TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Honda CR-V RD5 Transmission Problem

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Honda CR-V RD5 Transmission Problem

Postby joe_d_boss » August 4th, 2022, 9:03 am

Good day all. I recently bought a CR-V RD5 and I've been having a problem whenever I attempt to fiercely accelerate from a stopped position. The issue is the gear slams or knocks very loudly. I am leaning toward the dual linear solenoid being the issue. Any other suggestions or is this usually the issue? Chaguanas Auto Supplies told me my solenoid is good and they will have to scrap the entire transmission. What are your thoughts? Thanks much!

matix
Shifting into 6th

Re: Honda CR-V RD5 Transmission Problem

Postby matix » August 4th, 2022, 9:09 am

Don’t fiercely accelerate

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joe_d_boss » August 4th, 2022, 10:24 am

^LOL...so far this is the working solution.

Zalos
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Zalos » August 4th, 2022, 11:28 am

When last you change the fluid? Using OEM Fluid? What mileage on the transmission?
Can also try taking off the solenoid and clean it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 4th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Drain and refill the transmission fluid (clean the magnet on the drain plug if you have one.
After refilling, drive it around for maybe 500kms. If it gets better well drain and refill again.

Another thing to look for is busted engine mounts. Start the vehicle with the hood open ... Watch how much the engine is moving as you select reverse... And also when you put it in drive. It shouldn't move a whole lot but anything more than one inch or approaching 2 needs to be looked at

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 4th, 2022, 8:45 pm

Check jais in aranguez he will sort you out

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joe_d_boss » August 5th, 2022, 7:59 am

kamakazi wrote:Drain and refill the transmission fluid (clean the magnet on the drain plug if you have one.
After refilling, drive it around for maybe 500kms. If it gets better well drain and refill again.

Another thing to look for is busted engine mounts. Start the vehicle with the hood open ... Watch how much the engine is moving as you select reverse... And also when you put it in drive. It shouldn't move a whole lot but anything more than one inch or approaching 2 needs to be looked at

Yes, all of the above was done. There was quite a bit of improvement after cleaning the solenoid, so I am wondering if I should just change it. A couple mechanics told me that these old Hondas are notorious for having problems with the solenoid, and that is usually the fix.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 5th, 2022, 8:16 am

Draining and refilling a transmission where the oil was extremely dirty won't make a huge difference. A flush would be better as you would have only gotten out 2/3 or so of the old oil.
There are chemicals which can be added to aid the flushing process which may have helped with your issue of dirty solenoids.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 5th, 2022, 11:57 am

Have you ever tried it...
While I don't have an rd5... This sounds very similar to my used ek4; previous owner didn't really take good care of it mechanically.

That first drain and refill made a big enough difference that the 2nd and 3rd that I did seemed incremental. I also didn't want the auto to shift to smoothly as that means the clutches will wear faster.

Honda automatics are built different... Don't use any additives, and use Honda branded fluid.

Zalos
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Zalos » August 5th, 2022, 4:24 pm

I agree, dont flush a honda transmission. Can drain and fill up to 3 times to clean all the fluid out. And best to use honda oem fluid.
If the fluid black and burnt, no way to save them clutches bro...

Also if the filter is servicable, can clean/change that.

Cant comment on the solenoids, usually if they click when powered they good. If they sticking, you wouldnt get a gear...

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 5th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Didn't realise those transmissions were so finiky. I flushed a B and D years ago and all was well.
Do drop the pan and change the screen. That's compulsory.

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joe_d_boss » August 8th, 2022, 10:08 am

The person who had the vehicle before did a drain and refill of the transmission fluid, and thereafter the issue started. He did use original Honda ATF. Maybe I will do another drain and refill. I don't see why doing a complete flush should cause a problem, but I will do the drain and refill, clean the magnet, and whatever filter needs to be changed.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 9th, 2022, 3:55 am

That opens up so many questions

What mileage on the transmission
Which Honda ATF was used (z1/dw-1/and hopefully not the CVT fluid if it isn't a CVT)
Was the correct amount added
Any third party additives used?
Any transmission slipping experienced

Need some more details on the bang you are experiencing. Is it on the first to second gear upshift, or does it occur just in first gear when you floor the pedal say the revs flare up and it feels like you dumped the clutch.

Most Honda automatics that are not cvts, are automated manual transmissions, generally carrying a clutch pack per gear. The filter isn't a serviceable item as it normally requires transmission disassembly to access.

Flushing transmissions is generally frowned upon as it generally uses pulses of pressurized cleaning fluid to flush the system. This usually ends up clogging/damaging internal filters/orifices and rubber seals.
Fluid exchange machines are generally safer. But you actually want to have some contamination from the clutch material remain in the fluid to help the clutches.

Zalos
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Zalos » August 9th, 2022, 11:21 am

joe_d_boss wrote:The person who had the vehicle before did a drain and refill of the transmission fluid, and thereafter the issue started. He did use original Honda ATF. Maybe I will do another drain and refill. I don't see why doing a complete flush should cause a problem, but I will do the drain and refill, clean the magnet, and whatever filter needs to be changed.

If it start after he drain and fill, them clutches probably worn. They changed the fluid so you wouldnt see it was dark

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joe_d_boss » August 13th, 2022, 7:46 am

kamakazi wrote:That opens up so many questions

What mileage on the transmission
Which Honda ATF was used (z1/dw-1/and hopefully not the CVT fluid if it isn't a CVT)
Was the correct amount added
Any third party additives used?
Any transmission slipping experienced

Need some more details on the bang you are experiencing. Is it on the first to second gear upshift, or does it occur just in first gear when you floor the pedal say the revs flare up and it feels like you dumped the clutch.

I don't know what mileage is on the transmission itself, but the vehicle has about 320,000 km on the Odo. I don't know if it was ever rebuilt or replaced.
The Honda ATF might have been DW-1, but again I'm not sure (vehicle is non-CVT)
As for the amount added, I feel like maybe it was overfilled based on what is seen on the dipstick.
No additives used,
Transmission not slipping and drives perfectly otherwise. The slamming gear only happens at pull off or if almost to a complete stop and re-accelerate. All other gears working perfectly with no slipping. The drain and refill the guy did was just one drain and top up, and the problem occurred thereafter (according to previous owner). I will try to do another drain and top up and see what happens. I have been told by multiple mechanics that the solenoid is usually the culprit.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 22nd, 2022, 3:46 am

To limit my engine movement I urethane (3m window weld) filled my engine and torque mounts; not recommended unless you don't mind a buzzy cabin. Doing torque mounts will not be as bad as doing all
The only other thing I can advise is using light throttle for like half a second to a second before moving the throttle pedal to where you want it; in scenarios where you are slowing for a red light and it changes to green.

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”