Forums

Tornado air management systems

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kai
3NE 2NR for life

Tornado air management systems

Postby kai » April 15th, 2004, 8:08 pm

Any of you using or used this device?If so how much difference does it make and is it worth the cost?

http://www.tornadoair.com/index.php

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » April 15th, 2004, 8:46 pm

the theory is good, that swirling air will increase the volume and therefore the power...in asia there's this same thing caller "Surbo". But to be honest with you in practise I am not so sure of how well it works....the older mitsu carb cars like mine and the model before and I believe in the newer models have a precleaner that is pre-cut to allow the air to swirl. I took out mine cause I found I got more power by just removing the shaft to the air cleaner housing and done. I suppose for the Fuel Injection it either was not neccessary or useful as you don't see it in the EFI models

Doctor X
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Doctor X » April 15th, 2004, 11:11 pm

hmmmmmmm i hear they going for about $800 .

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » April 15th, 2004, 11:21 pm

J-MISHI-R wrote:the theory is good, that swirling air will increase the volume and therefore the power...

This product cannot possibly increase volume... that makes no sense.

Yes, it 'swirls' the air... but that doesn't mean much... look at it this way... you are introducing a restriction into the air flow. The restriction causes a decrease in air velocity and therefore increases pressure at that point....You think that helps anything ? This product does not make power and is not worth TT$1.00

Hands down.... don't get pulled in by the hype.... it's all marketing. (look how many americans buy it... they'll buy anything.... :? )

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » April 15th, 2004, 11:55 pm

if its better for power and mileage then why dont the worlds best race cars use it?

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » April 16th, 2004, 12:06 am

like I say the theory is good...Maybe mitsu for the early cars saw something in it....maybe just for better fuel economy.I mean in the sense of water (yeah x2 i know it ent air :lol: ) if you try draining the bottle normaly and then try it swirling the water as it drains, you'll find it draining faster...I believe it to an extent but where they want to put that thing I agree makes no sense and no xtra power...

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 16th, 2004, 1:57 am

I find it's theory contradictory to the tried-n-true engine mod that increase power, namely porting and polishing...u do these things to REDUCE turbulence to increase air flow...here u have this device that swirls the air, CREATING TURBULENCE and u trying to convince me that it increases airflow too???!!!

sorry, no sale here...u want better flow? get a bigger intake

Toysport
Sweet on this forum

Postby Toysport » April 16th, 2004, 4:29 am

Just say no.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 16th, 2004, 7:18 am

how could a restriction in the intake path create power, if the local guy gave me a money back guarantee i would try it

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » April 16th, 2004, 7:42 am

my cuz in ny tested it and said it not wort the hassel he didnt get any hp improvement (dyno tested) in fact he loss a couple of hp (that must be why they say it saves gas lol) he said thats the last time me follow my car advice it cost him $150us to do the test that wort nothing :lol: . O i should mention that he placed it in tree places after the air box in the middle of the air intake hose and infront of the trottle body only infront of the trottle gave a 1hp gain but the car ran more rich than usual ...
that device is a waste of time ... :D

nash
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nash » April 16th, 2004, 9:04 am

I agree to whats being said,the concept behind it is good.I don't think,however,that this product will make that big of a difference especially if you fellas already have good intakes and filters and such.

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » April 16th, 2004, 9:51 am

hey j-mishi-r the theory behind the mitsu vetrical vortex is much different from the swirl tech that the tornado provides. mits tech is more of a fold and not a swirl to say .think of a ribbon that u placing in your hand, the way the ribbon folds is what mitsu vertical vortec is not the swirl . i did some more investigation into vertical vortex and tornado swirl . the swirl is bad for a engine i seperates the gas particals from the air, so u get a unmix burn which u dont want (lean out). the fold seperates the gas for a time (uncompress state), then mixes it in the compress state which is better cleaner better burn. so u need less gas to create the same amount of hp without the fold . Where i see the tornado swril working its best is in the exhaust .where the sucking effect that a swril produces will wrok great in the scravenging effect, needed in a exhaust system and may cause a vacume on the exhaust valve which will be ideal . what u guys think of this
Last edited by Mitsu power on April 16th, 2004, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » April 16th, 2004, 9:55 am

hmmm damn, ok Mitsu power... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, try to use some kind of punctuation. I think I can handle the spelling but honestly reading your post was quite painful.

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » April 16th, 2004, 10:04 am

sorry its just when im on a idea, i then to just write and forget about sentence construction. :oops: :lol: :D i fixed it

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » April 16th, 2004, 10:10 am

J-Mishi-R wrote:I mean in the sense of water (yeah x2 i know it ent air ) if you try draining the bottle normaly and then try it swirling the water as it drains, you'll find it draining faster...

The only reason that vortex drains the water faster is that it swirls the water around the bottle and out the neck like a tornado, which allows air to rush into the bottle thru the center point, which becomes a vacant spot... the air rushing in helps push the water out... it's not really anything like what the 'tornado' device is supposed to do.

Hook wrote:...here u have this device that swirls the air...

The device's intention is to organize the air for a smooth transition.

Mitsu Power wrote:i did some more ivestigation in to vertical vortex and tornado swril the swril is bad for a engine i seperates the gas particals from the air so u get a unmix burn which u dont want (lean out) the fold seperates the gas for a time (uncompress state) then mix it in the compress state which is better cleaner better burn so u need less gas to creat the same amount of hp without the fold

The tornado product is inserted in the intake stream, well before the fuel is injected.

And as far as the exhaust thing...that's another restriction... it shouldn't work more than making noise... like that stupid 'turbo' muffler they came up with that has a 'turbine' blade in the muffler. (makes the car sound like it's boosted....damn ricers...lol)

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 16th, 2004, 11:49 am

^^^ hahahahaha..u fuh real dread? a turbo tip? hahahahahahahaha...oh man! hahahahahahahah *cough cough*

zodiaque
CARS Member

Postby zodiaque » April 16th, 2004, 6:08 pm

yuh know, if you get some sheet metal, and some rivits, and if you have some skill you can make one, maybe even experiment with different blade angles :D , just doh get ketch by the tornado company, they might sue ya!

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » April 17th, 2004, 12:49 am

It might make some inprovements in a carburatored car, but I feel it is not worth its costs.

Auto_Style

Tornado

Postby Auto_Style » May 8th, 2004, 5:50 pm

This item does NOT work, so do not waste your money. A good K & N filter works much better.

Good luck.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » May 9th, 2004, 3:25 am

A good K & N filter works much better.

I tend to agree 8)

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”