TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Novel Coronavirus - “COVID-19” - 87 cases, 3 deaths confirmed in T&T

Postby hydroep » March 31st, 2020, 6:43 pm

Spare a thought for the taxi drivers. If they get food cards and the loss of income grant several other categories of workers should be eligible too..:|

Point Fortin taxi drivers want numbers rule relaxed
Yvonne Webb

Point Fortin taxi drivers are calling for a relaxation of the rules which now restrict the number of passengers they can carry during a trip.

They are also asking that they be considered eligible for food cards and the loss-of-income grant.

As one of the measures to prevent the spread of the covid19 virus, government has mandated that public transport vehicles operate with no more than 50 per cent of their licensed capacity.

President of the Point Fortin Taxi Drivers Association, John David, is now appealing to the Minister of Works and Transport to increase the number to five passengers instead of three in a seven-seater vehicle.

He said the association met to discuss the financial strain this new arrangement will have on the drivers who operate between Point Fortin and San Fernando in mainly seven-seater vehicles. David said there was consensus that the members approach the minister. He explained that passengers can be spaced out to maintain social distancing.

“Instead of the three, we want to carry five – two in the back, two in the middle and one in the front. We understand the situation the country is going through and we want to do our part to help, but with three passengers, we can’t make at all.”

Commenting on a message circulating on social media over the weekend that fares had been raised from $15 to $30, David said the association never sanctioned any increase in fares and they are resisting any such move because “everybody in the same predicament.

“Some drivers want to do what they want to do, and some who want to do what they want to do are not members of the association. That message circulating about a raise in fare is false information.”

He said the drivers are also in a bind because one of the service stations which offers CNG at Mon Repos, San Fernando has been closed. He said one of the gas stations in Point Fortin is also closed adding further pressure on drivers.

David said they are trying their best to provide a necessary service, but in light of the restrictions and fewer passengers travelling, asked for food cards for his members.

He said given that government has granted concessions for people who have lost their jobs as the country goes on a two-week stay-at-home restriction, he pleaded with government to consider taxi drivers for the $1,500 loss-of-income grant.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/03/31/point-fortin-taxi-drivers-want-numbers-rule-relaxed/

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 31st, 2020, 6:45 pm

Heaven forbid Carphas one test machine break down then
pugboy wrote:I feel carpha unable to handle high test loads, they said they only have one PCR machine and the tests take several hours or so to get a result due to the process. Plus they are testing for other caribbean countries.

they would not want to come out and say they dont have capacity to handle all the tests given their responsibilties to the various countries.
Last edited by Dizzy28 on March 31st, 2020, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 31st, 2020, 6:49 pm

Yuh cyar blame the man...can you?...:|

Barry left the day the borders closed
Carolyn Kissoon

Just hours before the Trinidad and Tobago borders were officially closed at midnight last week Sunday, Princes Town MP Barry Padarath boarded a flight out of the country.

He was among hundreds of people, mainly non-nationals, attempting to leave T&T as the Government enforced the announcement of locking down its air and sea ports.

The Express reached out to Padarath last week Tuesday, asking why he opted to leave the country during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

He said: “I am a parent before a politician.” Padarath explained he wanted to be with his infant daughter, who is a citizen of the United States.

Padarath said: “My infant daughter is an American citizen who does not hold dual citizenship.

‘Self-quarantine’

“I didn’t apply for citizenship because of the vicious political attacks, knowing that she would be used by my political opponents as a pawn in the political arena.”

Padarath said his daughter was required to leave Trinidad and Tobago in January. The child returned to the United States for that reason, as well as her medical check-ups, he said.

“Since then, she has been in the US with my family while I have been back and forth. However, in light of the global pandemic and the announcement of the closure of borders, I could not risk that my infant daughter would be in the land of her birth while I am stuck in Trinidad ­unable to get to her in the event of an emergency,” he said.

He has been in self-quarantine since ­arriving in the United States.

Last week Monday, Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar said she had recommitted herself and the United National Congress to working with the Government where “legally possible” in the fight against COVID-19.

She said: “...Through our roles as MPs and local government councillors, and in accordance to our constitutional mandate and oath of office, to ensure that all decisions taken by the Government to utilise State resources to serve and protect our population at this time of crisis is actively and duly supported by my party.”

‘Constituents’ needs ­addressed’

Padarath said, however, his constituency office continues to function and, through technology, he has been able to stay in touch with staff and colleagues. He said the needs of his constituents were being ­addressed.

“I think every reasonable person would understand that as a parent, my child is my priority,” he said.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/barry-left-the-day-the-borders-closed/article_0248c948-7349-11ea-9d49-87103ee33344.html
Last edited by hydroep on March 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 31st, 2020, 6:49 pm

banks only handling simple transactions, such as money withdrawals... cant wtih draw money from an app.

people still have thigns to sort out, still hadda buy food. still hadda buy gas, etc.... u would expect some amount of activity.

but for the government to come out and encourage people to come out and line up to file tax documents... when they should be leading the charge wrt reducing activity... thats and indictment on them for being too complacent and focusing on other things during this whole thing.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm

Honestly surprised Duke and dem eh shut down Government offices yet...:|

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Novel Coronavirus - “COVID-19” - 87 cases, 3 deaths confirmed in T&T

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm

Country_Bookie wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
rexsmith wrote:based on is going on across the world and the lockdown taken. what is your estimate for things to normalize here and business as usual?

I have been looking at the stats and it seems we're 3-4 weeks away from our peak. Cases should start increasing in frequency later this week I imagine.

However, as of now, people with mild symptoms are being told not to come in for testing unless it starts getting serious.

With the mad rush and lack of social distancing last week, expect a surge of cases to develop in the next 2 weeks.

From the looks of it though we now start and far from normalized just yet. Peaks tend to last 2 weeks as well.

So maybe ~6 weeks we'll be back to some normality I hope.
The lack of social distancing being displayed by trinis is atrocious. All these ppl in lines outside banks and groceries almost jamming up on one another. Since last week Thursday it start and still going on. Community spread from panic buying.

We like to look down on our brothers from the small islands but they're handling this much better than us. Curfews, SOE, groceries only partially opened, banks closed etc. With all the smart phones in Trinidad, why do ppl need to line up to go in the bank ? Can't they use smart phones or ATMs? And is not old ppl, it's ppl under 60. Apparently literacy is a problem too, they didn't read all the notices from the banks about the 1st hour being reserved for the elderly..... so these ppl lining up from 7 in the morning until after 9. We're doomed if we have to rely on these ppl being responsible to stop the spread.

Hello CB,

You are absolutely correct and in every way. And as our fellow team member, paid_influencer stated, this was allowed by Young and Co.

Oh medical advice from the experts my ass. The govt KNOWS the distasteful behavior of Trinidadians and they STILL gave them this huge responsibility??

We needed a total lock down weeks ago and a violent force for anyone in breach. The loss of lives so far and what is to come are on the hands of the inconsiderate and ignorant citizens of T&T.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 31st, 2020, 6:56 pm

...remember Ebola...:|

Bodies of COVID-19 victims to be disposed of quickly
Anna-Lisa Paul

The families of patients who die as a result of the COVID-19 virus will not be able to retain possession of their corpses.

Instead, health officials say while they are trying to observe religious protocols and ensure cultural sensitivity is upheld, they have to be mindful of the potential threats posed to the remaining population.

During a press conference yesterday, Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram explained, “Our process is basically adopted from the World Health Organization. We did have consultations with the various religious groups as well to refine it a little bit and make sure we are culturally sensitive as well.”

He went on, “The basis on which we based our process is that the deceased body can spread COVID-19 and there must be limited if not, little or no contact with another individual unless they are wearing the appropriate PPE so we will limit spread of the virus.”

Parasram stressed, “In terms of the family being allowed custody, the body will usually go in these cases, from the hospital to the funeral home and then directly to the grave site or the crematorium. There is no home visit. There is no church visit. There is no visit to a place of worship in these cases.”

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said officials from the Undertakers Association of T&T met with the CEO of the North Central Regional Health Authority (NCRHA) to come up with protocols to deal with the disposal of bodies - whether via burial or cremation.

Referring to the devastating effects of the Ebola virus which had decimated world populations, Deyalsingh said, “I want to remind the population that the epidemic spread of Ebola was so bad at that time because people did not understand that handling the body…the virus was still alive and in Africa, you have rituals that demand the family actually wash the body themselves and that caused an explosion in the cases of Ebola.”

He added, “So we must learn from that experience and apply similar protocols to COVID-19 because as the Chief Medical Officer said, it is still possible that when you have a deceased person, you can still have infection.”

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/bodies-of-covid19-victims-to-be-disposed-of-quickly-6.2.1089686.a739db2698

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 31st, 2020, 7:15 pm

The lady from CARPHA said on TV that they only have 4000 test. They bought 2000 more and the Chinese promised 4000.

So 10000 test...

Oh and yeah.... Dais to share for the entire Caribbean Caricom...18 million plus people not jus Trinidad.
pugboy wrote:I feel carpha unable to handle high test loads, they said they only have one PCR machine and the tests take several hours or so to get a result due to the process. Plus they are testing for other caribbean countries.

they would not want to come out and say they dont have capacity to handle all the tests given their responsibilties to the various countries.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 7:21 pm

notice they never say how many tests they do for the other caribbean countries
so they must be run thru more than half of the test kits they have and trying to stretch it like adding more water to parlor juice

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 31st, 2020, 7:25 pm

Gladiator wrote:The lady from CARPHA said on TV that they only have 4000 test. They bought 2000 more and the Chinese promised 4000.

So 10000 test...

Oh and yeah.... Dais to share for the entire Caribbean Caricom...18 million plus people not jus Trinidad.

they would not want to come out and say they dont have capacity to handle all the tests given their responsibilities to the various countries.

i thought they decided to certify other labs? al these untested ppl would be going around infecting ppl- and yeah i know dey say stay home but it have a lot of ESSENTIAL businesses eh- they could have an infected worker spreading it- if they were tested they would be self isolating regardless of where they work and wouldn't be allowed even in d grocery.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » March 31st, 2020, 7:40 pm

A family member of mine went into SFGH Sunday due to non corona issue, when said person got discharged today, the doctor strongly advised that they find somewhere and stay ALONE for the next few weeks and don't return to said place of habitat where other people reside

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » March 31st, 2020, 7:42 pm

" .. Senior Counsel Israel Khan is calling for the declaration of a state of emergency.

In a letter, Khan urged the Prime Minister “to declare a state of emergency for a short period of three months and, if necessary, further three-month periods until the virus is no longer a threat to our lives in TT.” .. "

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/03/31/attorn ... nd-tobago/

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 8:14 pm

T&T is in too much of a relaxed state for any SOE.

This is all a joke and a vacation to many.

Anyways, allyuh enjoy it.

Imbert waiting to raise prices on allyuh MC for everything when things settle.

Heheh ehehhee ehehhehe ehehe hehehe hehehehehehe ehehhe heheheheheh hehehehehe hehehehehe hehehehe *imbert laugh*

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 31st, 2020, 8:15 pm

^ But what will a SOE do exactly?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 31st, 2020, 8:19 pm

FINALLY thank god the FDA has come to their senses

This will save us even if it was originally developed for malaria, it works well in most cases for covid

Allyuh ready to take a malaria drug? at worse you not gonna die besides it is safe even if we wiped out malaria in this region a long time ago

linton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby linton » March 31st, 2020, 8:21 pm

RedVEVO wrote:" .. Senior Counsel Israel Khan is calling for the declaration of a state of emergency.

In a letter, Khan urged the Prime Minister “to declare a state of emergency for a short period of three months and, if necessary, further three-month periods until the virus is no longer a threat to our lives in TT.” .. "

The article here since Sunday morning.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 8:21 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ But what will a SOE do exactly?

Hello ED,

I remember you asking this earlier but i forgot to comment.

And SOE will forcefully keep the irresponsible tribesmen of T&T at home to avoid further community spread.

All this assness with jumbling up like stink sardines all over the country would have never happened.

Can you imagine how much less of a spread it would have been for the past few weeks?

So in summary, a SOE flattens the curve for both Covid 19 AND the Trinidadian mentality.
Last edited by MaxPower on March 31st, 2020, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby linton » March 31st, 2020, 8:25 pm

Then they'd be able to enforce the stay at home . Right now you can't take away citizens rights , that's why they asking the public not forcing to stay home and Gary is saying he has to operate within the law .

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 31st, 2020, 8:27 pm

MaxPower wrote:

Hello ED,

I remember you asking this earlier but i forgot to comment.

And SOE will forcefully keep the irresponsible tribesmen of T&T at home to avoid further community spread.

All this assness with jumbling up like stink sardines all over the country would have never happened.

Can you imagine how much less spread it would have been for the pass few weeks?

So in summary, a SOE flattens the curve for both Covid 19 AND the Trinidadian mentality.

'ooh ok thanks for clearing this up I agree a SOE does make sense now that you have explained it.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 8:28 pm

he now get released from quarantine

linton wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:" .. Senior Counsel Israel Khan is calling for the declaration of a state of emergency.

The article here since Sunday morning.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 8:30 pm

an soe would have curfew times when you could go outside to buy food, might actually cause more panic lineup buying given our mentality.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 8:39 pm

pugboy wrote:an soe would have curfew times when you could go outside to buy food, might actually cause more panic lineup buying given our mentality.

Hello puggy,

In a proper SOE, the people dont dictate the pace.

When the enforcers say jump....the people start heading for the cliff.

It have no selective graceful shopping and all that dotishness and this kinda whining and crying Trinis like to do.

But we in a real dilemma.....harden Trinis and an incompetent government inclusive of the opposition.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 31st, 2020, 8:50 pm

ru$$ell wrote:A family member of mine went into SFGH Sunday due to non corona issue, when said person got discharged today, the doctor strongly advised that they find somewhere and stay ALONE for the next few weeks and don't return to said place of habitat where other people reside

:wiggle: :changes: :elephant: :evilbat: :mrgreen:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 9:03 pm

It is still experimental and double blind tests yet to be done but they trying anything they can in these desperate times.
Under normal circumstances approving a drug would never happen so quick.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:FINALLY thank god the FDA has come to their senses

This will save us even if it was originally developed for malaria, it works well in most cases for covid

Allyuh ready to take a malaria drug? at worse you not gonna die besides it is safe even if we wiped out malaria in this region a long time ago

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 31st, 2020, 9:05 pm

Bro... that have some dread side effects. Had to take it for most of a year while assigned to West Africa... Hallucinations, depression, digestive issues, Blood pressure irregularities, sleeping disorders just to name a few.

Those drugs were blamed for soldiers coming back home and killing their whole family in the US. I prefer to just stay inside....

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » March 31st, 2020, 9:07 pm

so just a warning of how things could be;
I've just been reliably informed that St. Lucia has gone into a 7 day TOTAL lockdown from 5 am tomorrow morning to 5am 7th April. People were not adhering to the curfew measures in place to curtail the spread so drastic measures were implemented.
carry on.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » March 31st, 2020, 9:28 pm

SOE will create more rush during off curfew hours..seriously outside is like a ghost town with people few and far in between,SOE would create lines with everybody coming out same time...saybwhat you want about an SOE,even that cannot trump humanity.. as it stands Trinis are doing well IMHO...just look around when you go out again..I'm sure everyone who's old enough remember the off curfew runs during 1990,the lines,the shortages etc..it was like clock work ,infact it was clockwork.work with everyone raring to go as soon as the time come..

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 31st, 2020, 9:42 pm

Gladiator wrote:Bro... that have some dread side effects. Had to take it for most of a year while assigned to West Africa... Hallucinations, depression, digestive issues, Blood pressure irregularities, sleeping disorders just to name a few.

Those drugs were blamed for soldiers coming back home and killing their whole family in the US. I prefer to just stay inside....

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of you being unlucky with the side effects? like how there is 1% of people who will suffer dread side effects from nearly any drug?

What you describe is like the drug is hardly any better than actually catching malaria?

Still tho, if you get covid and your lungs are about to rotten, taking this drug would be a hell of a lot better than dying drowning in your own fluids?

Thank god this region doesn't have malaria yes I can't remember when last that existed in the Caribbean.

Still tho it is indeed a FDA approved drug that means it has a lot of evidence to back up its effectiveness in Covid. I willing to take this if I get Covid considering I have hypertension which means Covid will kill me. This drug is a blessing and it has the backing of the FDA what more we want besides a vaccine?

Trinidad needs to get this drug ASAP and stock up

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 31st, 2020, 9:49 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 31st, 2020, 9:50 pm

^ You see we need those malaria drugs in Trinidad ASAP, Covid is serious business there is ZERO excuse for the government to not import this drug it is FDA approved they need to get on this ASAP and start prescribing it to patients right now otherwise we will have a lot more deaths.

BTW if I wanted to buy this at the pharmacy could I do so? is it currently available?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”