Forums

Finding Engineering jobs in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Finding Engineering jobs in Trinidad

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » January 20th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I recently complete a Bachelor and Master's in Mechanical Engineering in America. I job searched a while in America, but couldn't find a job and had to return home. I'm starting my Trinidad job search. Are there any good resources such as local engineering job fairs, or local job boards I should know about that will help me in my search? What are the main companies that are looking to hire mechanical Engineers?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Re: Finding Engineering jobs in Trinidad

Postby goalpost » January 20th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Petrotrin have vacancies.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » January 20th, 2020, 3:06 pm

caribbeanjobs

i don't know you situation, but there are good jobs all around the caribbean, not just tt.

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » January 20th, 2020, 4:26 pm

FrankChag wrote:caribbeanjobs

i don't know you situation, but there are good jobs all around the caribbean, not just tt.

Thanks will check out this site

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » January 21st, 2020, 9:08 am

I have found that most jobs are now up the islands in the technical field

There are very little jobs locally while there are some they are very few

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 21st, 2020, 11:59 am

its like the saying goes.... the jobs that we have today- 60% of them wont exist by the time the younger generation is ready for the work force...............

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » January 21st, 2020, 12:51 pm

So firstly, how recent is recent in terms of completing your degrees.

Secondly, I'm assuming the reason you couldn't get a job in america is because you lacked the necessary experience. Having qualifications is only part of the journey. So what type of experience do you have?

So more than likely you would have to start off as a technician, gain essential work experience and then work your way up the ranks within a job stream. You may even have to do some internships.

A good place to start is through the OJT programme. The salary is garbage but its for you to network and gain some minor experience as well. Some places could be Ministry of Works, WASA, TTEC, etc dependant on your engineering field. Then with that experience you can try your hand in private organizations such as COOSALS, Junior Sammy, Qualitech, EIL, etc.

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » January 21st, 2020, 3:00 pm

thelem-again wrote:So firstly, how recent is recent in terms of completing your degrees.

Secondly, I'm assuming the reason you couldn't get a job in america is because you lacked the necessary experience. Having qualifications is only part of the journey. So what type of experience do you have?

So more than likely you would have to start off as a technician, gain essential work experience and then work your way up the ranks within a job stream. You may even have to do some internships.

A good place to start is through the OJT programme. The salary is garbage but its for you to network and gain some minor experience as well. Some places could be Ministry of Works, WASA, TTEC, etc dependant on your engineering field. Then with that experience you can try your hand in private organizations such as COOSALS, Junior Sammy, Qualitech, EIL, etc.

I finished a year ago. I needed sponsorship to work in America and most employers in America told me that they weren't sponsoring anyone for H1B or that they don't sponsor H1B for entry level positions when I applied in America. I don't really have any engineering work experience. I did research projects during school though.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look into the OJT programme.

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » January 24th, 2020, 12:06 pm

goalpost wrote:Petrotrin have vacancies.

Thanks. I looked at the website , but didn't see any engineering vacancies

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 24th, 2020, 10:10 pm

RobertoDiTrinidad2 wrote:
goalpost wrote:Petrotrin have vacancies.

Thanks. I looked at the website , but didn't see any engineering vacancies

Not all engineers started as engineers. Many took positions as mech. techs, gained experience and moved into available engineering positions.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » January 25th, 2020, 6:11 am

In a few months the major energy companies will have their Grad Intern programs.

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » January 29th, 2020, 3:24 pm

triniboi49 wrote:In a few months the major energy companies will have their Grad Intern programs.

Thanks for the information. Do you know which companies usually have grad intern programs so I can check them out?

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » January 29th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Typically they advertise on the newspapers so you could keep up to date with those.

For the most part though you should already be on these company websites, as in registered for their newsletters and career updates, as most today have job search functions, which usually email you recommended jobs based on your input parameters in your account.

You should also be on sites like linkedIn, Caribbean Jobs and JobTT.

Are you on any of these sites?

If not then get on them.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » February 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm

triniboi49 wrote:In a few months the major energy companies will have their Grad Intern programs.

Thanks for the information. Do you know which companies usually have grad intern programs so I can check them out?

Based on what I remember:

Atlantic LNG
BPTT
Shell
NGC (Sometimes)

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » February 1st, 2020, 5:10 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:Typically they advertise on the newspapers so you could keep up to date with those.

For the most part though you should already be on these company websites, as in registered for their newsletters and career updates, as most today have job search functions, which usually email you recommended jobs based on your input parameters in your account.

You should also be on sites like linkedIn, Caribbean Jobs and JobTT.

Are you on any of these sites?

If not then get on them.

I'm on linkedin and caribbean jobs. Thanks for the help

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » February 2nd, 2020, 6:35 pm

RobertoDiTrinidad2 wrote:I recently complete a Bachelor and Master's in Mechanical Engineering in America. I job searched a while in America, but couldn't find a job and had to return home. I'm starting my Trinidad job search. Are there any good resources such as local engineering job fairs, or local job boards I should know about that will help me in my search? What are the main companies that are looking to hire mechanical Engineers?

Some options not discussed/ recommended

1) networking through professional engineering organizations. Join and become active by volunteering. This is a good method to meet professionals who once impressed with your attitude/ knowledge will recommend you to peers when/if the topics comes up in their discussions on hiring an employee. Some organizations you can consider are:

http://www.apett.org/home/
https://www.spe.org/en/section/062
https://thegstt.org
I am sure there are other organizations which other can recommend or which you can find on Facebook or LinkedIn

2) Broaden your horizons by exploring within Caricom where no work permit is required for University Graduates. Check the link below for more details.

https://foreign.gov.tt/services/csme/

3) Broaden your horizons with respect to the field, job title or company . Because you got a mechanical engineering degree it does not mean that you have to get a job titled Mechanical Engineer. There are may other fields that hire Engineer’s (e.g. Corporate banks who invest in large engineering projects hires engineers since they are able to understand the project risk due to their background ). Remember in the work place it is how you applied the knowledge that you learned in school
In addition everyone knows Shell, Atlantic LNG, BHP, Heritage, T&TEC, etc. However there are a lot of smaller companies supporting these companies where you can get some good training and pay. Also by speaking to other ppl in the field they can open your eyes to other companies . As example I never knew about Schlumberger the largest oil service company in the world who use to do global recruitment from Trinidad until I spoke to someone in the petroleum industry

4) mass apply to companies and let them hold your resume on file for a period. This has the lowest probability of success . Based on my experience you will probably get a call back rate of 2% over a 6month period. But in tough times it is better than nothing. I literally went through the yellow pages found companies and sent resumes via mail / email

The above helps you get an interview. Make sure you research and practice for typical interview questions

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » February 4th, 2020, 2:58 pm

francis1979 wrote:
RobertoDiTrinidad2 wrote:I recently complete a Bachelor and Master's in Mechanical Engineering in America. I job searched a while in America, but couldn't find a job and had to return home. I'm starting my Trinidad job search. Are there any good resources such as local engineering job fairs, or local job boards I should know about that will help me in my search? What are the main companies that are looking to hire mechanical Engineers?

Some options not discussed/ recommended

1) networking through professional engineering organizations. Join and become active by volunteering. This is a good method to meet professionals who once impressed with your attitude/ knowledge will recommend you to peers when/if the topics comes up in their discussions on hiring an employee. Some organizations you can consider are:

http://www.apett.org/home/
https://www.spe.org/en/section/062
https://thegstt.org
I am sure there are other organizations which other can recommend or which you can find on Facebook or LinkedIn

2) Broaden your horizons by exploring within Caricom where no work permit is required for University Graduates. Check the link below for more details.

https://foreign.gov.tt/services/csme/

3) Broaden your horizons with respect to the field, job title or company . Because you got a mechanical engineering degree it does not mean that you have to get a job titled Mechanical Engineer. There are may other fields that hire Engineer’s (e.g. Corporate banks who invest in large engineering projects hires engineers since they are able to understand the project risk due to their background ). Remember in the work place it is how you applied the knowledge that you learned in school
In addition everyone knows Shell, Atlantic LNG, BHP, Heritage, T&TEC, etc. However there are a lot of smaller companies supporting these companies where you can get some good training and pay. Also by speaking to other ppl in the field they can open your eyes to other companies . As example I never knew about Schlumberger the largest oil service company in the world who use to do global recruitment from Trinidad until I spoke to someone in the petroleum industry

4) mass apply to companies and let them hold your resume on file for a period. This has the lowest probability of success . Based on my experience you will probably get a call back rate of 2% over a 6month period. But in tough times it is better than nothing. I literally went through the yellow pages found companies and sent resumes via mail / email

The above helps you get an interview. Make sure you research and practice for typical interview questions

Thanks

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » February 4th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Check the newspapers from this past weekend. If I remember correctly, a couple of those energy companies had a graduate training programme coming up and was requesting applications.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » February 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

BP ad out

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » February 17th, 2020, 11:34 am

Curtms wrote:BP ad out

Which newspaper was it? Do you have a pic?

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » February 17th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Feb 14th was supposed to be the last day.

RobertoDiTrinidad2
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoDiTrinidad2 » March 20th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Curtms wrote:Feb 14th was supposed to be the last day.

Ok thanks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”