Forums

the disc pad thread

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Re: the disc pad thread

Postby CD4Accord » April 8th, 2011, 4:34 pm

DJ Q, why should I be looking up prices for your particular application? Do that yourself nah lazy man...
I made my suggestion which is significantly less expensive than yours, and then you want me do the work?

Running foreign used tyres is madness, and I don't know what dunlop you talking about, but no Dunlop on the local market in trinidad (that I have seen) can come CLOSE to being useful with ANY big brake kit...

Man, just do some research..

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » April 9th, 2011, 8:00 am

no Dunlop on the local market in trinidad (that I have seen)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm curious, you're a "safety freak" right?

You're speaking of $2800US brake kits yet you currently run FU tyres?

Correct. If the OP is looking to improve on his braking performance.....no braking kit can help if the tyres being used to grip the road, are near dead or have lack lustre traction.

Make sure you have a good set of tyres (whatever fits your flavour)....and work from there.

And lol @ logic - brembos can't help against idiot driving.
Overkill FTL.

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » April 10th, 2011, 12:48 pm

so i found i was getting a weird vibration when braking, took down the calipers and checked the pins this morning: they needed greasing :?

but the biggest shock came from the HPS pads i'm using, the damn dust coated EVERYTHING!!! it's all a stink nasty red-brown, even the pads' shims started rusting from it's own dust!!! :shock:

definitely not gonna use those ever again! will look into some Project Mu's for next change...

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 10th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I'm actually looking at maybe using some stoptech street performance for my next change.. I have no complaints about the HPS' performance but I agree that the red-brown dust is pretty annoying..

I guess I like variety so I can share the results whenever I need another change.. I just put on some new HPS' a few months ago and I expect to get maybe a yr and a half out of them..

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » April 11th, 2011, 5:34 am

EVA Unit-01 wrote:so i found i was getting a weird vibration when braking, took down the calipers and checked the pins this morning: they needed greasing :?

but the biggest shock came from the HPS pads i'm using, the damn dust coated EVERYTHING!!! it's all a stink nasty red-brown, even the pads' shims started rusting from it's own dust!!! :shock:

definitely not gonna use those ever again! will look into some Project Mu's for next change...

If its red & rusting my best bet will be the pads contain ferrous iron.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » April 11th, 2011, 9:37 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:I'm curious, you're a "safety freak" right?

You're speaking of $2800US brake kits yet you currently run FU tyres?

You are considering Dunlops in combination with said kit?

Do you understand the function tyres play in your safety and braking distance?

I'm running foreign used tyres because at the point in time I did not have the money to purchase the tyres that I wanted and I rather have some grip than none at all. It was not my first choice, but I needed my car to be mobile.

And also, no I didn't clearly understand the relationship between tyres and brakes until it was mentioned. It makes complete sense and is something to look into.

DJ Q, why should I be looking up prices for your particular application? Do that yourself nah lazy man...
I made my suggestion which is significantly less expensive than yours, and then you want me do the work?

Running foreign used tyres is madness, and I don't know what dunlop you talking about, but no Dunlop on the local market in trinidad (that I have seen) can come CLOSE to being useful with ANY big brake kit...

Man, just do some research..

I don't understand why you'd think that I'm trying to palm off some work on you. I asked you if you knew the average prices of these things... how does that warrant you calling me lazy? To my limited knowledge, I thought Dunlops were very good.

And FYI am I not doing research by consulting the professionals?

I'm learning alot here and I'd appreciate if you calm down a bit. :)

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » April 11th, 2011, 9:56 am

CD4Accord wrote:Just remember, NONE of the OEM brands make pads for themselves...

If you can find out what company makes the pad, then you can potentially save yourself at least 50% of pads..eg. OEM on my cd4 accord was Nissin, OEM on some nissans is Akebono,
OEM on my Volvo is ATE/Jurid etc...

indeed....mine is made by Hitachi.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 11th, 2011, 11:52 am

DJ Q wrote:
I'm running foreign used tyres because at the point in time I did not have the money to purchase the tyres that I wanted and I rather have some grip than none at all. It was not my first choice, but I needed my car to be mobile.

And also, no I didn't clearly understand the relationship between tyres and brakes until it was mentioned. It makes complete sense and is something to look into.

Understood. There was a time when i was younger, all we could afford were FU tyres too.

Start with the basics and then move up. My braking distance was cut almost in half when i switched from my worn Sumitomo HTR200 to the Toyo Vimode i now run.

Seriously, upgrade the tyres and pads and you'll see a world of difference.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » April 11th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

Understood. There was a time when i was younger, all we could afford were FU tyres too.

Start with the basics and then move up. My braking distance was cut almost in half when i switched from my worn Sumitomo HTR200 to the Toyo Vimode i now run.

Seriously, upgrade the tyres and pads and you'll see a world of difference.

Where do I find better pads for my car?
What tyres do you recommend and do you know the price?

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 11th, 2011, 4:30 pm

DJ Q, What I mean to say is, I can't give you a price estimate for your car, which is a rather uncommon application, especially in Trinidad.
10 Minutes on the internet and you would be able to price it out yourself..

Next, if you want to learn about tyres go on the tyres thread.. Its extensive and will well you everything you need to know.. Which brings me to the next point... You planning on winning the lotto or something? Right now you can't afford new tyres but you looking at spending $3000US on big brake kits?

Its good that your reading and learning, but amp up the pace... Run some searches online for the parts I mentioned... For your brake pads look at some of the brands we mentioned then go online and see if you can find them for your car...

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 11th, 2011, 4:32 pm

To vega, I just bought a set of akebono proact ceramics for the cefiro.. Its supposedly the OEM pad that nissan uses but these akebono are made in the US. I actually was going to go with wagner thermoquiet to save some $$ but I couldnt get it in ceramic and I'm not putting organic pads on that car, I spent the extra and got the akebono..
That said, $42 US an axle for akebono is not bad at all compared to the kind of prices I see good pads going for at home..

I also just picked up a set of the stoptech street performance for front of the accord for $45 after discount..

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » April 12th, 2011, 6:51 pm

I also just picked up a set of the stoptech street performance for front of the accord for $45 after discount..

that is full of win...

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » April 13th, 2011, 4:54 pm

CD4Accord wrote:To vega, I just bought a set of akebono proact ceramics for the cefiro.. Its supposedly the OEM pad that nissan uses but these akebono are made in the US. I actually was going to go with wagner thermoquiet to save some $$ but I couldnt get it in ceramic and I'm not putting organic pads on that car, I spent the extra and got the akebono..
That said, $42 US an axle for akebono is not bad at all compared to the kind of prices I see good pads going for at home..

after taxes etc that would work out to be around $400 per axle....not bad considering the front is like over $1k for the set.....a lil 2-300 saved could work once the pad is comparable with the oem!

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 13th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Taxes what? Its suitcase alone brotherman.. I dont pay taxes on ANY of my carparts.. My ability to bring things in suitcases legendary... Brembo sport rotors, pads, filters, APEXi WS2 catback, DC sports 4-2-1 header, intake.
EVERYTHING comes in my suitcase..

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » April 14th, 2011, 5:59 pm

^^^LMAO! alyuh men brave, yes... but then again, i didn't get any trouble bringing a pair of wipers (24" and 18") from Canada :?

DJ Q, if you're into researching then read the ENTIRE thread! there's also one on tyres in TECH STUFF... look into them, they have prices and stores listed for the most part... it ain't fun repeating the same thing for 100 pages...

Chemical wrote:If its red & rusting my best bet will be the pads contain ferrous iron.

living up to your name, i see... :lol: i believe they're semi-metallic

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » April 14th, 2011, 6:42 pm

CD4Accord wrote:Taxes what? Its suitcase alone brotherman.. I dont pay taxes on ANY of my carparts.. My ability to bring things in suitcases legendary... Brembo sport rotors, pads, filters, APEXi WS2 catback, DC sports 4-2-1 header, intake.
EVERYTHING comes in my suitcase..

:shock: how?, lol

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 15th, 2011, 1:43 am

It not that hard.... A suitcase is not a small thing, and all large parts come in multiple parts so just make it to fit.. And well, between 2 checked and 2 carryon I can fit some real special things yes...

That said, the mid-pipe section of the cat-back came in my hand wrapped up in brown paper.. That is the one thing I couldnt fit in the suitcase. The barrel alone for the APEXi took up half a suitcase tho hahaha..

Anyway, just helped a padna with a b14 in the states buy pads, eventually went with Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic for about $25 US after rebate.. If only prices was so in Trinidad yes

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » April 15th, 2011, 2:47 pm

cant beat those stoptech street performance pads yo.

nubbiecar
Ricer

Postby nubbiecar » May 2nd, 2011, 10:14 pm

hi guys..may need sum advice..if your break fluids are being consumed in the reservoir for the brake fluid..what does it mean?Cuz i heard someone telling me it cud be the brakes pad wearing.To also consider the pads are being installed since last year.

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » May 3rd, 2011, 1:08 am

^its leaking somewhere.
Check the break lines

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » May 3rd, 2011, 4:35 am

nubbiecar, what do you mean by consuming? is it going down slowly? when brake pads wear, the fluid fills the spaces as the pad gets closer to the rotor, so you'll see a decrease in the reservoir. after a year on the pads, there should be some decrease not consumption. if it's gone down a lot, then you may have a leak...

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » May 3rd, 2011, 5:30 am

i changed pad and the fluid moved from the min mark, back up to full with no topping up. Accounted for by piston displacement.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » May 5th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Switched to Centric Posiquiets and Wagner Quickstop shoes (yes yes, i still have shoes).

Best combo i have used so far. The Centrics give 1.5 times the stopping power of my previous Akebonos at half the price. If anything, they seem to hold better as they get hotter.

Have not been in a fade inducing situation yet so cant comment on that.

As for the shoes, Wagner has been the best i've used (strange saying Wagner is the best I've used). Never been able to get anything other than chinese brands locally.
Don't know how to explain , but, there is now a sense of the back doing part of the work as opposed to the front taking 95% as it felt before. Less nose dip on hard braking i suppose.

Can't comment on the longevity of the Centrics but at $22US, I'd be happy with even a year.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 5th, 2011, 2:54 pm

^Good to see yet another who has good things to say about the Posiquiets. There are longer lasting brake pads out there I'm sure...but then again, given the price....it isn't that big of a deal.

brandon005
3NE 2NR for life

Postby brandon005 » July 6th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Just for inquiry purposes I heard Akebono also manufactures Toyota's pad's. Can anyone verify this? Thanks

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 7th, 2011, 12:14 am

I can't verify that akebono manufactures toyota, but if you can get the akebono BUY IT! I put it on a J31 (200JK) cefiro and the pads are equal to the OEM.. It most likely IS the OEM pad, but cost me about $40 US per axle after discount...

EXCELLENT PAD..

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » July 8th, 2011, 3:14 am

^^^see if you could get a part number for that akebono for the J31 for me plz....

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 8th, 2011, 5:58 am

Haha, now you go look to ask me just as soon as I gone and get rid of my bill and boxes?

It was actually a struggle for me to figure out the part numbers because I had to do a lot of cross referencing of numbers from wagner pads available in trinidad to the parts available in the US..

I can confirm 100% that ACT905 is the correct pad for the rear axle.. (same as a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5)
Concerning the front, there are 2 or 3 different wagner pads available in trinidad and none were direct matches to the car mentioned above.. Eventually I went out on a limb and took the ACT815..
I took the pads back to T+T and took it to my favourite parts places to compare against the wagner pads available.. As far as I can tell, the size was exactly the same except the akebono had the wear indicator "arms" attached to the pad, the cheap wagner quickstop didnt..
My mechanic also confirmed that the ACT815 is the correct pad before fitment..

Where you planning to source from? I doubt it can be had locally, but importing or suitcasing it down is always an attractive option..

AKEBONO = THE BEST OEM STYLE (long life ceramic) REPLACEMENT PAD OUT THERE... I will stand by that..

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » July 11th, 2011, 12:03 am

^^^the pads would be identical to that of the A33 cefiro....

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 11th, 2011, 1:20 am

Are they? I always assumed the A33 was a different pad (we used to have one)..
As far as I know the A33 had 2 piston calipers up front so I assumed it would be a different pad to the J31..

I'm just stating what I bought and what works for me.. If you are concerned about it, you can go to stores locally and ask for the wagner pads for the vehicle... Then search the wagner model number on websites like www.rockauto.com and it will cross reference you to the akebono..

That is how I figured out the rear pads.. Concerning the front, I went out on a limb but I think i made the right call

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”