Forums

Car Polishing 101

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Re: Car Polishing 101

Postby DSM_05 » April 12th, 2012, 10:01 am

No, that's what happens when you let details leak on a public forum :)

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » April 12th, 2012, 10:05 am

Karim Khan wrote:Ultimate Compound works well on any surface, its just knowing how to use it , in terms of technique, machine speed and polishing pad type. I have used Ultimate Compound on all paint types with very good results.

On any surface? Notice I referred to use of Ult Compound BY ITSELF.

Karim, I'd recommend a look at this thread:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh ... ound+HOnda

I had almost the EXACT problem with Ultimate Compound (similar car, black paint also). Ultimate Compound apparently does not always finish perfectly well by itself on softer paints, even when working by machine. For softer paints, it sometimes leaves a very mild haze, which is only revealed when doing an IPA wipedown. I had to follow up with a milder product to get any residual haze out.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time it does finish perfectly by itself, even by hand (with sufficient patience and working time obviously when working by hand). But not on every paint type. In cases where it doesn't, just follow up with a milder product for finishing.

Also see this thread here on MOL:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh ... ake-bitten

Meguiars themselves had problems with UC on the paint on these cars; the Ult Compound ALONE caused mild hazing, and it did NOT finish perfectly.

Again, this is the same thing I experienced myself once.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » April 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Hmm, come to think of it I usually always follow with milder polish after. Thus far whenever I've used the compound I did Griot's Polish 3 then 4 after or Polish 3 and SRP. That being said, only recently started using the Ult Compound though. I'll see if I have those problems later.

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » April 13th, 2012, 7:16 am

Gonna do a Clay > Polish 3 > SRP > Best of Show wax this weekend on the white B15. The goal is to reduce the visibility of swirls.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » April 13th, 2012, 7:55 am

^I'd humbly suggest you try AG UDS instead. Hides swirls alot better than SRP. Megs Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) is like a glaze, which hides swirls REALLY well in my opinion as well. And it's cheaper.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » April 13th, 2012, 1:05 pm

DSM_05 wrote:I had almost the EXACT problem with Ultimate Compound (similar car, black paint also). Ultimate Compound apparently does not always finish perfectly well by itself on softer paints, even when working by machine. For softer paints, it sometimes leaves a very mild haze, which is only revealed when doing an IPA wipedown. I had to follow up with a milder product to get any residual haze out.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time it does finish perfectly by itself, even by hand (with sufficient patience and working time obviously when working by hand). But not on every paint type. In cases where it doesn't, just follow up with a milder product for finishing.

What type of machine , pads u were using when you was working on he black car ?

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » April 13th, 2012, 6:32 pm

DSM_05 wrote:^I'd humbly suggest you try AG UDS instead. Hides swirls alot better than SRP. Megs Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) is like a glaze, which hides swirls REALLY well in my opinion as well. And it's cheaper.

I wouldn't recommend this. AG themselves say if you're putting anything on top, use the SRP not UDS because the UDS will not allow it to bond well and last right? So unless you want to end your work at the UDS, it might not be the best idea. DSM you ever tested this?

I do agree however with using a dedicated glaze in place of the SRP if you're going to use Polish 3 anyway. On many forums people seem to like the Mirror glaze. Haven't tried it myself yet though.
Which brings me to another question : If you want to hide swirls, why not just leave out the pure polish? And if you wanted to remove swirls with polish then why would you need a filler after?
Unless of course you want to remove some and not all, then fill the rest, which, unless some are very deep, just makes no sense I think. If it's all removeable swirls then just remove them if you're breaking out the Polish 3 and machine anyway.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » April 13th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I wouldn't recommend this. AG themselves say if you're putting anything on top, use the SRP not UDS because the UDS will not allow it to bond well and last right? So unless you want to end your work at the UDS, it might not be the best idea. DSM you ever tested this?

Yes.

I've topped UDS with Mothers Pure Carnauba (no cleaners).

No issues. Still getting about a solid 2 months with Mothers Carnauba (as I used to before).

UDS fills alot better than SRP - there's no mixing matters about it. The main problem is that it's harder to use.

Check the DW forums, the AG rep there admits that UDS can be topped, but it needs enough time to "sit", and you need to ensure that there's no streaking/hazing on the surface. Since that haze comes from glazing oil accumulation, and those areas don't bond well with wax.

It's also why AG puts a note at the back of every UDS bottle to buff a SECOND time, even after removal (so as to remove streaking).

What type of machine , pads u were using when you was working on he black car ?

Borrowed a Griots DA, used orange pad. Stopped after 5 mins due to results aforementioned. NEVER used it on the car via machine again. Area was a section of the rear bumper behind the rear wheel (test spot)

Applied after with a Megs Foam applicator on another test spot - same thing. Worked it by hand into paint until the compound was barely visible (about 2-3 mins per 12x12 inch area).

Keep in mind this was only on ONE car. Other cars I used it on, it worked flawlessly.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » April 14th, 2012, 12:17 am

Interesting. Thanks for that UDS info there. I know it's a better filler than the SRP, but never tried it with overlaying wax since it wasn't recommended. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime with the HDwax. Will also leave it a few hours or put the wax the next day.

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » April 16th, 2012, 7:58 am

I did some other work on the car and was pressed for time, so I just did a wash, clay and wax.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » June 9th, 2012, 2:17 pm

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » June 9th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Good video on washing basics.
Dat is a real painful car to wash though with all the vents and creases.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » September 7th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Morpheus wrote:

Good video! What is that sticking out the front of the car though?

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » September 27th, 2012, 8:51 pm

DVSTT wrote:TURTLE WAX ICE SYSTEM!!!!!!! This thing works great!!! i use d car wash to wash cars n i dnt have to dry them after, dries wit no water marks. the polish n wax are great as well :)

is this good to use by hand? want to hand compound and polish my car, not sure what to use

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » September 27th, 2012, 9:05 pm

konartis wrote:
DVSTT wrote:TURTLE WAX ICE SYSTEM!!!!!!! This thing works great!!! i use d car wash to wash cars n i dnt have to dry them after, dries wit no water marks. the polish n wax are great as well :)

is this good to use by hand? want to hand compound and polish my car, not sure what to use

The polish is for hand use, comes with applicator and removal cloth, but I never used the compound so can't say :/

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Postby R.P.J » November 8th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Where do u get the paint where them foreign use guys does mark the part when u buy it.

The paint marker.

gondar5678
Riding on 13's

Postby gondar5678 » August 14th, 2015, 12:39 am

Thank , :)

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » August 14th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Mr Karim Khan,
How would you rate chemical guys hex logic pads? Got a set of 7 from amazon for my griots DA for about $50 usd

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » August 15th, 2015, 11:05 am

i use them with great results

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » August 15th, 2015, 11:19 am

So do I karim uses meguiars pads those as discussed before

daas
Shifting into 6th

Postby daas » September 14th, 2016, 9:58 am

Any advice on how to get rid of those pesky feather scratches?

Also, there's alot of information thats making my head swirl, can anyone recommend a premium (but not too expensive) car wash pack?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”