TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Hard Start on a Frontier

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Hard Start on a Frontier

Postby Esharcangel » November 14th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Hey Turners,

I'm having a problem with my YD25 Turbo 4x2 Frontier.
I recently was getting a hard start, and was advise to change the glow plugs in the engine.

Over the weekend i did a full service on the vehilce, Oil, Filters(Air,Diesel,Oil), Amsoil diesel concentrate & cetane boost in the tank and changed all four (4) glow plugs.

The glow plugs were indeed burnt out.

I however am still getting a hard start, and not just on mornings, whenever i need to start the vehicle, whether the vehicle is hot or cold. And there is a big puff of diesel smoke when the engine does turn over.

What can this problem be, Diesel Pump? Compression?

Need some help
Thanks.

mpower
Trinituner Peong

Re: Hard Start on a Frontier

Postby mpower » November 14th, 2012, 4:44 pm

i had the same problem, 1 week befor my con rod broke, just take off the intercooler piping to the manifold and tell me what you see.My van was 6yrs old, changed oil every 5000 km, all filters , everything, and my conrod broke, My intake was so filled with gum, the passage was about half inch blocked all way round.I dont know if this oil build up would run into the intake and settle on which ever piston had the intake valves open. and cause the compression to increase, putting a strain on that cylinder, i really dont know, but i cant think of any other reason why my rod broke.

Just take off the intake line and check it out.

godforbid
Ricer

Postby godforbid » November 20th, 2012, 6:49 am

I was getting the same problem, the engine was losing compression, oil was getting onto the glow plugs, so I had to do a full engine rebuild (seals and rings and so forth) the van still in the garage. but in the mean time i ran ah external switch to the plugs so before i start I would hold down the switch for about 20 seconds an then start but this is very short fix. You need to check and see is the rings leaking or the valve seals bad an so on (due to the age of the vehicle).

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » November 20th, 2012, 8:49 am

@mpower: I took of the entire Intercooler this weeked, thier was indeed some gunk build up, but nothing much to talk about, i cleaned it throughly. Still getting the same problem though. I also took off the glow plugs again, and placed them back to ensure they were placed correctly. Same problem.

@godforbid: No Oil in glow plugs, however i did see an oil leak at the intake in the intercooler, but since i cleaned it nothing showed up yet. however thought there is a unit just lower to the intake, i believe it is the turbo charger (not sure) i am seeing an oil leak on that unit, i dont know if this could also be a problem.

However guys, after replace the glow plugs and cleaning the Intercooler, i still got the hard start, I then reved the engine for about 30-45 sec, all i could see & smell was diesel smoke, after that time the smoke eased, and i switched off, and the engine turn over like brand new....no tumble just start.

So i am begining to wonder if the pump and injectoer wants servicing.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » November 21st, 2012, 2:23 pm

before jumping into pump and injectors, check the primer pump, filter and water trap first, also see if the line has developed a leak or link anywhere...

where are u from???

i would recommend Jerry in chase village, he is good with frontiers and other CR diesel engines,

plz stay away from sookhais, a buddy recently got some lix by them with some injectors......

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » November 21st, 2012, 3:04 pm

@droppa, I checked the filter, primer & water trap 1st before i did anything else, plus i only changed the fuel filter 2 weeks ago, so everything there is in perfect working condition.
I really didn't want to go by Sookhai's firstly because of the price, they told me $8k to service the pump alone.
I'm from Biche, but i know where Jerry's is though, and u are the 2nd person to recommend him. So I may indeed go there.

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » November 23rd, 2012, 2:24 pm

I saw this unit leaking oil. Which is it? Can it be part of the problem, if not the entire problem? Can it be repaired, or do i have to replace? And what other problem will it cause?
Attachments
09_2322[2].jpg
Red Arrow Pointing Unit

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby bigchief3679 » November 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

That's the stepper motor for the EGR, in some cases its beneficial to blank off the EGR to avoid gunking of the intake manifold.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 25th, 2012, 2:09 pm

bigchief3679 wrote:That's the stepper motor for the EGR, in some cases its beneficial to blank off the EGR to avoid gunking of the intake manifold.

[kublalsingh]and what of nitrogen oxides emissions?[/kublalsingh]

If you find gunk in your intake, just remove it(the intake) and clean it.

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby bigchief3679 » November 25th, 2012, 7:13 pm

^^^ lolol.....
There are times when cleaning just doesn't solve your problems like intermittent/weird smoke or EGR boost leak.
I've blanked mine over a year now and have only seen improvements, but don't take my word for it, it's been widely discussed on different forums.

Black Scorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Black Scorpion » November 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Service your starter as well

sham1984
Street 2NR

Postby sham1984 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

IT would seem that many people have oil going into the intake from the egr valve. I recently discovered the same problem on my qd32. The Neal&Massy tech says there's nothing much that can be done about it.(not that we trust their diagnostics all the time)
The EGR though routes noxious oil fumes into the intake to burn them off rather than vent it into the air and you get planass when you go by the doubles man.
Clean your intake, put some consecutive treatment/cleaner additive and run it hard a few days to blow out the cylinders... or break it. Whichever comes first

Fazeer
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Fazeer » January 4th, 2013, 4:26 pm

bro..get a diagnostic done, it may be your crankshaft sensor is the problem. my cousin had this same issue with the same engine and model of van and spent a hell ovah lot of money trying to figure it out and it ended up being that stupid crankshaft sensor which was $400..thanks to my mechanic problem was solved. I would also advise you to remove you catalic converter that restricts your engine as well and helps with the smoking from these engines.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » January 5th, 2013, 12:13 am

Fazeer wrote: I would also advise you to remove you catalic converter that restricts your engine as well and helps with the smoking from these engines.

sigh

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » July 26th, 2013, 10:26 am

You ever got the problem solved ? I'm having similar issues with my vehicle..

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » July 30th, 2013, 8:38 am

Hey bro, i was having compression problems. My engine was back pressuring. You can checked your engine for back pressure, just open your oil cover while the engine is idling and if there is white smoke spittign out, your're back pressuring for sure. I'm carrying mines in on Monday to do a rebuild (a conversion is really expensive bro, I cant afford that right now). Costing anywhere between $8000-$10000. Hoping my problem is over after the rebuild.

termite
Ricer

Postby termite » December 6th, 2016, 9:19 pm

With respect to blanking the egr. Could someone tell me where exactly to blank it off. you can use the pic in the post. thaks

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”