Riding on 17's

Re: Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

Postby rebound » September 25th, 2020, 8:52 am

IBC delivered 3 days after it reached Miami

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 25th, 2020, 9:16 am

Dave wrote:Clearing today, delivery Monday.

You being optimistic.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

I may be somewhat but given my experience with them and how they operate I believe it can almost certainly happen.
Also there have been many times when there are delays and they work Sunday to facilitate delivery to customers.
Not a Saturday as they are SDA.
Everybody home has a "toy" to get well except the lil one, he got his early.
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Dave wrote:Clearing today, delivery Monday.

You being optimistic.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » October 9th, 2020, 10:53 am

Wonder if I decide to bring in a US$6000+ Macbook Pro if a customs officer in a bad mood could still decide to give the shaft because he feeling vindictive, even with the minister's announcement :?: :pokes:

Also, anybody bought in and cleared a desktop yet to confirm if these are also excluded from the concessions, since the announcement doesn't specifically mention desktops?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 9th, 2020, 11:04 am

is this still only valid till Dec. 31st?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 9th, 2020, 11:14 am

dredman1 wrote:Wonder if I decide to bring in a US$6000+ Macbook Pro if a customs officer in a bad mood could still decide to give the shaft because he feeling vindictive, even with the minister's announcement :?: :pokes:

Also, anybody bought in and cleared a desktop yet to confirm if these are also excluded from the concessions, since the announcement doesn't specifically mention desktops?

Just brought down a $1900 Mac book Pro 13, no tax or duties.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 9th, 2020, 11:29 am

Dohplaydat wrote:
dredman1 wrote:Wonder if I decide to bring in a US$6000+ Macbook Pro if a customs officer in a bad mood could still decide to give the shaft because he feeling vindictive, even with the minister's announcement :?: :pokes:

I have a desktop coming in. Should be ready for me to pick up mid bext week. Paid 1400 on it. Will tell you what the damage is

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » October 9th, 2020, 3:38 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I have a desktop coming in. Should be ready for me to pick up mid bext week. Paid 1400 on it. Will tell you what the damage is

Yes, please. Thanks!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Last edited by Rovin on October 9th, 2020, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 9th, 2020, 7:06 pm

if they really in a bad mood, they will bond your package in customs. They can bond anything that is commercial or is valued over $20,000TTD.

If your US$6000+ Macbook Pro gets bonded -
1. You have to pay for customs clearance by a customs broker. You will pay $0 in duty/VAT, but several hundred dollars in customs broker and documentation fees.
2. You have to wait until your broker gets an appointment to clear the package, which can be almost a week due to COVID19 restrictions.
3. During that time, your package may or hopefully won't get wet because they put it outside
4. You also are liable for rent charges during the time it takes to get an appointment.

in short: T&T customs real suck.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 9th, 2020, 10:14 pm

^ wow. Thats good to know. Thanks for that info. Also that is messed up. Banana republic at its finest

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » October 9th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Brought in an iPad Pro. Paid 93tt.

solarkh
3NE 2NR for life

Postby solarkh » October 10th, 2020, 11:09 am

scotty_buttons wrote:Brought in an iPad Pro. Paid 93tt.

May I ask with which courier service?

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » October 13th, 2020, 7:57 am

I bought in a electronic sketch pad and just realized that I paid no tax and duties on it. Were these charges also removed in the budget for accessories?

I thought those breaks were coming in Jan 21

trinigamer
Trinituner Peong

Postby trinigamer » October 13th, 2020, 10:09 am

rebound wrote:I bought in a electronic sketch pad and just realized that I paid no tax and duties on it. Were these charges also removed in the budget for accessories?

Probably classified as a tablet.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 13th, 2020, 10:12 am

Be warned that tablets that have sim cards have full taxes if customs realizes it has a sim card. Most will slip through

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » October 13th, 2020, 11:24 am

Yes, the box had Tablet written on it...
trinigamer wrote:
rebound wrote:I bought in a electronic sketch pad and just realized that I paid no tax and duties on it. Were these charges also removed in the budget for accessories?

Probably classified as a tablet.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 13th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Be warned that tablets that have sim cards have full taxes if customs realizes it has a sim card. Most will slip through

if u wait till next year the tax should be removed from it as cell phone & other digital equipment tax would be removed as well

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 10:09 am

Guys, I posted my question in another thread but realised that this may be a better thread to post my question. I got a few responses but I am curious to get some more.

Has anyone ever purchased a renewed laptop or desktop from Amazon? What are your thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Center-De ... 223&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-Qua ... merReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-90 ... 23&sr=1-15

https://www.amazon.com/OPTIPLEX-Busines ... 23&sr=1-23

Not refurbished but new:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-800 ... 23&sr=1-18

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 12:39 pm

dredman1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Yes, please. Thanks!

My desktop, which weighed 35 pounds, was cleared and according to my courier web source it costed me about 1000 tt (remember i paid about 9500 tt for this desktop). The only tax i was charged with was vat on handling or something so (only 0.69 cents). As such it appears that opt has been removed for desktops. I can't remember the minister saying that this was going to take effect immediately. All in all i budgeted this pc to clear for 3000tt (given its price and weight) so i am estatic.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 14th, 2020, 12:42 pm

carluva wrote:Guys, I posted my question in another thread but realised that this may be a better thread to post my question. I got a few responses but I am curious to get some more.

Has anyone ever purchased a renewed laptop or desktop from Amazon? What are your thoughts on these?

Not refurbished but new:

The person that I know only buys refurbished MacBooks......he loves them...has had no issues. I think he is on his 4th....all are still working..
All from Amazon....

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 12:44 pm

carluva wrote:Guys, I posted my question in another thread but realised that this may be a better thread to post my question. I got a few responses but I am curious to get some more.

Not refurbished but new:

Refurbished electronics is always a gamble. I have bought a few (maybe 7 different minor electronic items) in my life and so far only 1 stopped working after a few months. For a pc i would not take that gamble as the last thing u want is a defective pc. The repair costs and down time (assuming you want this for work from home or to help the kids with their learning) will stack up quickly. Bite the bullet and buy major electronics (cellphones, computers, monitors, etc) new.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 1:49 pm

elec2020 wrote:
dredman1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Yes, please. Thanks!

My desktop, which weighed 35 pounds, was cleared and according to my courier web source it costed me about 1000 tt (remember i paid about 9500 tt for this desktop). The only tax i was charged with was vat on handling or something so (only 0.69 cents). As such it appears that opt has been removed for desktops. I can't remember the minister saying that this was going to take effect immediately. All in all i budgeted this pc to clear for 3000tt (given its price and weight) so i am estatic.

Can you send me what you bought? Ideally, I am looking for a desktop albeit a mini or small form factor.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 2:15 pm

^ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... jGopo7Tl24.

This is a gaming desktop by alienware. I wanted a pc for work from home and gaming (tired of console gaming is always half assed games with pay to win elements). So this i found did the job.

They have alot of good value mini desktops. I think dell and acer should have a few. Imo acer is the better brand of the two. You kust have to know what you want. For reliability acer. For low prices and cheap fixing dell. For great performance at the start and then snowballs into basically a door stopper hp. For stunting on people apple. For gaming alienware performance is king. I heard good things about skytech and cyberpower for gaming as well.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

You looking for a very small form factor?
Zotac. I have one as my main desktop 2 years ago. Intel i3-7300 chip. No extra graphics. Runs 4k video easy. Good for what i use it for, even plays 10 year old games fully loaded like MoH 2010 and NFS Shift. Downside, it has no fan, so when i run those games, i put a Lasko fan to blow on the unit. I bought a barebones nano C-unit on Amazon and bought 8GB memory too. Already had an SDD. Make sure the RAM specs match the requirements listed on the website, don't buy Intel Optane memory.

And my next pc will also be a similar Zotac with more power. They run options for Ryzen as well and iCore. They make gaming PCs (with cooling) too that rivals Asus ROG if that's what you want, very small form factor. And Graphics cards. And motherboards. I learned of Zotac through Linus Tech Tips and he had a lot of good things to say. And he spoke the truth.

Check this out: i5-10th generation
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Passive-Cooled-Quad-core-Barebones-ZBOX-CI642NANO-U/dp/B08BBN3LS5

Add compatible memory DDR4-2666/2400 SODIMM https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Performance-Unbuffered-CMSX16GX4M1A2666C18/dp/B07BBQG6FR

Add SSD ($90 USD). = Total ~$610 USD

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 2:45 pm

UGH - then that means I need to build myself and then load OS etc. That is not something I have done nor feel comfortable doing... How to overcome that hurdle?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm

You just take off the back screws, insert and snap the hardware pieces and then plug in to your existing monitor. It takes like 2 minutes to do the task. They built it with that design. The OS, well yeah, but it doesn't take more than 1/2hr to install Win 10 on a SSD. More like 15 mins. And it's so simple now, you just click "I agree" and "Next" and it does everything itself. You cannot mess this up, it's so simple. If you have an old Windows 7 computer, you can use that key, it will work for Windows 10. Just deactivate it on the old pc.

Also when will you learn if not now? https://youtu.be/SizIpEPl378?t=165

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

DED - point noted. LOL

kukulook
Riding on 13's

Postby kukulook » October 14th, 2020, 3:10 pm

you could go to cyberpowerpc.com and build one of those EVO MINI. 3600/1660super for $789. The trick is to remove windows to automatically save you $60 bucks. when black friday rolls around, it is cheaper to buy from them than building your own once you find the correct discount. Newegg also sells decent prebuilts and they don't charge sales tax so that is a plus.

with ampere/rdna2/zen 3 launching, it is difficult to buy some of these prebuilts since they are using old gen stuff and they are not offering significant discount. for example, you could get a 2080ti ($1200) perf with a rtx 3070 ($500). yes, they are difficult to get a hold off but the savings are worth it.

does anyone know is pc parts are exempt too?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Also stay away from windows 10. It is the worst operating system i have ever been on. In the space of 24hrs windows defender was randomly deleting third party exe files (i took 2 hours to try to solve this) and windows did not recognize my gaming headset (took 3 hrs to solve this). It also blocked me from usin Steam. Apparently these are common issues on windows 10.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”