Forums

Dog Question

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Dog Question

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 3rd, 2017, 10:54 am

Guys I have a pitbull about 9 years old.
About 2-3 weeks ago we noticed that when she runs/walks she was drifting...it worsened a bit that she would be hitting the car due to her loss of balance. She couldn't balance on her two hind legs when she jumped up against a wall,she fell over on herself. She lost slight function in her jaw so eating and drinking was a bit difficult for her.

So we carried her to the vet. Said all her vitals etc were normal so he gave her a worm out shot and some antibiotics. She immediately showed improvements and she was back to normal within two days. In fact from that very same day she showed improvements. He perscribed some medication that she's on still to this day. I think it has about a week left of tablets etc. But shes completely normal now.

A few months ago probably around march or so she had bloodwork and scans done etc and it didnt show anything. This was because she was still calling even tho she was spayed. Turned out that a small piece of her whomb remained that had her slightly menstruating. That was rectified.

Anyone knows what could have been the cause of this? Anything I should look out for?
Thanks.

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Re: Dog Question

Postby Monkey Man » October 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am

pal i hope she recover from this. but it looked like she get a real dread beat out from another bigger dog.

side to side thing is happen when you doing it right

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 3rd, 2017, 11:19 am

Could be poisoning.
Take her to another vet, get some detailed tests done.
Try PetLife, they are really good and have excellent equipment on site for bloodwork, xrays etc.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 3rd, 2017, 11:24 am

Kriyaan Singh is a great vet as well

you took her to a real vet or someone posing as a vet? only recently i realize it have real fake vets and vets assistant farmers have vet practices and offices

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 3rd, 2017, 11:43 am

Had a Doberman mix that used to get that off and on. Sometimes it was bad and she would curl up in an embryonic position, "paralyzed" for a few minutes. Then all was normal again.

Battery of tests, they never found the problem. Finally one day she became totally paralyzed from the neck down. Vet theorized it was some sort of brain/ spinal issue but they couldn't do anything about it.
Last edited by hydroep on October 3rd, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 3rd, 2017, 11:43 am

Hmmm same vet we going by for the past 15 years or so in arouca there. Not too far after five rivers junction.
Thanks for the recommendations as well.

I've been monitoring her since the vet visit and she's been her normal self since.

Sorry about your loss hydorep
About 5 years ago we had a pompec whose hind legs gave out and the vet said it could have been some spinal infection.
Antibiotic shot fixed it. We were supposed to be monitoring her for a week and then bring ber back in.
Sadly she got into a fight with my same pitbull and rott we have as well and she died so we never got to the cause of it

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » October 3rd, 2017, 1:33 pm

OP i had a german sherpard that had similar symptoms, at times he jus couldnt walk, it was very hard to determine what is was as he also suffered with seizures as well.
The lost of movement in hind legs and imbalance ended up being an ear infection. which causes an loss of balance, it is very similar to vertigo in humans, was helped with antibotics
Hope you find a solution,

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

Ear infection was my first thought. But i couldn't see anything visible. I would imagine that the vet checked her inner ears as well...I wasnt there when she went to the vet.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » October 3rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

Could be tick fever. My golden retriever was having the same issue around that time of the year for her. Turns out, Her white blood cells were low. She was fighting off the infection. Antibiotics helped. Get more blood work done at another vet.

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 3rd, 2017, 2:34 pm

Hmm tick fever.
We do have a slight issue with ticks and fleas. On and off they would reappear. Depending on how rapant the strays are on the street.

The vet also said it could be a tumor...but to my knowledge antibiotics shouldn't really have an impact on cancer.

She running around barking and playing etc as normal since the first shot about 2-3 weeks ago.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 3rd, 2017, 2:50 pm

bravecto working realllllllllllllllllllllllllll good for any ticks and fleas problem

no ticks and fleas for atleast 3 months

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 3rd, 2017, 3:03 pm

^^^
Dog need to go Chow Heaven ..

Start looking for a puppy ..

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » October 3rd, 2017, 3:08 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:Hmm tick fever.
We do have a slight issue with ticks and fleas. On and off they would reappear. Depending on how rapant the strays are on the street.

The vet also said it could be a tumor...but to my knowledge antibiotics shouldn't really have an impact on cancer.

She running around barking and playing etc as normal since the first shot about 2-3 weeks ago.

Just takes one infected tick to cause tick fever. So updated blood work could determine if it's that or not. Couldn't hurt.

msg1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby msg1 » October 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm

Try Mt.Hope Vet Clinic.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 3rd, 2017, 5:17 pm

OP i hope everything works out with the dog..

Rel good to see you guys putting in so much time, effort and money into your dogs. They really deserve it

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » October 3rd, 2017, 5:19 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:Guys I have a pitbull about 9 years old.
About 2-3 weeks ago we noticed that when she runs/walks she was drifting...it worsened a bit that she would be hitting the car due to her loss of balance. She couldn't balance on her two hind legs when she jumped up against a wall,she fell over on herself. She lost slight function in her jaw so eating and drinking was a bit difficult for her.

So we carried her to the vet. Said all her vitals etc were normal so he gave her a worm out shot and some antibiotics. She immediately showed improvements and she was back to normal within two days. In fact from that very same day she showed improvements. He perscribed some medication that she's on still to this day. I think it has about a week left of tablets etc. But shes completely normal now.

A few months ago probably around march or so she had bloodwork and scans done etc and it didnt show anything. This was because she was still calling even tho she was spayed. Turned out that a small piece of her whomb remained that had her slightly menstruating. That was rectified.

Anyone knows what could have been the cause of this? Anything I should look out for?
Thanks.

Check for ear infection, severe infections here would affect balance.

Happened to my pit

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 3rd, 2017, 6:02 pm

hydroep wrote:Had a Doberman mix that used to get that off and on. Sometimes it was bad and she would curl up in an embryonic position, "paralyzed" for a few minutes. Then all was normal again.

Battery of tests, they never found the problem. Finally one day she became totally paralyzed from the neck down. Vet theorized it was some sort of brain/ spinal issue but they couldn't do anything about it.

Dobe's are prone to a condition called Wobblers disease, happens when cervical vertebrae lose cartialge & the bones start to fuse together, putting pressure in the spinal cord in the neck. Not a good way to go out. It's genetic, & poor breeding is the primary cause.

OP, going by what you posted It could be either a very bad lateral ear infection or something affecting her CNS. If it's an ear infection, rub the ears at the base & listen to hear if there's anything squishy making noise, & look inside & see if there's any yellow/green discharge. If there is, dose with broad spectrum antibiotics for about 4 weeks straight, keep the her out of the rain/water, & keep the ear up/open so air can help to evaporate any moisture inside. Symptoms may reduce, but depending on how bad & where it is in the ear it may be a chronic condition.
If it's a CNS issue, start with x-rays of the skull & cervical spine & hips, & if nothing shows in the c/spine images it's likely originating from higher up, & most likely incurable.

devrat
12 pounds of Boost

Postby devrat » October 3rd, 2017, 6:11 pm

My cocker spaniel (1 year old) started to exhibit similar symptoms, running with the kids and suddenly collapse for a minute or so.....then recover. Sometimes he just stood still and his front legs would slide apart, again for a minute or so.
His vet is Kriyaan and he immediately knew the problem was a toad. I later discovered a huge toad sitting in his water bowl and eating his dog chow. I gave him charcoal tablets and now he's fine. In fact he and the toad are buddies.

Average
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Average » October 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Monkey Man wrote:pal i hope she recover from this. but it looked like she get a real dread beat out from another bigger dog.

side to side thing is happen when you doing it right

Aye, you eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » October 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm

devrat wrote:My cocker spaniel (1 year old) started to exhibit similar symptoms, running with the kids and suddenly collapse for a minute or so.....then recover. Sometimes he just stood still and his front legs would slide apart, again for a minute or so.
His vet is Kriyaan and he immediately knew the problem was a toad. I later discovered a huge toad sitting in his water bowl and eating his dog chow. I gave him charcoal tablets and now he's fine. In fact he and the toad are buddies.

Always good to have charcoal tablets around concerning your dog. Also Olive Oil. A spoonful should help them bring up anything they might have trouble digesting.

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » October 3rd, 2017, 6:59 pm

That's old dog vestibular disease.. not life threatening or anything it usually lasts a few days.. no worries.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 3rd, 2017, 7:48 pm

snypaz wrote:
devrat wrote:My cocker spaniel (1 year old) started to exhibit similar symptoms, running with the kids and suddenly collapse for a minute or so.....then recover. Sometimes he just stood still and his front legs would slide apart, again for a minute or so.

Always good to have charcoal tablets around concerning your dog. Also Olive Oil. A spoonful should help them bring up anything they might have trouble digesting.

also, a shovel, to splatter dem blasted crapaud & scrape dem up & get rid of them
taught my boys to disregard dem ting, but I still eh taking no chances

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 3rd, 2017, 7:51 pm

88sins wrote:
hydroep wrote:Had a Doberman mix that used to get that off and on. Sometimes it was bad and she would curl up in an embryonic position, "paralyzed" for a few minutes. Then all was normal again.

Dobe's are prone to a condition called Wobblers disease, happens when cervical vertebrae lose cartialge & the bones start to fuse together, putting pressure in the spinal cord in the neck. Not a good way to go out. It's genetic, & poor breeding is the primary cause.

Yeah, poor girl suffered at the end. Thanks for the info...didn't know about this. Don't recall the vet mentioning it as a possibility either.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 3rd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Most vets wouldn't. Only experienced vets familiar with the breed would recognize it on sight.
& unfortunately, there really aren't that many Dobes in T&T, much less ones that get regular vet visits

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » October 3rd, 2017, 8:45 pm

yup,,,a month ago my 17 year old collapsed , stretched out.... thought that was it......but today he walking but cannot get up on his own,,,, doing better,,,,i am not sure if two other wild ass dogs i have ran into him....thought he'd be paralysed permanently

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 3rd, 2017, 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys :D

Turns out today was her last day on the prescription. It's finished as of now.
So i'll be monitoring her.
Played with her today and she running/jumping/walking like normal.

BTW what tips you all have on dealing with a dog with Coprophagia (Dog eating toots). My rott is about the same age is the pitt and she have this condition since she a pup...never stopped. Other day it had some dog sheit in the yard and by the time I go for the shovel to clean it up it gone :sick:

She really slim too...but the vet say she's better that size because they prone to hip dysplasia.

streetbeastINC. wrote:yup,,,a month ago my 17 year old collapsed , stretched out.... thought that was it......but today he walking but cannot get up on his own,,,, doing better,,,,i am not sure if two other wild ass dogs i have ran into him....thought he'd be paralysed permanently

Woa 17 years?!
How's he physically at that age?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 4th, 2017, 5:45 am

Ronaldo95163 wrote:rmal.

BTW what tips you all have on dealing with a dog with Coprophagia (Dog eating toots). My rott is about the same age is the pitt and she have this condition since she a pup...never stopped. Other day it had some dog sheit in the yard and by the time I go for the shovel to clean it up it gone :sick:

She really slim too...but the vet say she's better that size because they prone to hip dysplasia.

You should have remedied this a long time ago, because now it's a learned habit she's developed so it will be harder to stop. But try this too.
Give the animal a thorough de-worming, & feed a proper ration of high quality food. try feeding 2-3 smaller rations throughout the day, clean up all stools as soon as they drop even remove the dog from the area they defecated. Rotties are healthy eaters. poor diet or not enough food especially if they have worms will have them constantly hungry & willing to eat literally anything.
And you keeping the animal slim because a vet told you they prone to hip dysplasia makes absolutely zero sense without confirming for sure if she actually is prone to it. unless the vet did x-rays of hips & knees & sent them to OFA for verification. Going forward, feed d dog a proper ration after a good de-worming, & start a de-worming regimen every 3 months for about 2 years should be sufficient.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 4th, 2017, 6:02 am

88sins wrote:
Ronaldo95163 wrote:rmal.

You should have remedied this a long time ago, because now it's a learned habit she's developed so it will be harder to stop. But try this too.
Give the animal a thorough de-worming, & feed a proper ration of high quality food. try feeding 2-3 smaller rations throughout the day, clean up all stools as soon as they drop even remove the dog from the area they defecated. Rotties are healthy eaters. poor diet or not enough food especially if they have worms will have them constantly hungry & willing to eat literally anything.
And you keeping the animal slim because a vet told you they prone to hip dysplasia makes absolutely zero sense without confirming for sure if she actually is prone to it. unless the vet did x-rays of hips & knees & sent them to OFA for verification. Going forward, feed d dog a proper ration after a good de-worming, & start a de-worming regimen every 3 months for about 2 years should be sufficient.

Your Rott have worms ..

And you not feeding it proper food hence slim and sick .

Dogs need meat .. Dog Chow is a "filler" - read the ingredients .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 4th, 2017, 7:15 am

Ronaldo how do I get my dog to clean up after himself like yours?

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » October 4th, 2017, 10:29 am

Well we normally give them chow together with the meat, rice etc
She not skin and bones or anything but just not buff like some rots. All our other dogs hefty.

Tried everything you all said wrt getting her to stop but nothing does ever work. To this date is still a rush to clean up after her as she drop a load.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”