CHANGING OWNERSHIP OF A MOTOR VEHICLE IN TRINIDAD & TOBAGOHow to transfer your car in T&T
You must register with the Trinidad & Tobago Transport Division any time you wish to buy, sell or change ownership of a motor vehicle. The registered owner and the new owner together must apply for a change of ownership within seven days of the sale or transfer. You must be at least 17 years old to change ownership of a vehicle.
Changing ownership of a motor vehicle and vehicle safety inspection can only be done at the Port of Spain, San Fernando and Tobago offices. How do I change ownership?
The registered owner and the new owner must complete the transfer together and submit the following documents to the Transport Division office.
• Complete Change of Ownership Form No. 11
• Vehicle registration certificate and valid insurance certificate.
• Valid national ID card or passport for both the registered and new owner.
• Receipt of sale (where applicable).
• Prescribed transfer tax and fee.
The application is processed on the same day. How much does it cost?
The transfer fee is TT$10.00. The transfer taxes vary according to the (license) age of the vehicle:New Transfer Taxes (as of October 1 2009)
$6000.00 - Under 2 years
$4500.00 - Over 2 years but not over 5 years
$3000.00 - Over 5 years but not over 7 years
$1350.00 - Over 7 years but not over 10 years
$0150.00 - Over 10 yearsProcedure
• Complete the Transfer Form which is obtained at the information counterNote
• Take the vehicle to the Inspection Shed
• Return to the main office until called to the transfer counter
• Pay at cashier (usually closes at 3:00 pm)
• Both parties must be present at the counterLicensing Offices in T&T where transfers can be done
• Both parties must each have two (2) forms of identification
• A Receipt with the new owner's name must be presented
• Insurance in the name of the buyer must be presented (cover note will suffice)
• Transfer must be effected within seven days of Sales Receipt
Wrightson Road, Port of SpainTaxes are applied to date of 1st registration in Trinidad & Tobago (license plate series), NOT year of manufacture.P_ series
By-Pass, San Fernando
Milford Road, Tobago
(Nov 1978-Jun 1995)PB_ series
(Jun 1995-Jun 2006)PC_ series
(Jul 2006-Sep 2013)PD_ series
(Sep 2013- Nov 2020)PE_ series
(Nov 2020-Present)thanks to the TriniTuner members SRASC, stikid09, uttamj, sweeks and MrSammy for gathering and updating this info