Forums

Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby aaron17 » September 19th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Kamla begging for it to be delayed because of covid and job losses....
Rowley ..when he says hard times ahead means it will still come as planned.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 19th, 2020, 7:54 pm

it eh have not fite up. proprietors, if they own businesses, will jess jack up prices to suit. all who buying and renting will hadda pony up.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 19th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Big shed getting jam ent?

my two sheds nearly bigger than my house. owch

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » September 19th, 2020, 9:47 pm

sheds bigger than the house is a common occurrence in some parts of the country

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 19th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Ent Rowlee wanted to tax dog kennels and mini temples .

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 2nd, 2020, 12:17 am

NEWS
Rowley hits property tax
SEAN DOUGLAS SUNDAY 20 DECEMBER 2009

He said, “In my constituency there is anger, anxiety and resentment, at both ends of the spectrum.”

Saying the property tax is obviously a revenue-raising measure, he said people are saying if the Government had better handled its largesse, there would have been no need for this tax.

“Stop taking your own advice that nobody is annoyed...,” he advised the Government. He said they have brought the tax at the worst possible time, alluding to tough economic times. He repeatedly said that people were not against the idea of paying taxes but were upset that this measure could have been averted if the Government had acted differently previously, in its expenditure.

Rowley lamented that the Government in this bill had not taken the opportunity to begin a paradigm shift in how local government is treated. He lamented that the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) model – which holds local officials to a greater accountability to citizens – has not been adopted for local councils in Trinidad.

Saying the lifeblood of performance is money, Rowley said without such reform in Trinidad, the introduction of property tax would likely not bring improvements to local communities. Adding that the Government has not come clean over the property tax, he said the country would only have to wait until people’s bills are paid in September to find out if it is in fact a serious revenue earner.

“I suspect the three percent will be on values considerably higher than being made out to be. You’ll get good values for most properties,” he said, forewarning of high tax bills.

Scoffing at claims that some people might pay less tax than they now pay, Rowley quipped, “Don’t bother to tax me; Pass on the benefit.”

Rejecting the Government’s claim that the tax promoted equity between different people, he said there was no equity in North-West Regional Health Authority (NWRHA) CEO Agatha Carrington being sent on leave pending an audit, while Udecott executive director, Calder Hart, remains in office, despite revelations at the Uff Commission of Inquiry.

Rowley made the point that the property tax is being imposed for something that is not a revenue-earner for him, that is, his home. He said that through no act of their own, persons living on Diego Martin Main Road might have found the value of their house climb over the years to $1 million or $2 million, and now be liable to the property tax, despite never having any intention to sell it or rent it out.

“If you try to defend the indefensible, you’ll create resentment and provoke people, and that is what we have at the moment.”

Rowley said in areas of his constituency, such as Upper Cemetery Street, there are residents who must pay water rates despite the fact that no water flows in the water-pipes laid down four years ago. He said any hike in such water rates under the property tax would now amount to provocation.

Rejecting claims that the property tax won’t cause hardship, he said, “I know a lot of people for whom $100 is a lot of money. A lot are struggling to make ends meet.”

Alluding to talks this week between Acting Prime Minister Dr Lenny Saith and Jamaica Prime Minister Bruce Golding over Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines, he warned the Government not to fund Air Jamaica. He jibed that he would personally “mark” the dollar bills he was paying in property tax to ensure they were used for things such as hospitals and schools, not Air Jamaica.

https://archives.newsday.co.tt/2009/12/ ... poFUVzPlMw

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » October 2nd, 2020, 3:07 am

How have things improved in his constituency, has he since addressed the problems thus giving his constituents no reason to oppose the tax?

Have we improved local government?

The THA is a model that holds local officials to greater accountability?

Will the tax bring improvement?

Paying for services that we don't see value for....well that hasn't changed.

In 2009 during the height of an oil and gas boom (relatively speaking) people were struggling to make ends meet, are we now making ends meet, given the COVID-19, economic slow down and collapse in oil and gas prices?

Should I buy a sharpie to mark the bills I use to pay the tax?

Asking for a friend.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 2nd, 2020, 3:15 am

They want to roll out this property tax so bad is like they can already feel the heft of the money in their pockets.
No how it will make sense to pressure people with that until smarter money management starts and the usual squandermania ceases to exist. Why must the public be forced to pay for the failures of the current regime with regard to revenue collections and expenditure over the last five years, and pay not to improve on anything but simply to maintain the malpractice that has us in this negative position in the first place?

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » October 2nd, 2020, 7:41 am

So allyuh bums and freeloaders never paid property tax before or even your parents ?

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » October 2nd, 2020, 7:52 am

j.o.e wrote:So allyuh bums and freeloaders never paid property tax before or even your parents ?

Yeah, it was $100 for the year...
I don't think anyone is opposing the tax, they're opposing the method of valuation and the disparity across areas that can burn a hole in their pocket further. It's like being punished for living in a particular area or type of house..

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » October 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

meccalli wrote:
j.o.e wrote:So allyuh bums and freeloaders never paid property tax before or even your parents ?

I don't think anyone is opposing the tax, they're opposing the method of valuation and the disparity across areas that can burn a hole in their pocket further. It's like being punished for living in a particular area or type of house..

After receiving the valuation are they unhappy?
What would be a maximum/ fair amount people would like to pay ? Honest question (of course this will differ based on income and budget )
Just trying to understand a range.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » October 2nd, 2020, 8:21 am

Honestly I think a $500 to a $1000 a year would be fine with the most households, and that's still alot of money to be made.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » October 2nd, 2020, 9:27 am

meccalli wrote:Honestly I think a $500 to a $1000 a year would be fine with the most households, and that's still alot of money to be made.
Can we ask what exactly is the tax monies collected going to be used for ????

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 2nd, 2020, 10:06 am

j.o.e wrote:
meccalli wrote:

After receiving the valuation are they unhappy?
What would be a maximum/ fair amount people would like to pay ? Honest question (of course this will differ based on income and budget )

If Annual Rental value is about 4% of the valuation( valuation last month from R&P) and the tax is equating to 3% of the ARV we are looking at .0012%

or $1200 per million Val

per year.

is that correct?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 2nd, 2020, 10:07 am

j.o.e wrote:So allyuh bums and freeloaders never paid property tax before or even your parents ?[/b]

nah, land & building taxes wasn't a property tax, it was a donation to our own lands and buildings that had to pass through govt & come back to property owners as invisible non-tactile currency

j.o.e wrote:After receiving the valuation are they unhappy?

The problem is multi-faceted
One being why should property owners be penalized and forced to pay a property tax that does nothing to benefit them, their property or their community, simply because they were willing to work hard and make the money to buy a home and not begging the state for a place to live.
Another being that the state is telling you flat outright if you don't pay them they can and will lawfully (according to them) take your house that you worked your arse off to pay for, and sell it to recover their tax, which makes all property owners tenants of the state, people that paid for their property outright to be know they actually own it. So no matter what you paid or paying for your home, it ain't yours.
Yet another being who is the state & it's minions to tell you how much your property is worth and how much you should pay accordingly? Look at it like this. Say you have to pay me for a vehicle you own, according to what I say it's worth. You might have paid 40K for it, and an independent valuator might have estimated it's value at 20K, but if I want as much as I can get from you it ain't difficult for me to say it's valued at 60K and is you have to prove to me I wrong for saying that it worth that much & you hadda pay accordingly to what I say, & I intentionally make it difficult for you to do this. See the problem? Independent third party valuators should have been contracted to do this in the interest of impartiality and fairness.

People wouldn't have as much of problem if the regional corps were to administer the property tax & spend it to do the necessary works in their communities. But you see how it is now? just more money to add to the pile they does used to do all kinda random shite that yields little to no tangible benefits to the taxpayer? That's an issue, especially in this hard time where it have real plenty people that really ketchin they nenen due to job losses and businesses closing in all sectors, knowing that some of those businesses may never recover.

Even clown inbutt admits, tax collection is significantly down, from vat, to corp tax to paye and practically all others. If ppl have no/limited money, the first thing they do is cut spending, when they do the state gets less taxes. And is now when ppl have limited resources they want to bring this? and say they HAVE to do it & the public HAVE to pay it for them to meet their usual expenditure? When it have PLENTY nonessential expenditure they could cut but don't want to? Ok, so the public supposed to pay it with what? they silver hairs?

this whole thing need to scrap and burn and start over in about 15 years when they figure out how to extract their heads from their asses

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 2nd, 2020, 11:36 am

88 you throwing out Red Herrings.

BUT

I say implement the tax.....however reduce the tax to whatever level...change the formula.
While I think its reasonable in terms of 3% ArV- I take the economic points.

However the existence of a tax forces people to sign document, attest to ownership and declare beneficial interests.
It is a way to get started on the resolving land fraud-not just ministers and big wigs but also those that defraud small people.

I think we need to get going on that-22Billion in fraudulent deeds says something.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 2nd, 2020, 11:27 pm

alyuh throwing around too many wrong figures here. Remember is based off of annual rental value and not capital value.

How are they assessing rental value? Are the rental values assessed anywhere even close to market rental rates?

Will the government actually assign rental rates above market rates and introduce all that potential for litigation?

Scroll back through the pages, all these questions have been answered in depth.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » October 2nd, 2020, 11:48 pm

toyolink wrote:The property tax law/regulation/act/provision just continues to confuse me.
The question of 50% trigger seems to add to the mess since the question for me is...How do they know they reach 50% if in principle they dont know what is the number that represents 100%.
Anybody saw a definitive answer to this question in the press??

If the government can't implement the tax unless they cross the 50% threshold, this creates an incentive to households to never submit anything, so the government never achieves this target.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am

If you read the amendment bill you would have the answer in less time than it took to write that question

Typical trini behaviour

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 4th, 2020, 10:16 pm

A bit surprised nobody post it yet

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 4th, 2020, 10:17 pm

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/10/04/devant ... perty-tax/

Devant questions UNC on property tax

UNC activist Devant Maharaj is openly questioning the Opposition's commitment to any move by Government to implement property tax. In a video posted on Facebook on Sunday, Barataria/San Juan MP Saddam Hosein and Opposition Senator Jayanti Lutchemedial sought to outline the UNC's position on property tax.

They said despite calls from Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar for Government to hold its hand on implementing the tax, it seems Government will do so when Finance Minister Colm Imbert presents the 2020/2012 budget in Parliament. Hosein and Lutchemedial, who are both lawyers, said many citizens have expressed concerns to them about the tax being implemented

Hosein reiterated the UNC's view that the implementation of the tax at this time would be "unwise and harsh."

He said the consequences of not paying property tax would be severe. According to Hosein, "Government has the power to levy on your personal belongings to recover property tax. That means they can seize your appliances and your furniture to recover that tax." He also claimed, "They (Government) can sell your property to collect their property tax." Hosein explained that residential properties; commercial properties; agricultural properties; industrial properties (with plant and machinery in a building); and industrial properties (with plant and machinery not housed in a building) attract taxes of three, five, one, six, and three per cent of the annual rental value of the property, respectively.

Hosein said property taxes can only be collected with the Commissioner of Valuations advises Imber that 50 per cent of the lands in TT have been valued. He added there are questions as to what determines the criteria to indicate that this target has been achieved. Hosein explained that by law, the owner of a property is obligated to pay property tax. Lutchemedial said Housing Development Corporation (HDC) homeowners will be expected to pay property tax. .

On whether the tax would be paid retroactively, Lutchemedial recalled that September 30, 2017 was the date originally set for the collection of property taxes. Hosein and Lutchmedial were uncertain whether or not this would change when Imbert presents the budget. In Facebook post, Maharaj said, "It appears the UNC via the video (of Hosein and Lutchmedial) is promoting not protecting the citizen from the property tax."

According to Maharaj, "Instead of fighting this draconian and oppressive tax, the Opposition UNC seems they decided they should assist the Government in rolling out this tax. He claimed the statements by Hosein and Lutchmedial suggest the UNC has surrendered on the property tax.

Maharaj, who has been openly critical of the UNC since it lost the August 10 general and repeatedly called for Persad-Bissessar to resign as UNC leader, declared, "We cannot surrender to the PNM as these Opposition members have done."

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 5th, 2020, 6:53 am

Govt has had the ability to levy on a property for unpaid taxes....since there was a tax.
Nothing new.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 5th, 2020, 7:06 am

Redman wrote:Govt has had the ability to levy on a property for unpaid taxes....since there was a tax.
Nothing new.

Yeah but its aimed at Injun Land owners .

Its an Injun Tax

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 5th, 2020, 7:17 am

zoom rader wrote:
Redman wrote:Govt has had the ability to levy on a property for unpaid taxes....since there was a tax.
Nothing new.

Yeah but its aimed at Injun Land owners .

Its an Injun Tax

Lol.

I missed your bigotry, for its base simplistic point of view

assassin
Shifting into 6th

Postby assassin » October 5th, 2020, 7:21 am

I am not against an increased property tax.
I do not think the previous tax was adequate.
What I am against is an illogical method of assigning a payable value.

If I buy a lot of land in westmoorings with a dilapidated house on it, it is sold at a base price due to the location and amenities associated with location

Is it rational that I pay $3500 and my neighbour pays $1500?
Do I receive water from a separate main line from my neighbour?
I drive on the same road and am serviced by the same garbage collection

What justifies such a disparity?
meccalli wrote:

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » October 5th, 2020, 7:46 am

watch for the "exemptions" to certain taxes.... for certian age groups or people! should be interesting

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 5th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Imbert: Mandatory property tax valuation coming

Mandatory valuations are coming so that the property tax can be determined.

The Finance Minister made this announcement early in the reading of the 2020/2021 budget.

“This government has been working assiduously to produce the required valuations, notwithstanding numerous challenges," he said. "To expedite the process and validate the information, the Commissioner of Caluations will be making mandatory requests of property owners pursuant to section 29 of the Valuation of Land Act.”

He said the objective of the exercise is to start collecting the property tax in 2021.

“We continue to assure property owners that the tax will be fair,” Imbert said.

He said the property tax would focus on residential properties first and commercial and industrial properties would soon follow.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2020/10/05/imbert ... on-coming/

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 5th, 2020, 6:18 pm

what about my 20' by 20' prayer room and my 10' by 10' dog kennel?

dey go kill we with tax, me cyah afford dat

:^(

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 5th, 2020, 6:19 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Imbert: Mandatory property tax valuation coming

Mandatory valuations are coming so that the property tax can be determined.

The Finance Minister made this announcement early in the reading of the 2020/2021 budget.

“This government has been working assiduously to produce the required valuations, notwithstanding numerous challenges," he said. "To expedite the process and validate the information, the Commissioner of Caluations will be making mandatory requests of property owners pursuant to section 29 of the Valuation of Land Act.”

He said the objective of the exercise is to start collecting the property tax in 2021.

“We continue to assure property owners that the tax will be fair,” Imbert said.

He said the property tax would focus on residential properties first and commercial and industrial properties would soon follow.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2020/10/05/imbert ... on-coming/
Injun first to pay tax

Injun tax

matr1x

Postby matr1x » October 5th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Weren't they sending ppl to check houses and coincident that alot of houses were then broken into.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”