Forums

Question On Engine Building

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Question On Engine Building

Postby vct17inch » August 21st, 2018, 10:37 pm

Okay so I'd like to know where in Trinidad can one get the rotating assembly of an engine balanced? Assuming there's a place in Trinidad that does such.

To give some context. Someone has installed some forged pistons in a six cylinder engine, replacing the stock pistons. These forged pistons are stronger but also significantly lighter than the stock pistons. Therefore theory would suggest that the weight reduced by switching to forged pistons would then have to be removed on the crankshaft counter weights or there would be significant vibration leading to the early death of the engine. Which company in Trinidad has the capacity for this?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Question On Engine Building

Postby skylinechild » August 22nd, 2018, 8:21 am

vct17inch wrote:Okay so I'd like to know where in Trinidad can one get the rotating assembly of an engine balanced? Assuming there's a place in Trinidad that does such.

To give some context. Someone has installed some forged pistons in a six cylinder engine, replacing the stock pistons. These forged pistons are stronger but also significantly lighter than the stock pistons. Therefore theory would suggest that the weight reduced by switching to forged pistons would then have to be removed on the crankshaft counter weights or there would be significant vibration leading to the early death of the engine. Which company in Trinidad has the capacity for this?

any quality engine rebuild shop that specializes in engine work should also be able to do this for you.
if you not finding what you need here i'd recommend sending it away to have it done.

balancing an engine starts at the pistons and rings..and rods... and pins...
they are first weighed individually and separated accordingly..

so say for instance its a 6 cylinder engine - you may need about 3 or 4 sets of pistons - (6X4=24 pistons) and same goes for rings - AND for connecting rods...and pins..... in order to get a set that weights almost identical to one another in box . (pristine box weight)

once this weighing is completed the small discrepancy between individual parts weight can be resolved by simply running it off a sand belt quickly to remove very minute amounts from the edges and cleaned and re weighed.

this is done for ALL parts.

the extra sets of parts thats not used can be sold off...( imagine buying a set of new brian crower stuff..just to weigh it ... and get a set thats close to one another and sell off the extras....)

or you can keep the extra parts in case you blow up ur engine... :mrgreen:

so once completed you move onto the crankshaft.
the crank is balanced with the flywheel bolted onto one end as well as the harmonic balancer on the other.
dummy weights are bolted to the crank to simulate piston weight

(piston weight is weight of piston assembled- piston rings rods pins)

the machine is spun up and it essentially tells you if its balanced or needs balancing. think of the machine as a highly expensive and accurate wheel balancer with a built in moveable drill...

to balance it properly you drill holes to remove weight.

if you drill too much you'll simply plug the drilled holes with metal slugs..

heres a vid with eric the car guy doin it..... i highly recommend u watch it... then you'll know why its expensive

goin this route ensure you have a smooth running engine that will last you years... if you dont spin a bearing or put too much boost on it and blow it up. ( typical trini engine deaths)

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » August 22nd, 2018, 10:44 am

Long time was zigs machine shop

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Postby vct17inch » August 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm

skylinechild wrote:
vct17inch wrote:Okay so I'd like to know where in Trinidad can one get the rotating assembly of an engine balanced? Assuming there's a place in Trinidad that does such.

any quality engine rebuild shop that specializes in engine work should also be able to do this for you.
if you not finding what you need here i'd recommend sending it away to have it done.

balancing an engine starts at the pistons and rings..and rods... and pins...
they are first weighed individually and separated accordingly..

so say for instance its a 6 cylinder engine - you may need about 3 or 4 sets of pistons - (6X4=24 pistons) and same goes for rings - AND for connecting rods...and pins..... in order to get a set that weights almost identical to one another in box . (pristine box weight)

once this weighing is completed the small discrepancy between individual parts weight can be resolved by simply running it off a sand belt quickly to remove very minute amounts from the edges and cleaned and re weighed.

this is done for ALL parts.

the extra sets of parts thats not used can be sold off...( imagine buying a set of new brian crower stuff..just to weigh it ... and get a set thats close to one another and sell off the extras....)

or you can keep the extra parts in case you blow up ur engine... :mrgreen:

so once completed you move onto the crankshaft.
the crank is balanced with the flywheel bolted onto one end as well as the harmonic balancer on the other.
dummy weights are bolted to the crank to simulate piston weight

(piston weight is weight of piston assembled- piston rings rods pins)

the machine is spun up and it essentially tells you if its balanced or needs balancing. think of the machine as a highly expensive and accurate wheel balancer with a built in moveable drill...

to balance it properly you drill holes to remove weight.

if you drill too much you'll simply plug the drilled holes with metal slugs..

heres a vid with eric the car guy doin it..... i highly recommend u watch it... then you'll know why its expensive

goin this route ensure you have a smooth running engine that will last you years... if you dont spin a bearing or put too much boost on it and blow it up. ( typical trini engine deaths)

I appreciate the info. It is a complex undertaking and I'd love to find a local company which could handle this

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » August 22nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

vct17inch wrote:I appreciate the info. It is a complex undertaking and I'd love to find a local company which could handle this

that the prob bruh....if you watched the video you'll see its specialized equipment thats needed... the actual machine that does the spinning and drilling of the holes.

the scale...precision scale

the belt sander ( any good belt sander will do.)

and of course experience.

dont get me wrong there are alot of mechs out there who can slap pistons in a block and get u up and running for a regular daily driver.

but when you try to apply boost and really put the engine thru its paces... the infamous spun bearing / destroyed internals is the norm.

in Trinidad an expert isnt someone who specializes in that particular field....in Trinidad a expert is someone who knows slightly more than you. and for that knowledge is what they;ll hav you paying thru the nose for it.
and when something goes wrong they no where to be found.

so if you not finding someone who can do what you want or you found someone who can do it but not comfortable with them doing it.
then send it abroad and hav it done.

its a major component of a car youre dealing with... not a brake pad. get it done right the first time and done
the 2 or 3 times fixing the same thing cant work here... unless your pockets deep an can pay to do it 2 an 3 times

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”