TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Disposal of used engine oil

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Re: Disposal of used engine oil

Postby wagonrunner » June 28th, 2011, 11:21 am

dredman1 wrote:Do they charge a fee for taking it?
And do they have a barrel or something designated for used oil so that anyone can go and just empty their used oil in it, or do you have to ask them permission?

no they don't charge a fee.
i normally carry it in 4 & 5l oil containers, (refilled with the used oil after emptied during changes), and they pour it into their used oil barrels. these are same barrels used oil goes into when they change it on their lifts.
yeah, we talk to the fellas @ the service bay, sometimes they say go ahead and pour it in. sometimes they say leave it by the barrel, and they'll see about it.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » June 28th, 2011, 12:31 pm

many sawmills would gladly accept the used oil.....to lubricate their saws etc....

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 29th, 2011, 12:54 am

Rahamuts is a good gas station.. One of my personal favourites... Very helpful fellas over in the service bay.. Glad to hear they take used oil, could come in handy knowing this later on..

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 29th, 2011, 2:52 am

I have two 5 gallon buckets of old oil to get rid off.. best I make a pass by Rahamut's..

Sad to see it's so difficult to get rid of this..

chit8238
3NE 2NR for life

Postby chit8238 » June 29th, 2011, 11:08 am

wagonrunner wrote:
dredman1 wrote:Do they charge a fee for taking it?
And do they have a barrel or something designated for used oil so that anyone can go and just empty their used oil in it, or do you have to ask them permission?

no they don't charge a fee.
i normally carry it in 4 & 5l oil containers, (refilled with the used oil after emptied during changes), and they pour it into their used oil barrels. these are same barrels used oil goes into when they change it on their lifts.
yeah, we talk to the fellas @ the service bay, sometimes they say go ahead and pour it in. sometimes they say leave it by the barrel, and they'll see about it.

Wagonrunner thanks for the info on Rahamut's. I will save up four or five containers and drop them off there. Thanks guys for good info as usual!

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » July 22nd, 2011, 4:35 am

There are some mechanic garages that you would find their entire backyard black and covered with oil. Maybe, Petrotrin, Bp, EOG etc can come and drill for oil in these ppl backyards in a few yrs time. lol.. We all kno oil gettin scarce.

But seriously, the government needs to look at the term "Re-refining".

Take the case study in the link >>> http://prose.eng.ua.edu/ed/pdf_file/tguide.pdf

"Re refining" is mentioned at the end.

Its a study done in some US state concerning this very problem being discussed here; used oil disposal.

Now, we in Trinidad have all the resources necessary and the ideal conditions to not allow this to be a problem. EMA and the Governments past and present are both guilty of not implementing this. Firstly there are companies that specialize in cleaning up oil spills, disposing of oil. Oil Mop as was mentioned earlier, Kaizen and Earth to name a few. Their methods of disposal of "toxic wastes" is mostly via settling tanks/ponds and at times ends up in incineration. Further research can be done into their methods. But my point of this post is to introduce re-refining.

Trinidad/Petrotrin has its main oil collection hub at Point Fortin. (Trinmar Tank Farm).
All crude oil is received at this location. The oil is "washed"/prepared then piped to Point a Pierre Refinery to be refined.

Now in the washing process, slop is generated. This slop is basically crude oil with base sediments (solids) and water that is removed from the "good crude" via the "washing process" which is stored in tanks on their Adventure Tank Farm.

Recently, TRINMAR/Petrotrin contracted a company to "treat" this slop oil to be re-introduced into the "good crude stock" to be refined at Point a Pierre. This company removes the water and solids and basically you have oil in it raw form.

I am suggesting used automotive oils can be introduced into the re-refining process at this stage.
Thence it would be treated/refined into new oil products/fuels etc.

Now I would not know the exact chemistry involved in such a matter but this is DO-ABLE.
We have our own refinery locally, the country is small, just need to get the logistics in place to collect the used oil, even if a small fee is to be charged and we can start recycling our own used oil.

All this is, unless after feasibility studies, it proves more economically viable to ship used oil to mexico or china to be recycled.

But I just chose to mention the above as I've read these 3 pages on this topic and it wasnt mentioned. Its just to get the relevant authorities involved because they have to implement such a plan. It will not happen over night.

Btw, do you know you are charged a fee to dispose of used tires?
That cost is payed to SWMCOL. Tires are still just buried at the landfills located across the country. Untill a major use of it becomes economically viable. And trust me, lots of ppl have recycling ideas, but the governments don't want to support the small man to get the venture up and running.

But point is, some products are harder to dispose/recycle. The only way to get a recycling option viable is to charge a (hopefully small) fee so that transportion and the upstream costs of the recycling process can be offset a bit. It is just like any other business.

I know it will be a beyotch to have to pay a disposal fee after a quart of mobil 1 is like how much now?!
But you get the general idea rite?

My 0.02 Bolivar

telli
Riding on 13's

Postby telli » May 12th, 2012, 10:30 am

We want to collect large quantity of used engine oil in Trinidad and Tobago.Is there any companies or organizations will help me to collect it? Anyone knows plz contact via mail.
leebioils@gmail.com

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 13th, 2012, 8:16 pm

wagonrunner wrote:chit8238,

I still carry our used oil to Rahamut's service station at Cross Crossing.
However, in light of your experience, I cannot say what happens to it next.
Could very well end up "cut" with kerosene, and used as "shock oil";

Thanks for the info man. I changed oil on my own for the first time today and came here looking for somewhere to safely dispose of it. Will make a pass by Rahamut's soon.

chit8238
3NE 2NR for life

Postby chit8238 » March 28th, 2014, 1:13 pm

chit8238 wrote:I want to revive this topic because it is important and new information may have surfaced since 2007. I called NP's head office today. They said they have no collection facilities at the moment. I called EMA. After a lot of transferring around and holding, they said they have nothing in place either but referred me to Oil Mop. I called Oil Mop and asked if they have centralized collection facilities. They said they used to but stopped that. I told the girl there that I had heard that they collect used oil from some mechanics etc. She said yes that I could check around. I told her why didn't they (Oil Mop) suggest who collects in Central since they are in the business and would have this info on their database. She said they did not have this info but she remembered Chaguanas Auto. I called them, got transferred around several times (each time holding a few minutes with a blaring recorded message). The last time after about five minutes of waiting, I just hung up.

This is frustrating and sets the stage for simply caving in and pouring it down the drain. EMA, who I think should take the lead did not seem to have a clue on this problem. There are so many cars in T & T that you would think they would have a simple user-friendly method of used oil collection and ultimate eco-friendly disposal. A simple method would be to have four or five collection points throughout the two islands that could be collected once a month. I want to do the right thing but our state entities are not encouraging this type of thinking and action. Any thoughts/suggestions on the matter are appreciated. As Tuners I think we should be concerned.

This is an update since my last post on the topic guys.
I called EMA recently and they are still working on a solution. Though they were polite (PR) they are a complete waste of time.

Good news though, a company called Arc Innovation of Patraj Lane, El Socorro South is now collecting used oil. I called them and they said they are willing to collect 1 to 4 gallons free of charge at their place of business. Their number is 347-7386. They can visit you to collect large amounts - barrels etc. Call them to make arrangements. However I know the average tuner will just have a couple gallons at a time, so you can drop them off.

I asked the guy there, what they did with the used oil, since I was concerned with someone just dumping it indiscriminately. He said that they export it for recycling. So you don't need to worry about that, like I was. I think this is a great initiative. I personally have about five gallons stored, which I was at a loss what to do with them.

I hope this helps.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » April 6th, 2014, 12:04 pm

^^^Thanks for this. Will give them a call and see if I can drop off my 20+ qts of old oil this week.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » June 6th, 2015, 1:26 am

^ is the above place legit?
Any other information on this topic? Looking for used oil disposal places preferably south side.

Time to get rid of my 20+ gallons of used oil. Serious fire hazard.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 7th, 2015, 3:06 am

Yeah. ARC is legit. They can supply documentation to show how / where their goes

gabba
Street 2NR

Postby gabba » June 16th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Call this guy Chris 749 2919, he collects the oil, he has a van with a pump for garages like me.I store the oil in a 55 gal drum and I call him he comes and pumps it out.Dont know if he has a quota amt that he will come for or you may have to drop it off.

Call him for details.

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » August 5th, 2015, 2:33 pm

thanks gabba, got through with both Arc and Chris. So these two options work. Great info here, thanks.

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » September 8th, 2016, 11:21 am

Any updates on this?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 8th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Tried Chris several times, he's unreliable at best, at least in my experience. Talks a lot but can't make an appointment. Last time, he came a day early when my shop was closed then arguing with me that they waste time to come down. They gave me a date, then came early, yet were annoyed at me.

I currently use Aaron 7126100. He will come same day if he is relatively close by. Around $150 per barrel.

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » September 8th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Thanks good info.

Are they working with a company that does this?

Also where can I get a barrel? Preferably plastic.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 9th, 2016, 9:14 am

AFAIK they collect the oil on their own then it goes to larger collection companies.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Re: RE: Re: Disposal of used engine oil

Postby NR8 » September 11th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Tried Chris several times, he's unreliable at best, at least in my experience. Talks a lot but can't make an appointment. Last time, he came a day early when my shop was closed then arguing with me that they waste time to come down. They gave me a date, then came early, yet were annoyed at me.

I currently use Aaron 7126100. He will come same day if he is relatively close by. Around $150 per barrel.

Does he pump the oil out of the barrel or just take the barrel with him?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 11th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Pumps it into larger containers on his van.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » September 12th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Anyone knows if Arc still in operation?

curryduck09
Riding on 13's

Postby curryduck09 » November 20th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Hi all, is ARC Innovations still collecting used oil?

Thanks.

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby dude2014 » December 22nd, 2016, 10:20 pm

Here is the contact info for Piranha. There was some excitement a few weeks ago when discharge from a plant in Carli Bay River causing it to become green. Check the old talk forum - past topics They are supposed to be recycling oil etc.

Head Office
10-11 Bahadoor Street, California, Couva, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies

Phone:+1 868-223-7444
Fax:+1 868-223-7443

Email: info@piranhatt.com
Web: www.piranhatt.com

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 22nd, 2016, 10:37 pm

Know the cost associated?

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » June 24th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Auto Technica Workshop is doing waste oil disposal for the DIY oil changer.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 25th, 2018, 5:09 am

Big Z wrote:Auto Technica Workshop is doing waste oil disposal for the DIY oil changer.
Good day... What is the cost associated.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » June 25th, 2018, 6:32 am

kamakazi wrote:
Big Z wrote:Auto Technica Workshop is doing waste oil disposal for the DIY oil changer.
Good day... What is the cost associated.

From the Facebook page:

Auto Technica Workshop is proud to introduce waste oil collection for the DIY oil changer. Return your waste oil to the container that your fresh oil came in and simply drop it off at the shop. Cost is $5 per quart. Disposal of the waste oil will be done in an environmentally friendly fashion. Contact 734-7669 to drop off your waste oil.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 25th, 2018, 9:35 am

awesome initiative!

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » June 25th, 2018, 11:42 am

Need this. Have oil for years backed up.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » June 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Some not in the shot
IMG_20180625_164719.jpeg

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”