TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » October 22nd, 2020, 9:06 pm

There was some back and forth on that 2.8 vs 3.0 topic right ITT back in 2016. Really good info was passed.

Dunno bout you guys, but I cant fathom the thought of plunking down $385k on a pickup (over 400k with insurance) that toting less than a $150k Hyundai h100. With the absence of the bar behind the cab for longer objects like steel, lumber, PVC and ladders etc, those vans are just toys.

And investing on a body on frame vehicle with rear drum brakes and a solid axle rear suspension riding on leaf springs, does not exactly promise a smooth and comfortable ride and should not be considered as a main family vehicle.

Ride in the backseat of a rav4 all the way to toco from say San Fernando and then try same route with a hilux or any similar vehicle in their respective classes. Come back here and report the obvious, which is, vans suck in ride quality and your spine will thank you.

I rather take 385k and buy a loaded CRV or even take the CX5 and have change to spare. But that's just me.

Just my $0.02

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 22nd, 2020, 9:06 pm

Yeah true. But as I said, I dont know for sure whether any fuel samples were sent... Im just stating what I was told.
PariaMan wrote:Initially toyota trinidad was selling the new model with the old 3.0 engine while the grey market was already selling the new model with the newer 2.8 engine

They tried to discourage people from the grey market by claiming the 2.8 was not suited to our diesel
carluva wrote:Don't follow.
PariaMan wrote:That was a convo designed to discourage purchasing from the grey market

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

Agent, truth be told, in a family I believe a van is a good vehicle to have while the other vehicle is the "family" drive.

I've always been dwelling on the possibility of parting with my 2014 Rav4 which I had from new, in favour of a van, and yes a hilux. My logic is that the other vehicle, the fortuner, us the family ride so the van will come in handy especially as it's the ride that only one person will drive. Also, I have a great Toyota tech who services my vehicles and getting a next Toyota will save me the personal hassle of having to find someone good on the outside. So for me a hilux would make sense...

.... But, that price point in killer for a van!!!! That is the huge-est turnoff for me and one that detracts me from buying one. So I'll just rally out for the while unless the price point for a mid spec is good for the features that one will get.

Of course you know what's the appeal with Hilux..... It's heavily customisable for off road and goodness knows how many simply buy for the look of a kitted out 4x4 vs the true function.
agent007 wrote:There was some back and forth on that 2.8 vs 3.0 topic right ITT back in 2016. Really good info was passed.

Dunno bout you guys, but I cant fathom the thought of plunking down $385k on a pickup (over 400k with insurance) that toting less than a $150k Hyundai h100. With the absence of the bar behind the cab for longer objects like steel, lumber, PVC and ladders etc, those vans are just toys.

And investing on a body on frame vehicle with rear drum brakes and a solid axle rear suspension riding on leaf springs, does not exactly promise a smooth and comfortable ride and should not be considered as a main family vehicle.

Ride in the backseat of a rav4 all the way to toco from say San Fernando and then try same route with a hilux or any similar vehicle in their respective classes. Come back here and report the obvious, which is, vans suck in ride quality and your spine will thank you.

I rather take 385k and buy a loaded CRV or even take the CX5 and have change to spare. But that's just me.

Just my $0.02

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 23rd, 2020, 12:07 am

Kevin Ramnarine predicted that super price will not change but diesel might go to over 6.00

A new diesel pickup with fuel so high seems questionable unless it's being used for work purposes that a gasoline vehicle cannot do

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » October 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am

PariaMan wrote:Kevin Ramnarine predicted that super price will not change but diesel might go to over 6.00

A new diesel pickup with fuel so high seems questionable unless it's being used for work purposes that a gasoline vehicle cannot do

Didn’t the douen say CNG and diesel would be subsidized still when the gas stations sell

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

So there's a vehicle that has been discounted by $66,000. Yes you read that correctly!

Meet the 2020 Jeep Compass Longitude 1.4T

Ever dreamt of owning an iconic American SUV brand?

Well for $299k you now can!
20200619_104636.jpeg
20200619_104708.jpeg
FB_IMG_1602729431068.jpeg
FB_IMG_1602729433592.jpeg

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 23rd, 2020, 1:03 pm

Looks good
agent007 wrote:So there's a vehicle that has been discounted by $66,000. Yes you read that correctly!

20200619_104708.jpeg
20200619_104636.jpeg

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » October 24th, 2020, 6:09 am

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » October 24th, 2020, 12:47 pm

agent007 wrote:So there's a vehicle that has been discounted by $66,000. Yes you read that correctly!

20200619_104708.jpeg
20200619_104636.jpeg
That stock finished...but they have for 309k now.

MDtuner70
Sweet on this forum

Postby MDtuner70 » October 26th, 2020, 1:46 am

MDtuner70 wrote:
Capleton wrote:
MDtuner70 wrote:
agent007 wrote:Well toyota owns a portion of subaru and massy has the STi for $700k or you can get the CTR for $550k and Honda is just as big in the dance like Toyota.

I have a prado under by belt already, which means my budget for the the pocket rocket very tight. Hence I looking at the GR Yaris.

What else is there on the market that is 4wd, carrying over 250hp, holds resale value, is reliable and not too expensive to maintain ? And carrying an average price tag of around $300-$350k?

In short, nothing new out of the showroom. If you want turbocharged AWD goodness then go with a used EVO or an STi. You can probably get a good one for approx $100K, then spend another $100K on repairs and mods (i'm being very prudent with pricing, in reality it may be a whole lot cheaper) :roll: you will still be under ur initial budget of $300-$350k.

Or if you want to stay within the Toyota brand, buy a GT86 and throw a 2JZ in it lolz....

I have looked at some of these options already, the problem on my end is that I want something stock and non molested. It's really hard to find this locally and at a decent price. Almost every performance car I have viewed locally always has some issue: "car in best condition, but x,y and z not working, small thing to fix man" lol. Tired hear this. To some, these issues may be minor, but I dont have the time to fix this and that to get a car up to par. Peace of mind and fun is the ratio.

There is a lovely 4wd Levin based on a caldina with 3sgte engine for sale locally, however the fuel cell is tiny and its somewhat a Frankenstein. Only reason I considering this is because it's a Toyota (yes I'm ridiculously bias to Toyota) and I'm familiar with the Levin and 3sgte engine. I'm not really the modding type, I like out of the box performance, simply to maintain reliability and resale value amongst other things. I know it's somewhat boring in the scheme of things but that's just my taste and approach. The most I may do is wheels/tyres and music.

I'm going to dig into the GR yaris. Once I get more info regarding costs, varying models etc I'll post here. I saw people from the UK already started pre ordering them. Seems the UK/europe will be the first market after Japan to receive them.

Still appreciate all the advice and guidance fellas!

https://youtu.be/TFlpMZ56BXc

MDtuner70
Sweet on this forum

Postby MDtuner70 » October 26th, 2020, 2:16 am

https://youtu.be/PCZDDpYjjSE

This vid has more tech data.

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » October 30th, 2020, 11:24 am

$70k in taxes?? On an Ioniq???
Attachments
Screenshot_20201030-020238~2.png

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » October 30th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Checked out the Jeep Compass recently comparing to CRV.

the older model Jeep Compass was priced at $299,000 K

Jeep Compass Longitude 4x2 1.4L Turbo 7-Speed Automatic
Retail: $340,500 (Fabric interior)
$355,500 (Leather interior) “On the Road” inclusive of all taxes

Three (3) Years/100,000kM Manufacturer's Warranty
Engine - 1.4L Turbo Petrol Engine
Transmission - 7-Speed Dual Dry Clutch Automatic
Fabric Low Back Bucket Seats
GunMetal/Black Interior Accents
Air Cond Atc w/Dual Zone Control; Premium AC Air Filter
Electronic Stability Control; Electronic Roll Mitigation
Electric Park Brake; Battery RunDown Protection
Hill Start Assist; All Speed Traction Control
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes; Rain Brake Support
Front Air Bags; Side Air Bags; Fr/Rr Curtain Air Bags
Passenger AirBag On/Off Switch
Keyless Enter-N-Go; Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System; Premium Alarm
Speed Sensitive Power Locks
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Tire Pressure Monitoring Display
Auto Headlamps w/DRLs; Headlamp Levelling; Headlamp Off Time Delay
Fog & Cornering Laps; Adaptive LED Tail Lamps
Power Folding Side Mirrors w/LED Signals
Lower BodySide Cladding
Solar Control Glass; Capless Fuel Filler
17" Alloy Wheels; P225/60R17 All Season Tyres
Ambient LED Interior Lighting; Illuminated CupHolders
Front Passenger Forward Fold Flat Seat
Passenger In-Seat Storage; Rear Cargo Organizer
uConnect 7.0" Touch Screen Display; 6 Speakers
Integrated Voice Command W/Bluetooth
Apple CarPlay; Google Android Auto
Media Center Storage & Hub (SD, USB, AUX)
Bluetooth Streaming Audio
Parkview Rear Back-Up Camera
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Reverse Park Sensors
Automatic Tailgate

http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=565722

Jeep 2019 Compass RHD
mydigimag.rrd.com

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 30th, 2020, 1:47 pm

mitch1980 wrote:Checked out the Jeep Compass recently comparing to CRV.

Lower BodySide Cladding
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Reverse Park Sensors
Automatic Tailgate

Jeep 2019 Compass RHD
mydigimag.rrd.com

hey bro, those prices are way off. The 2019 model is currently priced at $309K (Fab) and $324K (Lhtr). The 2020 models are priced at $319K (Fab) and $334K (Lhtr). The $299K units are sold out, they had fabric interior and did not have the powered tail gate.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » October 30th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Ok I need help from all the car gurus here!

My wife and I have been test driving and narrowing down our choices based on what we feel comfortable paying. This is where we are at;

Sedan - Mazda 3 EX or Kia Cerato GT
CUV - Suzuki Vitara GLX or Kia Seltos

We've driven all except the Seltos (they can't seem to bring those in fast enough apparently). This is what we've found so far. Between the 3 and the Cerato the 3 feels more planted on the road and the interior blows anything else we've looked at out of the water, however, the cabin feels a little small whereas the Cerato feels peppier and a little more nimble...almost feels a little too light for me though. The cabin feels roomier and the amount of kit you get in the interior is amazing. I know exterior looks is a personal preference but I like the look of the Mazda a little more than the Cerato. One of the main concerns my wife has is the ground clearance on the 3 for going over speed bumps or down into those drains between streets. We didn't have too much of an issue during the test drive but we did have to negotiate the driveway out of Southern Sales a bit with the 3.

The Vitara seems like a good buy for the money ($220k for the 2019 model of which they only have a few left) and the interior is comfortable but definitely not as nice as the others. Plus they give you a 5 year 100k km warranty but I have a concern getting the car to and from lifestyle during the week for servicing. I work in POS so southern sales is much easier to get to. The ride was comfortable but that engine was very underwhelming I can't compare the Seltos yet but we are hoping to see one by early next week.

So putting aside the reputation Southern Sales has for after sales service I would love any personal input you guys can offer on the vehicles mentioned. Thanks.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 30th, 2020, 7:26 pm

pipser wrote:Ok I need help from all the car gurus here!

My wife and I have been test driving and narrowing down our choices based on what we feel comfortable paying. This is where we are at;

We've driven all except the Seltos (they can't seem to bring those in fast enough apparently). This is what we've found so far. Between the 3 and the Cerato the 3 feels more planted on the road and the interior blows anything else we've looked at out of the water, however, the cabin feels a little small whereas the Cerato feels peppier and a little more nimble...almost feels a little too light for me though. The cabin feels roomier and the amount of kit you get in the interior is amazing. I know exterior looks is a personal preference but I like the look of the Mazda a little more than the Cerato. One of the main concerns my wife has is the ground clearance on the 3 for going over speed bumps or down into those drains between streets. We didn't have too much of an issue during the test drive but we did have to negotiate the driveway out of Southern Sales a bit with the 3.

The Vitara seems like a good buy for the money ($220k for the 2019 model of which they only have a few left) and the interior is comfortable but definitely not as nice as the others. Plus they give you a 5 year 100k km warranty but I have a concern getting the car to and from lifestyle during the week for servicing. I work in POS so southern sales is much easier to get to. The ride was comfortable but that engine was very underwhelming I can't compare the Seltos yet but we are hoping to see one by early next week.

So putting aside the reputation Southern Sales has for after sales service I would love any personal input you guys can offer on the vehicles mentioned. Thanks.

Never drove any of those models... but from owning two cars currently I would recommend that you get at least one SUV because as soon as a sprinkle of rain fall it floods. And you work POS so you should know...

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » October 30th, 2020, 7:34 pm

I've been trying to figure why this huge price jump but someone is gonna have to break it down for me. I cannot fathom paying $267,000 for the new Ioniq and I paid $172,000 three years ago.
CloudBoi wrote:$70k in taxes?? On an Ioniq???

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » October 30th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Capleton wrote:
mitch1980 wrote:Checked out the Jeep Compass recently comparing to CRV.

this was a quote I got yesterday.
SO cant say

Lower BodySide Cladding
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Reverse Park Sensors
Automatic Tailgate

Jeep 2019 Compass RHD
mydigimag.rrd.com

hey bro, those prices are way off. The 2019 model is currently priced at $309K (Fab) and $324K (Lhtr). The 2020 models are priced at $319K (Fab) and $334K (Lhtr). The $299K units are sold out, they had fabric interior and did not have the powered tail gate.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 30th, 2020, 9:07 pm

snypaz wrote:I've been trying to figure why this huge price jump but someone is gonna have to break it down for me. I cannot fathom paying $267,000 for the new Ioniq and I paid $172,000 three years ago.
CloudBoi wrote:$70k in taxes?? On an Ioniq???

GREAT IS THE PNM...LOL :D

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » November 1st, 2020, 1:15 pm

That mazda has the Bose sound system?

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » November 1st, 2020, 5:16 pm

zando wrote:That mazda has the Bose sound system?

From what I could tell no because it wasn’t labeled anywhere. It just had an 8 speaker system but we didn’t test it out too much.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » November 1st, 2020, 5:19 pm

Gladiator wrote:

Never drove any of those models... but from owning two cars currently I would recommend that you get at least one SUV because as soon as a sprinkle of rain fall it floods. And you work POS so you should know...

Yeah that is also a major consideration. I’m hoping that the Seltos is a better drive than the Vitara.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am

pipser wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Yeah that is also a major consideration. I’m hoping that the Seltos is a better drive than the Vitara.

My 2 cents, the Seltos may have a little more pep, since it produces approx 121 hp as opposed to the Vitara's 115hp (both have the same torque figures). Seltos def has a more up to date look. However, the Vitara comes with 7 airbags when compared to only 2 in the Seltos. With regard to servicing, LSM has daily customer shuttles from the Service Centre at El Socorro to POS. May not be as convenient, but they still have something in place to cater to ppl working in POS. Southern Sales has the worst reputation for after sales service hands down, so be prepared for what may come if you go down the Seltos road. Other than that, overall i'll say that the Vitara has been on the market for awhile and they have been holding up fine. Seltos on the other hand is relatively new, so not much more can be said.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » November 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm

Capleton wrote:
pipser wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

My 2 cents, the Seltos may have a little more pep, since it produces approx 121 hp as opposed to the Vitara's 115hp (both have the same torque figures). Seltos def has a more up to date look. However, the Vitara comes with 7 airbags when compared to only 2 in the Seltos. With regard to servicing, LSM has daily customer shuttles from the Service Centre at El Socorro to POS. May not be as convenient, but they still have something in place to cater to ppl working in POS. Southern Sales has the worst reputation for after sales service hands down, so be prepared for what may come if you go down the Seltos road. Other than that, overall i'll say that the Vitara has been on the market for awhile and they have been holding up fine. Seltos on the other hand is relatively new, so not much more can be said.

Thanks, I didn't realize that the Seltos was only 2 airbags, definitely something to consider. With regards to the Vitara, my in-laws have an older one (about 4 years old) and that one is going strong so I agree with your point of them holding up.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 2nd, 2020, 9:26 pm

Pipser,

If you're going sedan, mazda 3 all the way. The Cerato is nonsense next to that.

If you're going CUV, Vitara over Seltos anyday. 7 airbags vs 2 for the latter. The Seltos looks like a teenager LED'd up his mother's bread toaster. Horrible third world version to the Seltos that sells in the NA market!

Why not consider the Subaru XV? It has standard AWD and 8.7" of ground clearance which is best in class even against the larger crossovers too. With all this flood, traffic, bad roads and police timing, the 1.6 wouldn't be all that bad and the price was $219k a few days ago.

Zando,

Nope, no mazda 3 comes with the BOSE locally. It's a hard luck dey for that. If you want a Mazda-Bose combo, head for the 6 or the CX5.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » November 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am

Did Mazda fixed the recall with them spiders? Or they eh bother?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 4th, 2020, 3:25 pm

2021 Raj lux at M.Rampersad....375k

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 5th, 2020, 10:09 am

In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » November 5th, 2020, 11:02 am

So I finally got to see (not test drive) the Seltos yesterday and I came away with mixed feelings. Its definitely not as nice on the inside as the NA versions that you would see being reviewed on Youtube, externally they look the same. In terms of ground clearance and interior space its good but there are some things that it lacks especially at the 235k price point. Plus there is like a 3 month wait for them at the moment!

I didn't consider the XV because despite getting the height and the AWD I feel like Vitara was giving more value for money at the 220k price.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 3 and the wife is leaning towards the Seltos :roll:

limegreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby limegreen » November 5th, 2020, 11:08 am

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

Honestly I think this is the reality in almost all markets except the US. In the US lease penetration is high and it is subsidized by the OEM.

So it’s sad but it’s just reality at this point.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”