Forums

Best Tuner in Trinidad...

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dirty Face
punchin NOS

Postby Dirty Face » May 6th, 2004, 9:20 pm

Ahh Well her...^(^#@))!

Ok I was going to say something but decided to keep my mouth shut... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ramafingers1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ramafingers1 » May 6th, 2004, 9:56 pm

996vtwin i think you got me wrong? when i said More Boost , More Drugs
i was not refering to your buisness------------- when i said DRUGS i ment NOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i realy dont understand what went on :? :? otherwise ahh sorry :( :( :( :(
Ramafinga dont pretend that you stetements were harmless, you said " More Boost , More Drugs". What does my business have to do with racing Yancy on a Sunday afternoon. YOur language was insultive to me and facts were also incorrect. Funny I missed this post as I would have responded earier. I have no tolerance for people like you , make yourself an example or dont choose people you do not know

996vtwin
In Memory of George Aboud Jr.

Postby 996vtwin » May 6th, 2004, 10:37 pm

Well I apologise also for being hasty....I took it the wrong way seeing as I am in the Pharmaceutical business. Anyway I never did use Nitrous in those days. NO harm done and we will bury the hatchet there.

Peace

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » May 7th, 2004, 1:28 am

ok ok nice to see all yuh fellars cool now 8) 8) 8)

n e how some good info. in this thread guys..thanks.

ramafingers1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ramafingers1 » May 7th, 2004, 8:30 am

Yeah man , no problem! i guess i should of put Nos in brackets when i made the statement. anyway as you put it ------------------------------ PEACE :D :D

ZORT
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ZORT » May 7th, 2004, 9:04 am

This whole thing was taken way out of context. I believe post has been answered however.

zort

blu-rolla
Sweet on this forum
Location: either in sando, or sneakin out yuh back door as you reach home.

Postby blu-rolla » May 7th, 2004, 10:02 am

yuh mean nobody runnin? ah doh have to bring any 'condom-mints' for de shorts? :(

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » May 10th, 2004, 9:45 am

I interested....

X2Board
2NRholic

Postby X2Board » May 10th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Hook wrote:
I could see REAL fellas here know dey scene under de hood and REAL fellas here know de scene under de car...I would love to see dem get 2gether and make a masterpiece to burn up d track...

[b]Project Suprolla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

imperial
3NE 2NR for life

Postby imperial » September 13th, 2005, 2:12 am

First of all I think that this country has a number of top up tuners and its really amazing to see what they can do with normal grocery getters. Whether it be V6-8-(10???), to boosted, to N2O, the tuners here are experts in EVERYTHING that is out to enhance performance, and if something new come out tomorrow, giv them a lil time and somebody WILL crack it.
Well so far I've heard a number of people. Tola, Prentice, Hakim, Yancy, some might even say the chinee man from in the back of coffee street in Sando (RC Tuning)... But I'm going to put a name up there.
Bryan Fortune.
Why?
Well he is a BOSS in conversions and he cleans up the CRAP that the other fly by nights do (burn down harness/ecu, engines not positioned properly etc). I've seen some of the tuners mentioned here asking his advice on various aspects. He may not be a contender for the best in trinidad according to the posts, but trust me, all the cars that he deals with WUKKIN!
Plus... he bring out a RX8 before MAZDA!!!
So my vote... Bryan Fortune.(AKA the man who SHOT the SHERIFF!!!)

Yeo
TunerGod

Postby Yeo » September 13th, 2005, 6:38 am

Now dat NickJr. back in Trini, mih car sufferin....In NY, the "mechanics" rather just change parts vs repair anything. Right now I ketchin mih nennen to find a mechanic.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » September 13th, 2005, 9:17 am

^so they eh have NO good mechanic here then? :?:

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th
Location: on the side of the road maptracing and reflashing the ecu

Postby R. Mutt » September 13th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Kirk Pouchet (sp?) (who recently moved his shop from from mucurapo Road to up the Hill there by the foreshore flyover) does great work imo.

He is usually busy but you often found a number of nice cars being tuned up there. He's worked on a number of VR4 galants, GTI Golf's, frankenstein B20 EG Civics, Lancers--->4G93 swaps, the white and blue B14 with Pulsar DET...yes 4WD: that use to run consistant 13's. Hell you use to even see Rawle up there for work/advice on the Rex.

Real cool fella. He works hard and the results show. However he often doesn't get recognized for it. You could say tis man lives in his shop...family owned, mom deals with the parts inventory, Kirk in d back dealing with the cars himself, with assistance from the other guys. He has a talent for tuning cars and is SAE certified. He reminds me of alot of certain fellas on tuner....but he loves it so much that he does it for a living. Things not always smooth....but he's doing what he loves and does best.

When I had my first car which was a manual GA13 equipped B14, he would tell me different routes I could go even though we both new I couldn't afford it. But it was my car at the time and he helped out any way he could. I remember I took out the cat out at the muffler shop next door and wanted to run a CAI on the car :roll: . You know this man went with me to Trinidad hose, install the CAI, run lil bracket and thing to the front, he removed the fog light covers and smoothened out the surface with an electric sander. All this in a shitty GA13 engine. The same man that tuning evo's and what not still put the same effort into my lil piece of sh!t. And the price was always great for custom work like that cuz there was/is no aftermarket for that engine. :lol:

It's things like that that will keep me loyal. When I do eventually come back to Trinidad to work/live I'll definetly be going to him.

I never had experience with Tola or Prentice personally. However I have been in an evo tuned by Prentice (Anyone remember the infamous PBC4 from the old forum days?), and the car ran well for what mods it had. However I can't attesst to the reliability of his tuning etc. Word is, he's very good.

I think the only other person I would think to be a great tuner is the driver/owner/tuner of the B18C equipped Civic Coupe...Greg Chung. However, I don't belive his services are for sale. Sad though, I've never seen such a consistant, powerful street car that can drive to Wallers, run low 11's and drive back home. Amazing.

ImageImage

I find he looking like Jimbo in that pic.

solo
punchin NOS

Postby solo » September 13th, 2005, 2:40 pm

What qualifies someone as the 'best' tuner? Is it how many reliable race cars are under his belt? But then define 'reliable'? If I bring my car to tune and i'm not willing to follow my tuners' advice and my car breaks down on the 1320, is my tuner ommited then?
What about certification? But we all know of people who crammed and passed every exam possible with flying colors and the knowledgeable grassroots men who are not accademically inclined remain in the background because it's more stressful for them...
People, I find it unreal for people to call names of 'best' tuners without establishing a criteria by which they can be judged and obviously not knowing the full line up of tuners. There are other very good tuners apparently unknown to a lot of you folks, so truthfully, the names we are seeing are the ones that worked good for you the individual.
Dave, you should mention the name of your tuner Laro, he has proven himself to be one of the tops.

ninjaboost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ninjaboost » September 13th, 2005, 3:09 pm

what about the men who tunning the hell out of them roti engines?

I'd say for me the best tuner is the man who can get the most out of what a car currently has and is able to advise you as to other steps to be taken and he must admit when he is not capable or not confident of his ability to do a specific job.... I have met quite a few of the so called best tuners in Trinidad and I must say most of them really know their stuff especially the things with which they are most familiar... so it really depends on what exactly you wanna do with your ride....

....so IMO we have quite a few great tuners and it's amazing the kind of advice some of these guys (especially the 3NE2NRS) are willing to give at no charge... 8)
These are a few of the guys from whom I have gotten very useful info:
Dave
Trac
Solo
CA19
GSR(RIP)
Dry
Yeo..... and the list goes on and on and on..........

BTW... i think I'm a good Tuner as well..... at least for the Starlet (16sec to 14sec Daily Driver without spending a pong and a crong) :twisted:
Last edited by ninjaboost on September 13th, 2005, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » September 13th, 2005, 3:12 pm

I don't think a definition needs to be supplied.

If the tuner makes good power and reliably... he's good. Any idiot can make huge power and blow up engines every week.

solo
punchin NOS

Postby solo » September 13th, 2005, 3:30 pm

X2 wrote:If the tuner makes good power and reliably... he's good. Any idiot can make huge power and blow up engines every week.

Agreed. But I ask again, If one does not heed the advice/instructions of his tuner and his engine goes kaput on more than one occasion at wallers (or where ever else) should he be omitted from the best tuner category? Reason i'm asking is that MOST people are not privy to the conversations between a tuner and a car owner, all they see is a blown engine and all they say is "dais de mechanic fault".....

Too many good tuners got bad reps due to this......

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th

Postby R. Mutt » September 13th, 2005, 5:14 pm

Good point. I believe that no names should be excluded on that point. We cannot judge the craftsmanship of a mechanic/tuner if we can't tell if the owner is following his advice. In terms of objectivity it is only fair to retain his name. However, if 95% of the owners saying they took Tuner A's advice and they still blew their motor....then something has to be wrong. Even more so when the tuner in question has gone through car after car, with lots of wear and tear signs on the motor which show it was stressed beyond it's capabilities. For example, some tuners are willing to push their motor beyong the limits just to show they can beat car A,B....this to me...no matter how big your name is...is not what I look for in a Tuner.

katurbobeast
Trinituner Peong

Postby katurbobeast » September 13th, 2005, 5:25 pm

where is a good place to carry my ride to have a Microtech LT8 wired up?

i was going through TOLA....any recomendations?

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » September 13th, 2005, 5:36 pm

^ Dunno Katurbobeast... I still trying to decide for myself where to go...LOL

Solo....Mutt... what you say is true... but tuning a street car should be done conservatively and lots of tuners will tune close to the edge then expect the driver/owner to not push the envelope. I think that's unrealistic... it's going to happen if the possibility is there.

Of the GOOD tuners I know... few of them have a history of blowing engines (due to detonation, etc) because they take the driver's habits into consideration when tuning.... many tuned engines that blow up do so either because funds didn't permit the complete package to be installed (proper cooling, lubrication, w/e) or the tuner doesn't make the right adjustments or give the right advice.

On that note... IMO there are TUNERS and there are MECHANICS... a person good at one does not necessarily indicate they are good at the other.

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th

Postby R. Mutt » September 13th, 2005, 5:50 pm

last line....Very true. I believe you're still looking for a good N/A tuner locally. Found any yet?
Last edited by R. Mutt on September 14th, 2005, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

katurbobeast
Trinituner Peong

Postby katurbobeast » September 13th, 2005, 9:22 pm

yeaaa...i dont know who to go by..

i use to work near to tola and go and watch them working on the cars an ting...
he builds and works on all kind of cars man....
from subarus, civic, mazda, toyota....
i've seen him porting out the 'crouching tiger civic' head at like 8 in the night an sheit..getting it ready for circuit on the weekend
he's like a old mechanic monk.....
he's got age and hes been working on car probly for a verryy long time..
thats a plus....

my concern is that, the money im paying for the job..it had better be done properly the 1st time so i never have to come back with problems...
dats 1 prob with some mechanics.....

what i realize with alot of mechanics is, if u dont have the cream in your possession to let them know your serious, they dont take u serious....

.Tola told me he can get a Microtech LT8 kit w/handcontrol LCD for $7175 and then its $1000 to wire it...

he quoted me 10,000, for the Microtech Kit, Wiring the engine, EFI setup & tuning the ecu

gosh damn ...... it had better make a hell of a difference...

how would a 1.8DOHC engine with AEM move, in a 850kg car?

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th

Postby R. Mutt » September 14th, 2005, 4:14 am

Whar setup are you running? Engine, mods, chassis, ecu managment, boost etc.

solo
punchin NOS

Postby solo » September 14th, 2005, 6:48 am

katurbobeast,You should try contacting Christian Tam WRT purchasing and where to install the Microtech. He has a lot of experience with them so he can advise accordingly.

Yeo
TunerGod

Postby Yeo » September 14th, 2005, 6:53 am

R. Mutt wrote:Whar setup are you running? Engine, mods, chassis, ecu managment, boost etc.

Check how u trying to pick de man mouth nah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

katurbobeast
Trinituner Peong

Postby katurbobeast » September 14th, 2005, 10:07 am

a 1.8 dohc N/A in a laser

bigger TB, injectors, mild port, HP pump & regulator, extractors

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » September 14th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Mechanically I'd say a guy called Premo in waterloo....he could fix just about anything...now the electrical part is where it gets tricky....I'm from an electrical background so it never bothered me .....I never got my hands into grease up until 7 or eight years ago when he started to teach me a bit....now there ain't ne Sr I can't tune or fix myself....I bought a few old scrapped Sr engines and took them apart reassembled then did it numerous times...it comes naturally.....then came the Sti....was scared $hitless but no matter I bought an old version 3 engine and started there.....no one thought me a thing.....read ...read....read and read more and finally built there courage to move into the version 6...7....8....now it's second nature..can drop and change out a set of pistons in under 30 minutes.....clearly I'm not the best in the world....but if I have a problem....no one can bull$hit me about those 2 types of engines......I never ventured into a Honda or even a Mitsu engine..I'd like to though....but I owe it to my dad who has a 512 ci V8 that started it all ......so clearly I have to say the best tuner can never be someone else than what you know ....if that makes any sense......

the long and short is you are as good as a tuner as you'd like to be ......
knowledge is power and power makes money.....it's quite suprising how much a person can learn by knowing what to do first.....the key is a service manual .....get things to specs. then after that yo could be what I term an adventurous TUNER....this is what is called TUNER MAGIC.

Polydor. 8) :lol:

katurbobeast
Trinituner Peong

Postby katurbobeast » September 14th, 2005, 8:58 pm

whats the norm price, give or take......for installing and tuning an aftermarket management ecu, fuel pump and ignition.

Tola quoted me approx. no more than 10K for complete Microtech ECU w/handcontroller, installation & tuning with how many ever MAPS, MSD HP fuel pump....

its 7175 for the Microtech kit....

Spyrogyra
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Best Tuner in Trinidad...

Postby Spyrogyra » March 7th, 2022, 7:14 pm

Good times

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Re: Best Tuner in Trinidad...

Postby Rayden6 » May 30th, 2022, 9:38 pm

This thread old ppl plz update this

Advertisement