TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
whiteknight1431
Street 2NR

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby whiteknight1431 » October 15th, 2014, 9:03 am

lighthammer wrote:
whiteknight1431 wrote:Hey guys, took my nav (4x4 6forward manual massy version) for a test run on the Golconda to Debe extension of the highway. And while I stretched rpms in each gear I notice that 5th and 6th gear plumes of black smoke kept coming out the exhaust, and I felt a slight bit noticeable hold back and my temperature guage kept going up to about 3/4. Any ideas of what might be going wrong?

same thing happening to mine bro, and i now reaching 130,000km on the odometer.

The black plumes of smoke could possibly be an air restriction... so start with the simple stuff and move ur your way upwards, eg. check for dirty filter (knock it out and see what dust comes out), check your hoses for kinks and also check your boost hose on the inlet main hose and see if didn't pop out....

About your temp gauge, I have the same problem to the point where it only goes up either when i'm carrying extra heavy load (eg. a pallet of bricks in the tray, or a bunch of fat people in the backseat)... or if i'm going above a certain RPM esp. in the middle of the day when it's hot - i even noticed the temp rising when going up the steep part of the Maracas main road (just after you pass the pillars from santa cruz).....

I checked everything, changed coolant and used genuine (i.e. expensive) nissan coolant from Motorist (I figured the 3rd party coolant wasn't mixed properly and couldn't handle the heat and awesome power of my ol' datsun).... changed out thermostat, checked hoses, flushed radiator, washed out the fins multiple times....
Then I realized the fan had a bit of play on it whenever I killed the engine and it stopped after the turbo timer counted down. I figured the clutch on the fan was wearing out, i.e. the fluid needed to be changed (hint - the fan's suppsoed to be loose when cold and stiff when hot, just like well... something else that gets stiff when hot..... :shock: ...)

Haven't done that yet, (too lazy and also too busy with work, etc.).
But as soon as I get to cehck it, i'll let you know - or if you feel so inclined, you can grab a 10-spanner and take off the fan and see if the rear-side of clutch assembly can be disassembled and the clutch oil be replaced (use the special clutch oil, and not no damned silicone unless you want your navara to sound like an old nissan 720 pickup on a hot day, big metal clutch fan only blowing RRAAWWRRRRRRRRRR... even when you're just parking your van in tru valu carpark).

hope that helps!

Thanks for the great information lighthammer, will carry out all the checks you recommend, but I have a drop in K&N air filter that I religiously clean every 5000km, so I doubt it's that but I'll still double check. The lines I can do, the clutch fan :cry: gonna have to carry it to the massy stores (with some KY) and hear what they say about it. Thanks again will keep you posted on the progress.

whiteknight1431
Street 2NR

Postby whiteknight1431 » October 15th, 2014, 9:04 am

lighthammer wrote:
whiteknight1431 wrote:Hey guys, took my nav (4x4 6forward manual massy version) for a test run on the Golconda to Debe extension of the highway. And while I stretched rpms in each gear I notice that 5th and 6th gear plumes of black smoke kept coming out the exhaust, and I felt a slight bit noticeable hold back and my temperature guage kept going up to about 3/4. Any ideas of what might be going wrong?

same thing happening to mine bro, and i now reaching 130,000km on the odometer.

The black plumes of smoke could possibly be an air restriction... so start with the simple stuff and move ur your way upwards, eg. check for dirty filter (knock it out and see what dust comes out), check your hoses for kinks and also check your boost hose on the inlet main hose and see if didn't pop out....

About your temp gauge, I have the same problem to the point where it only goes up either when i'm carrying extra heavy load (eg. a pallet of bricks in the tray, or a bunch of fat people in the backseat)... or if i'm going above a certain RPM esp. in the middle of the day when it's hot - i even noticed the temp rising when going up the steep part of the Maracas main road (just after you pass the pillars from santa cruz).....

I checked everything, changed coolant and used genuine (i.e. expensive) nissan coolant from Motorist (I figured the 3rd party coolant wasn't mixed properly and couldn't handle the heat and awesome power of my ol' datsun).... changed out thermostat, checked hoses, flushed radiator, washed out the fins multiple times....
Then I realized the fan had a bit of play on it whenever I killed the engine and it stopped after the turbo timer counted down. I figured the clutch on the fan was wearing out, i.e. the fluid needed to be changed (hint - the fan's suppsoed to be loose when cold and stiff when hot, just like well... something else that gets stiff when hot..... :shock: ...)

Haven't done that yet, (too lazy and also too busy with work, etc.).
But as soon as I get to cehck it, i'll let you know - or if you feel so inclined, you can grab a 10-spanner and take off the fan and see if the rear-side of clutch assembly can be disassembled and the clutch oil be replaced (use the special clutch oil, and not no damned silicone unless you want your navara to sound like an old nissan 720 pickup on a hot day, big metal clutch fan only blowing RRAAWWRRRRRRRRRR... even when you're just parking your van in tru valu carpark).

hope that helps!

Thanks for the great information lighthammer, will carry out all the checks you recommend, but I have a drop in K&N air filter that I religiously clean every 5000km, so I doubt it's that but I'll still double check. The lines I can do, the clutch fan :cry: gonna have to carry it to the massy stores (with some KY) and hear what they say about it. Thanks again will keep you posted on the progress.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 15th, 2014, 9:46 am

Cleaning a K&N filter so religiously might actually cause damage to the filter element.... but those things filter poorly from the get go.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 15th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Oem filter.
Maybe Sakura air filter if I didn't like the price of oem.
Even a Cheap paper element filter will clean air better than a k&n.... Might clog quicker and need replacing earlier.

But at the rate he washing and re oiling. ...

Have you ever held up a k&n filter to the light and observed the size of the holes in it. It also doesn't seal properly and has a tendency to quickly contaminate air flow sensors.

Take your pick.

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » October 16th, 2014, 11:50 am

Peeps....my cousin's Nav needs some injectors..... Anyone know where I can locate it without facing massy?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » October 19th, 2014, 10:55 am

Anyone has any idea if those regular headlight bulbs are so poor that they only last about 9 months or should I just check neal and massy to get their 'originals '. I will probably check an electrician but it seems strange to changes bulbs so soon, only the headlight though and no others

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 19th, 2014, 11:20 am

Pm hyper v racing and get some good replacement bulbs.
He stocks good stuff

Supra GT-FOUR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Supra GT-FOUR » October 19th, 2014, 11:34 am

Anybody know how to change the map light (the one near the rear view mirror)?

One side blown and I can get the entire housing out but can't take it apart to get to the bulb(i fraid to break it up). I can see the bulb is the dome style (tubular with contacts on both ends)

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » October 20th, 2014, 1:27 pm

i posted the step in a DIY earlier in the thread. roll back a few pages

whiteknight1431
Street 2NR

Postby whiteknight1431 » October 24th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Good day tuners, earlier today I saw my 4WD light came up on the dash, carried it by Massy to check. They found water in my transfer case and recommended that I change the transfer case, because if they change the oil and sensors the 4WD light (error) would still show up. Need some serious advice here. They quote me a transfer case at a discounted price of 22k.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 24th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Its a Nissan. Check some scrap yards for some gearbox .

whiteknight1431
Street 2NR

Postby whiteknight1431 » October 29th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I spoke to a colleague on work and he experienced the same problem, and it was some seal on the drive shaft inside the transfer case that needed to be changed and one sensor. Which cost 1500tt. So I'll look into that option. Will keep you guys posted.

shade360
Riding on 13's

Postby shade360 » November 4th, 2014, 12:40 am

Has anyone done the ECU remap from EcoTune Trinidad and experienced the benefits?

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » November 7th, 2014, 12:04 pm

You will mess up your fuel pump not to mention kill the guy behind you with crazy amounts of black smoke

shade360
Riding on 13's

Postby shade360 » November 7th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Oh!
Ok cool, wont mess with that then.. thanks ravist!

skyline dett
3NE 2NR for life

Postby skyline dett » November 10th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Good day tuners I have a manual navara from massy show room it's doing 12000k the van works good but is it wise to stop the show room service and handle it on my own or continue with the massy service ...ps Iam new to the diesel game

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 11th, 2014, 6:40 am

Anyone ever changed the back shocks on their D40?

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » November 11th, 2014, 10:38 am

hey guys i am looking for a left side door mirror or the chrome housing . anyone know where i can get one ???

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 11th, 2014, 9:27 pm

if you are looking for the glass alone with the plastic backing, check Fiaz in marabella

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » November 11th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Kenjo wrote:if you are looking for the glass alone with the plastic backing, check Fiaz in marabella

NAH chrome housing or whole light . The housing cracked

hunterz4life
Ricer

Postby hunterz4life » November 13th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Hey guys I have a PCK 4x4 auto navara (bought from Rampersad)... yesterday I was cruising about 40km then I heard a bang... sounded like it came from under the van in the rear... stopped instantly looked under everything looks normal... got back in the van put it in drive and heard the bang again... garage was 5mins away so decided to drive there.. got there did a dio scan and came up with code p0744 tranny stuck in fail safe mode... anyone ever had this problem if yes plz kindly advise solution asap tnx..

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » November 14th, 2014, 6:00 am

Check the cross.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 15th, 2014, 7:21 am

Kenjo wrote:Anyone ever changed the back shocks on their D40?

KYB or Tokico from Bobby's and Dollar Savers...

or if you want OEM, check ROC in bamboo.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 15th, 2014, 7:26 am

hunterz4life wrote:Hey guys I have a PCK 4x4 auto navara (bought from Rampersad)... yesterday I was cruising about 40km then I heard a bang... sounded like it came from under the van in the rear... stopped instantly looked under everything looks normal... got back in the van put it in drive and heard the bang again... garage was 5mins away so decided to drive there.. got there did a dio scan and came up with code p0744 tranny stuck in fail safe mode... anyone ever had this problem if yes plz kindly advise solution asap tnx..

The auto Navaras have a known issue with the backlash on the rear diff - most people will experience a small nudge or a bump when pulling up to a red light as the transmission downshifts and causes a slight knock down the drivetrain. One or two persons reported hearing the same banging noise - usually those symptoms go away on their own, or some people live with it because it's usually not harmful to the truck.

However, you should have the transmission checked, and fluids changed. When did you last service the transmission and change the fluid?
Check the first page of this same thread for the mileage intervals at which to change the fluids.

Hopefully it's nothing serious, but you may need to scrap down the box if the problem continues and/or you lose drive-power.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 15th, 2014, 8:40 am

So folks, my AC blower finally decided to conk out after 4 years of constant, faithful service... and perfect timing too, just before the rains started.

Now most trinidadians would say "aye bai you could scrap dat down and cyarry it by de electrician and de man go change out de brushes on dah blower moto and yuh good dey".... BUT, in all their wisdom, Nissan's blower motor on the Navara/Pathfinder was made as a sealed, single unit. No seam to crack open, no screws to unscrew and get access to the motor.... hence replacement of the entire motor+fan unit was in order.

So I picked up my phone, and called around to find out who would rape me and my wallet the least with respect to a new blower motor/fan assembly.

ROC - $1695 Vat Inc (didn't have any in stock)
Motorist - $1900 vat incl

NOBODY else had the blower motor/fan, whoever had wanted to sell me the entire a/c system and under-dash piping, starting at $3500 and going ..... so after my butt-raping i went and bought the blower and got ready to service my ol datsun.

List of tools & parts:

- screw driver with star-bit
(specialized star-shaped screws on the blower, but you can take them out and replace wth conventional phillip-head screws if you want)

- vacuum cleaner with hose attachment
- flashlight or light
- new blower motor w/fan
- keys to the truck to leave in ignition and play your favourite tunes while you work

Here's how you do it:

- first pull the seat all the way back to make room to work

Then you can go ahead and check underneath the glove compartment and you'll see that the blower motor is very easily accessible....

Now to remove the blower is very simple... it takes 4 screws underneath the blower, and unclip the two wires - one for the motor power, and one for the heater relay.

Here's a picture of what you need to take out... PINK arrows show the location of the screws, and look at the notes I scribbled...

Once you've unclipped the wires and unscrewed the screws, the blower simply drops down into your hand.

Note how the outline of the blower fits exactly into the hole... when you're remounting the new blower it will line up in that particular outline.

After doing this, I noticed all of the dust collecting inside the blower ducts and around the blower housing, so I took my shop vac and cleaned it all up, for cleaner A/C air...

Next, I replaced my cabin AC filters, bought a couple from ROC previously.... was $122 each I believe. The navara carries two of them.

Here's the old filters.... NASTY!

Note that the two filters combine to make one single filter, and there's a seal on the outer three edges on each filter.

(check the part no. here on the box, in case you need to order the filters)

To access the filter housing, open the glovebox and press in the two sides of the glovebox so that when it fully opens, it will open ALL the way out and downwards, giving you full access to the blower filter.

Remove the cover of the filter housing by pulling out the upper tabs and then pushing up on the lower tabs with your fingernails...

Then simply take out the old filters, and then install the new filters... make sure to keep the inner side without the foam seal of each filter facing each other... it's easier if you install them one by one.

Next, remounting everything in the reverse order, you should be done in another 10-15 mins.
The hardest thing was to hold up the blower motor with one hand and trying to line it back up into the hole with all the screws, and then screwing it in with one hand still.

After that's done, you can now enjoy another few years of faithful, cold air service.

Here's a video I did of the new blower... it's so powerful now! I could dry my hands in this kind of breeze.... just like the power hand dryers in Pricesmart!!!

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 15th, 2014, 10:10 am

thanks man!!

errandboi
Riding on 13's

Postby errandboi » November 17th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Quick couple of questions..do any of you all find yourselves reaching the time intervals before the milage intervals for servicing your van? And if so do you stick to "whichever comes first"? I ask because I dont do that much milage (about 1k a month) and I often end up servicing or changing something on the time intervals. Even the OP didnt make mention of how important these time intervals are for servicing as opposed to milage intervals and I cant remember seeing it discussed anywhere in the 54pgs of this thread. ...sooooo am I wasting money?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 20th, 2014, 9:54 pm

do it by mileage bro - synthetic oils don't have an "expiry date" per se like old school mineral oils do.
And when it comes to rubber seals, they last a lot longer than old school nissan seals used to.

Save ur money.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 20th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Anyone knows how simple it is to change the shocks on the back of the Navara ?

hunterz4life
Ricer

Postby hunterz4life » November 20th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Tuners I need a navara 4x4 auto transmission to buy asap... did a scan and 2 codes came up, p1757 front brake solenoid and p0744 TTC solenoid... mech say its the valve body... not getting a valve body to buy so willing to change the tranny.. second opinions welcome tnx

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”