Forums

WTB: Granite for face basin sink

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

WTB: Granite for face basin sink

Postby newto4x4 » December 14th, 2017, 9:49 am

2ft x 40 ins, with a oval hole cut in the middle for the face basin.
I checked a few tile places and who have only selling by the slab (big pieces).
Also if I purchase a slab what can be used to cut it.
Last edited by newto4x4 on December 18th, 2017, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTB: Graphite for face basin sink

Postby *KRONIK* » December 14th, 2017, 9:50 am

U mean granite?

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » December 15th, 2017, 7:29 am

yes, sorry

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 15th, 2017, 2:41 pm

I have a 7'x4' island sheet with rounded edges.
Paid 5k
Will take 3k
Come with a transport.

You could make a few face basin and sell back or even a outside kitchen counter

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » December 15th, 2017, 3:22 pm

got mine in tile warehouse, you basically looking for a slab that's broken or damaged to get the piece you looking for.
They wont cut anything to sell to you.
Check carpenter's edge,sivic or anyone of those places that does countertops, they sometimes have pieces from jobs done.
It can be cut with a angle grinder, i found it easier to use that the circular saw. You must use a diamond-tip blade and have someone wetting it to avoid cracks.
A cheaper option would be to get porcelain tile, they sell large pieces like 36x24ft, easier to cut and looks good as well..

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » December 18th, 2017, 8:26 am

^^^^ The problem is to cut the round hole for the sink.

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » December 18th, 2017, 9:30 am

there is no problem cutting the hole.i did mine with an angle grinder.
Find center, mark out sink, measured inch half inside perimeter line for sink and cut on that . As i said before once you keep wetting the blade and you take your time you ll be successful without damaging the granite.
see images of sink after cutting hole, cant find the pics when i actually cut the hole.I ended up using the piece i cut out as a chopping board,wukking like a boss

IMG-20171211-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20171211-WA0012.jpeg

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » December 18th, 2017, 11:38 am

Thanks will check them. From your pics is the same application I want t

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » December 18th, 2017, 11:40 am

Thanks will check them. From your pics is the same application I want to do.

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » December 18th, 2017, 12:25 pm

When u cutting the hole, did u start on the good side or the under side?

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: WTB: Granite for face basin sink

Postby nissan4life » December 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

started from the top side /good side.
If cut correctly the basin will be sitting over the cuts/flaws. It can also be smoothened out with a sanding belt.
I did this for the sides, just have to apply a polish to it to get the beauty of the stone.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » December 19th, 2017, 12:19 am

Classic Tiles and ABC has tops with the hole already cut out for the sink at reasonable prices. Classic also has broken slabs in sizes like you asked about . I bought 5 slabs and had to get a piece 3 ft long . Instead of buying another sheet ,I got a 1/2 slab at less than $400. As mentioned above ,it's easy to work ,with simple tools . Even making a bull nose is no big deal. Shiloh enterprises has epoxy and tints for joining and filling . Right now I'm looking for a half sheet ( 6 x8 ) of coral red to do an island , if anybody sees that colour anywhere , please let me know .

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » December 19th, 2017, 5:20 am

Another option would be to find someone who recently installed granite and have left over pieces....

Bosse
Street 2NR

Postby Bosse » June 26th, 2019, 11:10 am

Fellas, can broken granite be repaired?

I have sink countertop that broke into 3 pieces.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » June 26th, 2019, 2:06 pm

check the place I Elsocorro behind Lifestyle, I think they had cheap Granite...………..

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 27th, 2019, 9:36 am

Ben_spanna wrote:check the place I Elsocorro behind Lifestyle, I think they had cheap Granite...………..

Home Depot

Starts @ $3,000

The best deal in Trini

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 27th, 2019, 10:39 am

Bosse wrote:Fellas, can broken granite be repaired?

Yes, with Loctite Marine epoxy or similar water resistant epoxy resin mix and then clamping in place for 24 hours, then polish and buff the surface until the epoxy is smooth with the surface. Unfortunately you will still see the cracks unless you cut the granite smoothly with a tile cutter to make them fit exact, but at least you won't feel the cracks.

But if that sink broke into 3, just replace the entire top.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » June 27th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I have a couple small pieces to sell if anyone is interested, pm me.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » June 27th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Hey, as we on this... don't mean to take the thread off track.
But some of the tiny flecks (stones?) in the granite are flaking off where the edge is at the kitchen sink. Can I use anything to permanently seal this edge?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 27th, 2019, 10:40 pm

maj. tom wrote:
Bosse wrote:Fellas, can broken granite be repaired?

Yes, with Loctite Marine epoxy or similar water resistant epoxy resin mix and then clamping in place for 24 hours, then polish and buff the surface until the epoxy is smooth with the surface. Unfortunately you will still see the cracks unless you cut the granite smoothly with a tile cutter to make them fit exact, but at least you won't feel the cracks.

But if that sink broke into 3, just replace the entire top.
In my experience, you can repair stone with multiple fractures.

Rather than using a marine-specific epoxy, a slow-set epoxy is preferred. About a 60 minute set time will allow you to position and clamp the pieces. Slow-set epoxies typically have a stronger bond strength, also.

The difficult part will be setting up the pieces and clamping them. You will likely need four or five bar clamps and a jig to allow positioning the pieces to be clamped.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 6:08 am

There is a specific epoxy for granite and one for quartz. I get both at Fiberpol on Sadhoo tr El socorro.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 6:09 am

ABC has a wide range of Granite at low prices.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 28th, 2019, 6:32 am

I have a 7x4 island countertop to sell
Rounded edges right around.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 28th, 2019, 8:02 am

rspann wrote:There is a specific epoxy for granite and one for quartz. I get both at Fiberpol on Sadhoo tr El socorro.
There are quite a few different epoxy chemical formulations but they all have very similar properties. Much of the difference lies in the mix ratio, color, set-time, and viscosity that you get out of the package. In my opinion, the significant qualities to look for are set-time and viscosity.

Here's some old info ripped from the web:

Epoxy comes in different viscosities for different applications. The three viscosities used in the stone industry are flowing (which is the consistency of syrup), knife-grade (which is the consistency of warm peanut butter), and penetrating (which is the consistency of water). While some of the applications for these will overlap here are some guidelines to go by.

If you are doing a lamination (gluing 2 pieces of granite together to make it appear twice as thick) you should use a flowing epoxy as it will conform to the voids more easily and will ooze out of the seam uniformly so that when you scrape the stone with a razor blade across the seam it will be flush. When you use epoxy in this application you want a uniform edge. While you could use knife-grade here there is a much greater chance that you’ll end up with little air pockets on the visible part of the lamination seam which you will have to fill in later. All of our customers that laminate granite use flowing glue for laminations. Flowing epoxy can be used in almost all horizontal applications like laminations or fills. Our flowing epoxies are all transparent, some dry with a hue and some are water-clear.

If you are working on an uneven surface, a horizontal or angled surface (non-horizontal) or a chip repair you can use knife-grade glue. The best advantage of this glue is that it will pretty much stay where it is put; bearing in mind that gravity does affect it of course. The thickening agent used in knife-grade epoxy varies from cabocil to ash, but in any case it does not dry transparent as all of the flowing epoxies we carry do. It may dry translucent, but in the best cases it will dry a clear white (think of looking through an ice cube that is suspended in drinking water).

If you have a crack in the stone and it is too narrow to get either knife-grade or flowing epoxy into it you can use a penetrating epoxy. This glue will seep into a hairline crack, bonding everything it touches on the way down and into the stone. This glue will never get rock-hard. It always maintains some elastomeric quality to it so that it will move when the stone has deflection in order to help prevent the stone from breaking again. This is important as anytime a stone has been cracked or cut into it has been weakened.

Most do-it yourselfers use the knife-grade as it is easy and user friendly. If fast-setting is preferred we sell a fast setting mercaptan epoxy that dries in less than 30 minutes and will not stick to polisher surfaces. Most pros reading this are nodding their heads and already know what they need to use for their applications. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at mark@defusco.com

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 7:32 pm

All I did when joining, was to put masking tape at the bottom under the joint. When the epoxy is put into the joint with a spreader (like the ones they filler cars with) the epoxy doesn't run out so no worries about the viscosity.
They also have a gel that mixes with a powder hardener which can be used for wider gaps. You can buy the tints by Shiloh Enterprises and mix into the epoxies to get a closer match . If the colour of the granite is dappled, I mix a first batch to fill the gap ,then mix small amounts of different colours as needed to camouflage the joint so it doesn't look like a straight line.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”