Forums

Car Polishing 101

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Car Polishing 101

Postby Karim Khan » August 1st, 2011, 11:41 pm

Hey man i really saw strange number when i checked my phone this afternoon, when i saw the missed call it was too late to call back.

Anyway the Ultra Deep Shine does sometimes leave a whitish residue. But next time use these pointers .

1. Leave the polish on the car for about 30-45 mins, this will give the polish enough time to dry. If you remove the polish before it dry it will normally leave the whitish residue.

2. Only polish in a dry section of your garage. if the ground is wet or the rain is falling the moisture tends to prevent the polish from drying properly

3. Use a new microfiber cloth when removing the polish and turn it on the clean side often.

Try these pointers and let me know if it work. if not let me know !

TECH N FIZ wrote:
Karim Khan wrote:Tech,,,,, Is it the Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine that leaves the whitish finish? If not can you take a pic and send it to me :karimkhansautoperfection@gmail.com or better yet give me a call and we can make some arrangements for me to see it and i can guide you from there.
Karim Khan - 784-9290

yup is the ultra deep shine, but even with the prestone after it drys to a haze & i buff it out it still leaves a residue. i tried calling you dis evening because i was frustrated. Don't think it will show in a pic but i'll see.

thanks for the reply. 8-)

TECH N FIZ

Postby TECH N FIZ » August 3rd, 2011, 9:54 am

Thanks, i took into considerTION points 1 & 2, & it worked like a charm.

Thanks again bro for your time. when i get time to do the entire car will post some pics.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 3rd, 2011, 11:27 am

Tech I am glad to hear that you are happy now. Make sure and post some pics so we all can enjoy.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » August 5th, 2011, 11:41 am

Karim, any thoughts on Optimum's new OptiCoat 2.0? I'm an ONR user myself...albeit, not a huge fan of it.

For folks who don't know....it's a PERMANENT paint coating. it doesn't wash off or anything. the ONLY way to remove it after it cures, is by significant polishing. Also, on the Mohs hardness scale, it exceeds the hardness of basic clears?

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 10th, 2011, 11:00 am

Alpha_2nr wrote:Karim, any thoughts on Optimum's new OptiCoat 2.0? I'm an ONR user myself...albeit, not a huge fan of it.

For folks who don't know....it's a PERMANENT paint coating. it doesn't wash off or anything. the ONLY way to remove it after it cures, is by significant polishing. Also, on the Mohs hardness scale, it exceeds the hardness of basic clears?

Hey Alpha, I know of the Optimums OptiCoat 2.0 it has gotten some really good reviews and its a great paint sealant. I am a bit hesitant on trying it for my personal vehicle. the reason for this is that even though its a really good paint sealant its not 100% scratch resistant.

Since i have a black vehicle my main concern is the swirls marks. As you know swirls marks on a black vehicle is inevitable.

Since i love to polish my vehicle very often. the Opticoat will be useless for me as constant polishing will remove the coating.

On the other hand the Opti Coat well be beneficial for people who dont maintain their vehicle very often.

This product is very similar to the new nano coating that are on the market. I was speaking with the President of Farecla last week and and indicated to me that the nano coatings are really cool. The products provide exceptional paint protection similar to that of Opticoat. Meguiars offer something similar but only for the Malaysia here is a pic
Attachments
meg2.jpg

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 15th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Hey guys what did you do this weekend?

This is was one of the vehicles i worked on.

The vehicle came straight out the showroom and into my hands. Customer wanted a paint protection. So i used something they guys in the Aerospace industry use..( i keeping this product a little secret)

let me know what you think guys !!!

E250 1.jpg

E250 2.jpg

E250 3.jpg

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » August 16th, 2011, 9:45 am

is it the film?? or a polish type material?

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 16th, 2011, 9:55 am

Its a polish type material ... something close to "Teflon"

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 23rd, 2011, 10:04 am

Ok guys i got my new toy and i cant wait to try it out!!!

This is one of the best dual action polisher money can buy;

Here is a little write up:

The orbital rotation of the FLEX XC 3401 Polisher simulates the circular movement of the human hand while polishing. This motion is less likely to cause holograms than a rotary buffer. At the same time, the polisher's highly smooth running facilitates a careful, precise finish and allows for hologram-free polishing.

Flawless polishing is just what the FLEX XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher was made to do. The positive drive ensures a uniform movement, even under load, thanks to constant lift. Taken in conjunction with the large stroke length the FLEX can remove existing holograms from black finishes.

The large stroke length refers to the size of the orbit. On many dual action polishers, this is a very small distance and therefore you feel a jiggling motion. On the FLEX polisher, the stroke length is 8 mm, a huge distance in terms of orbital polishers!

The FLEX Dual-Action Polisher has a true dual action motion. The pad moves in a forced rotation that keeps moving even when you put some pressure on the machine. This forced circular motion REDUCES VIBRATION. No more jiggling! The FLEX Polisher operates smoothly because of the controlled motion of the pad.

Thanks to the direct orbital drive, very little heat develops on the surface, which is ideally suited to temperature-sensitive finishes (i.e., “soft” clear coats). The FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher makes it almost impossible to burn the paint! The accelerator trigger switch and speed selection allow for a controlled acceleration to the optimal speed. The FLEX Orbital Polisher’s smooth acceleration and uniform, controlled motion make this DA machine ideal .

The FLEX Orbital Polisher is rugged like a work truck but it has sophisticated electronics, like a luxury sedan. A seven-fold microprocessor offers constant speed control by tachometer generator, soft start, accelerator trigger switch, restart protection after power interruption, overload protection, temperature monitoring, and speed selection.

The FLEX Orbital Polisher is an outstanding professional grade dual action polisher. It is comfortable to use, well-made, and it works harder than a typical dual action polisher without putting your paint at risk of holograms. Most importantly, the FLEX Orbital Polisher eliminates swirls, scratches, and other paint flaws to leave the paint looking flawless.

Mercedes Benz use the the Flex XC 3401 VRG on their assembly line to achieve that glossy finish on all there motor cars.

I cant wait for this weekend !!!
Attachments
flex 2.jpg
flex 2.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 17189 times
flex 3.jpg
flex 3.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 17189 times
Flex.jpg
Flex.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 17189 times
flex1.jpg
flex1.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 17189 times
flex-black.jpg
flex-black.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 17189 times

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 3rd, 2011, 9:50 pm

Guys i used the flex today and i must say this machine is awesome!!!

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 10th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Chemical wrote:Ok, so after spending probably a few hundred hrs reading on auto detailing etc I think in theory I fully understand the process & keeping the vehicle looking @ its peak condition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq6t8w-v ... re=related

(someone embed this for me pls)..thx

This presoak / car foam wash is what i'm trying to get. After all the research done this will eliminate swirl marks etc. Its purpose is to lift dirt, grime etc off the body of the car & trap it into the foam. Same principle as the latest car washes in Canada / States which is touchless.

(1) I'm thinking when using my p/washer to heat the water to a pretty high temperature & wash engine, wheel wells, wheels & body to loosen the dirt etc.

(2) Then apply pre-soak on car & simple green on engine & wheel wells. Let sit for approx 20 min for engine & 5 min for pre-soak, then rinse off with garden hose / p/washer.

(3) Once step 2 is finished, using running water, use a MF cloth & re-wash car.

(4) Finally drying will prob yield best results via high velocity blower after using the Hi-Tech Flexi Water Blade (made of surgical silicone) I tried the blower (high output) on the car & was amazed. It was borrowed !

WRT MF cloths, never wring it, squeeze it to remove water.

The p/washer I have is a Karcher 1600 psi so there is the bottle adapter to fit for the foam cleaner. Hadden & Co has stock of it or off amazon.

So i pulled out my Foam Cannon today here are some pics

photo (24).JPG

photo (23).JPG

photo (21).JPG

photo (20).JPG

shmilymann
Riding on 13's

Postby shmilymann » September 19th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Hey guys, a friend of mine rubbed down some scratches and polished them down for me recently, but he didn't have a finishing polish to take out the fine swirls left by the polish. Anyone know where I can get Meg's Swirl-X or 3M Ultra fine machine polish or something similar to purchase in TT?

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 19th, 2011, 3:09 pm

i have a brand new bottle of Swirl -X just sitting here.. i would sell it to you ,, let me know if you are interested

shmilymann
Riding on 13's

Postby shmilymann » September 19th, 2011, 3:21 pm

will send you pm

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » September 19th, 2011, 5:33 pm

^^It's officially launched on today's express.....Lubetech is the official distributor of Meguiars products.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 19th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Chemical wrote:^^It's officially launched on today's express.....Lubetech is the official distributor of Meguiars products.

Great !!!!!!!

I hope to see great things coming out of this!!!!

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » September 19th, 2011, 7:12 pm

The problem with them Karim is they don't open on Saturdays. I don't know anything concerning their distribution as they tend to cater for the corporate clients (Lube & Filtration). Lets see how this plays out & especially their pricing structure.

shmilymann
Riding on 13's

Postby shmilymann » September 20th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Karim Khan wrote:i have a brand new bottle of Swirl -X just sitting here.. i would sell it to you ,, let me know if you are interested

Thanks man. Terry towel + elbow grease and swirls are all gone!
Hope they don't come back after washing :p

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 20th, 2011, 7:38 pm

shmilymann wrote:
Karim Khan wrote:i have a brand new bottle of Swirl -X just sitting here.. i would sell it to you ,, let me know if you are interested

Thanks man. Terry towel + elbow grease and swirls are all gone!
Hope they don't come back after washing :p

Good to hear man

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » September 24th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Went lubetech y/day....very disappointed with the products :? ....A/art had alot more og the Meg's products. The tech wax is $167/bottle. I'll stick to good ole Amazon as their prices are very high. :|

beric
Riding on 13's

Postby beric » September 24th, 2011, 10:50 pm

cinco wrote:http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-polishing.html

just came across this link
very helpful info here

Hi there,

Yep, that's an informative post. I know because as a detailer, I use the Porter Cable regularly. And its almost impossible to damage the paint with a 'dual action' polisher.

But Mr. Flex XC 4301 VRG (picture at the end of the article) is even much better. Here is a link to a video of a direct comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ

The Flex is a true hybrid between the rotary buffer (not to be in the hands of anyone but a professional, or you'll burn through your paint in a jiffy), and the dual action type polisher.

Only disadvantage with the Flex is that she's pretty pricey compared to the affordable PC.

beric
Riding on 13's

Postby beric » September 24th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Karim Khan wrote:Guys i used the flex today and i must say this machine is awesome!!!

Hey Karim, nice to see u in the FLEX 3401 VRG club, man. You have the real macoy of DA polishers. As popular as the Porter Cable is (and I still use often) it is no match for Mr. Flex. I just wrote a post answering 'Chung" (not sure I got the name right) on an article posted highlighting the PC, and I mentioned the advantage of the Flex. A great time and product saver. And a true hybrid between the more powerful direct drive rotary buffer and the orbitals.

As you already know though, at the end of the day, it is your correct pad/polish combination, and technique, that does the trick Thing is, a lot of polishes etc out there, even with some popular brands, are really 'old school' compared to the latest type stuff.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 25th, 2011, 10:44 pm

beric wrote:
Karim Khan wrote:Guys i used the flex today and i must say this machine is awesome!!!

Hey Karim, nice to see u in the FLEX 3401 VRG club, man. You have the real macoy of DA polishers. As popular as the Porter Cable is (and I still use often) it is no match for Mr. Flex. I just wrote a post answering 'Chung" (not sure I got the name right) on an article posted highlighting the PC, and I mentioned the advantage of the Flex. A great time and product saver. And a true hybrid between the more powerful direct drive rotary buffer and the orbitals.

As you already know though, at the end of the day, it is your correct pad/polish combination, and technique, that does the trick Thing is, a lot of polishes etc out there, even with some popular brands, are really 'old school' compared to the latest type stuff.

Beric thank you very much for your comments on my Flex 3401. This is not my first flex nor my first DA polisher. I Have been using DA polishers for over 10years now.. i can't believe i am doing this so long!!!!

All my tools chemicals and equipment are the best on the market!!!

The type of vehicles i work on are high end and when working on these vehicles i only use the best!!

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 26th, 2011, 12:09 am

Chemical wrote:Went lubetech y/day....very disappointed with the products :? ....A/art had alot more og the Meg's products. The tech wax is $167/bottle. I'll stick to good ole Amazon as their prices are very high. :|

Lubetech is relatively new to distributing the Meg's products ,lets give them sometime.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 27th, 2011, 12:17 pm

looking for steps 1 and 3 of mothers' ultimate system....

most places seem to have step 2 - sealer and glaze but not the step 1 (pre wax cleaner) and 3 (carnuba wax)....

ended up using...

mothers cal gold shampoo for wash followed by clay bar then

mothers carnuba wax cleaner followed by meguairs carnuba wax (some deep crystal thing)

seemed to work well...

i'd like to use the 3 steps in the ultimate system to see the results of a complete process

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 27th, 2011, 12:47 pm

where are you located ?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 27th, 2011, 12:55 pm

^east west corridor....

nowhere is too far though

looked through all of bamboo for the other 2 steps as well as car place in valpark...

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » September 27th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Check West Mall - there is a car accessories store there

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 27th, 2011, 1:11 pm

^thanks

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » September 27th, 2011, 5:37 pm

16 cycles wrote:^east west corridor....

nowhere is too far though

looked through all of bamboo for the other 2 steps as well as car place in valpark...

^^Auto Rama in El Secorro has them also the autoglym.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”