Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 14th, 2020, 2:29 pm

@Phone - What you planning to use that for?
Something telling me is to watch flim? (17" screen and DVD drive?)

@Bain - I was aware of some d/c issues with PS/bluetooth combo so I buy a 20 foot usb extension (and a 20ft 3.5mm for headphones) to rock back on the couch in advance. Used to be real messy with the cables.

Went through a gaming drought for a while (during which I get that Logitech as a gift) and when I start back with new PC and legit-paid-for Windows, I just went with the plug-and-play Logitech.
Bout half the games I play are FPS too so keyboard/mouse for that.

I only hold an Xbox controller like 3 times in life. Most was PS or PS form factor.
But I always used to see people, even PS fanboys say the Xbox controllers more comfortable.
I was considering the one for the new Xbox, but I want to see how/if the PS5 one will work with drivers.
PS5 one looking much sleeker I find.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 14th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:@Phone - What you planning to use that for?
Something telling me is to watch flim? (17" screen and DVD drive?)

for nephew to do his online classes

i end up ordering the one duane suggested

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 14th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Word. In that case the touchscreen/pen combo would be more convenient.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 16th, 2020, 12:14 am

hi guys so from repairing alot of laptop computers a friend asked me to build him a new desktop.....

finally some desktop action.....

so here we go......

special thanks to tuner ted_v2 for helping with the part suggestions and links to stuff on amazon.

so here we go... the person wanted a fast desktop.....but not for gaming - for office use....and must have wifi....

so i chose my parts to suit.

starting off with the case.

this is the case i chose ....

case >>>>> https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H510-Manage ... r=8-1&th=1

now onto the processor -i'm usually an intel guy but ted_v2 recommended i try the amd ryzen series and from what i saw the specs and ratings they are trading solid blows with intel ....

so my weapon of choice thanks to ted v2 help with the for selection

processor >>> https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3600X- ... 227&sr=8-1

now for the main board of choice ......

asus >>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-i7-9750H-Ge ... B081PZTZ4B

so for the ram i dont use Kingston due to past experiences - my choice was crucial -and 32 gigs of it- for good measure

ram >>>> https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC4-2560 ... 15&sr=1-11

now for the hard drive - this came recommended again by tuner ted_v2...

hard drive >>> https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-25 ... 229&sr=8-3

hard drive >>>> Image

i needed a video card as the cpu doesn't have onboard video so i needed a regular card just to get a display onto the monitor

card of choice >>>> https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-64bit-Singl ... 230&sr=8-1

video card >>>> Image

now to power up the entire rig EVGA is what was recommended to me.
500w 80 plus bronze

power supply >>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTMXD83/re ... UTF8&psc=1

and finally cooling ted v2 recommended this for case fans

fans >> https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P12-Black ... =1-11&th=1

fan >>> Image

total cost with sales tax =$775.81 usd

will let u know how customs fees are when it gets here

so guys tell me what u think ........questions / comments etc

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 16th, 2020, 8:27 am

I think it is overkill for a office PC; unless this office is planning to try out video editing or running VMs.

My CPU suggestion would be a 3100 or 3300x if they could be found at MSRP; I'm a bit hesitant about the 3200x seeing as it is a generation older and probably isn't supported by your current motherboard selection. From the intel camp consider a i3-10100; it is a bit of a dead end platform but you will eliminate the need for a cheap GPU purchase (not sure about the motherboards)

For motherboard have a look at the MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi; better power delivery, better heatsinks at a better price.

32GB is way too much I think (unless said client is running VMs on this machine)

For 15$ more get the 500GB SSD (might as well get the NVME drive as well since they cost the same, unless it is dramless)

Makes little sense getting a bunch of fans if the case has poor ventilation. Consider a Cooler Master Masterbox NR600 (w Temp Glass if you want that). You will give up that cable hiding bar in the NZXT though.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 16th, 2020, 8:59 am

What kind of office he working in so? Industrial Light & Magic?

A simple functional common office PC for 2020 is:
-8GB RAM
- Intel i5-8500 (which has an on-chip GPU Intel UHD Graphics 630) or later generation Intel i5.
- 256 GB SSD.
- A simple motherboard with at least 4 USB 3.0 ports.
-Micro-ATX case with built-in simple cooling, like https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-mas ... 6811119380

In fact, that's better specs that a Business desktop from the Dell Opti-plex line
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/sr/desktops-n-workstations/optiplex-desktops

OR HP ProDesk business line:
https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/prodesk-600-microtower-349538--1#tab=vao

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 16th, 2020, 9:15 am

Blaze d Chalice wrote:3080 "starting at" $700US which mean 3rd-party/AIB would be about 800, and then shortage/corvid might bring that up to 900 or more,

NDA lifted at 9:00am

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 16th, 2020, 5:50 pm

kamakazi wrote:I think it is overkill for a office PC; unless this office is planning to try out video editing or running VMs.

My CPU suggestion would be a 3100 or 3300x if they could be found at MSRP; I'm a bit hesitant about the 3200x seeing as it is a generation older and probably isn't supported by your current motherboard selection. From the intel camp consider a i3-10100; it is a bit of a dead end platform but you will eliminate the need for a cheap GPU purchase (not sure about the motherboards)

For motherboard have a look at the MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi; better power delivery, better heatsinks at a better price.

32GB is way too much I think (unless said client is running VMs on this machine)

For 15$ more get the 500GB SSD (might as well get the NVME drive as well since they cost the same, unless it is dramless)

Makes little sense getting a bunch of fans if the case has poor ventilation. Consider a Cooler Master Masterbox NR600 (w Temp Glass if you want that). You will give up that cable hiding bar in the NZXT though.

its abit overkill i agree but coming from what the person had before - i will post up pics and specs of it...when i scrap it -
to this.

This is built for stability and performance. - no lagging or sticking -

the person just wanted something to do office work and i dont know what else but he specifically requested wifi.
and i know ASUS boards are really good quality units.

i also future upgraded him as well so for any application he will want to use he essentially have more than enough of everything to run almost anything he would ever need - to run.....

maj. tom wrote:What kind of office he working in so? Industrial Light & Magic?

A simple functional common office PC for 2020 is:
-8GB RAM
- Intel i5-8500 (which has an on-chip GPU Intel UHD Graphics 630) or later generation Intel i5.
- 256 GB SSD.
- A simple motherboard with at least 4 USB 3.0 ports.

lol @ ILM.... :lol:

to be honest he does alot of different things ... man design and built his own automatic crop sprayer among many many other things .....soooo....... so yea... tecnically is ILM.... :lol:

as for the RAM - i unsure what the pc will be used for and well i didnt want to put 2 sticks of 8Gb... as that is too less... and one stick of 16 will be weird....lol...(the ram go be lonely) :lol:
so i opted for 2 16 gigs sticks

parts were already bought ...... so there no undo button now....

but for my next build i will run it with you guys first before hitting the "place order button"

tuner Ted V2 helped alot with the part selection and stuff
so this is as much his build than mine .....so to speak..... 8-)

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 16th, 2020, 5:57 pm

orr well if he doing CAD and other designs, then yeah, your picks good, including the GFx. I thought it was regular office thing which i why i referenced the Dell Opti-Plex builds.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 16th, 2020, 6:04 pm

maj. tom wrote:orr well if he doing CAD and other designs, then yeah, your picks good, including the GFx. I thought it was regular office thing which i why i referenced the Dell Opti-Plex builds.

boi tbh... i have no clue WTF he does be doing on a pc but what i can tell you he does alot of multi tasking - which is why the RAM is high and alot of web browsing so i selected my parts to ensure the hardware side of things is very stable.

he was interested in a clear side casing and RGB lights too but i tell him no.... :lol:
so the casing is a surprise for him ...and well all black is good - no lights ATM

the video card is just there to give a display output as the CPU does not have on board video built into it...
but its fast and powerful for whatever applications he want to use.....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 16th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Waiting to see what the person had before.

Asus can make good boards and they can also make cheap boards. They know the nostalgia people have for the brand name so they have a bit of a tax on their name (you are essentially paying more money for the privilege of the name at the mid to lower price points; similar to an RGB tax where you pay more money to get fancy lights)

Don't know if you ever stumbled across Buildzoid (Actually Hardware Overclocking) on Youtube...make time to watch his videos :)

I see the justification for the RAM but $15 more to get double the storage...but you pull the trigger already.
Let us know how it goes.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 16th, 2020, 7:37 pm

i very curious to know what that cpu is like in real life, On paper its a BEAST and benchmarks ect, I hope to purchase one soon enough because its such a deal, prob when they start to show up used on the market 3600 would work fine too.

i bought my 1600x for 700$ when the second gen launched, still works excellent and havent a need to upgrade yet.
All the parts are very overkill for what the guy needs and would last for years to come, the gpu is the weakest link but then again, the guy isnt doing anything GPU intense. Could slap in any anything and turn this into a gaming pc very quick if he turns to go that way along with a aftermarket air cooler.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » September 16th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Hey all,
Since working from home I miss my dual monitor set up, thinking about getting one. Should i buy online or can i get one down here of decent quality and price, if so where and what brand might be recommended.
Thanks

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 17th, 2020, 2:09 am

kamakazi wrote:Waiting to see what the person had before.

Asus can make good boards and they can also make cheap boards. They know the nostalgia people have for the brand name so they have a bit of a tax on their name (you are essentially paying more money for the privilege of the name at the mid to lower price points; similar to an RGB tax where you pay more money to get fancy lights)

Don't know if you ever stumbled across Buildzoid (Actually Hardware Overclocking) on Youtube...make time to watch his videos :)

I see the justification for the RAM but $15 more to get double the storage...but you pull the trigger already.
Let us know how it goes.

you really what to see what he had before ?
when was the last time u saw or worked on a sempron.?
or worse yet a sempron LE...???

the only thing i will be taking from that pc is going to be the optical drive and the hard drive.
even the casing is soo small it cant be reused....
the power supply is one of those cheap Xtech power supplies ....
the board is a biostar something of the other everything integrated and the ram well is kingston DDR3 - 4gb stick.
the usb wifi dongle will also be salvaged from the pc.

ok so i took your suggestion about the cooler master case and i took a good look at it ...and i MAY opt to buy the cooler master for him and resell the NZXT locally when it gets here for cost price.

the cooler master offering a superior thermal cooling advantage with those vents .

thankfully i just wanted a good board - not any RGB or fancy lights but a simple mirco ATX board with everything - including wifi....and this is modern and has all the features

never saw buildzoid..... will check it out....

the RAM is more than sufficient but again we dont know what he will be using this pc for.....
storage wise - he has his old 500 gig mechanical drive from his old pc to act as storage - the 240 gig is just for the operating system and programs.

in reality if you look at it ...
i spent the bulk of the cash where it counts - board processor and RAM.
everything else is just regular stuff - regular PSU, regular m2 drive, regular video card.
so its not a gaming pc but a serious work office PC..

where there cheaper alternatives .....? yes definitely....

would the cheaper alternatives be able to do what he wants it to do ? maybe not.

Ted_v2 wrote:i very curious to know what that cpu is like in real life, On paper its a BEAST and benchmarks ect, I hope to purchase one soon enough because its such a deal, prob when they start to show up used on the market 3600 would work fine too.

i bought my 1600x for 700$ when the second gen launched, still works excellent and havent a need to upgrade yet.
All the parts are very overkill for what the guy needs and would last for years to come, the gpu is the weakest link but then again, the guy isnt doing anything GPU intense. Could slap in any anything and turn this into a gaming pc very quick if he turns to go that way along with a aftermarket air cooler.

well.... if he decides to sell the rig i will give you first preference on buying the CPU....
again we dont exactly know what he going to use it for eah..... we assume is office work... and well we know its not for gaming cause he doesnt play games.

and yes he can transform it into a gaming pc once he upgrades the video card and power supply.....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 17th, 2020, 3:58 am

Everyone learns something different from the experiences that they had. Even when realating the story to someone else, they will take from it what they want.

I don't have that much faith in mechanical drives past the warranty period. SSDs can also fail but with the prices where they are, that is an additional expense well worth it.

I like to recommend spending a little more on Items like SSDs, mouse and keyboard, case, psu, monitor; items that have the ability to transcend builds. These components can be used until failure

Core components like mbd and CPU and memory tend to get obsolete more quickly. Their window of operation is a lot smaller by comparison and their longevity is dependent on each other. For example if a motherboard fails after 3 years, it would be very difficult or expensive to get a replacement that will work with the others. I generally spend a little less on these components cause I know when any one goes, I am looking at an entire new platform.

I have to ask of everyone...

What is the oldest component in your rig or any rig that you put together for a client that is still being used?

For me, that is a thermaltake tough power 650watt psu. Used daily from around 2008 to present and on its second set of components, awaiting an upgrade.

F40
Riding on 13's

Postby F40 » September 17th, 2020, 3:21 pm

If anyone's interested I've got a Corsair AX1000 Titanium 1000W power supply that's 3 months used.

Great for the new NVIDIA Ampere cards or if you're into mining.

jeevdude199
Shifting into 6th

Postby jeevdude199 » September 21st, 2020, 3:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=756836

If anyone is interested.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 21st, 2020, 4:40 pm

So Microsoft is buying Bethesda
https://news.microsoft.com/2020/09/21/m ... softworks/
2020 brought all sorts of crazy things - including Microsoft Doom

dartzreunion
Ricer

Postby dartzreunion » September 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » September 23rd, 2020, 10:36 am

Hi guys can someone recommend me a good laptop to buy, it just for office use was looking at Lenovo ThinkPad or HP x360 but not how reliable dey are

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 23rd, 2020, 4:44 pm

8K gaming on the Nvidia RTX 3090

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 24th, 2020, 4:09 am

Some time has elapsed since our discussion and I would like to highlight my findings/observations.

Nvidia is looking into ways to have their GPUs access storage (SSDs) directly; using its cores to handle decompression, etc., in an effort to achieve something similar to what the PS5 is touted as having. Both technologies still remain to be seen but it is progressing.

On Nvidia, they don't release drivers that hinder performance of older cards; they do however stop optimising them after some time (usually about 5 yrs)

Finding a 3100/3300x is near to impossible

Let's see what the next generation of CPUs/GPUs can do

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ Wasn't a tough purchase for me, went from 30 FPS on 1060 3GB to 70 FPS on RX 580 8GB

the 8GB VRAM is going to come in real handy very soon as next gen games releases watch and you will see.

At $140 which I paid for this 580 GTS XXX 8GB I didn't even consider any Nvidia alternative not even in the slightest.

With the arrival of faster SSD and games finally being designed and optimized solely for SSD, the reality of 0 load times no matter how large the stage/map

CPUs with 12 threads are a Absolute Minimum with 8 core and 16 threads more in the ball park, just not to bottleneck next gen SSD according to Linus Tech Tips, you seem to keep associating a Game Engine with cores, it isn't just Game Engines at play, it is also compression for next gen SSD that needs huge amounts of cores if you want that perfect seamless gaming experience.

For example PS5 is capable of swapping Textures from SSD TO VRAM instant, giving it the ability to make close up texture resolution seem more like you are dealing with a PC running a GPU with 1TB of VRAM. This is the key point you keep forgetting, have you not read or looked at EPIC's explanation of how next gen gaming will work on Unreal Engine 5
Watch the videos by Linus Tech Tips he explains it perfectly

I will say it again, people who are building a PC now get as much Cores and VRAM as you can, you need to match the Specs of a PS5 for the very least because games are going to be developed for PS5 and ported to PC

PS5 using a Ryzen 3950X it has 8 cores and 16 threads. A PC needs to match this for the minimum if you want any sort of future proofing at all.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 24th, 2020, 6:02 am

accessing ssd's directly, that is what i though about first when i heard they acquired arm. they will put a small arm chip on a gpu, like north bridge and ingest info.
me i thnking they should just put some nand flash chips on the card, and ingest on boot up of a game or program or what ever. and let an AI determine what it benefits from storing locally or not

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 27th, 2020, 12:24 am

Rocket League is free on Epic store at the moment...anyone playing?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 28th, 2020, 7:01 pm

just a little update here guys - so my parts started to come in

power supply already cleared and here !!!

will post up pics and prices when i get everything

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » October 1st, 2020, 11:31 am

Any folks here buying parts locally vs skybox? If so, who has the newer, more exotic items?

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 2nd, 2020, 11:05 pm

inside for some info, i know of a few guys that does imports usual 2 weeks or month warranty.

i know just one that does custom ordering and any issues he does deal direct with the manufacture on your behalf, his prices isnt bad either.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 3rd, 2020, 1:30 am

ok guys so all my parts are here...

including the case i just didnt collect it from my padna despite the skybox delivering to him.

will post up actual pics of the parts soon. and the pricing to clear each item.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 3rd, 2020, 9:03 am

subscribed for the courier pricing.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » October 3rd, 2020, 10:39 am

I'm looking to put a management in my car and try my hand at tuning.Which laptop would you guys recommend or what specs should I be looking for?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”