TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Know something about T&T Gasoline (Choosing the Right Gas)

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

GA15DE-T
Street 2NR

Know something about T&T Gasoline (Choosing the Right Gas)

Postby GA15DE-T » July 29th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Having read all the garbage with regards to the use of unleaded super 92 octane gasoline in the modern day fuel injected Engines I feel compelled to enlighten folks about the use of unleaded super and unleaded premium Gas.

When leaded gas was the normal gas in Trinidad, refineries would boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades of gas by adding lead to increase the octane level.

When leaded gas was banned, refineries could not boost the 85 octane ratings of cheaper grades of gas by adding lead to increase the octane level.

The type of gasoline to use is one of the most misunderstood areas of vehicle ownership.

The first rule of thumb is that unleaded premium 95 octane gasoline is not necessarily better for your vehicle.

A modern day car engine runs on the octane rating of the gasoline sold not on the name unleaded super or unleaded premium.

Unleaded super in Trinidad is rated at 92 octane and unleaded premium is rated at 95 octane.

Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel it is only a measure of the fuel’s tendency to burn rather than explode.

Most Trinidadians buy unleaded premium 95 octane gasoline for their car because they grew up with the myth and hearsay in the days of leaded gas that using a higher octane level gas will improve its performance, burn cleaner, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.

The recommended gasoline for 95 percent of cars worldwide is unleaded super 91- 92 octane.

Ninety percent of all cars, trucks, maxi taxis, and pick-ups on Trinidad’s roads can use unleaded super 92 octane Gas without any problem.

In fact, in most cases, using a higher 95 octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit.

Unleaded premium 95 octane gas does not “burn cleaner” than unleaded super Gas octane 92.

Unleaded premium 95 octane gasoline does not outperform unleaded super 92 octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car’s engine. You do not have to remove the catalytic converter using unleaded super 92 octane gas.

Unleaded premium 95 octane Gas gives quicker starting. No, it doesn’t. I thought gasoline with a higher octane reduced engine knock. It did in older engines using lead gas and carburettors to regulate air/gas mix.

They cannot as accurately regulate the air/fuel mix going into the engine as today’s computerised control fuel injector system. Carburettors need adjustment, as a part of regular maintenance, to keep the air/fuel mix as accurate as possible.

So many times these adjustments are not made regularly causing too much fuel to be mixed with the air. When this happens the gasoline would not burn completely soaking into carbon deposits.

This would cause a premature ignition of the gasoline due to the intense heat in the engine cylinder creating “engine knock”.

Modem engines are designed to use fuel injectors with computers to accurately control the air/fuel mix under all types of temperature and environment concerns. High octane gasoline has been refined more – it is just a better product.

Additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not necessarily make the gasoline a “better” product for all engines.

They just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly and also increase the price.

The accuracy of the fuel injectors and computers is based on using the recommended gasoline for that engine.

Generally, new auto mobiles need high 95 octane gasoline only if the manufacturer recommends it.

However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need unleaded premium 95 octane gasoline.

In fact, the US Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

They do not necessarily need unleaded premium 95 octane gasoline with a detergent additive. Some engines are designed with high-octane fuel requirements.

Forced induction turbo-charged and super-charged engines have higher cylinder pressures so they require higher-octane gas.

I do not claim to be an expert in these matters, but I am only presenting an overview of what I have discovered in my work in the car industry with the different auto manufacturers both in Europe and the US.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Know something about T&T Gasoline (Choosing the Right Ga

Postby ~Vēġó~ » July 30th, 2011, 1:37 am

somewhere I read that the higher octane fuel can actually increase engine temperatures thereby contributing to increased engine wear....

my motor's minimum RON requirement is 91 so it gets super right through......why waste money on premium...

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » July 30th, 2011, 7:40 am

As we're on the topic of fuel, has anyone done a comparison of NP vs Unipet (double filter)?
Is Unipet using a marketing gimmick?

GA15DE-T
Street 2NR

Postby GA15DE-T » July 30th, 2011, 10:37 am

Np VS Unipet

What is double Filtration?

Traditional pumps have one filter system to filter micro fine particles. Unipet has added an additional filter to its gas station pumps to further remove unwanted particles and moisture ensuring a cleaner fuel.

20% Less particulates
35% Less moisture

A cleaner fuel will mean you get:

*Better gas milage
*Better performance
*Less servicing
*Longer engine life

Benifits of double filtering?

If micro fine particles and moisture get into your car fuel system you may experience rough idling, loss of power and increased fuel consumption.

So in my opinion and knowledge the double filtering is better than the regular gas stations. So you know what to do next time your going to fill up..

:D

Infamous
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Infamous » August 2nd, 2011, 2:21 pm

Well my owner's manual recommends a RON requirement of 94 so I guess is premium IMMC... :cry:

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » August 3rd, 2011, 9:55 am

converse2010 wrote:Np VS Unipet

Traditional pumps have one filter system to filter micro fine particles. Unipet has added an additional filter to its gas station pumps to further remove unwanted particles and moisture ensuring a cleaner fuel.

20% Less particulates
35% Less moisture

*Better gas milage
*Better performance
*Less servicing
*Longer engine life

If micro fine particles and moisture get into your car fuel system you may experience rough idling, loss of power and increased fuel consumption.

So in my opinion and knowledge the double filtering is better than the regular gas stations. So you know what to do next time your going to fill up..

I eh out to harass yuh soul eh, but where dem percentage figures come from?
by chance yuh working Unipet?

GA15DE-T
Street 2NR

Postby GA15DE-T » August 4th, 2011, 1:41 pm

lmao I got a brochure when I was filling up at the gas station :/ and I took my time to read it and I guess it was worth reading. :D

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » August 4th, 2011, 1:54 pm

I should get around to trying that double-filtered gasoline soon

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » August 4th, 2011, 1:57 pm

all hondas are designed for 91 rons.....when u collect the vehicle from the dealership, its super you get.

jonathanpolo509
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jonathanpolo509 » August 4th, 2011, 3:26 pm

I dont full up at np anymore is unipet ftmfw

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » August 4th, 2011, 3:37 pm

converse2010 wrote:Np VS Unipet

20% Less particulates
35% Less moisture

*Better gas milage
*Better performance
*Less servicing
*Longer engine life

in my experience tho
filling up @ medford which is unipet vs filling up @ np by the airport the gas at medford gives me much much less mileage per tank

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » August 4th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:all hondas are designed for 91 rons.....when u collect the vehicle from the dealership, its super you get.

Is that true for the ROROs EK4/9, DC5, CL7 and FD2/FN2 with their versions of B and K series motors?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » August 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm

^ spoke to the head mechanic at Honda south and he told me this. I'm guessing he means all the models they sell and i should have specified in my earlier post.
If you recall, 92ron unleaded is what we had all the time and only a few years ago the got "premium 95 ron" gasoline.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » August 4th, 2011, 4:37 pm

if we look at the specs on the DC5 it calls for 100rons and 101rons on diff sites

http://www.sjskyline.com/spec_dc5.asp
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/honda_i ... _late.html

I have been running 92rons super unleaded in my civic and 2011 accord. On the inside of my gas lid has 91ron unleaded gasoline written

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » August 4th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Also, when a gas station is flooded out, do the tanks get contaminated or are they sealed? The Unipet Station in Laventille gets its share of brown water with every heavy shower.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » August 5th, 2011, 6:47 am

if you did not know
all over the world it is the same gasoline it is the additives that make the gas "branded"
shell/texaco/qt/sunoco
in the southern us all the gas comes from the same refinery in louisiana

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » August 5th, 2011, 9:16 am

Oh that's what this thread is about? We gonna beat out the topic of different octane ratings for different engines AGAIN?

Lemme know ASAP because we have threads in here and ole talk from at least 3 years back. There's already a unipet double-filtered thread as well, so lemme know if anyone has anything new to bring to the table like say super vs. premium or unipet vs. np dyno figures, trap speeds, km/L, data logs showing knock...quantitative data.

Because all this theory and supposin' gets real old, real fast.

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » August 5th, 2011, 11:34 am

:roll:

GA15DE-T
Street 2NR

Postby GA15DE-T » August 5th, 2011, 12:34 pm

sorry mr hook, I didnt know there were other treads see my join date :/

And about the additives, I've seen somewhere I think was Amsoil octane booster, I believe it said adds 7 ocatane points to your gasoline or something so. So correct me if i'm talking non sense but if you put super 92 and use an octane booster or additive +7 , you're going to get 99 ? Advice on this but I know I saw this the last time I went to the parts shop and was waiting for a part I took a read of this on one of the bottle of octane booster.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 5th, 2011, 2:18 pm

nope.
7 points mean you'll allegedly get 92.7, not 99

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 31st, 2011, 7:04 am

anyone has any idea if a ford focus ghia (euro spec) can take super ?

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 31st, 2011, 11:50 am

my car (08 impreza) has RON 95 on the gas tank lid......yet everyone says it can run super.......suggestions?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 31st, 2011, 12:08 pm

bushwakka wrote:my car (08 impreza) has RON 95 on the gas tank lid......yet everyone says it can run super.......suggestions?

Pallie, if the manufacturer say 95RON, why take other people's advice?

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 31st, 2011, 9:09 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
bushwakka wrote:my car (08 impreza) has RON 95 on the gas tank lid......yet everyone says it can run super.......suggestions?

Pallie, if the manufacturer say 95RON, why take other people's advice?

my thoughts exactly....but the OP pull some figure out of thin air there

converse2010 wrote:The recommended gasoline for 95 percent of cars worldwide is unleaded super 91- 92 octane.

Ninety percent of all cars, trucks, maxi taxis, and pick-ups on Trinidad’s roads can use unleaded super 92 octane Gas without any problem.

i not so sure that if i did a survey on the recommended octane ratings for new cars bought in trinidad that this wud turn out to be true...so i dunno what he suggestin really :-?

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » November 7th, 2011, 1:40 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:nope.
7 points mean you'll allegedly get 92.7, not 99

Correct.

So correct me if i'm talking non sense but if you put super 92 and use an octane booster or additive +7 , you're going to get 99 ?

No. An besides the small volume of octane booster you buy is what works against you. If that small volume has at 110 RON (even if you were that lucky), versus a full tank of 95 RON....the sheer math works against you.

In one of the other gasoline threads, this example was given (I didn't generate this):

Lets just say you have 95% premium gas (95 RON) in your gas tank, and you add 5% 110 octane (i.e. a small bottle of octane booster).

Then by averages:

(0.95 x 95) + (0.05 x 110) = 95.75 RON.

Due to "blending rules" you'd actually get more like 95.25 RON as your final value. An amazing boost of less than 0.75 octane :lol: :lol: :lol: Go buy some paint thinners or something.

That sucks. :lol:

So since reading that, I don't bother with boosters.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Know something about T&T Gasoline (Choosing the Right Gas)

Postby redmanjp » June 21st, 2022, 3:35 pm

bumping thread for newer vehicles, including hybrids

are most newer cars requiring premium or can it handle both?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Know something about T&T Gasoline (Choosing the Right Gas)

Postby Dave » June 21st, 2022, 4:35 pm

Always follow your manufacturer's or engine builders recommendations.

All else would be based on modifying the existing systems to accept other octane rated fuels.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”