Forums

JL XD 700/5 Sub Channel?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ryan123
Street 2NR

JL XD 700/5 Sub Channel?

Postby Ryan123 » May 16th, 2020, 11:22 am

Hi all, hope all is well during this covid 19 pandemic.

I am have an issue with a JL Audio XD 700/5v2, quick rundown of my install Headunit: Pioneer S600BS, JL 700/5 and an IDQ v3 8 D4 in a sealed enclosure installed in a small Hatchback, problem is I find the bass is lacking, most of my bass is coming from my door speakers, gains were set with a DMM according to the manual and I have done a very basic "RTA tune" via a mobile app, Front HP Filter @ 80 (on a set of two way components), Rear HP Filter @ 110 (Set of coaxial) and Sub LP @ 60.

The sub woofer works but I still feel like it's lacking I have also tried an ID CTX 10 S4 in a ported enclosure and you can barely notice its there. Does any one have any suggestions to what can be done to improve my bass output or if it may be some other issue?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: JL XD 700/5 Sub Channel?

Postby Rovin » May 16th, 2020, 11:52 am

try sub LPF at 80hz ...

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 16th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Could be box orientation.

Also, aint no replacement for displacement. Cone area with low power adds up fast.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 16th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Sub bass lacking in a hatchback???

How loud do you want your bassline

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » May 17th, 2020, 10:20 am

1 8" in sealed box is not much output. Did you try flipping the phase?
I'll advise going ported if you struggling with output on the sub. Judging from your equipment your bass should be at least a sufficient bump.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 17th, 2020, 7:24 pm

From looking at his crossover points, I think his choice of equipment is wrong.

Seems he wants a park and play / heard coming around the corner / damage your hearing kinda system. Went with $$$ to a store and thought more expensive means top of the line so it will bark.

3- 400 watts with adequate cone area can be satisfying. 500 watts up can get uncomfortable easy.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 17th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Idq8's are accurate but very underwhelming, and sealed worst yet. Go ported or as mentioned above more cone area.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » May 18th, 2020, 3:50 pm

OP you got thru?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 19th, 2020, 10:06 am

The XD is only 300RMS on sub if I remember correctly. I bought this amp 3 separate times for 3 separate builds. Lovely amp, until I found something better.

I found it lacking on a 10" sealed RF P3. It filled the cabin nicely, but lacked the deep lows that you get with ported.

Try deadheading your sub filters at the HU level, and run the amp slope at 12db/oct with a 80hz cutoff.

Ryan123
Street 2NR

Postby Ryan123 » May 19th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Rovin wrote:try sub LPF at 80hz ...

alot better @ 80Hz Thanks Rovin

nervewrecker wrote:From looking at his crossover points, I think his choice of equipment is wrong.

Seems he wants a park and play / heard coming around the corner / damage your hearing kinda system. Went with $$$ to a store and thought more expensive means top of the line so it will bark.

3- 400 watts with adequate cone area can be satisfying. 500 watts up can get uncomfortable easy.

lol, never liked those types of installs and never will. I purchased that amp because of the low current draw, chose all my components wisely to suit the vehicle it's in and my tastes in music.

VexXx Dogg wrote:The XD is only 300RMS on sub if I remember correctly. I bought this amp 3 separate times for 3 separate builds. Lovely amp, until I found something better.

I found it lacking on a 10" sealed RF P3. It filled the cabin nicely, but lacked the deep lows that you get with ported.

Try deadheading your sub filters at the HU level, and run the amp slope at 12db/oct with a 80hz cutoff.

Will try this out.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 19th, 2020, 7:52 pm

good that it improved by simply changing lpf from 60 to 80 , was easy to spot seeing u have a gap there

next as said above if sub can be moved : try different positions , enclosure location can make a noticeable difference

or try a ported box preferably tuned to a flat response curve so u still get a smooth roll off but more output & try it with different positions too

& if that still not cutting it then like nerve said move up to more cone area like at least a 10 ported ...

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 19th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Idq8's are so tame.

Only way to get some decent output from mines was with a t-line enclosure. But a subsonic filter was a must.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » May 20th, 2020, 12:34 am

Five things matter with the choice of an electrical x-over point:

1. Frequency (e.g. 60 Hz)
2. Slope (commonly 6,12, 18 or 24dB/octave)
3. X-over relative gain (in dB)
4. Relative phase
5. Delay (usually in ms, though it can be quoted in terms of distance, e.g. "cm")

Five things will influence the choices made above:

1. The location of the speakers relative to the listener
2. The relative sensitivities of each speaker in their passbands
3. Loudspeaker driver frequency response power-handling capabilities
4. "Cabin-gain" and other cabin-related issues that impact the frequency response
5. Listening preferences, e.g. SPL frequency response

So, that's about TEN different things you've got to consider to get the best results. That's a LOT of variables to consider. So when someone suggests to just change one of those variables, like shift the x-over frequency, what about the others? :-)

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 20th, 2020, 7:59 am

moving crossover freq from 60hz to 80hz increased bass output??

something doesn't sound right there to me sub bass is from 60hz down

cabin gain in a hatch is higher than a sedan

your sub is rated from 50watts to 500 watts
the xd sub channel puts out 300 rms at 2 ohm at 14.4 volts
sub channel rca voltage out on the deck is 4 volts

suggest not using the xvover on the deck and use the variable xovers on the amp as well as re check your gain level settings

the sub will be under powered but the system should still sound balanced based on the equipment you have

also a possibility the sub is either in series or out of phase when paralleled to bring it down to 2 ohm

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » May 20th, 2020, 10:01 am

SR wrote:also a possibility the sub is either in series or out of phase when paralleled to bring it down to 2 ohm

Good call! I've noticed manufacturers mislabeled terminals in the past as well.

OP does the cone move alot when playing at high volume?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 20th, 2020, 2:20 pm

sub bass is really supposed to be 50hz down [this is how mine is set in my wagon, my front speakers start from 50] but most typical listeners wud prefer their sets a bit boomier\punchier like from 80 down thats why i suggested 80 as a starting point to see if that wud suit OP's preference ... then u look at d other factors

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2020, 10:29 pm

Rovin wrote:sub bass is really supposed to be 50hz down [this is how mine is set in my wagon, my front speakers start from 50] but most typical listeners wud prefer their sets a bit boomier\punchier like from 80 down thats why i suggested 80 as a starting point to see if that wud suit OP's preference ... then u look at d other factors

I heard a few systems crossed kinda high and they sound kinda ok. I myself prefer low as I dont like it too boomy.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 20th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Highest I'll cross a sub is 65, above that it pulls your hearing towards the sub location.

Ryan123
Street 2NR

Postby Ryan123 » May 26th, 2020, 10:58 am

SR wrote:moving crossover freq from 60hz to 80hz increased bass output??

something doesn't sound right there to me sub bass is from 60hz down

cabin gain in a hatch is higher than a sedan

your sub is rated from 50watts to 500 watts
the xd sub channel puts out 300 rms at 2 ohm at 14.4 volts
sub channel rca voltage out on the deck is 4 volts

suggest not using the xvover on the deck and use the variable xovers on the amp as well as re check your gain level settings

the sub will be under powered but the system should still sound balanced based on the equipment you have

also a possibility the sub is either in series or out of phase when paralleled to bring it down to 2 ohm

I finally got to do a long highway run this weekend, listened to various types of music, the 80Hz cross point didn't really increase bass output per say but I can actually hear the sub over the door speakers if that makes sense lol, but it's still not performing as I think it should, I will try and set over the gains but right now the only way I am getting any decent sound output is using the xover on the headunit. considering getting it tuned professionally, if I can find a good shop near by.

Was browsing through a few forums, most people seem to have luck with this amp and a ported enclosure, so may consider rebuilding or I am eyeing the JL microsub enclosures as I want to get as much trunk space as possible but those are way out of budget at the moment.

Brian Steele wrote:Five things matter with the choice of an electrical x-over point:

1. Frequency (e.g. 60 Hz)
2. Slope (commonly 6,12, 18 or 24dB/octave)
3. X-over relative gain (in dB)
4. Relative phase
5. Delay (usually in ms, though it can be quoted in terms of distance, e.g. "cm")

Five things will influence the choices made above:

1. The location of the speakers relative to the listener
2. The relative sensitivities of each speaker in their passbands
3. Loudspeaker driver frequency response power-handling capabilities
4. "Cabin-gain" and other cabin-related issues that impact the frequency response
5. Listening preferences, e.g. SPL frequency response

So, that's about TEN different things you've got to consider to get the best results. That's a LOT of variables to consider. So when someone suggests to just change one of those variables, like shift the x-over frequency, what about the others? :-)

Certainly alot to think about. Still learning thanks for the input.

Rovin wrote:& if that still not cutting it then like nerve said move up to more cone area like at least a 10 ported ...

but should't I have heard a difference with the CTX 10 as it's in a ported enclosure, had it in my previous vehicle on 110wrms and it performed exceptionally well, this amp does 180wrms @ 4 ohms assuming my electrical is sufficient, wouldn't have I heard a difference? it's just odd to me because it looked as though the sub was struggling.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » May 26th, 2020, 11:14 am

Seems that your issue can be a combination of incorrect gain setting as well as lack of output of the sealed enclosure.
I have two 6.5 subs and bass is plenty much. I only have 300W driving them as well.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 26th, 2020, 11:54 am

considering getting it tuned professionally, if I can find a good shop near by.

that can be a funny thing eh , read d couple of sticky topics on top this ICE section

depending on shop they might :
do it by ear by playing around with settings til "it sound good" to their ears which u may or my not like
or with a DMM
or with SMD meters or O scope
they might choose a high hpf like 100hz or more for d speakers so "it dont sound distorted" or their taste is for "d mids to bark" :lol:
or bass boost or loud botton for d sub to "bump harder" or suggest they build u a "specs" 40+hz tuned ported box so "it go sound louder" :D ........ :roll:

crossover points can easily be chosen & set but not many shops wud own or use a proper RTA tool
then EQing is subjective to ears & personal preference

i suggest u continue reading to learn some more, watch some reputable youtube vids & try stuff urself 1st so even if u do go by a "pro shop" u will have a idea of whats going on ...

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » May 27th, 2020, 11:08 am

I have a sealed setup. Sounds good inside the vehicle but can't hear it more than 7 ft away I would think. Suits my taste fine as the music is for my enjoyment. But with such small power, you need to go ported or go with a sub with a larger cone area as this would give you a little edge.

Ryan123
Street 2NR

Postby Ryan123 » July 9th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:I have a sealed setup. Sounds good inside the vehicle but can't hear it more than 7 ft away I would think. Suits my taste fine as the music is for my enjoyment. But with such small power, you need to go ported or go with a sub with a larger cone area as this would give you a little edge.

Don't really care that much about hearing it far away, my issue is that the sub doesn't feel present, definitely going to build a ported enclosure for it sometime in the future.

Anyway a little update:

Ended up purchasing a handheld oscilloscope, set the amp gains with it, huge difference in mids and highs slight difference in the sub was able to carry the crossover back down to 50Hz, it's pretty good now, I did attempt to find the clipping point of my headunit but only got a good voltage @ max volume (2.3V) other than that the wave was un readable at lower volumes so ended up using the 3/4 method. Also found out that the signal from the sub out is only coming from the Left RCA it may be an issue with the unit itself .

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 9th, 2020, 6:08 pm

some ppl dont ever come back online as a courtesy follow up on their threads - so thats good to hear OP ....

SQBOY
Street 2NR

Postby SQBOY » July 9th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Good info here. Glad you got it sorted out.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » July 9th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Ryan123 wrote:
Ted_v2 wrote:I have a sealed setup. Sounds good inside the vehicle but can't hear it more than 7 ft away I would think. Suits my taste fine as the music is for my enjoyment. But with such small power, you need to go ported or go with a sub with a larger cone area as this would give you a little edge.

Don't really care that much about hearing it far away, my issue is that the sub doesn't feel present, definitely going to build a ported enclosure for it sometime in the future.

Anyway a little update:

Ended up purchasing a handheld oscilloscope, set the amp gains with it, huge difference in mids and highs slight difference in the sub was able to carry the crossover back down to 50Hz, it's pretty good now, I did attempt to find the clipping point of my headunit but only got a good voltage @ max volume (2.3V) other than that the wave was un readable at lower volumes so ended up using the 3/4 method. Also found out that the signal from the sub out is only coming from the Left RCA it may be an issue with the unit itself .

Depending on how the amplifier input stage treats the sub L/R inputs, this may have a effect on your subwoofer output. Use a rca splitter to provide signal to both sub inputs in the interim.

Ryan123
Street 2NR

Postby Ryan123 » July 24th, 2020, 8:07 am

kavaninho wrote:Depending on how the amplifier input stage treats the sub L/R inputs, this may have a effect on your subwoofer output. Use a rca splitter to provide signal to both sub inputs in the interim.

Thanks for the heads up, got a splitter, everything is working great now.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » July 24th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Great. Go for the ported sub box now ! lol

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”