Forums

SR20DET (PNM12) into B14

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ddog
3NE 2NR for life

SR20DET (PNM12) into B14

Postby ddog » December 22nd, 2019, 3:52 pm

I have a SR20DET from a liberty (PNM12) which I am looking to install into my B14. I wanted to mate this to a small spline LSD gearbox but currently encountering issues with the axles and the rear gearbox bracket.

Gearbox in question:

I am having issues with the right side axle which is a 2 piece, middle axle in the shot below:

The axle to the top is for a GA16LSD manual trans and the axle at the bottom is for a GA16LSD auto trans.

First problem is that I am missing the balls from the ball and cage setup on the inner cup of the SR 2 piece axle and the second problem is that the half shaft does not bolt on to the PNM12 SR20.

I test fitted the half shaft on a regular SR20 head block (primera I think) I had and the holes line up so it can be bolted to that engine without issues. Unfortunately I was not able to upload the picture of the bolting on the primera block but here is the bolting on the PNM12 SR20 block which you can see is different from the bolting of the center shaft in the axle picture before:

I noticed that the GA16 LSD axle looks like the same length of the SR 2 piece and the inner cup does go into the SR gear box however the seal surface of the GA16LSD is bigger that of the half shaft causing it to bounce on the gearbox seal preventing it from going all the way into the gearbox:

I did refer to viewtopic.php?f=21&t=210885 and saw that there is a one piece axle option to doing this. Is that one piece a regular SR axle or a specific LSD axle and where can I get one?

Worst case scenario is that I can use the Manual GA16LSD axle but would require milling down the seal surface on the inner axle cup to fit into the gearbox axle seal properly and also cutting a new grove for the axle clip to properly lock into the gearbox but I would much rather go the route of getting the appropriate axle if possible.

The second problem I have is that the rear gearbox bracket I got was not the correct one. The gearbox came out of a hyundai conversion and they modified the hyundai bracket to work. I was hoping that the GA16 rear bracket would be the same but judging from a comparison between the bolt holes on the SR and GA box it does not seem likely:

SR:

GA:

I have not actually tested the GA16 bracket on the SR box as it is still in the car. Can the GA rear bracket work or is the SR one completely different?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”