pinging...*whew* problem solved

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

pinging...*whew* problem solved

Postby Hook » December 19th, 2006, 2:22 am

okie, here's the story from the beginning

yuh boi put in a fuel treatment (STP, white bottle) on a full tank week before last and let it run down to last quarter. Then, on Monday last week, I put in another white bottle of the STP and fill up on Premium by Valpark gas station. The following night, two runs to make and limited time, I end up running d engine REAL hard (~12mins between Piarco and Woodbrook), but on the way back that same Tuesday, normal granny driving and the engine pinging like CRAZY!!! Whether a/c on or off, pull off hard or pull off slow, it still pinging!

I tried everything I could think of between then and now:
1. dumped the rest of the tank and refilled from another station
2. octane boosters
3. retarded the timing all the way (helped somewhat, but the power loss is noticeable)
4. changed distributor
5. decarbonized the engine (Amsoil Power Foam...it still have black spots on d driveway)
BUT IT STILL PINGS!

the only thing I could think of now is that the knock sensor has died, but on a 20V S/T, iz preshah to get it out (whole intake side hafta scrap down to get to it)

can anybody offer any other suggestions before I take on that task?
Last edited by Hook on January 5th, 2007, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » December 19th, 2006, 8:10 am

Try an ecu reset. Sometimes that works.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » December 19th, 2006, 11:40 am

Hook,
yuh sure valpark gas station sells premium buddy?

a couple of months ago..........i was told only super, so had to go into curepe for gas.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » December 19th, 2006, 12:20 pm

anton made a good suggestion.
it wouldnt hurt to try that.

villain
Riding on 16's

Postby villain » December 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm

try getting a diagnostic on your car to find out if it is indeed the knock sensor....cause them thing ent cheap...mine costing about 545.00

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » December 20th, 2006, 4:15 am

i was trying to research your problem and most solution to the pinging problem u covered already . some suggest to check the cooling system(which i also beleive might be causing your problem) check that the fan and thermostat is operational and your system does not have any blockages
also or use a cooler rating spark plug.
As for the knock sensor it will be easier to have that diagnosed before playing with it. Sorry not in trinidad right now otherwise i would have done the diagnosis for you
Is your enging pinging at idle ?

mitsugdi
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsugdi » December 20th, 2006, 8:03 am

wagonrunner wrote:Hook,
yuh sure valpark gas station sells premium buddy?

a couple of months ago..........i was told only super, so had to go into curepe for gas.

Thats true no premium at valpark the last time i wanted to refill around Eid.

seanf3000
18 pounds of Boost

Postby seanf3000 » December 20th, 2006, 8:20 am

Can't remember premium being available at valpark either.....but i seeing some premium only cars filling up there recently.

Like they said....try a ecu reset if you havent already hook.

Wolfie
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Wolfie » December 20th, 2006, 9:04 am

O2 and MAF sensors clean?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 22nd, 2006, 2:05 pm

the Premium pump at Valpark gas station is the one to the front, 1st one u meet as u come off the highway...sometimes they have, sometimes they don't

iite...O2 sensor is questionable cuz a visit to the muffler shop for an estimate revealed the harness had touched the exhaust and melted so I doh know if any wires touch
but MAF sensor is clean and calibrated and of course everytime I try something new, the ECU is reset...
fan, thermostat and water temp sensor all present and accounted for
and I'm using #6 NGK Iridiums with a 1.4 gap on a MSD Blaster SS coil
timing was previously 11 DBTDC

that's all covered...was working REAL nice before this blasted pinging
since my last post, timing was retarded right down and I tried back the original plugs (gap hadn't been tampered with on those)...still pings (prolly worse with the old plugs) so I put back in the Iridiums

one suggestion was maybe the timing belt might've skipped a tooth with the hard run...I checked and all marks line up perfectly...no belt jump

another suggestion was that maybe the cause is unmetered air in the intake system, ie. vacuum leak leaning out the mix to the point of pinging...tho my idle is normal, it's still possible so I'll hafta check back all the vacuum hoses (an ah just replaced them a couple months ago yuh kno!) just to cross that off my checklist

now, it's a transplant into a formerly carb'd car so no check light was connected, but I have the ECU pinouts so hopefully I'll be able to wire one up if I get time this weekend and see if the knock &/ oxygen sensor are throwing codes

if u guys could think of anything else before then, plz holla

JWT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby JWT » December 22nd, 2006, 8:49 pm

ok the MAF was changed before (i know the car) :mrgreen:
ok question

not the maf if it was idle would fluctuate
also you can take a voltmeter andcheck the signal oing in and comming out that is how i knoew teh maf needed changing.

are you burning gas excessively
ok change the O2 sensor see if that helps

also pm me what pin the ecu is my mech who did thetun before you got it has a diagnostic kit and he only charges $250.00

daymean
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby daymean » December 23rd, 2006, 7:48 am

fellaz ah have been hearing all kinda stories about that valpark gas station
is the gas there really that bad>???

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 23rd, 2006, 4:42 pm

^^^ apparently so...those fcukers :evil:

the car was running equally well on both Super and Premium before this disaster

Stones, I'll holla early January after this hectic season...if anything, either 2mro or Boxing Day will give me a chance to check for vacuum leaks and replace hoses (if necessary) and check the knock sensor

stang
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stang » December 23rd, 2006, 6:54 pm

decarbonized the engine (Amsoil Power Foam...it still have black spots on d driveway

Have this same problem and was looking around for the product...however no one seems to have it..

Anybody knows where i can find it in or around st Augustine?

lastminuteaudio
Sweet on this forum

Postby lastminuteaudio » December 23rd, 2006, 11:48 pm

here's an idea. i dunno if it will help but since u done checkin electrical an ignition, why not try to add on another ground lead to battery from the engine an body, using maybe 4 gauge or 0 gauge wire. correct me if i'm wrong but i was gettin some crazy probs recently an spenta lot of money by the mechanic to realise'on my own' this was my prob.....try an see.....

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 25th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Stang: power foam can be bought at Gobin's next to Hi-Lo on the EMR in St. Augustine

LMA: everything grounded nice and proper already...getting zero resistance and zero voltage drops between grounding points...checked that already

gonna have some time to check for vacuum leaks and pull down and check the knock sensor in the morning (apparently u can reach it from below without having to scrap down the throttle bodies) so we'll see what gives

JWT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby JWT » December 26th, 2006, 12:04 am

^^ aye last time i tried to scap the trottle body remember it has a thick coat of sticky residue inside do not under any circumstances remove that

Hook if the injectors are not firing the same spray pattern then you will get a ping from the engine clean the injectors

knock sensor is working that i am sure
:mrgreen:

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » December 27th, 2006, 4:44 pm

^ that is good advice. clean the injectors, have seen this before on the neighbour's car.

it may or may not be your problem but here was the scenario:

#3 injector on a QG15DE was leaking/dribling. This caused the O2 sensor to read the exhaust gas as rich, caused the ecu to reduce injector pulsewidth, but #3 still dribling as usual, the other cylinders by this time lean bad and pinging too bad.

If u want to know if this is your problem pull the plugs, the sick injector cylinder will have a sooty plug. Could be more than one even.

So try cleaning the injectors, u could use the at home method with some carb spray in the fuel filter, I find it works well. The QG series don't have the inline fuel filter but we put one and it will help to do the injector cleaning in future as well as the obvious benifits.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 28th, 2006, 8:34 pm

^^^ interesting...hmmmm :idea:

well, I only just now replaced the o2 sensor 2day so my plugs were already a bit sooty, but I'll check them again when I get home in the morning

strangely enough, it's real sometime-ish since yesterday...no pinging on the way home last night, but pinged like only after every other pit-stop 2day

what I did notice 2day was that my AFR gauge would indicate stoich at a standstill, richen up upon acceleration, bounce around stoich when coasting with my foot on the pedal...but it would richen again or a second when I take my foot of the pedal, then return to stoich and slowly move to the lean end of the scale as I gradually slow down..sometimes to the point when it's completely off the lean scale!

I'll call my mech in the morning and see if I can get my injectors cleaned 2mro :idea:

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » December 29th, 2006, 8:14 am

strangely enough, it's real sometime-ish since yesterday...no pinging on the way home last night, but pinged like only after every other pit-stop 2day

problem is probably getting better but not totally gone. If it didnt happen in the night it was probably due to reduced ambient temperature and so the engine ran cooler, a difference of just 1 or 2 degrees in coolant temperature can have an effect on pinging.

The ECU keeps trying to run better timing but if it detects pinging via the knock sensor will revert to low octane ignition and timing maps. Everytime you start the car it will keep incrementally trying to increase timing an use less fuel gradually overwriting your short term fuel and ig trim. Once it detects knock (different manufactureres write the code to suit their engines but generally three pings in a row) it goes back to low octane maps where you will get little or no pinging. As soon as you get the injectors cleaned reset the ecu, put your timing back at stock and go from there.

what I did notice 2day was that my AFR gauge would indicate stoich at a standstill, richen up upon acceleration, bounce around stoich when coasting with my foot on the pedal...but it would richen again or a second when I take my foot of the pedal, then return to stoich and slowly move to the lean end of the scale as I gradually slow down..sometimes to the point when it's completely off the lean scale!

in a good working EFI system it should go very quickly to lean (and off the scale) once you are decelerating and in gear and the throttle is closed, the ECU stops firing the injectors at this time as the wheels drive the engine so no need for gas.

The fact that you are seeing a slow change towards lean does indicate an excess of fuel either in the IM or from a leaking injector.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 5th, 2007, 1:38 pm

well folks, it turns out my timing belt skipped a tooth...

did a diagnostic, no error codes thrown...life is grand again

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 5th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Most excellent news man!
Glad to know everything worked out.

Rudman
Shifting into 6th
Location: Finding out all the good tyres in life begins with "R".

Postby Rudman » January 5th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Learned something new here boy! Glad U sorted out that problem. Never thought skipping 1 tooth on your timing belt could have that effect... :shock:

Hook, this have me wondering, wat de hell could cause U to skip a tooth? What made U suspect that this was the problem in the first place? Problems with your belt tensioner?

Did U sort out that, so U won't skip a tooth next time?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 5th, 2007, 3:24 pm

^^stretched belt, bad tensioner, broken tooth

it was as we had discussed, good all worked out

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » January 5th, 2007, 3:47 pm

sheit happens...

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » January 5th, 2007, 7:36 pm

so what about the gas in valpark what is the story with that

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 7th, 2007, 9:02 pm

^^^well...turns out that wasn't the problem...the previous tuning was such that it runs well on both Super (I guess that's when the knock sensor comes into play) and Premium with a bit more kick on the premium :twisted:

when we did the scan and came up with no error codes, the mech adjusted the timing on the car, only to realize the monitor showed no change in base timing no matter how we turned the dizzy...so we lined up the timing mark down below, checked for TDC and sure enough, the cams were a tooth off...he set it right and it runs once again

what he said was prolly that night when I ran it hard, I may have revved out and then let off the gas too quickly (as in, from WOT to no throttle suddenly...it's not a habit of mine, but I'm not ruling it out rom having happened)

tho there's no signs of wear or slackness on the belt and the tensioner isn't making any noise, he still suggested that I change the timing belt and tensioner..advice which I intend to take :idea:

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » January 8th, 2007, 7:41 am

Glad to hear it pallie. Yuh should do the change asap imo.

Kadeembrizan
Riding on 13's

Has any one ger over a engin pinging has any one get their engin back to normal

Postby Kadeembrizan » November 7th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Hook wrote:okie, here's the story from the beginning

yuh boi put in a fuel treatment (STP, white bottle) on a full tank week before last and let it run down to last quarter. Then, on Monday last week, I put in another white bottle of the STP and fill up on Premium by Valpark gas station. The following night, two runs to make and limited time, I end up running d engine REAL hard (~12mins between Piarco and Woodbrook), but on the way back that same Tuesday, normal granny driving and the engine pinging like CRAZY!!! Whether a/c on or off, pull off hard or pull off slow, it still pinging!

I tried everything I could think of between then and now:
1. dumped the rest of the tank and refilled from another station
2. octane boosters
3. retarded the timing all the way (helped somewhat, but the power loss is noticeable)
4. changed distributor
5. decarbonized the engine (Amsoil Power Foam...it still have black spots on d driveway)
BUT IT STILL PINGS!

the only thing I could think of now is that the knock sensor has died, but on a 20V S/T, iz preshah to get it out (whole intake side hafta scrap down to get to it)

can anybody offer any other suggestions before I take on that task?

Kadeembrizan
Riding on 13's

Re: pinging...*whew* problem solved

Postby Kadeembrizan » November 7th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Has any one permanently get their engine to stop pinging , am having that problem change plugs clean injectors and throttle body change to premium still happening, has anyone been able to stop it please share (tida vehicle)

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”