.

The connection that's rusty is the one that connects to the engine block. The hose rusted on and very difficult to come off so that's why I wondering about if to take it off. Next thing that gooseneck break

Gotcha. It has to be addressed at some point though. Hopefully there's enough left after the rust is cleared to get a secure clamp. I've had my hose give out while on the highway already, so I know the position you could possibly end up in.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » April 18th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Soul Collector wrote: Gotcha. It has to be addressed at some point though. Hopefully there's enough left after the rust is cleared to get a secure clamp. I've had my hose give out while on the highway already, so I know the position you could possibly end up in.

Aite cool. I'll see to get that changed tomorrow. Any regular parts place will have that?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 18th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Chris00007 wrote:
Soul Collector wrote: Gotcha. It has to be addressed at some point though. Hopefully there's enough left after the rust is cleared to get a secure clamp. I've had my hose give out while on the highway already, so I know the position you could possibly end up in.

Aite cool. I'll see to get that changed tomorrow. Any regular parts place will have that?

Yeah man, shouldn't be any problem to find. Hope ya gt with that.

make meh care
Trinituner Peong

Postby make meh care » April 26th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Yuh ever fix yuh car bro?

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » May 16th, 2021, 10:56 am

make meh care wrote:Yuh ever fix yuh car bro?

Yea I changed the hose. Brand new one cost $40 and $30 to install.

But the main problem is that the gooseneck connector rusted real bad. It sanded down and cleaned up and then I put in the new hose. But I still getting a slight leak after some city driving. Not really anything notable on highway driving.

I guess there's probably a lil pinhole leak in the connector itself. I'll just spray it and wipe out the rust from it every once in a while to keep it clean.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 16th, 2021, 11:24 am

If the metal or plastic has a pin hold you can clean it up and use epoxy as a fix.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » May 31st, 2021, 11:03 pm

yep, JBWELD and a file. real bess

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”