Postby dry » January 20th, 2006, 10:42 am

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » April 5th, 2006, 12:51 am

what does the A/R ratio good for? :|

cdx2k1
Riding on 17's

Postby cdx2k1 » April 5th, 2006, 8:28 am

I'm guessing a measure of turbine size and response.A bigger A/R means more power but that power comes in later in contrast to a smaller A/R where the power would come earlier and having less power...*if i'm correct*

Sinister_Audio
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sinister_Audio » April 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

which part of this diagram will determine how fast a turbine spools?
will it be the size of the "A" & "R" only? or would it actually be the size of the turbine?
and another ques...
do more blades on a turbine necessarily mean more boost? or faster boost?
thnx

dry
Admin

Postby dry » April 24th, 2006, 12:23 pm

No idea on how the number of blades would affect spool or boost. I don't think it's as much of a factor as the design of the blades themselves, in terms of angle and size.

I'd guess that more blades would mean LESS air coming in, since more space is being taken up by the blades and there's less chance for the air to follow the path in between the blades. The intended rotational speed would be a big factor in determining the size and number of blades.

A/R is a ratio. The bigger A for a given R (higher A/R ratio) means that a greater volume of gas flows through the cross sectional area, but at a lower velocity, hence the slower spool.

A smaller A would mean more exhaust velocity and quicker spool, but it also becomes a restriction for high volumes of exhaust (upper rpm).

thats my take on it anyway.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » July 4th, 2006, 1:35 pm

is this written on the turbo, or yu have to measure it yourself :?:

so wat is the gas comoin out the comp called........... :?:

cdx2k1
Riding on 17's

Postby cdx2k1 » July 4th, 2006, 2:21 pm

^^'Gas' doesnt come out of the compressor>it comes out of the turbine.Compressed air comes out of the compressor.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » July 4th, 2006, 2:29 pm

ok so wats it called....booooooooooost :mrgreen: , no seriously.......

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » November 13th, 2006, 3:16 am

lol it is really called boost

sham1984
Street 2NR

Postby sham1984 » December 22nd, 2006, 10:13 pm

if u wanna get technical... air is in gas form and it does come out of the turbine outlet and compressor outlet aswell. so gas would be correct. usually in reference to compressors air out of the compressor is refered to as 'discharge'
'boost' is a reference to an increase in air pressure

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » April 13th, 2007, 3:45 pm

dry wrote:A/R is a ratio. The bigger A for a given R (higher A/R ratio) means that a greater volume of gas flows through the cross sectional area, but at a lower velocity, hence the slower spool.

A smaller A would mean more exhaust velocity and quicker spool, but it also becomes a restriction for high volumes of exhaust (upper rpm).

thats my take on it anyway.

An excellent take if I may say so. And just to add, the volume of gas that dry was talking about is usually expressed in CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute.

Very nice thread....need more like this please!

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 16th, 2007, 6:17 am

droppa wrote:is this written on the turbo, or yu have to measure it yourself :?:
so wat is the gas comoin out the comp called........... :?:

Most of the better turbos have them stamped on the turbo housing.

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » January 13th, 2008, 1:07 pm

dry please post the image that was there up again. I don't know how much substance it may have lent to this thread because until now I've never seen this thread :oops: .

_spool_
Riding on 13's

Re:

Postby _spool_ » August 24th, 2010, 3:35 pm

This is going to double as my introduction post if I may, I found this thread searching google and would like to chime in.

dry wrote:No idea on how the number of blades would affect spool or boost. I don't think it's as much of a factor as the design of the blades themselves, in terms of angle and size.

The number of blades will not improve spool times, The trim of the turbine does however...

The trim of a turbine is measured as the inducer diameter squared over the exducer diameter squared divided by 100. It looks like this...

This example uses an Inducer diameter of 53.1mm, and an exducer diameter of 71mm.

How trim effects performance is pretty simple, the higher the trim the higher the flow of air. Please do not mistake this for "higher A/R ratio = more power" becuase it is just another small detail in the grand scheme of forced induction. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a great read up that I also used as a source for this post, check it out!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... ch101.html
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... ch102.html
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... ch103.html

Thanks,
Alex

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: A/R Ratio

Postby X2 » January 26th, 2012, 10:31 pm

This most obvious affect of more blades would be weight and inertia. Not enough fins and it may take longer to get the turbo spinning quickly. Too many blades and the increase in surface area versus added weight of the material might hamper performance. Too big of an inducer would kill spool times if it can get spinning fast enough...so I would assume in larger turbos, on top of trim, more blades may be the answer to keeping inlet velocity high.

Good info in this thread :)

kaushalsingh
Riding on 13's

Postby kaushalsingh » December 5th, 2012, 3:18 pm

A/R Ratio Shows the relationship between unpaid sales and the total sales revenue. It is considered high if it is near to 1.0, because that means a significant amount of cash is tied up with the slow paying customers. Formula: Total accounts receivable (outstanding in an accounting period) ÷ sales revenue (in the same period_)

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » December 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm

kaushalsingh wrote:A/R Ratio Shows the relationship between unpaid sales and the total sales revenue. It is considered high if it is near to 1.0, because that means a significant amount of cash is tied up with the slow paying customers. Formula: Total accounts receivable (outstanding in an accounting period) ÷ sales revenue (in the same period_)

You trying to refer to A/R to sales ratio ? The thread name is A/R Ratio.... it's not the same... never has been... never will be.

This wouldn't even be funny if everyone reading was taking a course on basic business accounting.

Oh... and on top of that... the info is plagiarized...

All aboard the fail-boat.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » December 5th, 2012, 6:18 pm

X2 wrote:
kaushalsingh wrote:A/R Ratio Shows the relationship between unpaid sales and the total sales revenue. It is considered high if it is near to 1.0, because that means a significant amount of cash is tied up with the slow paying customers. Formula: Total accounts receivable (outstanding in an accounting period) ÷ sales revenue (in the same period_)

You trying to refer to A/R to sales ratio ? The thread name is A/R Ratio.... it's not the same... never has been... never will be.

This wouldn't even be funny if everyone reading was taking a course on basic business accounting.

Oh... and on top of that... the info is plagiarized...

All aboard the fail-boat.

Image There it is.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”