Mechman alternators !! please read

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Mechman alternators !! please read

Postby Proaudio » September 16th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Good day all,
some time ago i aways was getting problems with my panel van current. I eventually came across noyztoyz ad where he boast about the mechman alternator. I was immediately ready to go mechman. I contacted eesa wahid and he gave me an estimate of $6500 for the alternator and i have to do it by his installer. Electro in d'habadie was his electrician.
the electricain name was darren. He told me because is a diesel vehicle, it would cost me $9000 to install and put whatever pulleys he have to put. well since the 370/400amp alternator was installed, it just went down hill. I fedup spent $$ on regulators and all kinna things that just kept on burning in the alternator. i decided to contact mechman directly. i have the emails to prove it if anyone wants to see it.
the contact from mechman was as follows:

Matthew Young

(865)522-6166

1-888-MECHMAN

http://www.mechman.com

http://www.billetalternator.com

http://www.trucktoughalternators.com

Mathew advised that the alternator was old stock and a discontinued item that was sold to me/. they said eesa only bought parts and mabe build his own alternators.
so my experience with mechman was that the alternator eventually burned down and i almost lost my vehicle. If any one wants any info about this , feel free to contact me. Mechman alternators will burn down your vehicle, i am warning you., it hurt me to spend so much $$ on the alternator and all i got was trouble and pain.
I am in no way discrediting eesa, but the alterntor needs to be taken very seriously, it could cause grave problems.
so eventually all this bachannal turned me off and i decided to get the courage and share this with everybody.
Feel free to contact me for any info that you all may need.

If you all want, i will meet eesa in person and confront him, and bassline audio too had a part to play in this. but dont worry, i moved on and forget this, but just remember, God dont sleep. I swear all this here is true and if you want me confront them i would. just let me know.

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Mechman alternators !! please read

Postby kurpal_v2 » September 17th, 2014, 4:53 am

$9000 to install an alternator?

I'm in the wrong profession

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » September 17th, 2014, 5:58 am

Lard look at $$!

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 17th, 2014, 6:19 am

Lawd.

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » September 17th, 2014, 6:24 am

next time get ah nissan tiida alternator 140A :D

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 6:50 am

This was disappointing to see, i would like you to post what vehicle you have and your name.

Mechman's 400a unit was eventually discontinued i believe in 2012/2013 and replaced with their 370a Steve Meade elite series, because it had a higher failure rate than the other models, it has its limitations which are clearly outlined to anyone who purchased one.
We acquired replacement parts for all and keep in stock as part of promised service to our customers. That doesnt mean that we 'build' alternators here.. all the alts come in sealed boxes with birthsheets from mechman themselves.. nice try

IIRC you came to us, stating you had option for one alternator, and you wanted to have the most capable one put in, so you decided to go with a 400a unit, after you were made aware of the limitations.

Stating that a regulator 'burning' in your alternator will cause your vehicle to "burn" or catch fire is just stupid. This never happened in your vehicle.
There are over 20 vehicles in Trinidad running mechman's 400a alternators. 3 have suffered problems, of which you are one, the others were sorted out

It is also wrong to come and claim you were charged 9000 to install your alternator, this is not true. You should state that you had electric brake pump installed and its cost, electric fan conversion, flat belt conversion, any knowledgable reader here would know the costs in these things, A good brake pump alone is 3000..

We have over 10 L300 vans on the road with mechman installs, we have one running over 700a of installed alternator power, and doing another for 800a at the moment.

I see this as a well timed attempt to discredit the brand from a dealer - customer relationship gone sour, over a year ago..

I always Let every customer know that a high output alternator is a must for higher powered systems, but it could be the most troublesome piece of audio equipment they ever put into their vehicle, but we are here to support by making parts and service available, and you can ask the many competitors out there whether i support them or not.

I wish you luck with your new alternator installer, and when the vehicle problems are sorted out, do post a clamp test on your new alternator setup, and post what amperage alternators you paid for..

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 17th, 2014, 7:20 am

well now that changes everything.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » September 17th, 2014, 7:30 am

3 sides to a story. Hard luck OP. Less sympathy now.....

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 17th, 2014, 7:53 am

quick google shows

The 400a unit is designed for SPL competition as a secondary unit, primarily for use above 1500rpm engine speed.

Idle output is not an issue with this unit as we do not intend this to be used in a single-alternator application. This unit is a secondary that is intended to be used in charging a battery bank separate from the existing electronics.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 17th, 2014, 7:58 am

Clearly the seller is passing off these alternators as daily driven alternators when they are probably geared and designed for SPL type use.

boyztoyz strikes again. Total wanker.

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 8:43 am

Good day,
So you remembered me very clearly. thats good. Guess what, you all did not install the electronic brake pump , thats the thing, so it was costing $16000 with the brake pump, so i didnt install it. all darren put was 2 ac fans to cool a diesel engine, imagine that, ac fans, no wonder my engine overheated all over on the hiway when the install was completed. so the $9000 was for 3 pulleys, 2 ac fans, relays, bracket, installation and wiring.
how many times i had to call you to tell you the bracket kept braking, over 10 times, it was so fustrating, and every time i went back, they charged me to fix. i changed every thing in the alternator including regulator mant times.
i have proof of every thing eesa, be careful of what you are saying, you really want me post up the emails from mechman??
if it reaches to that i will.
and all the whats app messages.

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 8:48 am

My alternator did not catch fire?Essa you serious? you know what you saying. my engine bay caught fire and burnted up the engine bay area. i had an extinguisher always in the vehicle. i had to rewire the engine. you know what you put me through that day, no you dont. By the grace of god what i went through was tramatic and i have moved on now.
I eventually catch back myself and did over every thing and no problems since, never had a problem after with my new brand of alternator. and installation cost my $600. that included a pulley and belt. thats all, simple and sweet. not no bachannal thing.

xeon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby xeon » September 17th, 2014, 8:53 am

Wow, thats alot of money. Not to discredit Mechman but shouldnt there be warranty on these? Also as Lance stated the 400amp is for competition and not for daily use.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 17th, 2014, 9:14 am

I think you should post everything. Pics, whatsapp messages and emails.

It's time that people start taking accountability for the advice and products they sell

nemram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nemram » September 17th, 2014, 9:31 am

Just some questions to understand and learn some lessons about your situation OP..

1. Are you saying installation was an issue...? As brackets keep breaking and cost was so high.
2. Is the van a daily driver...? You say you keep overheating on highway.
3. Did the mechman alt replace the stock alternator with vacuum lines? You said a new booster needed.
4. Am I right to say electric fans because they used the crank pulley to drive alternator..?
5. To your knowledge was the pulley sized correctly to avoid mechanical failure due to overdrive...?
6. Were u informed of near 30% problem rate with specific alternator by seller..?

I not disputing your position... I am curious to not go through your unfortunate circumstances.

BaseLine Audio.
Riding on 13's
Location: #58 Bambo Settlement #2 Curepe, Trinidad and Tobago.

Postby BaseLine Audio. » September 17th, 2014, 9:41 am

mr sankar how was baseline audio involve in your plight we did nothing for you jus look at your install, oh and looking forward to meeting you in the very near future ???????

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 10:04 am

Ricardo, the last I heard from you was many months ago, You were supposed to remove the alt from the vehicle and get it to me for repair, load testing and subsequent guarantee, You never came about to do that, i couldnt come grande to service your alternator??

it seems that you had problems with the install and wiring of the alt, the electric fans and the overheating, i cannot account for that, that is a well known auto electricians garage, that a lot of vehicles have been through and came out well,
I have 3 installers currently i recommend to install alts, their prices people pay are independent of me. All problems you had with your alt occurred after warranty period was over and i did try to assist you whenever you contacted me.

if you came initially and said you wanted one alt and willing to sacrifice power for more durability, i would have sold you a 200 or 240a alternator, not a 400, and you would have been well today with no problems.
You have a system well over 20000 watts that wasn't a daily driver, that is why i tried to give you the best power you could have get for one alternator slot, which was the 400a alternator.

It was only twice i remember servicing your alternator, one was to replace an internal reg, then the second was to upgrade to external reg. You never said that the alt caught fire before, you never sent a picture of a burnt scorched alt (do you have that). ? a wiring issue in your vehicle caused a fire and harness damage. Still that is not me that is between you and the installer of your alt.

You have now downgraded to a very much lower power alternator and seem to be happy.
Like i said if you wanted that in the beginning you could have get that.
Others out there arent happy running a 20000rms + system and a 200amp (clamped) alternator, therefore playing low voltage music.

Thats why we have l300s that were done to do 600a clamped of alternator power with respective installation costs, now enjoying higher voltages.

Running any high performance alternator on a v belt engine take a lot of skill and requires collaboration between a fabricator, machine shop, electrician, and the dealer for the alt, its not one person; and one man cannot answer for another man's work.
You never made the sacrifice and come to me to get the alternator repaired, we never met once,

the emails from mechman say what? they cc all to me their dealer, i know every single person locally who email mechman, you reported a problem with a 400alt one year after it was discontinued. You forced mechman to speculate, read below,
Customers who get problems with mechman alts get cost price on parts and free service most of the times. Had you get your alt to me, i would have sorted it for you, and it wouldnt have to reach this.

Anyway just remember i cannot account for any man's work, thats between you and him, i could only account for my product.

Ricardo-

We do not currently manufacture a 400 amp alternator, they were discontinued about 2 years ago.

Originally, the 400 amp unit was sold for SPL competition use ONLY- and it was made very clear that it was NOT to be used in a street driven vehicle, as it would overheat and fail if it was run at full output for more than 5 minutes at a time. It was also made very clear when we sold those units, that they make ZERO output at idle on most installations. Many of our customers (and dealers, apparently) disregarded that warning, and tried to use them for longer than 5 minute bursts, which would almost always result in an overheated unit. That, or they would complain that it did not charge at idle, even though we told them up front that the unit would not charge at idle. To eliminate the headaches and our reputation being damaged by people who would not read the warnings, we just discontinued them all together. We now offer 370 amp Elite series alternators that make 200 amps at idle, and can be run for extended periods of time without overheating. Of course, these units are more expensive due to the more expensive design and internal components, so many people opt to but less expensive alternatives.

As far as what Eesa sold you, I cannot say for certain what it is. It is possible that it is an old-stock alternator that Eesa has had on the shelf for a couple years, or it could be something that he pieced together with parts that he has ordered. I will copy Eesa on this e-mail so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

Matthew Young

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » September 17th, 2014, 10:18 am

Gets more interesting.....

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:24 am

why you edit the email essa? let me show the people which parts you left out. Look bachannal now. did you or did you not cut out part of the email essa?
why did you cut out the main part. Let me show you the main parts .

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:27 am

Feb 6

to mlogan

Good day Sir,

My name is ricardo . I am from trinidad. i purchased a mechman 400 amp alternator from the dealer in trinidad called Eesa Wahid. Since the alternator was installed, it kept malfunctioning every time. I carried it back to him on many occasions and they said that i would need to convert it to an external regulated type, so they installed the blue box external regulator on it. After that , the alternator keeps on giving problems still. This alternator is new the amount of trouble it gave is very unacceptable.

the alternator does not have any marking on it saying its a mechman alternator. Essa said it is a 400 amp alternator .

Please advise me .

I await you prompt response.

thanks.

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:29 am

TIME FOR WETTING NOW
ITS WETTING TIME, LETS GO!!!!!

Feb 7

to Matthew

Good day,

Thank you very much for the information.

I called Eesa and advised him on what you said and he told me that the 400 amp alternator could be use in everyday street vehicles like my vehicle because I would not be drawing 400 amps at one time hence it will not damage the alternator.

He also advised me that if the stator is burnt, all he have to do is change the stator to a 350 amp stator and that will solve the overheating problem. I will be able to use the vehicle everyday also as before.

I paid a lot of money for this alternator and never got to use it for a good period because of problems from the day of purchase. I also have another partner who purchased 1 400 amp alternator also and his alternator is not working right now but he has given up on Mechman because of the many problems he had in the past.

Please advise me on what to do because I am really fist rated with this recurring problem. Do I have to count my thousands of Dollars lost ?

Please help.

Thanks you.

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:33 am

ESSA, GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS???
LET ME HELP YOU, ITS WETTING TIME. LETS GO!!!!

We do not currently manufacture a 400 amp alternator, they were discontinued about 2 years ago.
Originally, the 400 amp unit was sold for SPL competition use ONLY- and it was made very clear that it was NOT to be used in a street driven vehicle, as it would overheat and fail if it was run at full output for more than 5 minutes at a time. It was also made very clear when we sold those units, that they make ZERO output at idle on most installations. Many of our customers (and dealers, apparently) disregarded that warning, and tried to use them for longer than 5 minute bursts, which would almost always result in an overheated unit. That, or they would complain that it did not charge at idle, even though we told them up front that the unit would not charge at idle. To eliminate the headaches and our reputation being damaged by people who would not read the warnings, we just discontinued them all together. We now offer 370 amp Elite series alternators that make 200 amps at idle, and can be run for extended periods of time without overheating. Of course, these units are more expensive due to the more expensive design and internal components, so many people opt to but less expensive alternatives.

As far as what Eesa sold you, I cannot say for certain what it is. This is not the first time I have heard complaints from customers in Trinidad complaining that the 400 amp alternator was sold to them as if it could be used in a normal manner on a street driven vehicle. It is possible that it is an old-stock alternator that Eesa has had on the shelf for a couple years, or it could be something that he pieced together with parts that he has ordered. I will copy Eesa on this e-mail so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

Matthew Young

(865)522-6166

1-888-MECHMAN

http://www.mechman.com

http://www.billetalternator.com

http://www.trucktoughalternators.com

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:34 am

WETTING AFTER WETTING, LET ME KNOW WHEN TO SEND MORE ESSA

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 10:46 am

You never met me? what is this. I came by you gasparillo to collect the alternator from repairs and as i hook it up, it stop working again. how many times you want me fix something i paid so much for. its just a limit to fix. what about the ext regulator burning too? what about the stator faulty too/. how many times u want me to keep fixin it. ????? how many times?

Bassline audio, why would i want to meet u?
your turn will come up just now. ITS YOUR TIME TO GET WET.

Sale of faulty equipment. hmmmm, does it ring a bell? you really want to go there >> ??

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » September 17th, 2014, 10:56 am

Noyztoyz for that great aftersales service :lol:

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 11:05 am

i never edited anything
this is the exact email i copied and paste, someone else doing the editing,
the limitations on the 400a alternator you were made aware of when you bought it 1-2 years ago, i describe this to all customers who bought the 400a unit.
You continued to have problems with the alt i'm glad you contacted mechman if you were not happy with what i was making available.
Like Matthew said, that 400a alternator was giving them a bad name so they discontinued it.
I made their product avialable and tried my best on servicing every time you need. I cannot remember ever meeting you still

I never edited anything so wet someone else

i have sold alts to over 200 customers in trinidad , some have problems, the majority dont, i try my best to help everyone, sometimes things go sour you can rant and rave,
face the facts, almost all first place vehicles in the arena now are running mechman alts i could make a long list,

enjoy your low voltage music now and be sure to post a clamp test fail video of your new alt.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 17th, 2014, 11:22 am

The biggest failure here is mechman. Continues to let his line be discredited and mishandled by a shady dealer.

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 11:30 am

says an under-achievor. who hears?

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 17th, 2014, 11:35 am

noyztoyz wrote:says an under-achievor. who hears?

What is an under-achievOR?

If you mean underachiever, then you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to.

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 11:49 am

OP as a man and as you were a customer, i am really sorry that you had the difficulties with the alternator and the install and things didnt work out how we had it initially envisioned. but i never duck you, i always tried to help you and you know that, and i wish you luck with the vehicle.

I still do not think you should attempt to discredit the entire brand for this.

Some models of the alternators do have higher failure rates and special conditions for use than others and we make it clear to them all before purchase and install.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”