How to clean your own house AC units

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

How to clean your own house AC units

Postby FrankChag » February 6th, 2020, 7:34 pm

I have 5, and one of them is a 36000.
Everytime I have to call these ppl to clean them, its like a mortage pmt.

Right now the one in the drawing rm leaking like a pipe burse

Is there someway I can clean these things myself?

killercow
Riding on 17's

Re: How to clean your own house AC units

Postby killercow » February 6th, 2020, 8:03 pm

OP I know the feeling. Actually ever since the beginning of last year I started servicing my own AC units. I just paid very close attention to the guys the last three times they serviced and replicated what they did. The first time I did it on my own, I took much longer than the average time, but I got through and ever since had no issues.
I guess if you do not think you'll remember everything that you observe, maybe video the guys and rewatch video when servicing. Disassembling the units for servicing tends to be the trickiest aspect of it I guess. Nevertheless OP hope you gt

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 6th, 2020, 8:09 pm

so OP if one leaking, and you're not qualified to operate with these dangerous gasses and equipment, you going to handle it yourself?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 6th, 2020, 8:44 pm

FrankChag wrote:I have 5, and one of them is a 36000.
Everytime I have to call these ppl to clean them, its like a mortage pmt.

Right now the one in the drawing rm leaking like a pipe burse

Is there someway I can clean these things myself?

How to clean A/C evaporator coils: the basics

Evaporator coils should be checked and cleaned as needed. If the coils are prone to collecting dirt and debris easily, monthly cleaning may be required. Otherwise, you may need to clean them every three months during cooling season or annually during regularly scheduled preventive maintenance.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils: getting access

Your indoor air handling unit should have an access panel that can be removed to expose the evaporator coil. If necessary, check your A/C owner’s manual to locate the access panel and evaporator coil.

Turn the air conditioner off at the thermostat.

Remove the screws or other fasteners to loosen the access panel.

Place the panel and screws aside where they won’t get lost or separated.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils using compressed air

Light accumulations of dirt and other material can often be removed using compressed air to blow them loose from the evaporator coil.

Direct compressed air across the coil in the opposite direction of normal airflow, from the cleaner to the dirtier side.

For more stubborn pieces, place the air nozzle close to the bottom side of the debris.

If using high pressure air, direct it either at a 90-degree angle or directly through the fins. This will prevent damage to the fins.

Maintain consistent airflow across the coil. This will dislodge buildup without forcing it further into the fins and making it more difficult to remove.

Avoid blowing dust, dirt and debris into the ductwork system or into your home’s living spaces. Wear eye protection to keep the material out of your eyes. If necessary, use a shop vacuum cleaner to collect material as it is dislodged.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils using a brush
Brush cleaning can be a very effective technique for removing minor accumulations of dirt from evaporator coils. Brush cleaning allows you to avoid the use of liquids or chemicals and gives you greater control on the pressure applied to the coils and fins.

Apply the brush to the coils and sweep dirt accumulations away.

Scrub with the brush to break loose harder-to-remove material.

Avoid using wire brushes or hard-bristle brushes since they may damage the fins.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils using commercial cleaners

Several brands of commercial cleaners are available for cleaning evaporator coils. Most are a foaming type that breaks down and drains away into the unit’s drainage system. Consult with your trusted local HVAC contractor for suggestions on which cleaner would work best for your situation.

Follow instructions and precautions that accompany the product.

Spray the cleaner on the coils as directed.

Allow the foaming action to occur and wait until the foam and debris drain away.

Reapply the cleaner until the coils are clean and free of buildup.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils using mild detergents and water

In place of a commercial cleaner, you can use a mild detergent and warm water to clean the coils.

Mix warm water and a simple detergent in a spray bottle, hand sprayer or garden sprayer.

Apply the water and detergent solution to the evaporator coils.

Give the solution a few seconds to a few minutes to soak in and loosen debris. Reapply as needed.

Wipe away the loose material with a soft cloth or brush.

How to clean A/C evaporator coils: heavy-duty cleaning

Heavily soiled evaporator coils may require strong chemicals or heavy-duty cleaning techniques and equipment such as a pressure washer or steam cleaner. The process could also require revisions to your A/C system, such as removal of the coil, cutting and reattachment of refrigerant lines, restoring the vacuum in the refrigerant lines and recharging/refilling the system with refrigerant.

If your A/C evaporator coils are heavily soiled or are dirty enough to seriously affect air conditioner function, you should schedule a professional cleaning and maintenance appointment with your local HVAC contractor. Your HVAC technician can properly assess the job and will have the correct equipment, training and material to clean your evaporator coil and restore cooling system function without causing damage to the coils, fins or other components

[URL]https://blackdiamondtoday.com/blog/clean-ac-evaporator-coils
[/URL]

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » February 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm

OP, the leak is caused by clogged drain piping

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 6th, 2020, 11:03 pm

killercow wrote:OP I know the feeling. Actually ever since the beginning of last year I started servicing my own AC units. I just paid very close attention to the guys the last three times they serviced and replicated what they did. The first time I did it on my own, I took much longer than the average time, but I got through and ever since had no issues.
I guess if you do not think you'll remember everything that you observe, maybe video the guys and rewatch video when servicing. Disassembling the units for servicing tends to be the trickiest aspect of it I guess. Nevertheless OP hope you gt

You are right, Its not that hard. But there are tid bits you may need a qualified person to handle. Provided its something you do regularly, you may not need to call anyone.

Op will be calling me soon though.

https://www.facebook.com/ParsotanAC/

I dont mind offering some advice if he willing to make the call. Some of it is DIY and I encourage people to DIY, less damn work for me. :lol: :lol:

A classic example is San Fernando city police. The office was not cool and the units are stink. Paperwork has to go through for me to do the job. Meanwhile an officer chat a bit with me and there was an improvement as he did some of the minor stuff.

I'd strongly advise against using coil cleaner though. I have my own concoction that I use and I wash my hands with it. Most cleaners are very alkaline, if you throw it on your hands it will eat away the skin. I have seen the stuff being used and everything in the drain died after. Frog, fish, snail etc.

There have been systems I have come across that were so badly off I had to pump down and take home to scrap and clean. They were returned, reinstalled, vaccumed and valves opened back. Jobs like that start at $600.00 and the system comes back as new. Not a spot is missed. There are pictures of jobs like that I did for people on my page.

5 tonne units usually carry a high price if it was poorly maintained. Its a 3 man job some times but regular maintenance and proper maintenance can keep the cost down. You have to drop blower and drop coil to get behind it so its a bit tough. Most just wash the front coil and call it a day.

I had to do a pair for a company last year. Price as 3 times what they normally pay. Of course you know people find that cost ridicilious but I did get the job. Now they have to use one unit because its too cold. One was so badly off the coils were conmpletely clogged.
Told another place $1200.oo to do one and they said hell no, they pay $400.00 to get the "same job" done. Of course you know the person that told them to call me was not pleased because he sweating when he go to eat at the establishment.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » February 7th, 2020, 1:23 am

Awesome sauce. Will be attempting some of these ^^^^ on the smaller (cheaper/replaceable) units first.
Maj tom making think that maybe i should go on a course or something.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 7th, 2020, 2:54 am

i just eh want you to get shock or asphyxiating yourself with R-134a or burn down your house doing something that you never paid attention to before.

You wouldn't change the oil in your car without first either getting some training, or watching closely to see what the mechanic doing exactly.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 7th, 2020, 4:29 am

FrankChag wrote:Awesome sauce. Will be attempting some of these ^^^^ on the smaller (cheaper/replaceable) units first.

I also teach it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still contemplating the offer from ATC as well. So I may teach it there also.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 7th, 2020, 7:56 am

leaking ac unit is mostly due to a clogged drip tray or clogged water line that goes outside,,, or if youre unit is low on gas and your coils constantly freeze over and get iced up. Cleaning a drip tray and clearing the line is easy for a DIY, but gassing your unit will require a service from your ac people.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 7th, 2020, 11:00 am

FrankChag wrote:Awesome sauce. Will be attempting some of these ^^^^ on the smaller (cheaper/replaceable) units first.

better u do that at least a entry level course b4 candle cost more than funeral

everything does look easy when u watching somebody do something on youtube or even real life but is when u get into it & find ur self on sh1t street ....

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 7th, 2020, 11:02 am

I hear once yuh call nerve and tell him yuh tuner name....automatic discount

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 7th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:leaking ac unit is mostly due to a clogged drip tray or clogged water line that goes outside,,, or if youre unit is low on gas and your coils constantly freeze over and get iced up. Cleaning a drip tray and clearing the line is easy for a DIY, but gassing your unit will require a service from your ac people.

The drain pan you mean.
They have 3.
A front, top and back. The rear is behind the unit against the wall. People who don't like to service on time usually suffer from that clogging and water running down the wall. I let them know one time, I can lift it off the wall and attempt to clean it but when men burst wall and plaster it back you don't have much flex on the copper and it may damage. Customer standing that cost to repair, not us. We can pump it down and scrap the whole thing bringing it back to new. Cost starts at $600.00.
Also, coils can get clogged from 6 for a 9 service. Some have more than one layer and it's hard to get a high pressure stream through it. You have to wash front and back so it has to come out completely.
If it's "low on refrigerant" it has a leak. Refrigerant is not lost unless that's the case. There can be instances where the system runs so long and the refrigerant contracts so much that it will read low. I met an r22 system reading 25 psi vs 68 where it should be. Looked for a leak only to realise evaporator is a block of ice. Well management has the remote now because I responded to 3 calls where "ac not working" only to meet it full of ice. The last instance I left them without cold breeze for the day.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 7th, 2020, 5:59 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I hear once yuh call nerve and tell him yuh tuner name....automatic discount
Call uwi and call meh name.
Well, uwi open campus to be precise.
See what discount you get when you call my name.
Also, more people doing the level 2 you all can get it at multiple campuses.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 8th, 2020, 2:09 am

^^

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

Cleaning AC is a scam .. @ $600

Take a one day course with Peakes :wink: :wink:

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 8th, 2020, 4:17 am

boi i does jus take out the front, take out the drip tray , take out the long blower wheel , spray the coil with a cleaner i buy from a place in el socorro , it does foam up take the hose wash it out and wash out the drain line mount it back up, take the pressha washer and presha wash the part outside and i done. take about 20-30 min per unit.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 8th, 2020, 7:48 am

RedVEVO wrote:^^

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

lol @ scam, back of the coils in a 5 tonne. Blower motor have to drop, that alone is a 2 man job. And by 5 tonne I mean 5 tonne, not them micky mouse thing alyuh accusomed to.

3 layers thick, spray alyuh lil spray in the front and save $$$, it will cost more in the long run. :fadein:
Attachments
71170083_759865961099775_8292250086591692800_n.jpg
71495897_759865931099778_4807024433879318528_n.jpg
71731738_759865924433112_6888572439735828480_n.jpg

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 8th, 2020, 8:02 am

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ParsotanAC/ ... 2410583467

newer units, the front drain pan cant be removed.

The back and rear drain pan shown here.

Routine servicing as done by I dont know who. The top of the coil actually sits in the back drain pan so unless you know what you doing, you gunna pay more in the long run.
Attachments
71501454_762161347536903_1881271799648354304_n.jpg
26168991_398362827250092_9094023798961953280_n.jpg
26167476_398362957250079_1327497863888481658_n.jpg
26168417_398362730583435_5218659464789061635_n.jpg
26195699_398362753916766_3879348139235818436_n.jpg

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » February 8th, 2020, 8:04 am

nervewrecker wrote:

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

lol @ scam, back of the coils in a 5 tonne. Blower motor have to drop, that alone is a 2 man job. And by 5 tonne I mean 5 tonne, not them micky mouse thing alyuh accusomed to.

3 layers thick, spray alyuh lil spray in the front and save $$$, it will cost more in the long run. :fadein:

Nerve doh waste time on RedVEVO, that is how he cleans the lasko fan.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 8th, 2020, 10:25 am

The first step to cleaning your own AC is not being poohar.

If you poohar, call nervewrecker.
I call nervewrecker because I have neither the time, nor the equipment to properly service my own AC without some expensive consequences.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 8th, 2020, 11:06 am

Well said Vexx. An AC unit can last very long once taken care of on a periodic basis. Nerve is a man don't even stop to think as for him it is second nature.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 8th, 2020, 4:23 pm

nervewrecker wrote:

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

man does have 5 tonne AC units in they house ? OP said house unit. is the 5 tonne a multi split ?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 8th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Normel.
4 more on the next sideImage

Rage Warrior
Street 2NR

Postby Rage Warrior » February 9th, 2020, 12:31 am

Bro find a video on YouTube and learn to service it yourself. Buy the necessary equipment and familiarize yourself with the brand you have. If you had 1 or 2 then I understand paying someone like me even though I could do it myself, but 5 , better you learn how, it's easy though once you familiarize your sell with the unit. The money you saving when one stops working that's your money to buy one.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 9th, 2020, 5:52 pm

matix wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

No No No .. You are incorrect :wink:

The fan is difficult . That is a different job.

We hire a company to take down the extractor fan and that has lots soot, cobweb and sometimes a dead rat or pigeon etc.

They charge about $300 - $700 depending on the size and weight of the rat or pigeon .

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 9th, 2020, 6:02 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
matix wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Just clean the vents
And clogged tubes
And you good ..

No No No .. You are incorrect :wink:

The fan is difficult . That is a different job.

We hire a company to take down the extractor fan and that has lots soot, cobweb and sometimes a dead rat or pigeon etc.

They charge about $300 - $700 depending on the size and weight of the rat or pigeon .
You are talking about a ducted system. That's another type.
We are talking mini split.
I take it you never heff the blower assembly on an old Peake 5 tonne yet. You maybe accustomed to them baby 5 tonnes they have selling.
It's a 3 man job, two to hold it up and one to loosen the screws. Lol @ $300.00 to do that job. You looking to cross $1k because 2 additional men need to be paid. Then don't get me started on the coils that are 3 and 4 layers thick. You hit that with pressure washer from the front you just clogging it up. So good luck with it.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 9th, 2020, 6:06 pm

^^

The home units 12 - 18,000 are very easy to clean .

The company charges $300 but we usually have a Vene doing that job for about $50.

Times are a changing .

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm

The company charges $300 but we usually have a Vene doing that job for about $50.

Times are a changing .

If you know your way around ti and its regularly maintained, it is.

Have a contact # for the vene?

I remember giving some guys a quote and they told me I wicked, and my price too high. Have another person in the business that does thier own at a lower price. One was a coworker and we came in to servce the ac at his work place. He asked what the f**k we doing? Well you know I handle their ac units at home now.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm

nervewrecker wrote:

Times are a changing .

I remember giving some guys a quote and they told me I wicked, and my price too high. Have another person in the business that does thier own at a lower price. One was a coworker and we came in to servce the ac at his work place. He asked what the f**k we doing? Well you know I handle their ac units at home now.

Bene the Vene working for themselves ..

The days of the $600 A/C wash for home unit done ..

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 12th, 2020, 8:31 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Times are a changing .

Bene the Vene working for themselves ..

The days of the $600 A/C wash for home unit done ..

It ever had them days? :lol:

Not doubting it have a few vene's that know thier stuff but it have a few out here trying a thing. Some had managed to get thier hands on some equipment belonging to a friend of mine. Over $10k in tools and equip went missing.
I cleaned up mess made by many already.
I have seen vene workmanship first hand already and they take pride in their work. I know one living here with more experience than me and qualified in instrumentation and PLC. Cool soldier but he lives too far. And mankind speaks english fluent, he been here some years now.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”