Forums

SEAFOAM

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

SEAFOAM

Postby AllTrac » December 13th, 2004, 12:10 pm

its a engine and gas additive anyone knows where its sold locally?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 13th, 2004, 1:54 pm

guess not

W2J
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby W2J » December 13th, 2004, 6:34 pm

Tucker Has. I think this is used more in Diesel and for Marine application

dry
Admin

Postby dry » December 13th, 2004, 7:24 pm

CA19 was asking about it too.. i wouldn't mind getting a couple tins to play with.

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » December 13th, 2004, 11:00 pm

W2J wrote:Tucker Has. I think this is used more in Diesel and for Marine application

Which Tucker are you are referring to?

Rx
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Rx » December 13th, 2004, 11:25 pm

Never heard of it............. :?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 14th, 2004, 12:11 am

fellas i have been doing alot of research on this product and all i can say is that its AMAZING! nuttin but good results, i woul dbe your ginuea pig and i'll try it on the corolla, and let you all know, W2J which tucker, i'm very interested in it let me know where and i'll buy a couple cans, and report back here with the results

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » December 14th, 2004, 2:44 am

good stuff, and cheap too. I pay $4.95/ bottle at Advance auto parts. It is really just naptha with some light oil mixed in though. SO any lab could mix up some for you.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 14th, 2004, 2:56 am

It is really just naptha with some light oil mixed in though

so we could try something with them moth balls ?????

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 14th, 2004, 3:08 am

its petroleum, Inshan if i cant get it here, how about i send you the $$ and you send me a couple o cans?

Notorious Scullman
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Notorious Scullman » December 14th, 2004, 10:54 am

AllTrac wrote:its petroleum, Inshan if i cant get it here, how about i send you the $$ and you send me a couple o cans?

Be careful, you may have problems shipping that kinda stuff. You may need to source a MSDS sheet if it appears to be flammable.

Lookin forward to hearing about this stuff Trac.

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » December 14th, 2004, 1:04 pm

i opsted a bunch of info on it..

AllTrac if you find any holla..

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 14th, 2004, 4:15 pm

jim yuh could get de seafoam product up dey?

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » December 14th, 2004, 4:17 pm

I will look around 8)
but I might experience some difficulties as I supposed to be coming home tonight!

flatline
3NE 2NR Spannerator

Postby flatline » December 14th, 2004, 4:59 pm

^Ole Talk then? lol
Called Tucker/ IAL, and they said no

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » December 14th, 2004, 5:01 pm

Holy crap, google rules.

ok so here is wat i found out:

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
Consumer Information

Solving Engine Problems Easily and Inexpensively!

See SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT technical information

Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT

When your vehicle has a rough idle, hesitates, stalls, pings or has an after run problem – this is often due to carbon buildup.

Your service technician can offer a reasonably priced fuel systems cleaning with the use of SEA FOAM products to solve these carbon problems.

When your vehicle’s fuel injectors need cleaning – this is often due to residue left on injectors from poor burning fuels and contaminants.

Your service technician can offer an inline fuel injection cleaning with the use of an injector cleaning machine and SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT. SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT is also added to the fuel to disperse moisture, clean fuel lines and injectors while driving.

When moisture needs to be removed from fuels or an anti gel or de-icer is needed – these conditions are due to condensation in the fuel tank and extreme cold weather creating gas line freeze or diesel fuel gelling.

Your service technician can recommend the use of SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in the fuel tanks to dry moisture and cure these problems.

When there is moisture detected in the oil – this problem is due mostly to poor ventilation and condensation. Sometimes, however, there is a bad head gasket, cracked head or block that must be replaced.

Your service technician will diagnose the problem and recommend the repairs. As part of the diagnostics, a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can be used in the oil crankcase to cure the moisture problems. A SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can also be used in the oil crankcase after repairs to make sure moisture is eliminated.

When valve lifter noise is apparent or piston rings seem to be sticking – this is often due to dirty and gummed up oil passages, varnished lifters and buildup of gum, varnish and carbon in the piston ring areas.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT that will clean sticky lifters and free sticky rings. By doing this treatment you will be able to determine if there is a varnish problem or a mechanical problem.

To help pass emissions tests – high emission numbers are usually caused by extreme carbon build up, dirty emission control items such as: pcv valve, egr valve, oxygen sensors or bad spark plugs and wires.

Your service technician can provide a pre-emission test service that includes SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT as a cleaning agent to help pass emissions tests.

When fuel stabilization and engine fogging is needed – fuels of today become stale in less than thirty days. Therefore, stabilization and engine fogging are needed when vehicles, lawnmowers, snow blowers, outboard motors, chainsaws, motorcycles, gas in cans and engines are put into storage.

Your service technician can provide fuel stabilization and engine fogging services with SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT.

I can see that a lot of tuners would find this product very useful

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » December 14th, 2004, 5:06 pm

Also found this:

http://nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=86360

Usually it has made an immediate drivability improvment in the cars we've 'seafomed'

If I get a chance Trac I will look around for a bottle or 2

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » December 14th, 2004, 5:11 pm

i just finished watching one of the new Best Motoring DVD's (Club Vtech) and the guy from SPOON said to NEVER under any circumstances use engine flushes, they pick up metal shavings and get into bearing journal spaces and clearences and can cause engine knock and cylinder wear causing blow by in sever cases... this is because the flushes are petrolieum based and thinner than the oil and get between the bearings and rod/crank/main journals clearences, and take tiny metal filing and shaving caused by engine wear into the clearences,, this can cause rod knock and damage to the crank journals etc... also that they leave spots on the bearing un lubricated and can cause a spin when trying to crank the motor over after without priming the lubricating system with an external pump...

i dunno if he is talking more about built motors that may have metal filings and shaving in the oil system after many many km's, but i thinkn facotry stock motors would have had all those filing flushed out by oil chanegs in the past.. but i dunno, he was answering a question about daily driven street use wuth occasional track use...

well SPOON build honda engines that spin to 16,000rpm so i think he knows what he is talking about... but he did mention that he never uses them and preaches against them, and reccomends chanign your tranny oil everytime you change the motor oil, as the tranny oil jsut sits there, and the motor oil actually get presurised, filtered and cooled, where the tranny oil jsut sits there and boils...

that was a very interesting dvd, from a tech side.. and all Honda tuners should pick it up, especially K20A owners...

anyway, i think i'll stay awya from the seafoam for now... sorry if i strayed off topic a bit but i thought the info was insightfull...

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 14th, 2004, 6:16 pm

but CA19, its not an engine flush

Notorious Scullman
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Notorious Scullman » December 14th, 2004, 6:35 pm

There are different ones Trac. There's the Deep Clean spray/engine fogger, theres also the flush, shown above in Jim's pic and I believe there's one more.

Cost is around $10-$11 US per can of each

flatline
3NE 2NR Spannerator

Postby flatline » December 14th, 2004, 6:38 pm

it seems to be both an engine flush and additive...

Jimbo wrote:
Your service technician can offer an inline fuel injection cleaning with the use of an injector cleaning machine and SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT. SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT is also added to the fuel to disperse moisture, clean fuel lines and injectors while driving.

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » December 14th, 2004, 9:14 pm

I would not use it as an engine flush. I only use it through an intake vacuum source, for cleaning carbon out of the intake and off the valves. It is not a wonder cure for a sick engine though.

I can get the Seafoam here in Orlando for about $5 a bottle. Minime can bring you back some Trac, ask her.

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 15th, 2004, 12:19 am

thats how i'm going to use it, i'll unplug a vacuum hose fromt he throttle body and use half there and ther rest in the gas tank

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » December 15th, 2004, 10:01 am

AllTrac, Are you serious about using an additive as a flush?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 15th, 2004, 12:54 pm

no, its not a flush, it does not make your oil thin. Compression test where done before and after it was used, nothing was affected. Oil was changed 200miles after it was used then the engine was compression tested and did a leak down test, and the engine was more healthy. Those test and reviews where done independantly by members of the MR2 forums and the results where posted in the product review section, it was does by 50 members, some even dynoed before and after, it has more of a effect on a higher mileage engine. No negative feedback since. SOme say after useing the seafoam after 200 miles they left the oil to drain over night, next morning when they took off the oil filter it was as heavy like if it still had oil in it, when they cut open the filter it was filled with carbon deposits the the seafoam removed. I will try this on the corolla as the motor has high mileage, i would also try it on the mr2, i dont expect a big differace on the mr2 since it has anly about 60k miles on it, and i changed oil twice by the second month i owned it and i plan to change oil every 3 months in the mr2, but i expect great results fromt he corolla.

flatline
3NE 2NR Spannerator

Postby flatline » December 15th, 2004, 1:09 pm

I read that when you inject it directly into the injected into the injectors, it thins the oil and u need to rev hard for a few mins, creating a big smoke show that is the carbon deposits being burnt off, and you should change oil afterwards

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 15th, 2004, 1:37 pm

^^^^changing of oil I would think is always a good idea after doing anything like this!........

mini me AWD
Sweet on this forum

Postby mini me AWD » December 17th, 2004, 5:15 pm

yuh getttin d seafoam in trini?...or should i go get some?

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » December 17th, 2004, 7:28 pm

hmmmm, i thinking about using a can in my 1jz and another in the future ess arrr!

whas the price of them?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » December 17th, 2004, 9:19 pm

mini me d import chic wrote:yuh getttin d seafoam in trini?...or should i go get some?

cin can you please look arround for it for me i need 2, the engine treament, and gas treatment, they are seperate but the bottles look the same, just look for the name on it and see with one is the engine treatment and gas treatment i would repay ASAP, remember its in liquid form so it has to be poured out NOT the spray type. No luck finding it here, if you cant then its ok, i'll ship it in.

Thanks

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”