HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby syntax » December 26th, 2011, 2:31 am

BrotherHood wrote:^^^THAT!!!
>>>except, my plug and play HID kit has way better output than my oem bulbs and I have not done a retrofit and don't have any problem blinding oncoming traffic. All I have done was adjust the height of the beam to its lowest point.
I must say that at nights with moderate to heavy rainfall I don't get the expected output under those conditions.

yep i too did that but i can tell you how dangerous this is as you only see a few feet in front, to be honest may i gone down in some serious holes because i couldnt see in front too far, and talk about eye strain..

hmm i should give you a ride in my car with the projectors i have now the morimoto mini h1's when rain is falling, there is no problem in rain like with halogen and pnp hid's. i can clearly see the road very well..

what kind vehicle you have brotherhood?

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Postby syntax » December 26th, 2011, 2:53 am

DVSTT wrote:
syntax wrote:
DVSTT wrote:Hey tuners!! Have a triton and the stock lights just aren't cutting it. Wondering what would be a good, reasonable replacement: HID kit, projectors or what??? Also do i have to rewire with any of these? And whats the average price of a pair of these?

first of all your halogen headlights are not designed to accommodate hid's as you will be blinding everyone in front of you with some serious glare... i used to have a pnp kit installed only to realise that my old stock halogen bulbs had better output that the kit hid's

second the proper thing to do is to retrofit your headlights with some quality projectors like come being sold on the retrofitsource.com

you would not regret it when you do a retrofit, your headlights are quite big so it mey be possible for you to install the FX-R projectors being sold on the above website...

plan what you want to accomplish also have a budget in mind to work with....

Wait so what exactly are the projectors??? Are they just the housing for the HID's? And do they require me to rewire or anything? Do i have to buy a new headlamp or do the projectors just drop into the original headlamps? Thanks for all the help! And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! HAVE A SAFE AND PROSPEROUS ONE!!!!!!!!!

there are to diffenent types of projectors,

1 halogen projectors and
2. hid projectors.

both have different light optics so that is why in some of those aftermarket headlights with those fancy led strips and so on they tell you not to use hid bulbs and only halogen bulbs...

as for wiring the kit comes with a wiring harness which install through one of your headlamp connector, it also comes with its own relay setup.

you dont have to buy a new headlamp, but you will be modifying you stock one, this means you will have to heat it in the oven to get it open.

you can chec this link for a general idea..

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthr ... ght=aiming

it all depends on you budget, like i said go with the fx-r and you will never turn back, you will be like why i idnt do this all along, with amazing light output, and insane high beams. sometimes when i am feeling wicked i flash plp from behind and they jus pull over their car to let me pass lol

now when you install your projectors jus dont compare you new lights to lets say the new model lancer or a bmw or a merc as oem bulbs and projectors cannot be beaten.

tou can check triniretrofits to do the retrofit and for the projectors also.

good luck it will be nic to know that you did the retrofit andnot another person with a pnp kit who feels that they have the best lights in their ride...

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » December 26th, 2011, 9:55 am

OK SO WHATS THE PRICE OF THE FX-R AND WHERE CAN I GET DEM???

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Postby syntax » December 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm

contact triniretrofits

http://www.facebook.com/#!/triniretrofits

he mostly install the mini H1's

the fx-r requires a bit more modification such as ...........................

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthr ... C-HEAVY%29

but if it was me although i have the mini h1 i ould go with the fx-r soon next year i will do my own retrofit.....

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 26th, 2011, 8:56 pm

ok, thanks alot dude!!!!! Enjoy your Christmas!!!!!!

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » December 27th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Hey now seeing this, i actually have a pair of the FX-R in stock but its alot harder to install, if you want me to install the fx-r you will have to leave the Headlights. As syntax says i normally use the Morimoto mini H1 projectors, they are alot easier to install and the output is great.
The aftermarket projector headlights normally use halogen bulbs and the cutoff is a LHD cutoff not a RHD so it still blinds people, i would not recommend putting HID's in that.
The projectors i sell are HID projectors with RHD cutoffs and you can find alot of good reviews online about them.
If you want HID's the best thing to do is a retrofit, and im not just saying that because thats what i do, go online and do some research for yourself. The only problem with a retrofit is the price, because the projectors itself are more expensive than buying a pnp kit. it comes down to your budjet, if you can afford a retrofit then definately do it, you wont regret it.
If you are interested in saving some more money I can sell you everything that you need and you can do the retrofit yourself, its honestly not hard just a little time consuming. Also will help you with anything you need..

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Postby syntax » December 28th, 2011, 9:10 pm

whats the cost of the fx-r and what do you recommend for it normal 35w or 55w

alot of the retrofitters on hidplanet says 35w will show brighter that the 55w

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » December 29th, 2011, 1:22 am

syntax wrote:
>>>except, my plug and play HID kit has way better output than my oem bulbs and I have not done a retrofit and don't have any problem blinding oncoming traffic. All I have done was adjust the height of the beam to its lowest point.
I must say that at nights with moderate to heavy rainfall I don't get the expected output under those conditions.

yep i too did that but i can tell you how dangerous this is as you only see a few feet in front, to be honest may i gone down in some serious holes because i couldnt see in front too far, and talk about eye strain..

hmm i should give you a ride in my car with the projectors i have now the morimoto mini h1's when rain is falling, there is no problem in rain like with halogen and pnp hid's. i can clearly see the road very well..

CS3 Lancer 2005 bruh!

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 29th, 2011, 7:34 am

BrotherHood wrote:
syntax wrote:

CS3 Lancer 2005 bruh!

the lack of visibility in the rain depends on the colour of your hids anything over 5k is too blue to see with rain an yellow street lights

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » December 29th, 2011, 10:02 am

Syntax, i will sell the fx-r for $1100 for the pair. also have bulbs ect for it too.
as cinco said if u use any bulbs higher than 5000k it wont be very good in the rain. 4300k will be the best output thats why it comes on all factory OEM HID setups.

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » December 29th, 2011, 11:41 am

cinco wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:
syntax wrote:

CS3 Lancer 2005 bruh!

the lack of visibility in the rain depends on the colour of your hids anything over 5k is too blue to see with rain an yellow street lights

Well I have 6000K so I guess that's why.

As we on colour temperature here, is 4300K, 5000K and 6000K legal in Trinidad & Tobago or is it just 4300K and 5000K?

fras
Chronic 2NR

Postby fras » December 29th, 2011, 11:52 am

in a projector housing... u should be able to pass through road block with 4300/5000k maybe even 6000k!

the thing with reflector housing, is that the light is every where... so the police out right suspect that its hid!
i would go with 4300 in a reflector housing as it looks closer to halogen!

and some police so illiterate its a shame... i passed through a road block with 6000k in reflector housing! mind u i got stopped twice in that same road block :lol:

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » December 29th, 2011, 12:37 pm

police down here dont really know, if your headlights looking blue or blinding you then they will stop you. i have passed through alot of roadblocks with my 5000k retrofit and have not got any problems as yet. it just depends on the officer you get.

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » December 29th, 2011, 12:50 pm

So are you guys saying that one it's H.I.D it's illegal?

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » December 29th, 2011, 1:35 pm

you're safe up to 8000K... anything over will be deemed as blue and would get you in problems.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 29th, 2011, 4:04 pm

BrotherHood wrote:So are you guys saying that one it's H.I.D it's illegal?

once you meet a dotish police dem go stop you for stock headlights if you have dem ricer blue lookin ones

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Postby syntax » December 29th, 2011, 9:03 pm

so a police stopped me today, so im thinking oh boy ticket this time ah year dread

so he was like aye whey yuh get dem headlights boy them lights reall bad, sell meh it nah

i laughed in his face yes well not in his face but in my mind, i told him its not for sale and i drove off lol

dont say if you have projected lights you will not get charge in trini if dem police and dem only see d projector colour shift is charge for you, however for them to see this shift they will have to be lower that the projector and higher if the case be.............

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » December 30th, 2011, 12:20 am

cinco wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:So are you guys saying that one it's H.I.D it's illegal?

once you meet a dotish police dem go stop you for stock headlights if you have dem ricer blue lookin ones

From 10,000K and up is when the colour is an outstanding and ridiculous blue. Then turns to purple. That IMO, is stupidty. Instant ticket.

So as equipped2ripp said up to 8000K and your safe. I agree with it. Can anyone else share similar sentiments of agreement?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 30th, 2011, 10:28 am

cant agree with that
above 5k is useless lighting anyway you cant see shite with that when there are also street lights

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » December 30th, 2011, 10:38 am

5k ftw. 6k max

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » December 31st, 2011, 3:04 am

I have a 6000K. Tonight the right side bulb did not light which is the bulb away from the battery in my car.. The left side lights fine. Did not check to see what was wrong as it was in the night and did not have time so I drove with my park and fog lights.

Will check it out in the morning but any idea of what could have caused that to happen?

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » December 31st, 2011, 3:07 am

:? :? .

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » January 1st, 2012, 4:24 am

Checked it out today. Seems that the bulb blew. Can't see why though. I had another bulb so I just replaced it.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » January 2nd, 2012, 10:27 am

Are projectors legal?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » January 2nd, 2012, 9:24 pm

cut off less than 10ft away 5000k hids

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » January 3rd, 2012, 10:17 pm

^^^^Looks nice. Nice and clean cut off lines too.

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » January 4th, 2012, 10:06 am

cinco is that a retrofit? if so what projectors are you using?

This is a pic of my old car with Fx-R projectors installed. caris about 15ft from the wall

have plenty other pics of cutoffs with different projectors if youll are interested to see.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » January 4th, 2012, 11:14 am

morimoto H1's in bj protege headlights

Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR

Postby Trini Retrofits » January 5th, 2012, 5:32 pm

kool lookin good, you did the retrofit yourself? where you bought the parts from The Retrofit Source?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » January 5th, 2012, 8:09 pm

thanks
yup and yup
bought in their thanksgiving sale

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”