Forums

Disposal of used engine oil

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » November 28th, 2009, 1:29 am

I know some ppl does keep it to bathe their pothound with it..... :D

seriously though my mechanic pours it into old drums...and then some company passes by him to collect it...he says that it is safely disposed of from there.

I have seen ppl also throw it in the drains to prevent mosquito hatching....

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » December 2nd, 2009, 8:21 pm

I does use it at work to lubricate 10" and 12" valves... recycle FTW!

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 2nd, 2009, 10:38 pm

discussed already but I will again suggest that you can carry your oil to a sawmill......they use the oil to lubricate their blades....

1800GSRLANCER
Sweet on this forum

Postby 1800GSRLANCER » December 2nd, 2009, 10:40 pm

^ :idea:

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » December 5th, 2009, 4:21 pm

.i collect the used the oil in a container n refill the containers that had the new oil with the old oil. ductape the covers.n leave it for the garbage trucks.i dont know wats the harm in that method but i figure its going to be buried by mounds of trash and the plastic bottle wont rot !

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 5th, 2009, 4:53 pm

killasan wrote:.i collect the used the oil in a container n refill the containers that had the new oil with the old oil. ductape the covers.n leave it for the garbage trucks.i dont know wats the harm in that method but i figure its going to be buried by mounds of trash and the plastic bottle wont rot !

But the plastic will/can crack. Smart move Einstein!

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » December 5th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
killasan wrote:.i collect the used the oil in a container n refill the containers that had the new oil with the old oil. ductape the covers.n leave it for the garbage trucks.i dont know wats the harm in that method but i figure its going to be buried by mounds of trash and the plastic bottle wont rot !

i still have plastic bottles from over 5 yrs ago from castrol-and it not cracked yet.plus it'll be buried in the garbage and become landfill ->>SURE BEATS THROWIN IT IN THE DRAIN<< Newton

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » December 5th, 2009, 5:17 pm

killasan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

i still have plastic bottles from over 5 yrs ago from castrol-and it not cracked yet.plus it'll be buried in the garbage and become landfill ->>SURE BEATS THROWIN IT IN THE DRAIN<< Newton

now pack about 3tons of dearth on top the container.
It will leak.
At that point, how would it differ from pouring it in the drain?
*not even worth a sarcastic comment*

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » December 5th, 2009, 5:25 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
killasan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

It will leak.

well tell me oh wise one what do you do with your oil? since what im doing is completely ridiculous :?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » December 5th, 2009, 5:31 pm

killasan wrote:well tell me oh wise one what do you do with your oil? since what im doing is completely ridiculous :?

instead of trying to be the loudest voice, read what was written above.
the answers are there. :roll:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » December 5th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Nigson wrote:I know some ppl does keep it to bathe their pothound with it..... :D

people STILL doin that????
ol' oil doh cure mange :?

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » December 5th, 2009, 6:34 pm

:shock: :lol:

1800GSRLANCER
Sweet on this forum

Postby 1800GSRLANCER » December 5th, 2009, 6:43 pm

so wait nuh, is this d official 'ole oil' ched?
yep and people really use that on their dog's for mange it really works tho :|

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » December 5th, 2009, 10:30 pm

seriously, you really didn't think that through.. stop doing that man! wrong and strong yes.. :?

chindian88
Sweet on this forum

Postby chindian88 » December 5th, 2009, 10:42 pm

first time i hearing bout that one!! ^^ :?
apparently this topic was discussed before but i didn't find it.

biggreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby biggreen » December 7th, 2009, 2:49 pm

so what do you guys do with the used oil filter?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » December 7th, 2009, 2:51 pm

biggreen wrote:so what do you guys do with the used oil filter?

same gas station. the folks who dispose the oil, handle that too

jjcp
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jjcp » December 7th, 2009, 6:43 pm

but the service station in st augustine doh put used oil in barrels, they does wash it down the drain, unless i went when they didnt have barrels :roll: :roll:

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

Postby angel_player » December 9th, 2009, 9:54 am

which service station in St. Augustine allyuh talking about? the Unipet one down by UWI tunnel or the NP one up by St John's Road side?

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » December 9th, 2009, 10:53 am

legendkiller@1891 wrote:dig ah hole ina remote location, empty it in the hole and bury it. :idea:

x2 :D

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » December 9th, 2009, 1:29 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
killasan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

It will leak.

christ ent!
why people so dotish?

As for those who said dig a hole in a remote location and bury it..that is brilliant if you are a mentally retarded monkey

when they container starts to leak the oil will get into the soil and water and contaminate it.

Do the proper thing please and carry it to places that will recycle or properly dispose of the oil.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » December 9th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Maserati,

Pappy...chill nah...i doubt persons actually do that - you have to know when men just fooling around.

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » December 9th, 2009, 3:10 pm

booge wrote:Maserati,

Pappy...chill nah...i doubt persons actually do that - you have to know when men just fooling around.

you'd be surprised to what people do..and think it perfectly normal :shock:

jjcp
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jjcp » December 10th, 2009, 3:23 pm

which service station in St. Augustine allyuh talking about? the Unipet one down by UWI tunnel or the NP one up by St John's Road side?

the service station opposite marios, directly opposite the road to go the st augustine comprehensive

chit8238
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Disposal of used engine oil

Postby chit8238 » June 27th, 2011, 9:56 am

I want to revive this topic because it is important and new information may have surfaced since 2007. I called NP's head office today. They said they have no collection facilities at the moment. I called EMA. After a lot of transferring around and holding, they said they have nothing in place either but referred me to Oil Mop. I called Oil Mop and asked if they have centralized collection facilities. They said they used to but stopped that. I told the girl there that I had heard that they collect used oil from some mechanics etc. She said yes that I could check around. I told her why didn't they (Oil Mop) suggest who collects in Central since they are in the business and would have this info on their database. She said they did not have this info but she remembered Chaguanas Auto. I called them, got transferred around several times (each time holding a few minutes with a blaring recorded message). The last time after about five minutes of waiting, I just hung up.

This is frustrating and sets the stage for simply caving in and pouring it down the drain. EMA, who I think should take the lead did not seem to have a clue on this problem. There are so many cars in T & T that you would think they would have a simple user-friendly method of used oil collection and ultimate eco-friendly disposal. A simple method would be to have four or five collection points throughout the two islands that could be collected once a month. I want to do the right thing but our state entities are not encouraging this type of thinking and action. Any thoughts/suggestions on the matter are appreciated. As Tuners I think we should be concerned.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » June 28th, 2011, 4:41 am

I have a few 1 gallon containers of used engine oil and a few quarts of used transmission oil just sitting home here. Not sure what to do or where to carry them.
Of course I have them so long because I do not want to pour them down the drain or throw them in the trash (have done this before). We really need those in authority to look into this matter urgently. Good thread bump.

But I'm worried that as usual Trinis love being 3rd World and "ignant".
"Plastic bottles only" - You will find regular trash in there
"No sticking of chewing gum" - They will stick it on the very sign. Who remember that one in City Gate?(Can't remember the exact wording of the sign).
"Coffee Cups Only" - Regular trash:KFC boxes,soft drink bottles,etc,etc.

Oooohhh easy one!! "No Parking" - Talk Done

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 28th, 2011, 8:25 am

chit8238,

I still carry our used oil to Rahamut's service station at Cross Crossing.
However, in light of your experience, I cannot say what happens to it next.
Could very well end up "cut" with kerosene, and used as "shock oil";

Phil_Franc
Street 2NR

Postby Phil_Franc » June 28th, 2011, 9:05 am

I am rell sure all them auto service companies and dealerships dumping all their oil in d labasse.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 28th, 2011, 10:52 am

My mechanic collects his used oil in those big blue oil/water drums.. He says once every 2 months or so a truck comes around and collects from him and he pays them a fee for it..
I asked him what happens to it after, he said that they tell him its disposed of in an environmentally friendly method but he cannot verify this... He just pays them and it then becomes their problem..

I'll ask for more details next time I see him

In the US, every oil change, mechanic or auto parts place has to accept used oil and fluids BY LAW.
Walmart also has printed on most bottles sold there "Dispose of used engine oil and fluids at your neighborhood walmart for free"

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » June 28th, 2011, 11:06 am

wagonrunner wrote:I still carry our used oil to Rahamut's service station at Cross Crossing.
However, in light of your experience, I cannot say what happens to it next.
Could very well end up "cut" with kerosene, and used as "shock oil";

Do they charge a fee for taking it?
And do they have a barrel or something designated for used oil so that anyone can go and just empty their used oil in it, or do you have to ask them permission?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”