TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Novel Coronavirus - New name "COVID 19"

Postby 2WNBoost » March 12th, 2020, 8:51 am

MaxPower wrote:Allyuh really feel Trinis “cleaning” and “sanitizing” hospitals and airports etc properly?

Everything is a half way quick ting bam bam wuk done...

Stink

We can’t sit by waiting for the government to do this and for the government to do that.
We all have to take responsibility for our own health and well-being.
It’s impractical to keep public spaces sterile as someone out there is going to touch a railing, a doorknob or a tap and contaminate it.
Everyone needs to heed the advice and be mindful that surfaces may not be clean. This may require a change of habits, eg wash your hands after handling money, sanitize groceries when we take them home, change clothes when returning home from a public place.
We could get through it if we apply ourselves.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Novel Coronavirus - New name "COVID 19"

Postby Dizzy28 » March 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Word going around atm...there is one confirmed case here...sources: several doctors and dentists

Been hearing this rumour since early February and also from doctors but yet nothing.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » March 12th, 2020, 9:30 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Word going around atm...there is one confirmed case here...sources: several doctors and dentists

Been hearing this rumour since early February and also from doctors but yet nothing.

I have family that works in mt hope lab and she says there were 2 positive test results that came in the week after carnival. The govt just covering it up until things get out of hand :roll:

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 12th, 2020, 9:45 am

2WNBoost wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Allyuh really feel Trinis “cleaning” and “sanitizing” hospitals and airports etc properly?

Stink

We can’t sit by waiting for the government to do this and for the government to do that.
It’s impractical to keep public spaces sterile as someone out there is going to touch a railing, a doorknob or a tap and contaminate it.
Everyone needs to heed the advice and be mindful that surfaces may not be clean. This may require a change of habits, eg wash your hands after handling money, sanitize groceries when we take them home, change clothes when returning home from a public place.

Hello 2WNBoost,

You are absolutely correct.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 12th, 2020, 9:55 am

screwbash wrote:
At the Port of Los Angeles, 145 drivers have been laid off and others have been sent home without pay as massive ships from China stopped arriving and work dried up. At travel agencies in Atlanta and Los Angeles, several workers lost their jobs as bookings evaporated. Christie Lites, a stage-lighting company in Orlando, laid off more than 100 of its 500 workers nationwide this past week and likely will lay off 150 more, according to chief executive Huntly Christie. Meanwhile a hotel in Seattle is closing an entire department, a former employee said, and as many as 50 people lost their jobs after the South by Southwest festival in Austin got canceled.

amerika doh stick boy. they aint even give the people a lil 1 month to wait an see what go happen dey just fire all dem jus so. i neva understand y people does rush to leave trinidad and do to that cold country

----
Last edited by redmanjp on March 12th, 2020, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 12th, 2020, 9:57 am

teems1 wrote:Did the Guyanese national travel through Piarco?

Shouldn't the other passengers on the flight be warned so they can self isolate?

The person travelled on a CAL flight.

Newyork - Piarco - Guyana

Ratna Baboolall

Who else did she infect?

death365
Riding on 18's

Re: Novel Coronavirus - New name

Postby death365 » March 12th, 2020, 9:57 am

u meant to say burn all the clothes inc. drawers after going outside and only buy hermetically sealed packages in d grocery. Also walk to and from your house to work if travelling- cause public travel is as bad as being on a plane, air condition just circulates the germs. dont talk to any body in person only whatapp and calls. bathe with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer. no s*x cause it might be spread thru it. No church or temple or mosque. no liming on the avenue. :fadein:

please note that this is all Sarcasm. Just take the same common sense steps that u usually do to avoid the cold.

2WNBoost wrote:

Stink

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 12th, 2020, 10:05 am

Social Distancing
Social distancing is one way to reduce the rate of the spread of the infection throughout the population and therefore reduce new infections but more importantly, to avoid overwhelming the public health system.

Check here
https://cybersafett.com/social-distancing/

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 12th, 2020, 10:27 am

Musical Doc wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

I have family that works in mt hope lab and she says there were 2 positive test results that came in the week after carnival. The govt just covering it up until things get out of hand :roll:

But the CARPHA lab in Federation Park is the only one certified to test for Covid. Mt Hope sent it there?
And Govn't cover up or not medical practitioners for their own personal well being must have instituted some level of response if there really were cases such as PPE etc. But yet Mt Hope looks like business as usual

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 12th, 2020, 10:29 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Social Distancing
Social distancing is one way to reduce the rate of the spread of the infection throughout the population and therefore reduce new infections but more importantly, to avoid overwhelming the public health system.

Check here

yeah. although not possible with public transport, but glad someone finally addressing that. but i wonder if the Health Ministry had an imprompu meeting just yesterday- because i sent a fb message to them about public transport and masks.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/03/12/no-a-c-in-maxi-taxis-if-covid19-hits-tt/?fbclid=IwAR3V6qQNccPqRWJbtI5XMADXpCxSwQV3y-5oWLpnERSCov8NqWoDtSOEObo

No A/C in maxi taxis if covid19 hits TT
MARLENE AUGUSTINE 9 HRS AGO
Linus Phillip -
Linus Phillip -
From the onset of a reported case of the covid19 in this country, passengers will have to travel in maxi taxis without airconditioning.

This is one precaution maxi taxi drivers will be taking, said Linus Phillip, president of the Route Two Maxi Association.

In an interview on Wednesday, Phillip said he consistently communicates with the drivers via a WhatsApp group to share the latest news on the virus.

Phillip said while some drivers are using airconditioning in their maxi taxis, that will be “short-lived” if one case enters the country.

“We are hoping it don’t reach to TT, but we must face reality and it will be the end of A/C in maxi taxi. Commuters will have to travel in the hot maxi.

"Drivers are not panicking, but we are on alert of what is taking place with the virus.

"We cannot let fear stop us from living. At the end of the day we have to provide for our family and we all have to work. The bills still have to be paid. But all we all have to do is take the relevant precautions.”

Phillip said the drivers are always told to wash their hands frequently and not to touch their faces after handling money.

He said they are also encouraged to keep hand sanitisers in their maxi taxis.

“Drivers are also at high risk because they handle money on a daily basis," Phillip said.

"We are still watching to see if there will be any reported case in this country,” he added.

Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) acting general manager Davis Ragoonanan said the PTSC is working with the guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization’s guidelines.

Ragoonanan said the PTSC is also working toward putting a system in place to sanitise its buses regularly and educate staff about the virus.

Asked if drivers will be told to turn off the airconditioning in the buses, Ragoonanan said the idea was discussed and managers will talk further on Thursday to finalise any plans.

“A more detailed release will be put out into the public domain as to the steps PTSC will be taking.

"We are taking this very serious, like everyone else, to ensure that our commuters and staff will have a safe transportation system,” Ragoonanan said.

The first cases of the virus were confirmed in Wuhan,China in December. To date, more than 100 countries have confirmed cases, with over 100,000 worldwide and more than 3,000 deaths.
Last edited by redmanjp on March 12th, 2020, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Novel Coronavirus - New name

Postby 2WNBoost » March 12th, 2020, 10:39 am

At the other end of the spectrum there is this to deal with, our future leaders…

Young people capitalize on cheap coronavirus flights: 'If I die, I die'

If coronavirus gets really dangerous, "I might as well be somewhere having fun," one California college student said.

March 10, 2020, 5:31 PM AST / Updated March 10, 2020, 9:49 PM AST
By Ben Kesslen

As people around the world canceled their trips because of fears of the new coronavirus, Ashley Henkel booked three.
Henkel, 20, is taking advantage of cheap flights to see North America. She lives in California's Central Valley, but this summer she'll be in Vancouver, New York City and Portland, Oregon.

A college student itching to travel, she's one of many people staring the deadly virus in the face and saying, "Whatever."
As flight schedules are scaled down and airline stocks plunge, carriers are offering deals that have put air travel within reach for people who usually can't fly.
It's a high-risk, high-reward trip, people say.
"I feel like if the coronavirus would get even more serious and like wipe out a large amount of people, I might as well be somewhere having fun," Henkel told NBC News in a message.
She had thought about going on trips this summer, but it was too expensive. Now, as people self-quarantine, she'll be taking pictures in Times Square. There is "no fun in staying at home and being all worried," she said.

While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is telling people over 60 or those with chronic illnesses to stay home, young people feel now is their time to fly. Notwithstanding the dangers of spreading the virus to more vulnerable populations, Henkel's trips might be what the airline industry needs as it takes a hard hit from the outbreak.

Multinational corporations like Google and Walmart are restricting "nonessential" travel, people are canceling trips and large conferences are being called off. Global air travel is projected to lose $63 billion to $113 billion because of reduced demand, according to an estimate from the International Air Transport Association, and the coronavirus is on track to slow global travel faster than the SARS and MERS outbreaks did.

United Airlines said it will lose money this quarter, and Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly said the outbreak is a more serious challenge for the industry than the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Cruise lines are feeling the hit, too, reportedly discounting voyages as shares for some major lines have fallen around 50 percent since January.

But on social media, as it often goes, jokes abound about "risking it all" for a dream trip.

On Twitter, Jack Mulligan of Manchester, England, joked that coronavirus wasn't going to stop him from traveling.
Mulligan, 29, says he saved £300 to £400 on his trip in May to the Dominican Republic.
"I think the coronavirus is clearly something people need to be wary of, but I don't plan on putting my life on hold because something is going around," Mulligan said. He had planned to go on vacation anyway, and because cheap flights are now available, he said, booking on Tuesday made sense.

For Capri Nicole, 27, the discount flights offered something more meaningful than a getaway: a chance to see her grandma, who is sick with cancer, next week on her 71st birthday.
Okay I know the world is in a state of panic but flights are cheap AF. I definitely just booked a flight to see my grams for her birthday. :shock:
Next week, Nicole will travel from Atlanta to Connecticut, and she said she saved about $200, which put once unaffordable flights within reach.

"There's sicknesses everywhere," Nicole said. "I could get a disease today unrelated from the virus."
Nicole says she isn't worried about getting sick.

"If I die, I die. I miss my family."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/young-people-capitalize-cheap-coronavirus-flights-if-i-die-i-n1154326

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 12th, 2020, 10:50 am

Millenials showing that Boomers aren't the only Selfish generation

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 12th, 2020, 10:50 am

For Capri Nicole, 27, the discount flights offered something more meaningful than a getaway: a chance to see her grandma, who is sick with cancer, next week on her 71st birthday.

Okay I know the world is in a state of panic but flights are cheap AF. I definitely just booked a flight to see my grams for her birthday.

she wants to kill her grandmother or what? d woman old and have cancer :roll:

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 12th, 2020, 10:53 am

on the flip side

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/people-coronavirus-italy-refuse-self-isolate-face-murder-charges-12385790/

Coronavirus patients who refuse to self-isolate face murder charges in Italy James Hockaday
Thursday 12 Mar 2020 9:16 am
Italian authorities are clamping down on anyone who ignores measures to stop the spread of coronavirus (Picture: Mega/Backgrid) Anyone showing symptoms of coronavirus in Italy who refuses to self-isolate could face 21 years in prison. Authorities warn that those who come down with a cough, fever or other signs of the deadly Sars-like disease who avoid going into quarantine could risk being charged with attempted murder. The country is struggling to contain the spread of the bug and has confirmed more than 12,000 cases and 827 deaths. Italy has been put on a nationwide lockdown with all stores except for pharmacies and food outlets being ordered to close down. Citizens have also been told they are not allowed to travel unless for pressing health or work reasons. Anyone who comes down with a fever, cough, or other symptoms of the new coronavirus strain named Covid-19 who do not put themselves under self-isolation risk being charged with causing injury and be jailed for six months to three years.

If a careless coronavirus sufferer went on to pass the bug to an elderly person or someone made vulnerable by a pre-existing health condition, then they could charged with ‘intentional murder’ and could spend up to 21 years behind bars, reports Il Sole 24 Ore. Those who carry on with their daily business after knowingly making contact with a coronavirus patient could also face the same penalty, as well as those who fail to warn people they may have infected. The legal measures have been compared to punishments for people who willingly pass on HIV to unsuspecting victims. If someone wilfully ignoring authorities makes someone fall ill for 40 days or more, they could face three to seven years in prison. Authorities say anyone who tries to bypass Italian restrictions by lying about urgent reasons they need to move around the country could be charged with false attestation to a public official and could be jailed for one to six years if found guilty. Those who break the rules and move without a good reason face three months in custody or a fine of up to 206 euros (£181). Across the world coronavirus has infected 126,000 people and has killed around 4,600.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/people-c ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » March 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

But the CARPHA lab in Federation Park is the only one certified to test for Covid. Mt Hope sent it there?
And Govn't cover up or not medical practitioners for their own personal well being must have instituted some level of response if there really were cases such as PPE etc. But yet Mt Hope looks like business as usual

Yup, Mt Hope sent it to CARPHA and the results came back positive. The only PPE available in mt hope for staff is gloves. She had to go buy her own masks. Not even health care staff are equipped to deal with this

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » March 12th, 2020, 11:05 am

MoH just issued a press release saying still no cases. I do not believe it.
Musical Doc wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

Yup, Mt Hope sent it to CARPHA and the results came back positive. The only PPE available in mt hope for staff is gloves. She had to go buy her own masks. Not even health care staff are equipped to deal with this

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 12th, 2020, 11:27 am

Anyone stocking up anything?

Lou Screuz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Lou Screuz » March 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

i want to know why people saying to stock up on toilet paper keeping your bamsee crack clean will prevent transmission ?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 12th, 2020, 11:44 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Anyone stocking up anything?

I don't really care to but the wife insisting so now I have to go Pricesmart and Pennywise later
:? :?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

redmanjp wrote:
screwbash wrote:
At the Port of Los Angeles, 145 drivers have been laid off and others have been sent home without pay as massive ships from China stopped arriving and work dried up. At travel agencies in Atlanta and Los Angeles, several workers lost their jobs as bookings evaporated. Christie Lites, a stage-lighting company in Orlando, laid off more than 100 of its 500 workers nationwide this past week and likely will lay off 150 more, according to chief executive Huntly Christie. Meanwhile a hotel in Seattle is closing an entire department, a former employee said, and as many as 50 people lost their jobs after the South by Southwest festival in Austin got canceled.

amerika doh stick boy. they aint even give the people a lil 1 month to wait an see what go happen dey just fire all dem jus so. i neva understand y people does rush to leave trinidad and do to that cold country

----

The employee qualifies for emergency expanded unemployment benefits.

-------------
Reduced Work Hours

If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able and available and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria. Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week.

[URL]https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
[/URL]

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 12th, 2020, 12:13 pm

I am trying to find the emergency numbers that the Ministry of Health has put out. Can anyone send them here ?

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 12th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Deyalsingh assured Government was in control of the situation and had put everything in place “to deal with the inevitable arrival of COVID-19 on our shores”.

Yeah, right...:|

Deyalsingh: Govt buying time with travel ban
Ria Taitt

HEALTH Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said yesterday Government has imposed travel restrictions “to buy a lot of time to allow us to treat with the inevitable arrival of the COVID-19 virus”.

He was responding to a question on whether, in view of the rapid increase in coronavirus cases in the United States, Government would contemplate putting that country on the travel prohibition list.

“We are taking what we call all reasonable measures. We cannot cut off the country entirely from the rest of the world. What we have done with the travel restrictions is to buy a lot of time to allow us to treat with the inevitable arrival of the coronavirus. It is going to come. But we are monitoring every single country, every single territory and as far as humanly possible, within the bounds of being reasonable, we will take action,” he told the Express.

Asked what additional measures Government proposed to institute now that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has confirmed COVID-19 as a pandemic, Deyalsingh said Government did not wait for confirmation of pandemic status to put its house in order.

“Therefore, the confirmation of pandemic status requires no imme­diate adjustment to our plans because we treated this not only as a health threat but as a national security threat as of two weeks ago.

“We will escalate our response as the global and regional situation demands,” he said.

The minister recalled on January 31, he took to the Cabinet a note to impose travel restrictions with respect to people coming from China.

Concerned about illegal entry

He said during that Cabinet meeting, WHO declared COVID-19 a public health emergency of international concern.

“We were ahead of PAHO. We saw the signs and we thought our analysis of what was the global situation then demanded that Trinidad and Tobago, as a small island developing state, protect itself. Since then, we are one of the leading countries in the world to impose travel restrictions.

“We went two weeks ago and added five other countries, and on Wednesday night, on the advice of the Minister of Health and the Minister of National Security, the Prime Minister announced three other countries. Again, we were ahead of WHO,” he said.

Asked whether he was concerned about continued reports of people entering the country illegally, Deyalsingh conceded this was a worrying area of vulnerability since these people are entering the country without being screened.

“I am responsible for port health, which does not man illegal ports of entry, only legal ports. That is a matter for National Security,” he said.

Yesterday, news reports said on Tuesday, police held 37 Venezuelan nationals in Cedros for being in the country illegally.

Deyalsingh assured Government was in control of the situation and had put everything in place “to deal with the inevitable arrival of COVID-19 on our shores”.

“We have activated Caura (hospital) and we are in the process of activating Couva (hospital), so that our public hospital network could go on providing the level of service people are accustomed to.

“What we don’t want is to be treating COVID-­positive patients in the public health system and (other) people are afraid to come. We want to welcome all of our clients by their hundreds of thousands to continue coming to our public health system, knowing that they would not be exposed to any COVID-positive patients who will be isolated and quarantined at either Caura or Couva.”

Deyalsingh said he also wanted to remind the population that only CARPHA was authorised to do testing for COVID-19, and they should totally ignore the commercialisation of testing in private labs which are charging exorbitant sums and which have admitted their results have to be confirmed by CARPHA.

“Do not go to private labs; it is not in your best interest for two reasons—what if you get a false negative case because (the tests) are not certified, it means you could have a person walking around with COVID with a false sense of security and he/she becomes a danger to society.

“Reason number two: under the order signed by her Excellency (Pre­sident Paula-Mae Weekes), COVID is now a reportable infectious disease, so we must have the records since data collection becomes very important in this exercise.

“So the private labs who are only seeking their commercial interests are to be ignored. Save your money and have your sample sent to CARPHA where the test would be done absolutely free of charge,” Deyal­singh said.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/deyalsingh-govt-buying-time-with-travel-ban/article_7758978e-640a-11ea-9c52-a7f8aa707e79.html

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » March 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

db7e65ea-9cb2-46f7-adff-06c4a408acbc.jpg

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » March 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

I don't really care to but the wife insisting so now I have to go Pricesmart and Pennywise later

hearing of mass panic buying start at Psmart already, this afternoon might be too late brudder…. or join the line in the back of the place and wait...…… for whatever yuh might get!

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » March 12th, 2020, 12:25 pm

V2NR 3.0 wrote:I am trying to find the emergency numbers that the Ministry of Health has put out. Can anyone send them here ?

Someone sent this in a wh grp. Cannot confirm but hope its correct.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » March 12th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Pmart
IMG-20200312-WA0005.jpeg

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 12th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I order 50 case of water. Was going psmart today to get some other stuff but seeing madness there

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » March 12th, 2020, 12:36 pm

nemisis wrote:Pmart IMG-20200312-WA0005.jpeg

seriously crix them limiting ... thats reason to revolt dont mess with trinis and they crix

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » March 12th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Social Distancing

Check here

This morning I told a lady i'll wait for the next elevator; she completely understood.
I'm seeing more ppl on the stairs also.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 12th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

hearing of mass panic buying start at Psmart already, this afternoon might be too late brudder…. or join the line in the back of the place and wait...…… for whatever yuh might get!

2257b9f4-3510-4987-8956-f0b8ad7bbcfe.jpg

http://www.looptt.com/content/pricesmar ... ing-ensues

PriceSmart implements COVID-19 plans as panic buying ensues

Amid reports of increased numbers of cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Caribbean, customers have responded by stocking up on items like toilet paper and disinfecting products.

“As of today, we are maintaining good inventory on a majority of our products. We are actively seeking additional inventory you may need on an expedited basis. We are setting reasonable limits on the number of units of certain items that can be purchased, in an effort to serve all of our Members.”

PriceSmart has also implemented additional precautions to lessen the risks associated with COVID-19.

Sanitising wipes have been placed near workstations and hand sanitisers are available throughout the clubs.

The sampling of unsealed food products has been suspended.

At some clubs, PriceSmart is varying or expanding hours of operation to reduce crowds.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”