Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Chimera » September 20th, 2020, 7:04 am

Like 775 to 900 depending on location and quantity

Plenty places is 825 850

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 20th, 2020, 10:04 am

Believe it or not, some of the more reputable concrete suppliers actually guarantee their concrete strength and take samples for crush tests as standard. While this may not be of concern for your typical 3000 psi mix, for anything with a higher compressive strength, the guarantee, sampling and testing is pretty handy.

More often than not, the smaller and cheaper suppliers do not do this sampling and testing. So basically, you pay for what you get, which is not an issue in some cases.

But, when I did a 5000 psi, waterproofed decking for a tank stand and a 4000 psi fiber reinforced screed mix a few years ago, I got all sorts of prices from different suppliers. But I went with a more reputable supplier as I was allowed to witness the crush tests at their lab and offered copies of the results. This to me was pretty good service for what I wanted.

You may be asking with a guarantee, if it does not meet design, then what? Demolish your new slab and the have the supplier repour? Actually, with a supplier guarantee, any probability of rework is really small as the supplier's mix design will give the intended design. A smaller and cheaper supplier may not necessarily be so confident with the mix design. That's another factor that goes into getting what you paid for.

Anyhow, long story short, prices vary depending on your mix strength and additives such as waterproofing agents, fiber reinforcement, retardants, plasticisers etc. My advice is if you going the way of the latter, use a reputable supplier and enquire about the sampling, testing and guarantees.

Also, a typical concrete truck is 8-9 cubic metres. So anything less than a full load and you will be charged for underutilisation of the truck's capacity. That is standard across suppliers and iirc, prices can start from around $100 per unused cubic metre of capacity. Lastly, trucks typically give you 45 mins to 1 hour of site availability. Anything more, and you will be charged.

screwbash wrote:anyone know the cost of a yard of readymix presently ? who had the best price for a 5 yard of readymix?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 20th, 2020, 10:11 am

One thing again... Some suppliers also give discounts for repeat business or large quantities. So if you know anyone in your area or family needing to do a pour, get with them and try to negotiate prices.

In my case in 2016, I did three pours totalling 25+ cubic metres. On my second and third pour I was given discounts, which on the third pour was quite large in comparison as it was the largest volume pour of the three and used a boom pump.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 20th, 2020, 2:13 pm

For some reason, them concrete posts above have me aroused

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 20th, 2020, 4:26 pm

kas1992 wrote:Commercial Representation that's in the back of the trincity industrial estate. Purchased there recently, they carry the USG sheetrock brand too
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:any suggestions regarding places that sell gypsum and the other necessities @ good prices?

Ditto. Recommend Commercial Representations also.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 20th, 2020, 7:03 pm

carluva wrote:One thing again... Some suppliers also give discounts for repeat business or large quantities. So if you know anyone in your area or family needing to do a pour, get with them and try to negotiate prices.

In my case in 2016, I did three pours totalling 25+ cubic metres. On my second and third pour I was given discounts, which on the third pour was quite large in comparison as it was the largest volume pour of the three and used a boom pump.

just a little 20x20 area i want to concrete 4" thick. i does see some small cement trucks around, them is what i was thinking about.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2020, 7:54 pm

use rebar and not brc
make sure the rebar straight and tight
otherwise it compromises the purpose of having steel in the concrete

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » September 20th, 2020, 11:02 pm

I did all of my pours with central concrete...was very happy with their service. The last went into 11pm in the night and required more concrete than I originally paid for - they continued and called another truck with no fuss whatsoever. Would highly recommend them.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 21st, 2020, 8:02 am

That's great. As I said, the reputable suppliers offer good service and these types of accomodations.
worksux101 wrote:I did all of my pours with central concrete...was very happy with their service. The last went into 11pm in the night and required more concrete than I originally paid for - they continued and called another truck with no fuss whatsoever. Would highly recommend them.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 21st, 2020, 9:31 am

Any reviews on Kallco?

seekseek
Riding on 13's

Postby seekseek » September 24th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Trying to do about 250 feet of fencing, based in Princes Town, flat land, and want to know approximate prices so so I can know when to start.

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

Got a quote for 25 grand plus VAT for labour and material for a concrete wall with decorative bricks.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » September 24th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Thats a very good quote you got there.
seekseek wrote:Trying to do about 250 feet of fencing, based in Princes Town, flat land, and want to know approximate prices so so I can know when to start.

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

Got a quote for 25 grand plus VAT for labour and material for a concrete wall with decorative bricks.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » September 24th, 2020, 10:16 pm

seekseek wrote:Trying to do about 250 feet of fencing, based in Princes Town, flat land, and want to know approximate prices so so I can know when to start.

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

You may need to recheck that quotation. 250ft you said

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 25th, 2020, 12:06 am

That 25k is labour only for the 250ft...I did 40ft of concrete wall and it cost 25k labour and material

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » September 25th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Kallco is the cheapest rn 800, J4 Construction company on FB is 825
screwbash wrote:anyone know the cost of a yard of readymix presently ? who had the best price for a 5 yard of readymix?

Toyo1777
Street 2NR

Postby Toyo1777 » September 25th, 2020, 6:31 pm

kas1992 wrote:Kallco is the cheapest rn 800, J4 Construction company on FB is 825

Who offers the best quality readymix?

seekseek
Riding on 13's

Postby seekseek » September 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm

matix wrote:

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

You may need to recheck that quotation. 250ft you said

Was saying the same thing....looks far too good to be true...

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm

That is a subjective question.

Read my post a bit earlier.

Some people will be satisfied with cheap concrete for what they need.

Others will be willing to pay a but more for something that's guaranteed for its strength.

Plus, consumers cannot discern quality by simply looking at the mix or working the mix. Mix quality is determined through testing, which the average consumer has no interest in as once the pour is done, the consumer moves on to the next phase of his/her project.
Toyo1777 wrote:
kas1992 wrote:Kallco is the cheapest rn 800, J4 Construction company on FB is 825

Who offers the best quality readymix?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 25th, 2020, 8:34 pm

There is no way that's a real cost.

10 years ago when I built my fence, which was concrete foundation, full walls in some places, full columns in some places, pockets for iron work and 2" posts for chin link set in short columns and a running length of about 400+ ft, material and labour was about 150k.

1. Chain link

2. PVC fencing

3. Concrete wall

RH Digital Truck Parts
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby RH Digital Truck Parts » September 25th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Alescon Readymix!

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 26th, 2020, 11:34 am

So I'm redoing parts of my home which were outdated (inherited a somewhat ancient home). I have a bathroom vanity but in moving it to do over the bathroom, the porcelain sink got cracked.

Seeing that I have the vanity already wanted to use it back. My idea is to buy a porcelain tile big enough to use as the countertop and cut the hole for the sink. The size is approximately 3 ft wide x 2ft deep.

My question is can I place the tile on the vanity without any backing for support?
If support is needed what should I use?? I know ply would rotten with the exposure to water.

Suggestions welcomed

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 26th, 2020, 11:48 am

Jerry84 wrote:So I'm redoing parts of my home which were outdated (inherited a somewhat ancient home). I have a bathroom vanity but in moving it to do over the bathroom, the porcelain sink got cracked.

Seeing that I have the vanity already wanted to use it back. My idea is to buy a porcelain tile big enough to use as the countertop and cut the hole for the sink. The size is approximately 3 ft wide x 2ft deep.

My question is can I place the tile on the vanity without any backing for support?
If support is needed what should I use?? I know ply would rotten with the exposure to water.

Suggestions welcomed

It would need support
What is the thickness of the tile?
There are stone tiles that can be an inch thick

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 26th, 2020, 11:56 am

I'm guessing the regular thickness of porcelain is around 3/8 of an inch.

Those stone tiles..for a single tile that size what's the average cost?

If I need to support the porcelain tile what is a durable medium to use??
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:So I'm redoing parts of my home which were outdated (inherited a somewhat ancient home). I have a bathroom vanity but in moving it to do over the bathroom, the porcelain sink got cracked.

Suggestions welcomed

It would need support
What is the thickness of the tile?
There are stone tiles that can be an inch thick

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Suggestions welcomed

Use 3/4 inch plywood with a 1/2 inch sheet of cement board beneath the tile. This is the standard countertop underlayment.

Seal the vanity top's gaps to prevent water damage. If water damage is a possible worry, use marine-grade plywood for its water resistance.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 27th, 2020, 12:17 pm

What is the go to concrete primer these days? One where you only need to apply one coat. I was told about the Trinity?

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » September 27th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I used Berger ALD. Its antifungus and thicker than the normal berger concrete primer.
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What is the go to concrete primer these days? One where you only need to apply one coat. I was told about the Trinity?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm

PriceSmart has the 5 gallon Berger Contractor Primer.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Thanks much...that's like 600 per bucket?

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » September 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm

I used SW loxon xp on the house and trying ppg sealer and primer at the moment on the perimeter wall.
Can't go wrong with SW but the price is ridiculous.
Will give feedback on the ppg when finished

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 27th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Paid 840 for one of these in el socorro
Primer and sealer for new concrete.

20200927_152814.jpeg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”