Short/long term investments/retirement policies etc advise

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Short/long term investments/retirement policies etc advise

Postby AllTrac » March 5th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Warning: Big people talk.

Guys i wanted to make this thread about investments packages and various policies including retirement/pension etc.
I know some of you have good advise and already have some good long/short term investments going as its always smart thinking to have a nice little nest egg and i have always held the belief that money should make money, having a tall bank account is robbing yourself.
Hopefully those financial brains on here could also critique and find the loopholes with the plans and packages mentioned.

Im currently looking at various retirement/pension package to supplement what my job offers.
What I can tell those looking for the same is Maritime has a nice little policy called REAP.
It works on a 6% projected interest rate and you can set the maturity date. Coupled with their Admed critical illness plan, its pretty solid and has a built in savings plan call Triflex. Ofcourse it all looks good on paper
Sagicor has a retirement package that matures at 65 years and works at a 2.5% interest.

Any other you guys can comment on?
Also what are some short term stable investments that we can look into?

janfar
punchin NOS

Re: Short/long term investments/retirement policies etc advi

Postby janfar » March 5th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Honestly... the best thing is to try to open a small business and invest in that because the security of all these banks are a gamble (CLICO, HCU). I always see solid investments being better... buy property, build apartments... go for a big mortgage... when paid off you have easy money coming in and I believe you would be able to retire comfortably on that.

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » March 5th, 2013, 1:07 pm

I see opportunity for agents, blitz activity and slander.

Good intent bad idea on 2NR.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » March 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm

i have TISP from Republic it help reduce my taxes and it is an annuity plan..
But imho the rate of inflation is sometimes so high that your money might be devalued the time u retire.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » March 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Conrad wrote:I see opportunity for agents, blitz activity and slander.

Good thing the OP is a mod...

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » March 5th, 2013, 1:12 pm

1UZFE wrote:i have TISP from Republic it help reduce my taxes and it is an annuity plan..
But imho the rate of inflation is sometimes so high that your money might be devalued the time u retire.

i also have TISP, but remember the banks are not registered to pay pension, so they gonna have to take a hefty sum when its time to pay out

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » March 5th, 2013, 1:12 pm

anyone selling you a financial product or service, ask to see their financial resume, if they ain't got money of their own they ain't worth advising you

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » March 5th, 2013, 1:14 pm

you mean as with any question ever asked on an online forums on the internet?

you must be great and wise.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » March 5th, 2013, 1:20 pm

AllTrac wrote:
1UZFE wrote:i have TISP from Republic it help reduce my taxes and it is an annuity plan..

i also have TISP, but remember the banks are not registered to pay pension, so they gonna have to take a hefty sum when its time to pay out

No trac...
If the policy matures you dont have to pay taxes or menial taxes..

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » March 5th, 2013, 1:55 pm

AllTrac wrote:

you mean as with any question ever asked on an online forums on the internet?

you must be great and wise.

No, I mean with 2NR's track record and Duane insisting that there must be no slander, paying powersellers etc.

Find a better forum for such discussion OP. Moderator or not.

I'm with Sagicor pay-up @ 65 btw. After searching a few org for annuities I find theirs was relatively simple to understand and confirm what the agent was telling me, and there were less instances of "if xxx occur..."

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » March 5th, 2013, 2:00 pm

yours registered with BIR?

[X]~Outlaw
Riding on 16's

Postby [X]~Outlaw » March 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I agree with janfar...invest in a business of your own. It's a lot more work but that way you have way more control of your investment than trusting it to some financial institute that could just belly up.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 5th, 2013, 2:22 pm

AllTrac wrote:Warning: Big people talk.

Guys i wanted to make this thread about investments packages and various policies including retirement/pension etc.
I know some of you have good advise and already have some good long/short term investments going as its always smart thinking to have a nice little nest egg and i have always held the belief that money should make money, having a tall bank account is robbing yourself.
Hopefully those financial brains on here could also critique and find the loopholes with the plans and packages mentioned.

Im currently looking at various retirement/pension package to supplement what my job offers.
What I can tell those looking for the same is Maritime has a nice little policy called REAP.
It works on a 6% projected interest rate and you can set the maturity date. Coupled with their Admed critical illness plan, its pretty solid and has a built in savings plan call Triflex. Ofcourse it all looks good on paper
Sagicor has a retirement package that matures at 65 years and works at a 2.5% interest.

Maritime AdMed + Triflex + REAP is good! Especially if you own your own business and work for yourself as this becomes your pension plan and your safety net if you get ill or in an accident and can't work.

check Ms. Baddaloo 789-0469 @ MARITIME

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 5th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Life Expectancy for men in Trinidad is 66.34 years. Why you all taking an annuity that matures at 65?

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » March 5th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Life Expectancy for men in Trinidad is 66.34 years. Why you all taking an annuity that matures at 65?

Because a lot of us aren't involved in a life of crime which can shorten ones mortality from a family average of 75 to 25 (if they dodge enough shots in their teens). :lol:

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » March 5th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Maritime AdMed + Triflex + REAP is good! Especially if you own your own business and work for yourself as this becomes your pension plan and your safety net if you get ill or in an accident and can't work.

What do you have to say about putting all of ones eggs in a single basket?

No one has nightmares about their insurance company of choice pulling a Clico?

TRAE
punchin NOS

Postby TRAE » March 5th, 2013, 3:19 pm

i also agree with janfar, invest in a personal business if you can--- thats what i working towards, otherwise ensure that you have a reliable pension plan, medicare for future mishaps, and life insurance for family members ( i know a few of us here have oman and chirren). the business venture at least puts u in charge of the odds of losing or gaining.

Trim
Street 2NR

Postby Trim » March 5th, 2013, 3:38 pm

i really like this post. I was wondering however, has anyone every invested in ansa merchant bank? their mutual funds that is. if you have, what are your views on the returns etc.

trinigamer
Trinituner Peong

Postby trinigamer » March 5th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Trim wrote:i really like this post. I was wondering however, has anyone every invested in ansa merchant bank? their mutual funds that is. if you have, what are your views on the returns etc.

I have some in their TT$ mutual fund, pays 2.75%. Better than UTC (1.25%) and most other banks (Republic 1%, FCB 1.4%). Roytrin also has a good return, but is slightly more risky I believe.

jaceson
Street 2NR

Postby jaceson » March 5th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Set your goals wrt what you want, then look around on whats available. As markets change, investments change.

If the returns are high, please remember that your investment will be faced with high risk. IMO you shouldn't invest more that 10% (or depending on your appetite) of your total investment in those vehicles and it should be for SHORT TERM. For example, if you set a return on investment and you reach it, you should liquidate.

Investments backed by Govt Bonds are typically good cover for inflation although it would not protect you fully.

Keep about 6 month worth of your expenses in near cash form, such as bank account, unit trust, etc

ANSA seems to be a good investment and the composition of their funds seems to mixed well. Most likely their corp bonds are ANSA based and the group is still performing well.

Diversify your investment as much as possible.

The best investment is still land tho if you can get it at the right price.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 5th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Conrad wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

And what one basket might that be?

It's his choice - but there is no other way to get major medical coverage in that way than through an insurance company.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » March 5th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I've got a couple things in place, annuity in Algico and another policy in Guardian Life. I'm also looking for somewhere I can stash away some cash for future business planning but with better interest than UT, any ideas where I could get some good rates and easy access to my cash when needed?

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » March 5th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Avoid putting all your eggs in one basket. That doesn’t just mean avoid investing all ur assets with one company; it means don’t only invest in insurance policies.
Get a financial advisor who is registered with the SEC (www.ttsec.org) to advise you. We don’t find it hard to pay a doctor to see abt our health or a mechanic to see abt our cars, so we shouldn’t find it hard to pay a professional to help plan for ur retirement and financial security.

Depending on how much income you plan to save, u should consider building an investment portfolio of stocks and bonds. Stocks sound risky but provide the best hedge against inflation. Bonds can provide a fixed source of income for retirement years. Generally an investor with a long time to retirement (20-30 years) starts off with a high amount of stocks (50-70% depending on how risky you are). As you get closer to retirement, the equity amount is decreased and bond allocation is increased.

Deferred annuities are a good option that helps reduce ur taxes now, but be sure to read the fine print. I took out one with GHL some years aback and for the first 2 years, they took 50% of my contributions as fees. The TISP and Futurecash products may have less fees. Good thing abt the TISP is that u can set it to mature from as early as age 50. When it matures they give u all the interest earned, plus 25% of ur contributions, tax free. The rest goes into buying an annuity.

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » March 5th, 2013, 5:00 pm

ive recently got Maritime AdMed + Triflex + REAP its the best out there.

They have the highest interest rate of 6% although it is not guaranteed.

got a lot of documentation with it as well (which i haven't finished reading)

RapToR
punchin NOS
Location: Wholesaler & Reseller --- FREE Delivery<--Almost Anywhere!

Postby RapToR » March 5th, 2013, 5:11 pm

invest in oil stock

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 5th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Shares,mutual funds,real estate,US Currency,Gold.

RapToR
punchin NOS
Location: Wholesaler & Reseller --- FREE Delivery<--Almost Anywhere!

Postby RapToR » March 5th, 2013, 5:19 pm

anyone knows a good stock broker ?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm

I see that all the plans posted have a 2.5 % to 6% interest rate

if our inflation rate is more than 10% (i believe its 12% at end of 2012?)

aren't you losing money anyway by having it in these different investment plans?

correct me if i`m wrong.

bluesteel29
Shifting into 6th

Postby bluesteel29 » March 5th, 2013, 5:27 pm

start stackin gold and silver bricks :|

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » March 5th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Conrad wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

And what one basket might that be?

It's his choice - but there is no other way to get major medical coverage in that way than through an insurance company.

I meant putting annuity with medical and life. God forbid when ur 55 and almost ready to retire the company goes belly up youre left with no coverage, hell, the news may affect your health and you wont be able to work or get any form of aid. Similar to all those elderly people or retirees who were left with nothing.

Also, it's hard to move a long-term investment like a pension plan from one company to the other without suffering some serious penalties. The best you may get is a gaurantee on the cash investment (something to look for when shopping) but even then inflation wouldve licked you up.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”