TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
linker
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 137
Joined: August 15th, 2006, 7:04 pm
Location: Arima

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby linker » April 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Went to Massey and asked for gear oil for my rear diff. Gave them my vehicle number, they pulled it up on their computer. I asked does it have LSD? They said "no, standard". I was advised to use 80W-90 for the rear diff as that is what they use.

Bought 3 quarts of Genuine Nissan 80W90, went below to change the rear diff oil and on the back of the diff i see the following: "75W-140 Synthetic Oil Only" right above the filler plug.

Checked a few forums online and learned that there are two diffs on the D40 Navara, a C200 that requires 80W-90 oil and a M226 that requires 75W-140. Also read that the C200 is usually found on the 4x2 Navaras and have 8 bolts holding the cover whereas the M226 is found on the 4x4 versions with 12 bolts holding the cover. The M226 is also a Dana 44 variant (as ligthhammer has posted), same as used on the Titan and Xterra. Problems with the M226 were pre 2007.

So based on this information I can conclude that on my 4x4 D40 I've got a M226 rear differential(12 bolt pattern as well as 75W-140 being written on the diff above the filler hole).

What are the issues with using 80W-90 oil instead of the 75W-140 on the M226?
Do the identification via bolt pattern apply to our Thai models?

I will be returning the 80W-90 for 75W-140 full synthetic as it is what is stamped on the diff.

Any input from the more experienced tuners is welcome.

Advertisement
User avatar
ADONI
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2398
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:55 pm
Location: Next Door
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby ADONI » April 16th, 2018, 9:11 am

The manual didn't specify the diff oil? I rather read the manual, than take a word from Massy or any dealership...

User avatar
firehead..
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 206
Joined: September 25th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby firehead.. » April 17th, 2018, 12:53 am

linker wrote:Went to Massey and asked for gear oil for my rear diff. Gave them my vehicle number, they pulled it up on their computer. I asked does it have LSD? They said "no, standard". I was advised to use 80W-90 for the rear diff as that is what they use.

Bought 3 quarts of Genuine Nissan 80W90, went below to change the rear diff oil and on the back of the diff i see the following: "75W-140 Synthetic Oil Only" right above the filler plug.

Checked a few forums online and learned that there are two diffs on the D40 Navara, a C200 that requires 80W-90 oil and a M226 that requires 75W-140. Also read that the C200 is usually found on the 4x2 Navaras and have 8 bolts holding the cover whereas the M226 is found on the 4x4 versions with 12 bolts holding the cover. The M226 is also a Dana 44 variant (as ligthhammer has posted), same as used on the Titan and Xterra. Problems with the M226 were pre 2007.

So based on this information I can conclude that on my 4x4 D40 I've got a M226 rear differential(12 bolt pattern as well as 75W-140 being written on the diff above the filler hole).

What are the issues with using 80W-90 oil instead of the 75W-140 on the M226?
Do the identification via bolt pattern apply to our Thai models?

I will be returning the 80W-90 for 75W-140 full synthetic as it is what is stamped on the diff.

Any input from the more experienced tuners is welcome.



Recenty replaced my diff oil two weeks ago with the castrol syntrax 75w-140 as per my manual. Same was also stamped on the diff cover. No issues smooth as ever. Change what u bougt for the 75w-140 as per the stamp on the diff. I would suggest.

4x2 nav. Bought from massy as well. The 80w-90 maybbe to thin for that diff.

On amother note: The gearbox specifies gl4. I hv used valvloline fully synthetic gl4/gl5 a combo oil. Bottle said it covered both??...anyone ever used this??...valvoline synpower 75w-90..

User avatar
firehead..
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 206
Joined: September 25th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby firehead.. » April 17th, 2018, 1:22 am

Alo guys..what is with the whirring whine from the manual models....its not over high pitched but goes in tune with the revs. Anyone ever figured what it was???....read somewhere its the timing chain???.....van is very quiet at low revs but once cross 2000rpm so u can hear it.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » April 21st, 2018, 7:35 am

The navara pulley usually goes at 100k, slight squealing on and off and they snap off.
had a van that did it, customer complaint. couldnt find the problem Never showed back up, pulley snap off clean the next day. Just over 1k to replace the pulley tho. Replacement parts. 1600$ for a full alternator rebuild and service.

at 100k i do.
thermostat
coolant
2 drive belts
tranmission oil drain and fill (usually at 80k)
front, rear and transfer case (usually at 80k)
i spin the pulleys pumps and idlers at this point, Never had any go bad yet. saw vehicles at 200k without having any changed except the alternator.


every 10k
diesel filter 2
air filter
oil and filter
brakes check service and adjustment
driveshaft cross
diff tc fluid check if suspect.
wiperblades 16/22


the diff oil is a suspect thing, the manual uses a diff oil from the automatic, they stamp on the rear cover so no beatup.

i work on these everyday, navaras are excellent vehicles when well maintained

User avatar
nick639v2
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1820
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby nick639v2 » April 21st, 2018, 8:32 am

Ted_v2 wrote:The navara pulley usually goes at 100k, slight squealing on and off and they snap off.
had a van that did it, customer complaint. couldnt find the problem Never showed back up, pulley snap off clean the next day. Just over 1k to replace the pulley tho. Replacement parts. 1600$ for a full alternator rebuild and service.

at 100k i do.
thermostat
coolant
2 drive belts
tranmission oil drain and fill (usually at 80k)
front, rear and transfer case (usually at 80k)
i spin the pulleys pumps and idlers at this point, Never had any go bad yet. saw vehicles at 200k without having any changed except the alternator.


every 10k
diesel filter 2
air filter
oil and filter
brakes check service and adjustment
driveshaft cross
diff tc fluid check if suspect.
wiperblades 16/22


the diff oil is a suspect thing, the manual uses a diff oil from the automatic, they stamp on the rear cover so no beatup.

i work on these everyday, navaras are excellent vehicles when well maintained



Where you located ted? Pm me some info.

User avatar
firehead..
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 206
Joined: September 25th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby firehead.. » April 21st, 2018, 7:29 pm

Pm me also......recently replaced filters and now its down on power, realized the primer pump wouldnt remain hard when pumped and left to sit for a while....would have to re-pump it at lrast 10-15times.removed filter n realized its only remaining half filled.....even tho i filled it to the top when i replaced them......van was pullin good before the filter change...alrwady teplaced the filter at the primer pump incase the fikter seal was not good.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » April 21st, 2018, 11:32 pm

noticed that same thing with the primer filter being half filled on removal. I dont think thats something to worry about. as i never saw one full on removal.

what you could do however is the filter on the passenger side that you dont mix up those lines, Primer pumps dont always remain hard when a vehicle is idling. Usually they get soft

User avatar
firehead..
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 206
Joined: September 25th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby firehead.. » April 22nd, 2018, 3:52 pm

Noted. Thanks for the input. Dont forget to pm me yur business contact. Have a few other stuff need checked and adjusted.

User avatar
nick639v2
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1820
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby nick639v2 » April 22nd, 2018, 7:47 pm

^^ x2

*RUMsingh*
Riding on 13's
Posts: 7
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 8:38 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby *RUMsingh* » April 23rd, 2018, 10:30 am

Good day guys,
I'm looking for a right side rear fender flare for the D22 frontier 4x4, anyone know where I can get this new or used in good condition?
any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Contact me at 376-1992

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » April 23rd, 2018, 3:11 pm

337-5690. WhatsApp or pm for any information. Always willing to assist

*RUMsingh*
Riding on 13's
Posts: 7
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 8:38 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby *RUMsingh* » April 28th, 2018, 11:31 am

Anyone out there has a right rear mud guard for the d22 frontier 4x4?

mark27
Street 2NR
Posts: 35
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby mark27 » April 28th, 2018, 5:11 pm

The yd25 in my d22 is backpressuring and at the moment burns little oil. Van still drives daily though. Planning to put a zd30t and transmission soon so others at home can drive it. You guys think yd25 engine parts and the gearbox will sell?

mark27
Street 2NR
Posts: 35
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby mark27 » May 4th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Anybody have any knowledge of the qd32eti?

User avatar
powered by ?
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 155
Joined: January 9th, 2005, 11:17 am
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby powered by ? » May 4th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Good day, We have a Nissan Np300 2015 model and took it to an alignment shop and was told that the steering rack clamp rubber and bushings needs to be replaced, called Massy and Motorist and was told that we need to replace the whole steering rack and cost was around 8k. I find it very difficult to believe that I cannot get the clamp rubbers and bushings separately. By chance anyone experience this issue?

User avatar
nick639v2
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1820
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby nick639v2 » May 5th, 2018, 11:11 am

powered by ? wrote:Good day, We have a Nissan Np300 2015 model and took it to an alignment shop and was told that the steering rack clamp rubber and bushings needs to be replaced, called Massy and Motorist and was told that we need to replace the whole steering rack and cost was around 8k. I find it very difficult to believe that I cannot get the clamp rubbers and bushings separately. By chance anyone experience this issue?


You can try double R auto Balmain/San Fernando.

User avatar
Licensed to Walk!
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 102
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 1:30 am
Location: Refusing to beg ppl to do the job they're being paid for!

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Licensed to Walk! » May 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm

powered by ? wrote:Good day, We have a Nissan Np300 2015 model and took it to an alignment shop and was told that the steering rack clamp rubber and bushings needs to be replaced, called Massy and Motorist and was told that we need to replace the whole steering rack and cost was around 8k. I find it very difficult to believe that I cannot get the clamp rubbers and bushings separately. By chance anyone experience this issue?


Try motorist Marabella.

BUSHMASTER
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 194
Joined: January 1st, 2016, 8:16 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby BUSHMASTER » May 6th, 2018, 10:15 am

mark27 wrote:Anybody have any knowledge of the qd32eti?

Yea dey call it iron donkey...not so much speed but it’s very powerful n cud take jammin

mark27
Street 2NR
Posts: 35
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby mark27 » May 6th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I want to put one in a d22 but it seems no one knows about it. Garages accustomed to qd32na manual pump. I looking for an electrician who could wire it before i actually buy. Drove a d22 with one coupled to a wl tranny and that thing ran like it was about to be murdered. That van could have literally outrun our ck4 gsr comfortably. The owner bought it like that and doesn't know who did the work.

User avatar
civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9707
Joined: May 16th, 2003, 4:14 pm
Location: Looking for a new trail
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby civic minded » May 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm

guys if u own a np300 , check where the radiator hose and tell me if it run close to the a/c pully where there is a chance contact can be made.


https://youtu.be/DXQuh57Mcuk

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » May 31st, 2018, 7:10 am

The steering rack bushings needs to be done in a machine shop. couple hundred.

nesha1717
Riding on 13's
Posts: 14
Joined: May 18th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Location: Waterloo
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby nesha1717 » June 7th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Does anyone have a left side running board for a 2010 nissan pathfinder? Or know where I could get one. Someone bounced mine today, the rubber was damaged. Thanks!

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » June 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Navara shock bushings could change. Getting a rbi replacement for a 100$

matt1092
Riding on 13's
Posts: 6
Joined: May 21st, 2016, 10:15 am

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby matt1092 » June 16th, 2018, 6:23 am

Anybody have a td27 4x4 gearbox fs?

smily245
Street 2NR
Posts: 41
Joined: June 23rd, 2009, 7:38 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby smily245 » June 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Anybody have a high pressure power steering line for a frontier QD32

User avatar
K_Ali
Street 2NR
Posts: 45
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 9:55 am
Location: Sangre Grande
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby K_Ali » July 30th, 2018, 11:51 am

I recently swapped a YD25 on my D22 Frontier with a QD32 N/A.

After the swap I noticed the engine was burning blueish smoke with RPM Increase. I tried troubleshooting the issue from bad, valve stem seals, to warn rings, Fuel Filter etc.

1st Step
Thought water was in the Filter, Changed Fuel Filter, same problem.

2nd Step
From an online forum, some folks had mentioned that bad diesel fuel can contribute to blue smoke, the Van was down for an entire year. So I decided to run a Diesel Purge from Liqui Moly, bypassing the Tank Fuel and running primarily from the Canister.
In noticed little to no Blue smoke when the product was used.

3rd step
I drained the Fuel Tank and replaced with fresh Diesel, same issue, Blue smoke.

3rd Step
Changed Piston Rings, Small end Bearing, New Valve stem seals, New Head Gasket, Valve Lapping.
After all that, same problem.

4th Step
Did the Liqui Moly bypass again, same results as step 2

I am lost, is there a big difference between the Liqui Moly and Diesel, so much that it burns cleaner?

Help is appreciated.

User avatar
jaithon
Street 2NR
Posts: 39
Joined: August 4th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby jaithon » July 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm

The tappet pan vent, is it venting into the air filter housing? If not, do that, dont block that outlet atall, that can/will contribute to the blue smoke

User avatar
K_Ali
Street 2NR
Posts: 45
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 9:55 am
Location: Sangre Grande
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby K_Ali » July 30th, 2018, 3:11 pm

jaithon wrote:The tappet pan vent, is it venting into the air filter housing? If not, do that, dont block that outlet atall, that can/will contribute to the blue smoke
The PCV is venting as should, not blocked.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11097
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Ted_v2 » July 31st, 2018, 10:14 am

Oil catch can would solve it. Pass the pcv line thru the catch can and the other side on the intake.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests