Forums

Tuners Beware Scamming Is Real Out Here

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Postby R.P.J » February 12th, 2020, 5:54 pm

This Gentleman Here Is Buying Crash Vehicles Fixing It Up And Reselling To The General Public.

Be Guided Accordingly and Do Not Fall Into Those Dishonest Scams.
IMG-20200212-WA0041.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0040.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0039.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0038.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0037.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0036.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0035.jpeg
IMG-20200212-WA0034.jpeg
The attachment IMG-20200212-WA0033.jpeg is no longer available

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Re: Tuners Beware Scamming Is Real Out Here

Postby R.P.J » February 12th, 2020, 5:56 pm

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 12th, 2020, 6:00 pm

How exactly is that a scam???

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 12th, 2020, 6:29 pm

6,000 km and car already write off :drinking:

medalist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby medalist » February 12th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Not the first scam if they say no accidents. I have seen local used only rolling back mileage. Hilux vigo is an example.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 12th, 2020, 6:53 pm

what is the scam though?

A person cannot purchase a damaged vehicle, repair it to manufacturer's specs, ensure that government inspection requirements are met for the vehicle for all external and internal components including an OBD scan, and then resell it as a used vehicle? The local accident history will be in the insurance database too when the new buyer goes to insure the used vehicle. Declaration of an accident by the seller is not in the law in TT, and only in some states in the USA/CAN.

Please explain further OP. You're not being quite clear and kind of attempting to defame a man's name.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 12th, 2020, 6:56 pm

god doh sleep. if is racket to fool a man of he hard earn money god go deal with he or he chirren. live honest with yuh fellow man, do good and reap good.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » February 12th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Impressive work though. Does he straighten and paint?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 12th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Same thing I saying^^...next thing is SPANner garage....lolll

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 12th, 2020, 7:58 pm

maj. tom wrote:what is the scam though?

A person cannot purchase a damaged vehicle, repair it to manufacturer's specs, ensure that government inspection requirements are met for the vehicle for all external and internal components including an OBD scan, and then resell it as a used vehicle? The local accident history will be in the insurance database too when the new buyer goes to insure the used vehicle. Declaration of an accident by the seller is not in the law in TT, and only in some states in the USA/CAN.

Please explain further OP. You're not being quite clear and kind of attempting to defame a man's name.

does this happen BEFORE or AFTER u buy it?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » February 12th, 2020, 8:29 pm

De boss spann? Is that you?

But how is it a scam though? It being touted as 'never been in an accident'?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 12th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Cousin of mine went out to lime with the batch of cops he graduated with, I think their annual celebration. His wagon wrapped around a pole and bent like a "C". He driving that car on the road till this day with no issues. Car looks like it never been in an accident. I ran through it with a fine tooth comb to look for faults before I sent my car to paint at the same place.

I see them men do some work on vehicles already, they good yes.

Not the same person mentioned here but just sayin. It have some men out here that can bring back some vehicles to a certain standard I have no issue with.

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » February 12th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I'd say for every 1 honest seller there are 60 who'll say, "Nope. Never been in an accident".

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 12th, 2020, 9:56 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Same thing I saying^^...next thing is SPANner garage....lolll

Nah, not me. What is the scam? I not following. Assuming the repairs were done properly and the vehicle is back to manufacturers specs . Vehicles are repaired for insurance companies and owners everyday so I don't see anything wrong in the actual repairing. The problem might be not telling someone who is purchasing as they might not want a vehicle that was repaired ,so selling it to them and concealing the fact is wrong.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 12th, 2020, 9:58 pm

viedcht wrote:De boss spann? Is that you?

But how is it a scam though? It being touted as 'never been in an accident'?

If I fix that and tell you it was a write off before , you will say I lie.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 12th, 2020, 10:11 pm

rspann wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Same thing I saying^^...next thing is SPANner garage....lolll

Nah, not me. What is the scam? I not following. Assuming the repairs were done properly and the vehicle is back to manufacturers specs . Vehicles are repaired for insurance companies and owners everyday so I don't see anything wrong in the actual repairing. The problem might be not telling someone who is purchasing as they might not want a vehicle that was repaired ,so selling it to them and concealing the fact is wrong.

This.

I always ask. If the seller tells me NO and I see evidence of a repair - I just say thanks and move on. If they lying about that, them alone know what else - I don't want anything to do with the car

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 12th, 2020, 10:19 pm

While it will be in the insurance company's records , you will not really know which company so it's hard to check. If you have a police friend ,however, they can enter the registration number and the accident history (provided it was a reported accident) would show up.

Repairing to specs is a different story . Not many repairers have the necessary equipment to carry out accurate repairs . The pull a car until the parts fit and say " it line up perfect ". Sometimes the elongate the bolt holes for the parts to fit. Some still use body jacks, which , while pushing one direction , also pushes back with the same reaction , causing further damage. There are places in a car body where you do recommended cuts and joins from the manufacturers there are recommended procedures that must be taken to ensure that in event of another collision ,the structure will act in the prescribed manner to ensure safety of the occupants.

If a vehicle s not repaired to specs, the airbags and restraints will not sense the same forces like an original vehicle and will not deploy accordingly. So while a job may look good on the surface , its the structural integrity that one should be more concerned with.

Insurance companies are getting wise to this and the major ,reputable ones are choosing repairer with the proper tooling and expertise to avoid ending up in future problems. In developed countries there are post repair inspections being done by insurance companies to ensure that the repairs are up to scratch.

A good frame machine can cost upwards of $250g with tools, and a measuring system is over $250 g so you can see why reputable shops charge what they do. Then the owners of damaged vehicles take the insurance money and get it done for the cheapest price and thus risk their lives and their investment.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 12th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Danboidanboidawg , de plastic still on de seats. Brand new.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 12th, 2020, 10:29 pm

rspann wrote:

when ppl want to sell a car 99% of them not gonna say that & if u catch on to something they go yea it get a lil lash dey dise small ting ...

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 12th, 2020, 11:20 pm

^^

Crash and Buy and Resell is BIG business ..

You get catch .. ?

Then you have to HYMC ..

Cause it's always CASH sale ..

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » February 13th, 2020, 12:29 am

Like the pressure get to op, he’s missing now.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 13th, 2020, 4:46 am

ah mean, yuh now get ah PDW and fork it up....yuh real blighted

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 13th, 2020, 7:00 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:How exactly is that a scam???

I have to agree with you both. I ask a seller about the vehicle history and then send the money to get a report.

I don't hear too many complaints about foreign used and I have seen salvaged luxury vehicles in the US repaired and then shipped for sale in Eastern Europe. I have to believe that the same thing could be happening with local RO/RO.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 13th, 2020, 7:53 am

lol roro is the biggest continuous scam

vehicles leaving japan with 300k km on them and being sold and advertised with 25k and 30k here

others leaving japan with 20k km and being sold with 0km and 50km here as brand new......and sold for brand new price

now THAT is racket

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 13th, 2020, 7:55 am

Adnj , your assumption is correct. Many importers get damaged cars cheaper and import them and repair them before selling them as roro..

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 13th, 2020, 8:00 am

As for the euros , many damaged and repaired vehicles are finding their way here, but the most worrisome is the fact that a lot of them are stolen vehicles that are shipped with false documents and registered here only to have the police pull up and take your prized possession a while later. They are also importing them with returning national status , and then your money is up in smoke not long after.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 13th, 2020, 8:21 am

rspann wrote:As for the euros , many damaged and repaired vehicles are finding their way here, but the most worrisome is the fact that a lot of them are stolen vehicles that are shipped with false documents and registered here only to have the police pull up and take your prized possession a while later. They are also importing them with returning national status , and then your money is up in smoke not long after.
The bike market is the same , a lot of bikes are stolen abroad and end up here that sell for less than half the price to a third .Some are brought in as scrap and reassembled with false plates and paper work. Most are death traps when assembled. LO siezes these bikes we they get their hands on it. They trace the bikes back to customs for duties paid on it, if it's not looking right the bike is taken. Even if you buy a new local dealer bike they trace it back to customs and manufacture. I know a few guys that got caught and lost the bikes. One had a tracking device on it which was a £30k ducati. Owner flew in to get his bike back.
Selling a used bike and doing a transfer is risky if stolen cause LO will check every thing. With the new ceritifted copy it makes it very hard to issue.
Never buy a used bike if it was never sold from a local dealer. Customs and LO work together on clamping down. They have all the records on every bike for the last couple of years on file. If your bike is not on the those records then it get taken away from you.

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » February 13th, 2020, 8:27 am

OP....welcome to the real world.

Everything have scam in it, just got to pay attention and try not to get caught up.

New cars, used cars and roro cars all have scam.

Additionally if you buying a car and don`t know anything about cars. Bring a mechanic to check it out.
Flood damage, tampered firewall, repainted parts, misaligned parts easy to spot if you know what you looking for.
Research vehicle if it new, usually we get older new stock so recalls information/defects might already exist.
Spend your money and do a trace. Make sure they have correct paper work in correct owner name. Try not to use cash and do a cheque etc so it have a paper trail.

If you want less headache you can just buy new from a firm or import your own roro (with the correct mileage)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 13th, 2020, 9:12 am

Assuming the wreck and the finished vehicle is the same, which I suspect it is based on what I’m reading in this thread, I see the seller obviously changed out the rims to some 17 inchers that looks like the OEM 19” ones found in the top spec model. Attractive so well done there!

But, these Xtrails from Massy never came with the auto dimming rear view / ECM mirror. Not even the one for $419k and $454k known as the Exclusive model came with the ECM mirror. Based on the pics, this black one appears to be the one for $374k known as the Advance. So did the previous owner install the mirror as an accessory item or was this truly imported by Massy or not?

Questions for rspann:

I don’t want to know your trade secrets and supply chain info etc.. but when it comes to wrecks considered to be a Total Loss (TL) and Constructive Total Loss (CTL) do repairers generally have a preference to bring back to manufacturer’s specifications?

If so, I would assume CTL vehicles would be easier because depending on the parts damaged, it can still be determined as Superficial damage. I am under the impression that seatbelts and airbags as well as the sensors and modules etc are difficult to source. In that regard, with the plethora of deployed airbags and locked seatbelts, what do repairers do to overcome same?

It’s easy to source a dash and a steering wheel and trick the ECU into thinking airbags air functional but are the guts in place to re-deploy the airbags in the event of another collision? The body may be structurally returned to specs but do the airbags and seatbelts function like brand new?

Also, do repairers simply don’t care and grab parts to make a complete whole again using both CTL and TL wrecks? If this is the case then I would be buying all crashed vehicles daily and expensive ones too like Xtrail and Tucson etc.

For those who are alarmed by the allegation brought forward here, you have to be wise in purchasing a locally used vehicle whether it came from the firm or from a grey market roro dealer. Why would someone sell a PDW vehicle which was used for 6,000kms and sell it so quickly? What’s the typical reason? Was it migration, loss of job or a medical emergency? If it’s none of those, is it that the owner is upgrading? If the latter, my gut would say not to buy that story. Hardly likely it’s the case. Let people like spann tell you how OEM factory paint supposed to look like vs paint from a local paint shop (even though I think Spann, Bhola, Ventura, WRegis and ABW etc will watch me and laugh cause I’m sure they will vouch that I won’t be able to tell the difference after they finish a vehicle.

I do a little buying and selling myself and I can tell you, most Trinis are dishonest. Unless you know a police officer, a representative from all insurance companies in T&T that insures motor and people from the claims adjusting companies like Cariclaims etc, one can truly never know if a plate number is associated with a RTA history as we do not have a carfax system in place yet.

On a personal note, I do find that this reversed odometer reading is out of control though. It appears every old used vehicle in T&T always have up to 150,000kms on the clock. If a typical person living San Fernando has to report for work in POS, rest assured that vehicle is doing approx. 100kms per day. If that vehicle was purchased in 2010 bearing a PCP or PCR plate, the current odometer reading, all things being equal ought to read around 288,000kms. So if buying, say, a used Tucson for example where the owner works in POS and lives SF and that vehicle is the daily driven one but the odometer says 98,000kms, then most likely you’re being played. Food for thought and as always, I’m open to corrections.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 13th, 2020, 10:39 am

You are verrry correct. All your points are valid. The first paragraph though is very deep, and I don't know if you said it having a deeper meaning, which is a point I would expand on. Many vehicles are restored using stolen parts which leads to a thriving market. I'm not saying it is so in this case but I'd like to know where they got airbags , rims and body parts for a new model X trail. Also you said, assuming it's the same vehicle.... People cut out and replace vin nos and the latest is rubbing it out and etching back a new no with computerised etching equipment, so you can never tell.

Many unscrupulous insurance companies don't care who they sell to as long as they get top dollar for their salvage. That fuels the stolen car trade and cause buyers to lose their money when they purchase these vehicles and then have them seized. I work for three major companies and store vehicles for them and have the first preference for buying them.

You are spot on about the paint work. Repairers often do paint jobs that can be spotted miles away, because they don't know about factory specs and finishes. I will paint a car with the correct ( orange peel) texture that it came with originally, and someone might say it has orange peel. But that's how a repair is suppose to be done.

I have invested heavily in tooling that are specified by manufacturers so I get the results that make the difference between a proper job and a shitt y one. A vehicle can be aligned to within 1 - 3 mm of the original specs ( which is the manufacturers recommendations) using a computerised measuring system and a frame machine. I've seen repairs that would not even need measuring to know that it was not done properly. One large insurance company has even done a warranty that replaces the factory warranty ( which is voided if a car is damaged and needs certain types of repairs) as long as the job is done by me.

The point about the SRS . You seem to be deeply into cars to even bring up this or know about it. There are repairers and technicians who use resistors of the same value as the resistance of the air bags and seat belts to spoof the SRS ECU into thinking there is a functioning part there. The only way you know is when you get into an accident. Sometimes it might be too late. I've seen repairers hook up the airbag warning light to the oil unit, so it goes off when the car is started. I replace all parts necessary when doing a job where the air bags are deployed, and import parts for all the vehicles because generally the dealers do not stock these parts. If you need it they take three months on average. I've now finished an Ioniq that's doing 5000 kms. and you cannot tell it was a CTL because every thing is as original down to the grainy texture on the paint.

Go on you tube and watch videos on post collision repair inspecton . There are also some on manufacturers repair procedures fom I- Car .All in all , caveat emptor.
Last edited by rspann on February 13th, 2020, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”