TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 497 cases, 10 deaths, 348 active, 139 discharged in T&T

Postby Dohplaydat » August 16th, 2020, 11:23 am

neilsingh100 wrote:
pugboy wrote:“ Secondly, we have a government that for the last 3 weeks has been extremely complacent in allowing election activities to go on, playing down the severity of the outbreak. Remember "it's not raging, no community spread, we have it under control, we still Oxford number 1"

This doh care about boasting and ting
They could have implemented the lock down two weeks and I believe the election could have still go on and result would have been more or less the same.

I agree, in fact they'd probably have won by a larger margin as seeing them play politics with Covid turned me off greatly.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 519 cases, 11 deaths, 368 active, 140 discharged in T&T

Postby MaxPower » August 16th, 2020, 11:37 am

Trinis and hygiene just doesnt go together...

This is getting rampant.

But pretty much expected as always and always will be expected from Trinis.

Its a stubborn stubborn mentality.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 497 cases, 10 deaths, 348 active, 139 discharged in T&T

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm

pugboy wrote:Most of the states have drive up testing and they are for any and everybody.
Lot of the persons do go for tests on their own without symptoms.

Redress10 wrote:Low testing is meaningless.

Once you are testing people with symptoms or people with exposure history or risks then those tests will be morw accurate.

You can't waste tests just testing random people when you are aiming to detect and treat. This is not about surveillance. This is about detecting and removing. To narrow it down you have to test based on symptoms.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever woke up in the morning, felt amazing and went by the doctor for a test because you suspect that you are ill?

I am guessing no.

Again. You are not understanding that that is meaningless. A person who is positive for covid in the states after "drive up" testing faces no further mandatory action by the state. There is no state quarantine or treatment. The test result is just a number for surveillanc3 purposes and has nothing to do with treatment.

Here each positive case is quarantined by the state and treated. People are not testing positive and being sent home with a bottle of cough syrup.

So in order to limit wastage and to get an accurate test reading you begin testing based on symptoms.

Why is thay so difficult for some of you all to understand?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 12:11 pm

goalpost wrote:Quick question:
They are classifying cases as pending epidemiological and recent cases.
Then there are those who were tested at a private lab.
Shouldn't those be also classified as either pending or recent?
Or am I missing something?

Stop reading too much into these things. A lot of these things are just medical technical language that is meaningless to you. What you should be concerned about is keeping yourself safe.

You will never be able to trace each and every infection so there will always be some pending epidemiological investigations. Matter of fact, now that they have claimed community spread, they may stop all tracing efforts now.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 157 cases, 8 deaths, 128 discharged in T&T

Postby Country_Bookie » August 16th, 2020, 12:12 pm

maj. tom wrote:7 new cases in 1 day?!
Yeah we hadda lockdown. Or allyuh prefer when the death toll start again instead?
Highlighting this post from July 30th. We had 7 new cases on that day and the total increased to 164. 355 cases in 17 days since. The PM had a press conference on July 31st and we were speculating about another lockdown. We did nothing for 2 weeks and we now suffering the consequences.
For those who'll say hindsight is 2020 , it's not in this case when we had so many examples around the world of countries getting a spike after opening up.

I fully agree with the decision to lockdown, but it should have been done 2 weeks ago.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 16th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Country_Bookie wrote:
Yeah we hadda lockdown. Or allyuh prefer when the death toll start again instead?
Highlighting this post from July 30th. We had 7 new cases on that day and the total increased to 164. 355 cases in 17 days since. The PM had a press conference on July 31st and we were speculating about another lockdown. We did nothing for 2 weeks and we now suffering the consequences.
For those who'll say hindsight is 2020 , it's not in this case when we had so many examples around the world of countries getting a spike after opening up.

I fully agree with the decision to lockdown, but it should have been done 2 weeks ago.

But they had it under control.... There was no community spread.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Once you are testing people with symptoms or people with exposure history or risks then those tests will be morw accurate.

You can't waste tests just testing random people when you are aiming to detect and treat. This is not about surveillance. This is about detecting and removing. To narrow it down you have to test based on symptoms.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever woke up in the morning, felt amazing and went by the doctor for a test because you suspect that you are ill?

I am guessing no.

Please try to understand that 50-70% of Covid cases are mild. Many of these people are being turned away right now which is rediculous because if they don't know they're positive they can be spreading it to persons who will inturn infect other persons. All unknown and out of sight.

Without a fever or other severe symptoms you will be denied testing right now in T&T. In fact, I shall test this tmr as my brother has some mild symptoms and I'll be taking him for a test tomorrow. He has no fever, but has a minor cough, is feeling very fatigued and has mild headaches.

Not suppose to be spreading it, that's why you have the precautions to take and protect others.

Why would I give you a test because you have a cough and no fever? In the event that the test turns out negative, what does that tests tell us? Absolutely nothing.

So you just waste a test and you have no new information to go along with and if the person is still ill then you will need to test again. Do we continue to test until that person has a negative tests to prove they have covid?

What is the cost of using all of these resources on just one person. Multiply this scenario by hundreds and possibly thousands of suspect cases. Think about the false sense of security given to thousands of these cases from a false negative.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » August 16th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Country_Bookie wrote:

FFOS/Gary Aboud drop this. To their credit they did warn the population and the powers that be:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Are you aware that nurses tested positive in mt hope ?

And subesequently some doctors who worked there went and got tested out of their own precaution and curiosity and are now positive with no symptoms.
Imagine if those doctors continued to work.......

You logic is a bit narrow and contrary to everybody except terry’s.

Redress10 wrote:
Again. You are not understanding that that is meaningless. A person who is positive for covid in the states after "drive up" testing faces no further mandatory action by the state. There is no state quarantine or treatment. The test result is just a number for surveillanc3 purposes and has nothing to do with treatment.

Here each positive case is quarantined by the state and treated. People are not testing positive and being sent home with a bottle of cough syrup.

So in order to limit wastage and to get an accurate test reading you begin testing based on symptoms.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 16th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Redress10 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I am guessing no.

Please try to understand that 50-70% of Covid cases are mild. Many of these people are being turned away right now which is rediculous because if they don't know they're positive they can be spreading it to persons who will inturn infect other persons. All unknown and out of sight.

Without a fever or other severe symptoms you will be denied testing right now in T&T. In fact, I shall test this tmr as my brother has some mild symptoms and I'll be taking him for a test tomorrow. He has no fever, but has a minor cough, is feeling very fatigued and has mild headaches.

Not suppose to be spreading it, that's why you have the precautions to take and protect others.

Why would I give you a test because you have a cough and no fever? In the event that the test turns out negative, what does that tests tell us? Absolutely nothing.

So you just waste a test and you have no new information to go along with and if the person is still ill then you will need to test again. Do we continue to test until that person has a negative tests to prove they have covid?

What is the cost of using all of these resources on just one person. Multiply this scenario by hundreds and possibly thousands of suspect cases. Think about the false sense of security given to thousands of these cases from a false negative.

What is wrong with you? A negative test tells you that you're not at risk of spreading it around for the next 2 to 3 weeks. A positive test which is very likely right now if you have a cough and no fever because it's quite prevalent.

You're literally going against what scientists all over the world are saying, you can't control this thing unless you have wide access to testing. Otherwise you'll continue to have growth because people with Covid don't know they have Covid.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 12:46 pm

pugboy wrote:Are you aware that nurses tested positive in mt hope ?

And subesequently some doctors who worked there went and got tested out of their own precaution and curiosity and are now positive with no symptoms.
Imagine if those doctors continued to work.......

You logic is a bit narrow and contrary to everybody except terry’s.

Redress10 wrote:

OK

I think you are misunderstanding a lot of issues. The whole point with these covid measures is to prevent as many deaths as possible. It is a known fact that the vulnerable people in our society are susceptible to the disease. Mainly elderly people. So there will be people who feeling fine and will not display any symptoms. That's all fine and well but do you think that people who have no "symptoms" or who are not "ill" should be allowed to clog up our health institutions? Remember that each positive case is quarantined at the expense of the state.

Put it like this. A person has covid but displays no symptoms. They pass covid to their immediate family who also display no symptoms. Why would these 4 persons need to present themselves to the medical authorities for testing? They don't require medical attention and should be taking precautions to prevent passing the disease to the rest of the community by wearing masks and social distancing. Unfortunately they pass it on to an elderly person in their family. This person becomes badly ill and they present themselves for medical tests and attention. This family is now detected via testing and back tracing begins. Remember they are suppose to be taking precautions outside of their family so the chances of they infecting others suppose to be low to begin with.

You realise it was the vulnerable who presented as a covid case based on "symptoms"? Why are you all so anxious to test if you are not in dire need of medical attention? If you are sick then stay home. It is that simple. If you want to test just for the sake of testing then just go private.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 519 cases, 11 deaths, 368 active, 140 discharged in T&T

Postby Dohplaydat » August 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Redress you literally put the answer as to why we should be testing the nonvulnerable in your own post.

If me and my family are mild, but we don't know we have Covid. The likelihood of spreading it to our co-workers and close family (assuming the live together) is very very high. I can't stay aware from work everytime I get a sore throat or feel a slight headache. If I test positive for Covid I can take serious precautions.

I'll say this again, in many many offices workers are not wearing masks indoors unless they interface with the public.

In Trinidad grandparents are often with grandkids and their own adult children. Mask wearing and other hygienic measures aren't full proof. Spend enough time with someone and they will get it.
Last edited by Dohplaydat on August 16th, 2020, 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Re: The 2020 General Election Thread (AUGUST 10TH)

Postby screwbash » August 16th, 2020, 1:01 pm

beach lime might be some ah dem last lime, last time they might see the beach so let them enjoy it. Some people dying a few days after getting d covid so let them enjoy the last. as rupee say enjoy yourself in the mas cause it could be your last.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Somebody in here was hinting before about something down the islands.

Covid 19 now RAGING among the 1% due to some party 200 of them attended down the islands.

Some real big 1% names ALLEGEDLY have it and doing testing at private lab at a cost of about $2,500.00 per person.

Tuner CSI's please get to work.
Last edited by bluefete on August 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

I think we will have to agree to disagree with him.

Testing is also being used for a variety of purposes other than confirming spread possibility.

Eg in China they are repeatedly testing communities with no cases in an attempt to make sure the residents are clean. Of course that is an extreme example but shows why China has few cases now, a bit draconian but it ensures geographic areas can be deemed clean and that is how they do gps phone tracking.
India also has this, if U live in area where cases popped up you may now need to be tested and not allowed to move out of that area via the app until repeated testing put that area as clean again.

Dohplaydat wrote:Redress you literally put the answer as to why testing the nonvulnerable in your own post.

If me and my family are mild, but we don't know we have Covid. The likelihood of spreading it to our co-workers and close family (assuming the live together) is very very high. I can't stay aware from work everytime I get a sore throat or feel a slight headache. If I test positive for Covid I can take serious precautions.

I'll say this again, in many many offices workers are not wearing masks indoors unless they interface with the public.

In Trinidad grandparents are often with grandkids and their own adult children. Mask wearing and other hygienic measures aren't full proof. Spend enough time with someone and they will get it.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 16th, 2020, 1:06 pm

That info not correct though, only staml private lab is authorized and their price is $1650 or something like that.

bluefete wrote:Somebody in here was hinting before about something down the islands.

Covid 19 now RAGING among the 1% due to some party 200 of them attended down the islands.

Some real big 1% names ALLEGEDLY have it and doing testing at private lab at a cost of about $2,500.00 per person.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I am guessing no.

What is wrong with you? A negative test tells you that you're not at risk of spreading it around for the next 2 to 3 weeks. A positive test which is very likely right now if you have a cough and no fever because it's quite prevalent.

You're literally going against what scientists all over the world are saying, you can't control this thing unless you have wide access to testing. Otherwise you'll continue to have growth because people with Covid don't know they have Covid.

A NEGATIVE TEST DOES NOT TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE NOT AT RISK OF SPREADING IT AROUND FOR THE NEXT 2 TO 3 WEEKS.

That is not how testing works or its purpose. Most anti viral test search for anti bodies in your system. These anti bodies are only possible after your immune system has reacted to the foreign body infecting you. This is similar to an HIV test. This is why you can't go and test for hiv minutes/hours or even days after an exposure. It takes at least 6 weeks to get an accurate hiv test and confirmation after after 3 months or so. That is because at 6 weeks post exposure, most people (95%) or more will develop enough antibodies to test positive and at 3 months+ (99%) of persons will test positive.

Apply that to covid. A covid tests is considered accurate at 14 days. That is why the window period is 14 days. This means that at 14 days post exposure, most people(99%), would test positive for covid if they have the virus.

Most people who develop symptoms, develop symptoms between day 2 and 7 of being infected. The average being 5 days. Most people who have covid would probably test positive by day 7. So in order for you to have an accurate ideas as to whether or not you do have the virus, you would need to test on day 7 post exposure and if that test is negative then test on day 15+ to confirm your negative status. This ofcourse is contingent on if you have had no new exposures.

So for someone to know their "true" covid status, they are going to have to continuously tests atleast every 7 days with the day 15 test acting as confirmation for the test taken at day 7.

Hope that clears up testing for you.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 16th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Testing is not foolproof but it's a good indication of what risk you pose. Again, you're blindly looking only at the outcome of negative tests, what if I'm mild and unsure whether it's Covid. The testing of mild to asymptomatic cases are MORE important in containing Covid-19 as those persons can be quarentined to avoid spreading it.

Read this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 16th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Redress10 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I am guessing no.

You are completely in error. You cannot stop an infected person from viral spreading unless they are in quarantine. You cannot know who requires quarantine unless they are tested.

Social distancing and masks are mitigating actions -- not preventative action.

If your position is that TTO does not have the necessary resources with 20,000 test kits available, that's not the same.

Your position may be better explained by stating:

Trinidad and Tobago lacks the epidemiological testing facilities and financial resources to test 0.25% of the population daily (3,500 tests per day) as recommended by the WHO and US CDC for infection prevalence assessment.

In lieu of these methods, Trinidad and Tobago seeks to identify those individuals that are most likely infected and limit the physical interaction of the remainder of the population until such time that a vaccine is widely available.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 16th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Beaches crowded all over today

Video taken from Whatsapp, credit goes to the owner.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » August 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm

bluefete wrote:Somebody in here was hinting before about something down the islands.

Yep, guys who hold prestigious positions and holdings of the same nature.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 16th, 2020, 1:34 pm

pugboy wrote:That info not correct though, only staml private lab is authorized and their price is $1650 or something like that.

Thank you.

But then it is unfair for people to be calling out names of top 1% as being Covid positive, if it is not so.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm

But one big name, senior in age, real riling up because family members alleged exposed them to Covid.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 16th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Bosses are speaking
Attachments
117335868_2753423394980984_2751283890031825635_o.jpg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 16th, 2020, 1:41 pm

^^ Yuh think anyone taking him on?

Shakes: What is the story with the 1%?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 1:43 pm

adnj wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I am guessing no.

You are completely in error. You cannot stop an infected person from viral spreading unless they are in quarantine. You cannot know who requires quarantine unless they are tested.

If your position is that TTO does not have the necessary resources with 20,000 test kits available, that's not the same.

Trinidad and Tobago lacks the epidemiological testing facilities and financial resources to test 0.25% of the population daily (3,500 tests per day) as recommended by the WHO and US CDC for infection prevalence assessment.

In lieu of these methods, Trinidad and Tobago seeks to identify those individuals that are most likely infected and limit the physical interaction of the remainder of the population until such time that a vaccine is widely available.

So why isn't state quarantine an international policy then. Why is it a covid positive test in the developed nations doesn't result in state quarantined and persons are just sent home and left to their own devices?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » August 16th, 2020, 1:47 pm

adnj wrote:You are completely in error. You cannot stop an infected person from viral spreading unless they are in quarantine. You cannot know who requires quarantine unless they are tested.

Well said adnj

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » August 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Imagine taking a covid test that come back negative and on your way back home you get infected and walking around feeling happy because you "don't have covid".

Dangerous

Anyone spending 2600tt on a covid test stupid and alarmist. Might as well send somebody to buy 2600tt in grocery, pharmaceuticals and isolate yaself for 2 weeks instead.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 16th, 2020, 2:00 pm

U using chicken and egg argument now lol

Redress10 wrote:Imagine taking a covid test that come back negative and on your way back home you get infected and walking around feeling happy because you "don't have covid".

Dangerous

Anyone spending 2600tt on a covid test stupid and alarmist. Might as well send somebody to buy 2600tt in grocery, pharmaceuticals and isolate yaself for 2 weeks instead.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 16th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Redress10 wrote:
adnj wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I am guessing no.

So why isn't state quarantine an international policy then. Why is it a covid positive test in the developed nations doesn't result in state quarantined and persons are just sent home and left to their own devices?

If you are talking about the US they are just letting over 150000 of their citizens die. I don't really think that's an example to follow.

New Zealand IS using state quarantine and they were successful in virtually eliminating Covid. They have a new wave but it's small and they will likely be successful again as they didn't wait like we did this time.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”