Sound Deadening and Insulation options

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Sound Deadening and Insulation options

Postby *KRONIK* » September 29th, 2020, 6:30 am

Hey guys,
I'm sending my car's floor carpet to steam/extractor clean soon. While its out, i would like to clean the flooring out properly and apply some sound deadening/insulation. I have no music yet, but plan to install some in the near future.

What are the options available locally insulating sound deadening?

it will just be the floor for now, will do the roof and doors at a later time as the budget is limited currently.

Share your experiences and options here please.

thanks.

Also, it a DIY project, so nothing that requires professional installation (specialty equipment) etc.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Sound Deadenng and Insulation options

Postby Kronik » September 29th, 2020, 6:52 am

Why not try the buzzmat sound deadening that rovin selling, sticks like flashband.
Do everywhere the mat covers.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 29th, 2020, 7:14 am

Yea

I looking at pricing, and options

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » September 29th, 2020, 9:18 am

With deadening you get what you pay for. Generally the better ones increase in cost. My personal go to brand for deadening is Xfire.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 29th, 2020, 12:57 pm

From fuzz?
kavaninho wrote:With deadening you get what you pay for. Generally the better ones increase in cost. My personal go to brand for deadening is Xfire.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm

I see men use rolls and rolls of flashband and gt. No lie, LOL. The go to brands are dynamat, xfire (from fuzz) and buzzmat (might be the cheapest of the 3 brands). It's a simple DIY, just needs patience, heat gun and a mini roller in some instances

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 29th, 2020, 1:41 pm

ppl always wondering bout flashband cause it may look similar but chemically its different , anybody can google it & read why

yrs ago for kicks i compared pricing of buying wide rolls of flashband vs sound deadening , iirc d cost was close & not worth using something not specially made for acoustic dampening , not to mention d high weird smell of flashband

i have sold 100s of sheets of buzzmat, it is reputably made by DB DRIVE who out here decades in business

it is a very good quality, thickness & adhesion once u clean d suface good & apply it properly - i have used it in my own panel van & i tried pulling it out to see how strong it holds & its difficult to remove

havent gotten any customer complaints so far ... price i selling it for is among cheapest in d country 8-)

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 29th, 2020, 1:49 pm

PM me the cost plz and options (if any)
Rovin wrote:ppl always wondering bout flashband cause it may look similar but chemically its different , anybody can google it & read why

yrs ago for kicks i compared pricing of buying wide rolls of flashband vs sound deadening , iirc d cost was close & not worth using something not specially made for acoustic dampening , not to mention d high weird smell of flashband

i have sold 100s of sheets of buzzmat, it is reputably made by DB DRIVE who out here decades in business

it is a very good quality, thickness & adhesion once u clean d suface good & apply it properly - i have used it in my own panel van & i tried pulling it out to see how strong it holds & its difficult to remove

havent gotten any customer complaints so far ... price i selling it for is among cheapest in d country 8-)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Sound Deadening and Insulation options

Postby Rovin » September 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm

its in my ad here ... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=737748

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 29th, 2020, 2:30 pm

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/refer ... formation/

To get some up to date info on sound deadening

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 29th, 2020, 8:53 pm

seconded on the buzzmat from rovin

Highly underrated and affordable. Sticks to every goddamn thing :lol:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 30th, 2020, 10:02 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I see men use rolls and rolls of flashband and gt. No lie, LOL. The go to brands are dynamat, xfire (from fuzz) and buzzmat (might be the cheapest of the 3 brands). It's a simple DIY, just needs patience, heat gun and a mini roller in some instances

Flashband is nothing like what sound dampening materials are or should be. Flashband is mostly asphalt and will melt in some of this heat as well as leave a scent. It also does not have the viseoelastic properties of sound dampening materials. Its just adding mass and contributing to distortion.

Butyl is a material that is popular in most of the decent stuff. It will allow some flex to an extent and dampen vibrations.

Most on the market are similar so i'd say pick which suits your pocket for the most amount of material. I used second skin and DD back then, the second skin was some of the better stuff back then and the DD, well I usually buy stuff from rovin and triple r where I get good service plus I just so happened to be passing by triple r a day. Not saying buy what I buy or endorsing any particular product, it has a lot of options available now.

Just clean your surface properly and I have had dcenet results from just leaving it in the sun. But I do have a heat gun and roller.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 1st, 2020, 7:04 am

Yea

Options so far are the buzzmat from rovin or xfire from fuzz

Area coverage per box working out around the same (a lil more sq ft with the buzzmat).

Budget was 1k
Both coming in at around that price

I have a small heatgun, just need a roller

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » October 1st, 2020, 9:04 am

Ensure you have a strong roller. Good application requires you pressing hard even at tight corners. If you don't apply properly the item would not be as effective.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 1st, 2020, 11:20 am

b4 applying mat : surfaces must be well cleaned, NO oil, grease, dust, dirt, grime, water\moisture etc , do it on a nice hot sunny day

mat needs to be firmly pressed on - its not like a sticker where u slap it on & gently rub it with finger tips

personally i dont really care for those lil roller tool , imo they seem flimsy like it about to come apart & dont exert enough force to do a good job especially on odd uneven surfaces

this might sound odd but i use a flat piece of steel like 1\4x1x12" long that i really press down firmly sometimes with both hands which i find gives a much better result [works great for hard to reach areas inside doors] , sometimes i use d rounded end of a screwdriver plastic handle for certain uneven surfaces ...
Last edited by Rovin on October 1st, 2020, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » October 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm

^ I always end up using screw driver handles in tight areas too :(

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » October 1st, 2020, 2:24 pm

i made a couple earlier this year using an an axe handle, basically drilled a hole in the center..put a piece of 3/8 inch steel through, bent and weld it ends to form a handle...worked really well
lent my cuz and never saw it since

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » October 1st, 2020, 9:19 pm

Prepare for worn finger tips if installed right

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » October 2nd, 2020, 12:19 am

Screwdriver handle is a must.
I worked at a sign shop so I know how to lay vinyl without bubbles..
I usually start from one end and progressively work my way up.
Sometimes starting from the center and press outward works.
Prep is a must, all dirt and grease must be gone. Solvents work well to remove old ribbon sealant. Gasoline is cheap and works well, so does thinners and kerosene with gasoline after. Wd40 removes heavier stuff and then a solvent to rid you of the wd40. I used that technique to get rid of kitchen fumes in an ac unit recently. Customer says they now have to leave one ac off.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”